Evangelion References and Homages

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
NinjaLobster
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby NinjaLobster » Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:46 am

The Evangelions have appeared in quite a lot of Super Robot Wars games, actually! Aside from the two mentioned, they also appear in SRW F/F-Final, SRW MX, SRW Compact, and they're gonna appear in the upcoming SRW Alpha 3. And yeah, they're almost always SD and cute. :P

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:42 am

Defectron wrote:Anyway in the abenobashi manga they did a much more blatant parody then the anime and had sasshi and arumi pilot something that looks almost exactly like unit 1.

Yeah, the "Banangelion", or whatever?

Also in one of the more recent sgt frog manga, Keroro is tries to look cool by acting like Gendo. He does the Gendo pose at his desk with his hands over his mouth. Giroro gets a little confused by Keroros suddenly serious behavior , but in the next panel you see that under Keroro's desk is one of the evangelion graphic novels.

Also in thesgt frog manga where Giroro gets turned into a beserk oni they try to stop him with balkalite which fails.

Have scans for any of these?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Ryo
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Ryo » Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:03 pm

Defectron wrote:Anyway in the abenobashi manga they did a much more blatant parody then the anime and had sasshi and arumi pilot something that looks almost exactly like unit 1. Also in one of the more recent sgt frog manga, Keroro is tries to look cool by acting like Gendo. He does the Gendo pose at his desk with his hands over his mouth. Giroro gets a little confused by Keroros suddenly serious behavior , but in the next panel you see that under Keroro's desk is one of the evangelion graphic novels.

Also in thesgt frog manga where Giroro gets turned into a beserk oni they try to stop him with balkalite which fails.

zOMG!! torrent plz!!!11one

... I love doing that :lol:
Asuka > Rei

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Fri May 13, 2005 2:09 pm

http://data.4channel.org/a/src/1115997472532.jpg

From GAINAX's newest production, "He is my Master". Sometimes I think GAINAX is worse than their fans.
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:03 am

The character Shinji in the GTO manga (I forget if it was there in the anime) has a Rei poster and an Asuka poster in his room. I find that amusing, and oddly creepy. :shock:
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Soluzar
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar » Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:24 am

Dave wrote:The character Shinji in the GTO manga (I forget if it was there in the anime) has a Rei poster and an Asuka poster in his room. I find that amusing, and oddly creepy. :shock:

Was he actually called Shinji? I remember the posters, but I didn't notice the kid's name was Shinji.
Natsukashii, ne?

Ryo
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Ryo » Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:30 am

Ehh... Do you mean Noburo? (sp)

It isn't that strange that he has Evangelion posters, considering that the GTO manga was produced in 97.
Asuka > Rei

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:52 pm

Have scans for any of these?

I'll try to get some up later this weekend if I have the time.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Ryo
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Ryo » Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:15 pm

[Originally posted by me on AN's Evangelion forum]

I recently came across a site where you could download a couple of those old-school hentai dating sims - the type where you are given 100 or so days to date some stereotypical girls and be "rewarded" with one or two hentai pictures in the end. While I'm not a great fan of this genre (mostly because it's so frigging ridicolus!), I downloaded one of them - an old game called "Season of Sakura" - to play when I feel bored.

Today was one of those days, so I played it. Once the title screen appeared, I noticed that some of the ten or so girls looked kinda familiar. Not that this is strange; It is a hentai game filled with with stereotypical girls after all.

Before I started to play this game from 1997, I chosed the "character intro" mode to find out a little more about the characters. After scrolling trough pictures and info of five or so remotely intresting girls, I got a major deja-vu moment:

Enter Ruri Shiromizu, an introverted, depressed rich girl who has been transferred to over 100 schools trough her entire life.

You could imagine my reaction when I saw the picture I linked to above. But this wasn't the end; it was just the beginning...

Aki Hinagiku is a fiery redhead whose special talents are tennis and roundhouse kicks.

Kyoko Kobayashi is the purple haired homeroom teacher of the game's protagonist, Shuji. Interests? Beer, sake and getting drunk.

Makoto Shimazaki is the local computer geek and - you won't believe this - military otaku. He's also into older women.

And as if this wasn't enough, one of the girls (who seems to be a Ritsuko wannabe, btw) has a younger brother whose name is Shinji Shinfuji.
Asuka > Rei

darth_mark
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby darth_mark » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:17 am

Eva also makes many refrences to one of annos other anime Nadia. there used to be a site with them all it was rather cool to see, if i find it agian ill post a link.

is this what your talking about? it lists pretty much all the references between evangelion and nadia. interesting stuff.
"Let's Instrumentality! <3" - SEELE

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:33 pm

darth_mark wrote:is this what your talking about? it lists pretty much all the references between evangelion and nadia. interesting stuff.

That was very interesting. Who would have thought that Gainax used cross show cel recycling.

Oh wait.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

SSGokuJr
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SSGokuJr » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:26 pm

EVA-01X wrote:Was it here that somebody said that in Final Fantasy VII in the Golden Saucers Showroom there is a D-Type Equipment thingie? If it was here, then I just wish to confirm it. Also in FFVII, Odin's Grunge Lance attack looks very similer to Unit-00 throwing the lance... it even rips through the atmosphere the same way...

FF VII is my favorite game of all time and when you said that I remember my strategy guide saying something about that suit WAY WAY before I knew anything about Evangelion and I took the time to find my SG and this is what it said.

This is at the Gold Saucer

"Evidently one Evangelion fan at Square managed to sneak a hidden reference to his favorte anime into FFVII... Search the robot suit in the background here... Look familiar? If was from the Magma Diver episode of the Evangelion TV anime. And just to make sure no one thinks it's a cincidence, the programmer gave it the same model type (if you search it) as the actual Magma Diver in the anime."

I would love to see the the Evas or the Angels fight the Weapons.

SSGokuJr
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SSGokuJr » Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:33 pm

Sorry for the double post but this has nothing to do with my last one.

On the new series that shows on FX called Rescue Me the main character's nephew is a anime fan and he has a poster of and End of Eva it is of Shinji and Asuka looking up at the giant Rei head.

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby EVA-01X » Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:23 pm

And Speaking of SRW, has anyone seen the opening for @3?
Shougouki, Ideon AND Gunbuster get to kick some seroious ass, not to mention that Unit-01 stops a gaint ship/missle thing with it bare hands before Gaiogaer just owns the shit out of it
and Shinji even gets to tell Kira Yamato off in it ingame
The demon returns after a long slumber....
http://www.evamade.org/user.php?id.161
New Signature Image Policy
^Clicky for Evamade!

sachiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby sachiel » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:09 pm

SSGokuJr wrote:Sorry for the double post but this has nothing to do with my last one.

On the new series that shows on FX called Rescue Me the main character's nephew is a anime fan and he has a poster of and End of Eva it is of Shinji and Asuka looking up at the giant Rei head.

I need to watch that show now, for that reason alone.

:o

Heidroch
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Heidroch » Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:55 am

Also in the end of episode 3 of FLCL, Naota's teacher is bandaged in the same way as Rei/Asuka.

SSGokuJr
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SSGokuJr » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:14 pm

I saw on another fourm there was a episode of Justice League were there was a giant robot that looked a lot like Eva 1 that got its ass kicked by the League. There is a picture But I don't know where to find it.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

References I know of

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:35 pm

Other GAINAX shows, ie: Abenoshi Shopping Arcade Next Time Misato-style preview; that girl (forget her name) running to school late in the similar get-up Other World episode 26 Rei was in, piece of toast and all! :)

I think there was a blatent reference to it in Excel Saga episode 26 (other episodes too?), when the Earth's covered in Hyatt's blood (ie: the Red Earth from the LCL Sea in 26'), but I'm not certain....
And I believe I heard there were a few refrences in Sergent Frog (such as some scene of a GGNR-like-being holding that main frog with the Lance of Longinus), and Ishida Akira (Kaworu-kun ) happens to be in that show...

I don't remember EVER seeing any references on anything like Sailormoon (1992-1996/early '97.) (well, besides Kotono and Ogata doing both shows and their roles are reversed. ie: SM: Uranus (Ogata) is the superior Moon (Kotono) isn't. Eva: Misato=superior (Kotono) and Shinji (Ogata, duh) obviously isn't , so I guess that's out...

Oh! But Misato's brand of beer is (Y)ebisu, and in Orchuban Ebichu, Ebichu's voice is done by Kotono...but maybe that's a reference to the other way around; sorry. -_-;;

Final Fantasy 7: Magma Diver Suit in the Golden saucer (I really ought to check that out...) and supposedly, Sephiroth's idea of "becoming one with the planet" (along with all other souls) is similar to Instrumenality.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:10 pm

Yebichu beer is a reference to a manga Anno likes, called Ebichu, which GAINAX adapted into an anime, so, yeah, it's Eva referencing something rather than the other way around.

Quiddity
Lilith

Re: References I know of

•      
  •      

Postby Quiddity » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:11 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Final Fantasy 7: Magma Diver Suit in the Golden saucer (I really ought to check that out...) and supposedly, Sephiroth's idea of "becoming one with the planet" (along with all other souls) is similar to Instrumenality.

Yeah, but giving the timing of when FF 7 came out (before End of Eva, to my knowledge), I highly doubt it was influenced by that. As has been mentioned by myself and others before, Eva took Instrumentality from Space Runaway Ideon and Arthur C. Clarke's 'Childhood's End'.
"Quiddity is the sea. And in it are islands, called the Ephemeris. Three dips in the dream-sea. Any less, and we'd be insane. Any more and we wouldn't be human"

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”