[MANGA] Neon Genesis Evangelion Gakuen Datenroku

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:51 pm

I think I only read up to chapter 16 or so, so I'd need to catch up and re-read anything I missed, anyway.

As long as it has a satisfying conclusion (wrapping things up nicely) like Angelic Days/GoS2 did, I don't mind the fact it ends short: GoS2 was only 6 volumes after all, so I guess Gakuen Datenroku will be 4 volumes or so.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Oedipusfoot
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Oedipusfoot » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:30 pm

I can't believe GD ended so soon. There were so many ideas that could be delved into more deeply...I can't see how it could have been wrapped up in five chapters like that. Man...I feel like my cat just died.

MatrixRefugee
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MatrixRefugee » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:34 pm

Any chance of this being translated into English, or are there any scanlations available??
My Anime List profile || DarkScribes page

Avatar: At least the wintry gent is smiling a bit, instead of facepalming...

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:55 pm

There's a scanlation group out there that's translated up to Chapter 16, TurtleParadise. I'm guessing it's only a matter of time before they translate the rest of it.

Marzan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Marzan » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:38 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:There's a scanlation group out there that's translated up to Chapter 16, TurtleParadise. I'm guessing it's only a matter of time before they translate the rest of it.

Thanks for the tip
And everything under the Sun is in tune, but the Sun is eclipsed by the Moon- Roger Waters

"Timeo hominem unius libris"

MatrixRefugee
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MatrixRefugee » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:51 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:There's a scanlation group out there that's translated up to Chapter 16, TurtleParadise. I'm guessing it's only a matter of time before they translate the rest of it.

:: Making notes:: Got it. I'm on the hunt for it. Thanks!!
My Anime List profile || DarkScribes page

Avatar: At least the wintry gent is smiling a bit, instead of facepalming...

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:50 pm

So I looked over the last stage raw....

SPOILER: Show
Gendo tries to free Yui from Yggdrasil, which apparently threatens to destroy the world. Kaworu gives up his core or something, which seems to restore balance to the Force or whatever the hell. Last two pages consist of Shinji, Asuka and Rei walking to school together.

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:08 pm

Interesting stuff, Luc! ^_^ I can't wait to see how the previous chapters the go.

For those wondering in regards to shipping in the story:

Ending spoiler  SPOILER: Show
According to Luc on AIM, the final stage and previous stages don't have much in the way of shipping. After Shinji's crush with Rei and him saving Asuka from that void, it's set aside to make way for Shinji and Kaworu's relationship in general.

Ambrosia
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ambrosia » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:05 pm

Lucretius wrote:
Kaworu gives up his core or something

I haven't seen any raws, but does that mean
he dies or something? Or does he just lose a part of him like someone would lose an arm or a leg?

I want more scanlated chapters.

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:12 am

I'm pretty sure he dies, much like in the original series/manga.

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

Ambrosia
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ambrosia » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:36 pm

Okay, thank you. I would be quite surprised if it didn't turn out like that.

Sun Stealer
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sun Stealer » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:42 pm

It is an okay read so far, but whenever they try to mix the norse symbolism with Eva's standard christian/kabbalistic/hermetic/deist/gnostic/neo-platonist/jungian mishmash symbolism it smashes my suspsension of disbelief into little tiny pieces. They just don't mix well. Does anyone know what the deal is with Gakuen's cosmology? They're both confusing, but where as Evangelion's was complicated but understandable, Gakuen's is contradictory. And why would NERV use a catholic school as a secret training ground for einjerjar. I know it's supposed to be a front, but wouldn't all those theology lessons and chapel services conflict with
secretly recruiting and indoctrinating students to be warriors in the fight to save Ygdrassil?

Marzan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Marzan » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:12 am

Sun Stealer wrote:It is an okay read so far, but whenever they try to mix the norse symbolism with Eva's standard christian/kabbalistic/hermetic/deist/gnostic/neo-platonist/jungian mishmash symbolism it smashes my suspsension of disbelief into little tiny pieces. They just don't mix well. Does anyone know what the deal is with Gakuen's cosmology?\?[/spoiler]

It's bit hard to swallow for me too. Norse mythology is one of those classic examples of paganism that just doesn't fit well with the rest. I wonder how much Anno and the rest of the EVA creative team signed off on GD.
And everything under the Sun is in tune, but the Sun is eclipsed by the Moon- Roger Waters

Schrodingerscat
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Schrodingerscat » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:27 am

Marzan wrote:I wonder how much Anno and the rest of the EVA creative team signed off on GD.

Anno doesn't really seem like the type to say "ok yeah, go ahead and make a girly, emotionally satisfying take on my series, where all my characters are either pretty much the exact opposite of how I wanted them to be, or are a mutated, oversimplified version of their original selves, set in a universe that is incredibly juvenile in articulation."

But that's just my guess.

Honestly though, the only way I could bring myself to read GD was by telling myself it was basically just one of those instrumentality-alternate-realities thingers.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:32 am

Has Viz or Dark Horse mention any plans on releaseing this to the USA yet?
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Marzan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Marzan » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:10 am

Guyver Spawn wrote:Has Viz or Dark Horse mention any plans on releaseing this to the USA yet?

According to some of the notes in the third volume of Shinji Ikari Raising Project, a new Evangelion manga will be released by Dark Horse in the summer of 2010. I suppose it's this one.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:57 pm

Awesome!:jiggy: From what I read of this manga, I enjoy it a lot so I'd pick it up without a doubt. (Besides, it's the only other Eva manga in existence since GoS2, Sadamoto's Eva, and the Shinji Raising Project manga are out state-side.)

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:48 pm

Volume 4 is the final volume of this series. Kind of odd considering I thought GD actually had more chapters than the GoS2 manga (although the GoS2 manga did have 6 volumes...), but whatever.

Nice that this series will be released by Dark Horse in the Summer, the ending sounds somewhat decent, I think.

Enki v.2
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Enki v.2 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:39 pm

Schrodingerscat wrote:
Marzan wrote:I wonder how much Anno and the rest of the EVA creative team signed off on GD.

Anno doesn't really seem like the type to say "ok yeah, go ahead and make a girly, emotionally satisfying take on my series, where all my characters are either pretty much the exact opposite of how I wanted them to be, or are a mutated, oversimplified version of their original selves, set in a universe that is incredibly juvenile in articulation."

I imagine that's precisely what he has done with ALL the eva spinoff manga (with the exception of the main one, which is an abbreviated version of the series with more blue pill). I mean, Angelic Days and the ISRP are basically just poor fixer-sue fanfiction.

Hello
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Hello » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:41 am

And one could argue rebuild has turned more harem-ish.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”