Eva, Anime Expo, and Bang Zoom?

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Eva, Anime Expo, and Bang Zoom?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:38 am

http://www.anime-expo.org/presenting-evangelion-20th-anniversary-celebration-featuring-yoko-takahashi/

Apparently, there's already speculation/controversies about what Bang Zoom (a separate dub studio in LA; neither ADV or Funi have really used 'em) has to do with the event.

Maybe this is a hint about who's nabbing the NGE BD/DVD rights?
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:03 am

I saw you and _NJ mention this. If this is true, FUNimation must have royally screwed up.
Also known as Cowboy Dev.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:17 am

^ Funimation screwed up well before February of last year. That being said, I’ve never heard of this dub studio. I have no clue if they’re gonna get the rights to Eva or not. I would think that, if Anno wasn’t still up with dealing with Funi a bit more, then he would try to get his Eva video materials out through a larger US distributor, like Sony Pictures Classics or something like that. (Though that happens mostly with movies and not TV shows.)

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:26 am

I've heard of Bang Zoom, but I think some dubs on Toonami/Adult Swim had that company post-credits. So I don't know if it was Funimation or who.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:43 am

Okay, found some stuff on them. Bang Zoom! Entertainment started in 1993. They worked with ADV Films twice, once with Arc the Lad and the other time on Wild Arms.

They worked with Sentai Filmworks (A sort of sister company to ADV Films, used since ADV’s bankruptcy) a total of 4 times on the projects Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works, K-On!, Mahoromatic, Persona 4: The Animation, and Rozen Maiden. (They also worked with Manga Ent., but not for any of the Eva films.)

On April 26, 2010, its C.E.O. Eric P. Sherman sent an open letter to anime fans stating that the company will most likely stop producing English dubs of anime titles in 2011 if the industry does not start showing improvement. They’re still in business doing some Western animated films and voice dubs to both Western and Japanese video games.

Here’s their website.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:48 am

This is the only reason I recognize the name. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4pVmdEctgQ
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:20 pm

Didn't realize SSD had already made a thread about it, so I'll delete my old thread and drop this here:

I'm not excited about the dub; I'm excited that I get to see Yoko Takahashi perform like (and I plan on taking some merch to get signed!)

Adaminator1
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Adaminator1 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:26 pm

"Voiceover Presentation"

That could mean so many things.

I wonder if they licensed the TV-BD's.
I finally put something here!

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:48 pm

View Original PostAdaminator1 wrote:I wonder if they licensed the TV-BD's.

Only in my dreams would it happen so quickly.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:40 pm

If Anno gets announced as a guest I will flip my shit.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:48 pm

You'll flip your shit? I'm the one that's going to be there. I'm going to flip my shit.

:rei_hissyfit:

Also, Guy: just because they license it doesn't mean they're necessarily getting it out any time soon. Look at Q.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:55 pm

They don't have to redub the series, though, do they? EOE maybe, because it's a very flawed dub, but it's not like they have to do a lot of production on their end other than getting the raw materials from Khara and packaging them up.

Edit: Actually, on second thought, they would have to make new subtitle masters from those raw materials because of the format change, but I don't know if they'd just use ADV's files. Would they really need to translate everything from scratch?
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:33 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:They don't have to redub the series, though, do they?

...I don't know if they'd just use ADV's files. Would they really need to translate everything from scratch?

Probably. Every instance I'm familiar with where a title has changed hands has seen it redubbed.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:32 pm

I know it won't happen, but I really wanna see Spencer and Grant replaced for the new dub if there is one. Nothing against them personally, but I'd really prefer if they went with the "female voices young male" route instead of a "40 year old man tries to sound pubescent" route.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:47 pm

I'll be making it to the event that day! I wanted to go to any other day of the convention because my mother's birthday is that day, but this event has my really excited, so I'll be taking her to dinner so it's all going to work out just fine!

@Nuclear Lunchbox: do you want to meet up for lunch or something before the event?
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:52 pm

I know it won't happen, but I really wanna see Spencer and Grant replaced for the new dub if there is one. Nothing against them personally, but I'd really prefer if they went with the "female voices young male" route instead of a "40 year old man tries to sound pubescent" route.

But THEY ARE Shinji and Asuka. They've been with the characters longer than any other VA and understand them better. For me at least, it would be really distracting to see Shinji, whom I cognitively associate with Spikes voice, done by a different VA.

Though GoatJesus did a pretty good Shinji in a 3.0 Fandub. . . So I don't think it's IMpossible. Just a big hurdle to get over.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:30 pm

They changed the voice cast for The Peanuts Gang every few terms or so because the cast got too old. Cast changes are nothing new.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:37 pm

That's because it was a mandate by Schulz himself to use real kids voices.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:43 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:That's because it was a mandate by Schulz himself to use real kids voices.

Maybe they should do the same with Eva. It'd be interesting to see the results.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:53 pm

You'd be locked up for child abuse. No kid should have to play someone like Shinji Ikari, they'd be scarred for life!

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”