Bluray release (TV + original movies) - August 26th 2015

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
TheDrmcvey
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby TheDrmcvey » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:57 am

View Original Postvito wrote:Archival looks eh...
SPOILER: Show

I think I would only get the Archival set just for the box. Then again when it comes to DVD's the Platinum set is the only one I really need.
Also got mine yesterday! Yay! Posted it on my twitter![/url][/twitter]
Eva Rebirth

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:18 am

View Original Postvito wrote:Archival looks eh...

That's the best the original broadcast versions are going to look on home video, IMHO. Not unless they decided to release them on Blu-ray at some point (is that even possible?). They seem to be somewhat of an improvement over the 1997-1999 DVDs in terms of quality and certain specific discs that came in the boxes in 2000-2001 (they were called Second Impact). I noticed they (the Archive DVDs) seem to be more "colorful". Maybe our resident svenge can clarify a bit on this?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:37 am

Maybe I'm just missing something, but shouldn't Archive Boxset look similar to the Renewal DVDs? I get it's meant to essentially BE the original TV broadcast/OA version on DVD, but still...
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

KRandMJ
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby KRandMJ » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:00 pm

View Original Postsvenge wrote:Address Line 1 is for your residence's physical address (e.g. "1 Main Street"). Do not put a PO Box there.

Address Line 2 is if you live in an apartment building or other multi-residence building. Were you to live in Apartment 37Q of 1 Main Street, you would put just "Apartment 37Q" in that line. If you live in a single-residence building (like a house) then leave it blank.

Thank you Svenge,:exalt: you have been very helpful!
EvaGeeks is a nightmare to navigate, still good tho.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:12 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Maybe I'm just missing something, but shouldn't Archive Boxset look similar to the Renewal DVDs? I get it's meant to essentially BE the original TV broadcast/OA version on DVD, but still...

No, it's meant to be the original, pre-Renewal versions. In Renewal, even the OA cuts were reproduced by back-editing from later material, which isn't being done this time.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:19 pm

@Paul: I wonder why that Reiquarium background supposedly isn't included then, since it's based on OA cuts. (The information way back when mentioned this is the TV based, On Air Edition.)

But of course the DVDs will look "poor" quality, as it's meant to be an archive...I'm not sure what else people were expecting since we have the shiny BDs at least.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:24 pm

Yes, but the Reiquarium background images were not in the original broadcast. They were added in the original DC version, but removed in Renewal for reasons I've never understood. So they are part of neither the original version (now Archive DVD), nor the final version (now BD). Unlike the several versions of the films, the intermediate version of that series episode seems have have been sidelined.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:58 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Maybe I'm just missing something, but shouldn't Archive Boxset look similar to the Renewal DVDs? I get it's meant to essentially BE the original TV broadcast/OA version on DVD, but still...

False. These are the masters used by TV Tokyo when they aired. Hence the analog artifacts and noise. These are the versions before any additional special effects or cuts were added for VHS, LD, or DVD. As in, "exactly how they aired in 1995". As in, the original cut of Star Wars before Lucas added in "Episode 4: A New Hope" to the title card.

EDIT: There really is no point in releasing these on Blu-ray Disc. The masters were most likely recorded on Beta or VHS tapes. You don't have much more than 525 lines of resolution on either of those systems.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:15 pm

View Original Postsquall.leonhart wrote: As in, the original cut of Star Wars before Lucas added in "Episode 4: A New Hope" to the title card.

If only we could get a Star Wars like that on home video in real life.

:sniffle:

That said, it makes sense the original broadcast versions are on DVD format because they aren't going to look any better on any other format.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:36 pm

View Original Postsquall.leonhart wrote:False. These are the masters used by TV Tokyo when they aired.

I mentioned as much in my post after that one.

Though I translated the summaries of what both Boxsets would include several months ago, I didn't realize even between TV-OA and VHS/LD-OA there would be such differences! (OA in this case meaning all the original episodes, not just On Air 21-24.)

Stevenbob
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Stevenbob » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:52 pm

[DELETED]

Do not involve this forum in piracy. -- The Eva Monkey
obligatory signature is obligatory

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:56 pm

I expect a mod will be along right soon to remind you of this part of the site rules:
Have some common sense and basic human decency.
Don’t ask for or provide links to illegally hosted copyrighted material.

squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:19 pm

A few lines were cut from Death(True):

Shinji: So you can't understand Misato, either?
Kaji: The Kanji we use for "she" means "a woman far away." And women will always seem to be on a distant shore. The gulf that separates male and female is deeper than any ocean.

The scene shows Kaji meeting his contact without the dialogue. It picks back up when he is in the bar with Ritsuko and Misato.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:31 pm

I'd really love a super detailed list of all the differences between Death, since they're all available to us now. Seeing the real Rebirth fansub yeaaars ago was fun, since Manga Entertainment's release was just a copy-paste of Air.

squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:51 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I'd really love a super detailed list of all the differences between Death, since they're all available to us now. Seeing the real Rebirth fansub yeaaars ago was fun, since Manga Entertainment's release was just a copy-paste of Air.

I'm almost done with subtitles for Death(True) and Rebirth. I can't give you a full detailed list yet since I'm only really listening to audio.

Aside from the the timing of many takes, only those 4 lines were missing in Death.

Rebirth is totally different from the Manga version (Air). There are different audio takes everywhere. They used different music cues in many cuts, most recycled from the TV series. When Misato is giving the revelation of the Angels and humans, there is some really haunting pipe organ music in the background. Air was silent save for the clang of the car going over the bridge plates. Asuka's "I don't want to die..." sequence used different takes for Kyoko (I am not going to bother separating out that shit. Holy shit, there was so much!) on two separate tracks, Asuka crying as a baby, and different takes for Asuka's lines. 4 layers of audio on a shitty stereo mix? I'll wait until my Blu-ray Discs come to separate them out in 5.1. I did catch a glimpse of the Entry Plugs on the Eva Series. They are missing the "KAWORU-01" stenciling.

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby ath » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:55 am

Just did a quick check - the audio on the BDs follows the same format as Renewal. The main track is the 5.1 mix from Renewal but the the secondary 2.0 track is still the audio from the Video & LD edition, not a straight 5.1->2.0 mixdown.
You can check for yourself switching the two audio tracks in Episode 1.

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:58 am

View Original Postath wrote:Just did a quick check - the audio on the BDs follows the same format as Renewal. The main track is the 5.1 mix from Renewal but the the secondary 2.0 track is still the audio from the Video & LD edition, not a straight 5.1->2.0 mixdown.
You can check for yourself switching the two audio tracks in Episode 1.

That would be consistent with the stated reason for leaving off the "extra" background dialogue during production.

Platinum Booklets wrote:"Some of the additional recorded dialogue is material that was intentionally left off the 2.0 stereo recording, even though Director Anno originally planned for it when the show was being produced, because it was surmised that including those lines would be information overload, making everything harder to hear.

shinhito
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby shinhito » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:55 pm

View Original Postsquall.leonhart wrote:I'm almost done with subtitles for Death(True) and Rebirth. I can't give you a full detailed list yet since I'm only really listening to audio.

Aside from the the timing of many takes, only those 4 lines were missing in Death.

Rebirth is totally different from the Manga version (Air). There are different audio takes everywhere. They used different music cues in many cuts, most recycled from the TV series. When Misato is giving the revelation of the Angels and humans, there is some really haunting pipe organ music in the background. Air was silent save for the clang of the car going over the bridge plates. Asuka's "I don't want to die..." sequence used different takes for Kyoko (I am not going to bother separating out that shit. Holy shit, there was so much!) on two separate tracks, Asuka crying as a baby, and different takes for Asuka's lines. 4 layers of audio on a shitty stereo mix? I'll wait until my Blu-ray Discs come to separate them out in 5.1. I did catch a glimpse of the Entry Plugs on the Eva Series. They are missing the "KAWORU-01" stenciling.

Not to burst your bubble but there's already a pretty comprehensive guide detailing the difference between Rebirth and Air since Rebirth was available on the original DVDs.

[s]http://wiki.evageeks.org/Guides:Rebirth_vs._Episode_25'[/s]

EDIT: I guess it got deleted? I don't know why it would, it was really good and thorough.

EDIT2: Nevermind, I finally found the right link! Sorry forum peoples!

http://wiki.evageeks.org/Guides:Rebirth_vs._Episode_25%27
He then played every song from 1993. The crowd applauded as he curtsied bashfully.
Your eyelashes tickled my neck, with every nervous blink. And it was perfect, until the telephone started ringing

squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:13 pm

Thanks. I was already aware of that[s:30funbo8], however, you should fix the hyperlink[/s:30funbo8].

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:49 pm

Found a blog posting that gives a decent rundown on the "Archives" DVD box...

Evafan @ Livedoor

The same blog also has a page about the changes to Evangelion:Death...

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”