Bluray release (TV + original movies) - August 26th 2015

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:04 pm

View Original PostKRandMJ wrote:Will they make a Blu-Ray set with English subtitles? :huh:
I'm on the fringe with the Japanese Blu-Ray (To Buy or :bigeyes: not To Buy)

It's possible that it'll get re-licensed for Blu-ray, but who knows when that will happen and/or how badly the eventual licensee will botch it.

I'm still of the opinion that this will be a limited release like its 2003 "Renewal" monolith counterpart, so if you can spare the $252.40 (assuming you're Stateside) that it costs from Amazon Japan I'd do it. You may well not get a second chance for some time.
Last edited by svenge on Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KRandMJ
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby KRandMJ » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:20 pm

View Original Postsvenge wrote:It's possible that it'll get re-licensed for Blu-ray, but who knows when that will happen and/or how badly the eventual licensee will botch it.

I'm still of the opinion that this will be a limited release like its 2003 "Renewal" monolith counterpart, so if you can spare the $252.40 (assuming you're Stateside) that it costs I'd do it. You may well not get a second chance for some time.

$252.40?
How is the Shipping fee?
Can I use my Amazon(U.S.) account for purchases on Amazon(Japan)?
EvaGeeks is a nightmare to navigate, still good tho.

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:23 pm

View Original PostKRandMJ wrote:$252.40?
How is the Shipping fee?
Can I use my Amazon(U.S.) account for purchases on Amazon(JP)?

I included the shipping fee in my quote (note that they use DHL for Japan -> US shipments). You'll have to create a separate Amazon Japan account to order it, but it's pretty easy to do so.

KRandMJ
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby KRandMJ » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:37 pm

I'm kinda new to this, how is the (track record) when it comes to stateside releases?
Is 3.0 an anomaly or the norm?
Last edited by KRandMJ on Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:52 pm

View Original PostKRandMJ wrote:I'm kinda new to this, how is the (track record) when it comes to stateside releases?
Is 3.0 an anomaly or the norm?

In my mind, the biggest obstacle to a Eva TV release Stateside is money. Khara is undoubtedly going to want $Texas for the rights!
Last edited by svenge on Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KRandMJ
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby KRandMJ » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:21 pm

View Original Postsvenge wrote:I included the shipping fee in my quote (note that they use DHL for Japan -> US shipments). You'll have to create a separate Amazon Japan account to order it, but it's pretty easy to do so.

I'm sold...What the hell do I put under "Phonetic" -o-;
http://i.imgur.com/l7c7CnP.png

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:36 pm

View Original PostKRandMJ wrote:I'm sold...What the hell do I put under "Phonetic" -o-;
http://i.imgur.com/l7c7CnP.png

Just put your name in there again.

The form's original intent was for Japanese people to put their full name (typically consisting of kanji and hiragana) in the first box and a phonetic representation of their name (using katakana) in the second box. Obviously that concept doesn't exactly carry over in Western languages, but that's just how Amazon Japan's account database is...

KRandMJ
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby KRandMJ » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:13 pm

View Original Postsvenge wrote:I included the shipping fee in my quote (note that they use DHL for Japan -> US shipments). You'll have to create a separate Amazon Japan account to order it, but it's pretty easy to do so.

Uhhhh... What the difference between "Address Line 1 & 2"? -o-;
Sorry, I don't want to screw this up.
http://i.imgur.com/zQFye9w.png

Also Thanks!

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:31 pm

View Original Postsvenge wrote:It's possible that it'll get re-licensed for Blu-ray, but who knows when that will happen and/or how badly the eventual licensee will botch it.

Why is it an automatic assumption the that the North American licensee, whoever it may be, is going to screw it up?
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:48 pm

Because that's what experience shows?

Japan prices their media according to their own economy. Most westerners don't understand that and see the products as overpriced.
Because of that North American companies cut as many corners as they possibly can to knock the price down to foolishly compete with hollywood prices on media. No extras, fewer discs, significantly lower bitrate, etc.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:53 pm

I got my TV broadcast box set earlier today. Thought I'd share the unboxing of it.

SPOILER: Show

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:01 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Because that's what experience shows?

Can you give some examples from other anime? I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, it's just that 90% of anime collection is DVD, so there's nothing for me to compare it to.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

M2Dane
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby M2Dane » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:03 pm

I'm so much on the fence about getting the archive box as well. I already got my blu-rays. If its still available mid September for order it may just have to be mine.

squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:20 pm

View Original PostM2Dane wrote:I'm so much on the fence about getting the archive box as well. I already got my blu-rays. If its still available mid September for order it may just have to be mine.

The Archive box does have the TV cut of Death & Rebirth in it. One of the reasons I bought it. It is also interesting to see the old TV masters. I want to stick these in and watch them on a shitty tube TV just for the retro aspect.

Death(True) (so far) is not quite different from Death(True^2). Audio takes are done at different times. Some come earlier by a full second. Rebirth is different. I only watched the first few minutes, but it is much faster than the version I remember on the Manga DVD (doesn't that DVD just take the first 15 minutes of Air and slap it on the end?).

shinhito
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby shinhito » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:26 pm

View Original Postcyharding wrote:Can you give some examples from other anime? I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, it's just that 90% of anime collection is DVD, so there's nothing for me to compare it to.

I know this isn't a current example really, but look at the Renewal DVDs of Evangelion. The Renewal DVDs were the basis for ADV's "Platinum" release (and subsequent re-boxings of that set) and Platinum included about a 1/3rd of the special features the Renewal set had.

But lets pick something more current. The Cowboy Bebop Blu-rays by Funimation were a terrible corner cutting release as opposed to the glorious Japanese release.

This is the Funimation release.
This is the Japanese release.

There are many other examples out there but when it comes to licensing Anime in the west it's just a simple fact that not as much care is taken when compared to the Japanese releases.

I am guessing this is because in the west things are primarily shifting to a streaming based model and physical releases is a dwindling market sadly. :um:
He then played every song from 1993. The crowd applauded as he curtsied bashfully.
Your eyelashes tickled my neck, with every nervous blink. And it was perfect, until the telephone started ringing

M2Dane
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby M2Dane » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:35 pm

View Original Postsquall.leonhart wrote:The Archive box does have the TV cut of Death & Rebirth in it. One of the reasons I bought it. It is also interesting to see the old TV masters. I want to stick these in and watch them on a shitty tube TV just for the retro aspect.

Death(True) (so far) is not quite different from Death(True^2). Audio takes are done at different times. Some come earlier by a full second. Rebirth is different. I only watched the first few minutes, but it is much faster than the version I remember on the Manga DVD (doesn't that DVD just take the first 15 minutes of Air and slap it on the end?).

Yeah I knew rebirth was probably different. For a while when I finally had bought the manga release of death and rebirth I was surprised because it didn't match what I had remembered. I watched this series when I was in like 7th grade or so on really crappy fansub versions that I later spent forever trying to find those versions again because the rebirth I remember seeing was way different from the one I watched years later.

Damn it, the more I talk about this the more I suspect that tomorrow I will be placing yet another order to amazon Japan. My completion itch needs scratching. Much like owning the original cuts of star wars, I like to see where it came from as well.

squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:45 pm

View Original PostM2Dane wrote:Damn it, the more I talk about this the more I suspect that tomorrow I will be placing yet another order to amazon Japan. My completion itch needs scratching. Much like owning the original cuts of star wars, I like to see where it came from as well.

I'd be careful though. Since these are Japanese DVDs, they have the R2 region lock on them. You'll need to make sure you have a R2 player or decryption software. Blu-ray Discs share the same region coding as North America. You don't need any special player or software to play those.

M2Dane
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby M2Dane » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:51 pm

View Original Postsquall.leonhart wrote:I'd be careful though. Since these are Japanese DVDs, they have the R2 region lock on them. You'll need to make sure you have a R2 player or decryption software. Blu-ray Discs share the same region coding as North America. You don't need any special player or software to play those.

Oh I know, I could get them through illegitimate means but these sets just look so pretty and I'll make my own back ups when it arrives. Also right now my computer is hooked up to my tv since I don't have space for my monitor proper at the moment.

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:19 am

View Original PostKRandMJ wrote:Uhhhh... What the difference between "Address Line 1 & 2"? -o-;

Address Line 1 is for your residence's physical address (e.g. "1 Main Street"). Do not put a PO Box there.

Address Line 2 is if you live in an apartment building or other multi-residence building. Were you to live in Apartment 37Q of 1 Main Street, you would put just "Apartment 37Q" in that line. If you live in a single-residence building (like a house) then leave it blank.

vito
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby vito » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:44 am

Archival looks eh...

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”