Bluray release (TV + original movies) - August 26th 2015

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:43 am

I just watched a video unboxing from a Japanese fan. The packaging is really underwhelming. The case holding the discs is a bunch of plastic "pages" like what they used for the later seasons of Alias on DVD. There's basically no artwork at all (on the packaging). They could have done a lot better, especially considering how the Japanese DVDs usually look beautiful in terms of packaging.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:47 am

Testing 1, 2, 3

http://i.imgur.com/xm82E4k.jpg
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:51 am

View Original Postath wrote:Anyway, the copy of KIBA-6 you suggested me has just arrived here! The disk case is pretty sweet, I must say. The disk itself works perfectly.

I've always been happy with my used purchases from 3rd-party Amazon Japan sellers so I'm glad it worked out for you as well. It's surprisingly simple and cost-effective compared to the alternatives!

Back on the topic though, I've got the entire set of the jewel-case DVDs (i.e. all 7 Volumes + Theatrical Edition) myself and they're pretty cool-looking when lined up on a shelf with their obi strips. While the video quality itself is garbage compared to the Renewal and Blu-ray sets, it's still the most convenient way to watch the original home video version of Evangelion (especially vs. 14x VHS or LDs).

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:52 am

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Testing 1, 2, 3

But that's more than double the resolution of the BD - why?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

FullMetalBiscuit
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FullMetalBiscuit » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:00 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:^ Heh! I'd forgotten this costs enough that it'll get noticed. Ah well.

Customs don't care about the price of things, I got a t-shirt from the States that was a small package and cost around £15; got a £20 customs charge. Also got around about a £15 customs charge on a mini revoltech figure of Gray Fox a while back. How they work these charges out is beyond me, seeing as a Perfect Grade Gundam kit I got a few years ago didn't even get a customs charge.
Last edited by FullMetalBiscuit on Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:01 am

It's a panning shot. tiling together individual frames. Still original BD resolution, you just see it all at the same time.

EDIT: Also Shinji is in the way in the normal frames http://i.imgur.com/rY8XUdr.jpg

Another test

http://i.imgur.com/NTHsOgr.jpg
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:05 am

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Testing 1, 2, 3

http://i.imgur.com/xm82E4k.jpg

That's a fairly decent stitch-job there on that Episode 1 scene! Edges are dodgy as hell, but the main focal points (Shinji's silhouette and the bakelite-entombed hand) are nicely presented.

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:I just watched a video unboxing from a Japanese fan. The packaging is really underwhelming. The case holding the discs is a bunch of plastic "pages" like what they used for the later seasons of Alias on DVD. There's basically no artwork at all (on the packaging). They could have done a lot better, especially considering how the Japanese DVDs usually look beautiful in terms of packaging.

What you would call underwhelming, I would call understated and elegant. Not to say that I'm right and you're wrong, as there's certainly room for disagreement when it comes to aesthetics and taste. As for the "digistack" disc holders, they're becoming more common lately. For example, all the foreign releases of Fox's "Star Wars Complete Saga" Blu-ray box set used them.

In my opinion it's still better packaging than the [s]three[/s] four previous Evangelion box sets that Gainax / King Records put out:

- 2000/1 "Second Impact Box": Merely 3x slipboxes holding the then-standard CD-sized jewel-cases, albeit with different cover art for each case. Far too pedestrian.
    - 2003 "Renewal": While visually striking, the outer red acrylic "monolith" was too fragile and mechanically complex. Also, the dual-decker disc holder thingy was unwieldy.
    - '07 Edition (budget re-release of Renewal) Got red stains everywhere due to cheap materials. The thinpaks weren't that great, either.
    - NTV Box. While it had a nice slipbox (and three color-coded sub-boxes inside it) to hold the individual cases, the cases it held were literally identical to the Renewal singles sold at retail.[/b]
Last edited by svenge on Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:11 am

Yeah, I think the cases are actually quite striking. And I'm not worried about artwork and such given the massive book that comes with the BD set.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:12 am

View Original PostFullMetalBiscuit wrote:Customs don't care about the price of things, I got a t-shirt from the States that was a small package and cost around £15; got a £20 customs charge.

Officially they don't collect VAT for items under £15 (including postage). Loosely, the breakpoint can be a bit higher. There's no customs duty (as opposed to excise duty on alcohol, for instance) under £135. Some couriers have high service charges for collecting the tax, which is probably nearly the whole amount in your example there.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby ath » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:32 am

View Original Postsvenge wrote:I've always been happy with my used purchases from 3rd-party Amazon Japan sellers so I'm glad it worked out for you as well. It's surprisingly simple and cost-effective compared to the alternatives!

Yeah. I didn't know that Amazon Japan had a fully-functional English registration and ordering process. Also, DHL shipped lightning fast, beating their own estimates.

View Original Postsvenge wrote:While the video quality itself is garbage compared to the Renewal and Blu-ray sets, it's still the most convenient way to watch the original home video version of Evangelion (especially vs. 14x VHS or LDs).

...and, apparently, the only release to include those 21'-24' cuts that have been removed or reworked in later editions (Reiquarium images in 23', "Sex" flashback cards in 22', etc).

For those who complained about the BD menus looking too plain, here's the original DVD edition in all its 1997 glory:
SPOILER: Show

distopia
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby distopia » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:00 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:It's been made clear that (following common Japanese practice) the BDs are not region coded. However, the DVDs are.

So Eva BDs are region free?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:03 pm

It's said so clearly on the product description from the start, and repeated here a number of times.

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:14 pm

View Original Postath wrote:...and, apparently, the only release to include those 21'-24' cuts that have been removed or reworked in later editions (Reiquarium images in 23', "Sex" flashback cards in 22', etc).

Actually, the US "Director's Cut" DVDs from 2004 used the same cuts from the Japanese pre-Renewal 21'-24' release. Of course, I'm not sure how many bought those DVDs at the time because ADV started putting out the Platinum DVDs (which like the Renewal version lacks the Reiquarium) around 6 months later!

As I recall, ADV (who owned the English-language rights to US/CAN, UK, and AUS at the time) didn't release the "Director's Cut" DVDs outside of North America either, so they're probably not at all well-known overseas. Of course by the time that ADV could've got those DVDs produced for PAL markets the Platinum discs would already be out in the US, thus UK/AUS customers would have logically held out for Platinum to come out over there instead.

Of course, this can all be traced back to ADV being impatient during early/mid 1998 when they were initially selling the series on VHS and not wanting to wait for the 21'-24' versions to be finished by Gainax to begin with. Instead, they decided to just slap the broadcast masters of 21-24 on tape, albeit with the English-text replacements (used every time that the original Japanese telops took the entire screen) that the VHS version was infamous for. And since the original DVDs from ADV in 2000-2001 were based off of the masters they used for the VHS release, that means that those early DVDs were affected in the same way.
Last edited by svenge on Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

distopia
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby distopia » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:18 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:It's said so clearly on the product description from the start, and repeated here a number of times.

As Latins used to say, "Repetita iuvant". Thank you very much ;)

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:28 pm

The box looks kinda plain yeah but there is a lot of work that went into the actual product which I think is more important than some shiny artwork. This looks better than I could have imagined. It actually going to make me rewatch the series again.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:33 pm

[url]https://instagram.com/p/65ar_hIXFi/[/url]
Also known as Cowboy Dev.

v3g4n
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby v3g4n » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:03 pm

I thought I'd share my side by side comparison of the DVD box from 2003 and the Blu Ray Box.
Enjoy?

[/spoiler]
進む

KRandMJ
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby KRandMJ » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:20 pm

Will they make a Blu-Ray set with English subtitles? :huh:
I'm on the fringe with the Japanese Blu-Ray (To Buy or :bigeyes: not To Buy)
EvaGeeks is a nightmare to navigate, still good tho.

squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:26 pm

View Original PostKRandMJ wrote:Will they make a Blu-Ray set with English subtitles? :huh:
I'm on the fringe with the Japanese Blu-Ray (To Buy or :bigeyes: not To Buy)

You'll have to wait until someone (Funimation or Sentai) renews the licenses.

KRandMJ
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby KRandMJ » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:03 pm

View Original Postsquall.leonhart wrote:You'll have to wait until someone (Funimation or Sentai) renews the licenses.

What are the chances of that happening?
(To Buy or :bigeyes: not To Buy)
EvaGeeks is a nightmare to navigate, still good tho.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”