Has anybody played the video games or Super Robot Wars?

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Rei_Rocks
Embryo

Has anybody played the video games or Super Robot Wars?

•      
  •      

Postby Rei_Rocks » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:45 pm

If so how good are they? For those that don't know Super Robot Wars has the Evangelion characters.
Rei Ayanami is the greatest anime heroin!!!

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:48 pm

Reichu has already suffered for our sins, and said "Suffering through GOS should be considered a rite of passage for NGE geeks"
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:58 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:Reichu has already suffered for our sins, and said "Suffering through GOS should be considered a rite of passage for NGE geeks"

Then I am not going to be an NGE geek.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Alfonso
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Alfonso » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:28 pm

*has taken the rite of passage*

*actually enjoyed it, especially the Mana ending* :< Just cause she was hot and half naked and all. D:
[insert generic 'Asuka is hot' signature here]

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:55 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:Reichu has already suffered for our sins, and said "Suffering through GOS should be considered a rite of passage for NGE geeks"

Having recently done just that, I cannot disagree with Reichu's statement.

That said, GoS did have some nice artwork. What it lacked was animation.

And interactivity.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:36 pm

I finished this rite of passage recently, as well. Should I be embarrassed to say that I actually enjoyed this game? I personally enjoyed the Asuka ending, but I've always been a Shinji/Asuka shipper.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

System Shocker
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby System Shocker » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:43 pm

GOS 2 lacked fandub :(

Rei_Rocks
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Rei_Rocks » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:44 pm

I still wish it came ourt over here. Even though I doesn;'t sound like a good game by what I'm raeding.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:40 am

Hunter21 wrote:Then I am not going to be an NGE geek.

You and me both :lol:
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:02 am

It's not that bad! Really!

All you need is some patience and a couple hours' worth of free time.

Legend of the Past
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Legend of the Past » Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:09 am

Actually it's not very horrible. It's not so much as a game as it is a special episode. It's a nice way to burn two hours, and while I can't quite see how is that essential for NGE geeks. It didn't really mutilate the plot like it could, but the story it tells is so sweet at times you get a toothache.

I personally got the Asuka ending, which was very cute. In the end, Asuka and Shinji grow closer. They even hug, albeit Asuka not acting like she cares. Her eyes tells the viewer she does, though.

I grew to dislike Mana a bit. It was hard to define her character-sometimes she's shy, and other times she's outright straightforward.

I was also shocked to see Shinji and Mana in an Onsen without a male-female division. That must blow.
New Signature Policy

It all returns to nothing...

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:33 am

Legend of the Past wrote:I was also shocked to see Shinji and Mana in an Onsen without a male-female division.

That was a little weird, come to think of it.

I'll bet the original box says "More service!" somewhere in ultra-fine print...

Ryousanki King
Adam

Re: Has anybody played the video games or Super Robot Wars?

•      
  •      

Postby Ryousanki King » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:03 am

Rei_Rocks wrote:If so how good are they? For those that don't know Super Robot Wars has the Evangelion characters.

To answer the original question, SRW games are masterpieces. They take plot elements from each series they represent, intertwine them with original storylines, and then run rampant with mecha-on-mecha combat and a vaguely tactical RPG type gameplay. The EVAs+their characters usually have a plotline involving the overall baddies of the storyline trying to cause Third Impact in an effort to help out their other evil plots. In SRW Alpha 3 for PS2, they enlisted the help of my harpies, too. :D
Currently: Working on some comics + Photoshopping some new avatars

Rei_Rocks
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Rei_Rocks » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:01 am

Wow, I heard people talk about SRW but know one that actually played them. Were do you get them? ebay or something?

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:06 pm

It occurs to me that, seeing as the Evas are not robots, the correct title of the game should be something like Super Mecha Wars.

But I digress. As for where one find these things, I suspect eBay has something to do with it.

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:29 pm

I've played Super Robot Wars Alpha 3 on the PS2 but the fact that its in Japanese is a bit of a problem for me. I've also played the first GOF game and I got the Asuka ending, it wasnt too bad more of an interactive episode though, there wasnt really much to do in it.

Six Winged Angel
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Six Winged Angel » Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:48 pm

I got the Asuka ending too, it was good.

overall as a game it wasn't really good, but I really liked the camp scene near the end, it seemed much....evangelion :P
~But someday you will come to understand that on your back, there are wings with which you can fly on the distant future.

Shadow Blaziken
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Shadow Blaziken » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:10 pm

SRW, from what I've seen of it, and what people have told me, is badass.

We actually could've gotten the series in America. Banpresto (the developers of SRW) asked ADV (since they had the rights to many anime featured in it, like Eva) if they'd license it over here (at the time, the first one would be released for the Dreamcast). Unfortunately, ADV asked for a shitload of money, and they just said "screw it."

Fortunately, we're getting the SRW Original Generation GBA games here. The thing is, the mechas featured are Banpresto's own creations. Some of their designs are influenced by mechas like Gundams and even Evas.

Rei_Rocks
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Rei_Rocks » Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:10 am

WE"RE GETTING THEM!?!? SWEET!!!

Plus I think the best name would be Mech Wars. Super seems silly to put there.

Ryousanki King
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ryousanki King » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:15 am

I tend to get mine at import shops, but I lost my old copy of @3. That was really the only one I'd imported, I played decently accurate emulations of J and a couple others.

@Shadow Blaziken: Yes, SRW is the epitome of badass. However, you're getting one thing slightly incorrect - ADV asked for a shitload of money not because they were greedy, but because they would need it in order to license and domesticate most of the stuff. For example, Mazinger, Getter Robo, Turn-A Gundam, etc are all in it, with about twenty others (in @3 that is) that are unlicensed. ADV would have to license them from the Japanese owners, then find a dub crew and dub the voices. It's a lot harder than it seems and is, in a nutshell, licensing hell, which is why none have ever been released before.

However, Atlus is indeed releasing the two OG games under the original title: Super Robot Taisen: Original Generation. The designs are indeed all original, but mainly they take inspiration from Gundam and from various super robot shows (it's fairly easy to see in mecha like the Alt-Eisen).

@Rei_Rocks: Lol. Mech Wars sounds kinda flat and American. Remember, this isn't just two or three games, this is more than (literally) one dozen games, starting with SNES (or was it NES?) and the original Game Boy and moving their way up to DS, PSP, and PS2, respectively. :D
Currently: Working on some comics + Photoshopping some new avatars

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”