evangelion chronicles- "kinda" reviewed

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
ZeroFive1
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ZeroFive1 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:45 pm

Wow. I MUST GET THIS EVEN THOUGH IT HAS ALMOST NOTHING NEW. That artwork looks extra spiffy, though.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:43 pm

defiate wrote:yeah I found some stuff I find interesting, such as the themes (justice, people, etc.) but really it is nothing new- just a summary in volume 1 and a few production keywords in volume 2. If you want I could translate that after this weekend.

Soy-ten-ly. We can always use more of that shee-yat.

BTW, are you planning to put these translations anywhere for the masses, aside from a forum thread? I need to make a supplemental page on my own neglected site sometime for "random translations" -- maybe they could live there?

What is this "Proposal"? ohhh wait i get it now- the planning proposal for the anime.

Yes. "Proposal" (企画書) is what it's actually called; I got sick of having no name for it, so I decided to finally look the kanji up.

When I get back to Hong Kong in August I need to dig in my room to find that 7 year old "Evangelion Newtype Collection" book so I could get all of those juicy details.

It's definitely something that needs to be translated in full. Episode synopses have been done, but the translations kind of blow.

it sounded kinda off to me too when i double checked it so i'll stick with "her". *edits translation again

What's your own reason? ;)

But just a grammar point: "Its" is the possessive form of "it" ("its hard surface"), while "it's" is a contraction for "it is", "it has", etc. ("it's begun").

got it. been having trouble with that lately (strange things happen to you when you try and juggle 5 languages)

Image 5 languages?!? Wowza. I can't even work my way up to two. Out of curiosity, what are they (besides the obvious)?

And what's more confusing is that the picture with the arms is in the same article.

The thing Fuyutsuki sees in #21?

The original graveyard being the chalked out "murder scene" style outline of the body?

That's the one. (See here.)

I've seen that somewhere but I don't recall where.... I'm guessing the Sadamoto manga.

Negative. The manga uses the NPC version of the graveyard.

Do we get a photo, BTW?

sadly, my xanga accounts have reached their monthly upload limit since the last pics were posted, which is why I was hoping reagen would help me out here. This thread is getting a little bland with the lack of pics around :(

My server is a bottomless pit at the moment. I can host the wares; PM me or something.

This thread is slowly turning into a feedback session for amateur translators (i.e. ME) but seriously, thank you!

No prob. I'm willing to bet my econteshuu that your Japanese in general is way better than mine, so don't get any wrong ideas. ;) Keep at it -- you're a blessing.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Rawinder
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Rawinder » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Reichu wrote:
defiate wrote:And what's more confusing is that the picture with the arms is in the same article.

The thing Fuyutsuki sees in #21?

It might be a reference to the various Unit-00 heads and spines that Misato drives by in EoE.

defiate
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby defiate » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:03 pm

Rawinder wrote:It might be a reference to the various Unit-00 heads and spines that Misato drives by in EoE.

No, the article was talking about what Fuyutsuki saw when Gendo took him down to the then Gehirun headquarters in 2003. (ep 21)

Reichu wrote:
defiate wrote:yeah I found some stuff I find interesting, such as the themes (justice, people, etc.) but really it is nothing new- just a summary in volume 1 and a few production keywords in volume 2. If you want I could translate that after this weekend.

Soy-ten-ly. We can always use more of that shee-yat.

I just PMed you what I've done so far on that article- started the job 3 hours ago and I'm having major difficulties. I think this one's out of my league.

BTW, are you planning to put these translations anywhere for the masses, aside from a forum thread? I need to make a supplemental page on my own neglected site sometime for "random translations" -- maybe they could live there?

Yeah sure! I'd love to see my efforts posted somewhere more visible. I've actually been thinking about asking EvaMonkey if he would like an exclusive on this site for translations from Evangelion Chronicle's glossary pages (since translating the whole magazine will cost me my social life), but I haven't asked him yet, so maybe you could get all the translated articles except for the glossary for the time being.

The plan I have for this translation project is that from now on I'll do only 2-3 article translations per week (excluding glossary) and they're all on-demand translations, so if I get a translation request for "Red Earth Purification Ceremony" and there happens to be an article on it, I'd be more than happy to do it.

defiate wrote:When I get back to Hong Kong in August I need to dig in my room to find that 7 year old "Evangelion Newtype Collection" book so I could get all of those juicy details.

It's definitely something that needs to be translated in full. Episode synopses have been done, but the translations kind of blow.

Egh... I've never seen the purpose in translating the episode synopsis since there's plenty of them on the web already, but I guess somebody needs to check over the grammar and accuracy of the translated ones with a fine comb.

What's your own reason?[for sticking with "her"]

Since Evangelions have souls I guess it's more appropriate to refer to them like humans. I used "it" before because in the original text there is no use of the word "her".

5 languages?!? Wowza. I can't even work my way up to two. Out of curiosity, what are they (besides the obvious)?

I'm a native speaker of English and Cantonese (Hong Kong's native dialect), I speak fluent Mandarin and I've learnt 5 years of French and 3 years of Japanese.

Despite the fact that I've learnt French longer than Japanese, I totally suck at it and hate it because most nouns are either female or male, which drives me apeshit nuts. (e.g. a lamp is feminine, a book is masculine. Where am I supposed to check to find out!?)

Note: Mandarin and Cantonese are the same in structure, but the pronounciation and vocabulary are different enough to say they're different languages.. much like standard Japanese vs. its Okinawan counterpart or English vs. Welsh. Or Queen Elizabeth's English vs. 50 Cent's.

My server is a bottomless pit at the moment. I can host the wares; PM me or something.

Roger and out.

badc0de
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby badc0de » Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:30 am

defiate wrote:I'm a native speaker of English and Cantonese (Hong Kong's native dialect), I speak fluent Mandarin and I've learnt 5 years of French and 3 years of Japanese.

Respect :)
4 languages here, theoretically :?
German (native language), English (you see yourself how good or bad it is... if I speak it, it's even worst), French (1 year required subject in school... I was quite good in reading/writing/hearing it, but could speak it only badly. After my brain did some "garbage collection", I've almost forget everything about it) and "Japanese" (1 year of autodidactic learning... but I didn't really advanced :x But I'm trying to make some progress this semester break.)

defiate wrote:Despite the fact that I've learnt French longer than Japanese, I totally suck at it and hate it because most nouns are either female or male, which drives me apeshit nuts. (e.g. a lamp is feminine, a book is masculine. Where am I supposed to check to find out!?)

Learn German! Our nouns have three genders (female, male and neuter) and these aren't even the same as the french nouns-genders, not to mention the fact that it isn't even always possible to determine the gender of a noun. Our grammar with it's large bunch of rules and the many exceptions of these rules and the few exceptions of these exceptions makes it one of the worst in the world. If you change one word in a sentence, it's most likely that you have to change half of the words in this sentence, inserting new, discarding others, exchange parts of the sentence, splitting words placing one half at the beginning of the sentence and the other at the end regardless if there's a multiple nested subordinate clause in the middle, ... Only to end up with some mumbo-jumbo that nobody understands anymore, making it easier to simple write that sentence completely from scratch. :x
All in all it was the worst language I've learned, even it's my native language :shock:

SEELE 08
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE 08 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:02 am

Learn German! Our nouns have three genders (female, male and neuter) and these aren't even the same as the french nouns-genders, not to mention the fact that it isn't even always possible to determine the gender of a noun. Our grammar with it's large bunch of rules and the many exceptions of these rules and the few exceptions of these exceptions makes it one of the worst in the world. If you change one word in a sentence, it's most likely that you have to change half of the words in this sentence, inserting new, discarding others, exchange parts of the sentence, splitting words placing one half at the beginning of the sentence and the other at the end regardless if there's a multiple nested subordinate clause in the middle, ... Only to end up with some mumbo-jumbo that nobody understands anymore, making it easier to simple write that sentence completely from scratch. Mad
All in all it was the worst language I've learned, even it's my native language Shocked

You think that's bad try Latin. It's a mess. Female, Male, and Neuter genders and seven classes of nouns on top of that, over forty verb tenses and NO PUNCTUATION. All sentences and phrases run into eachother, and sentence structure is an suggestion not a rule. Also my cousin who is fluent in German said it wasn't terribly hard to learn
I heart Encyclopedia Dramatica!
THAT WIKI/Aspergers

defiate
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby defiate » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:50 am

cody wrote:Learn German! Our nouns have three genders (female, male and neuter) and these aren't even the same as the french nouns-genders, not to mention the fact that it isn't even always possible to determine the gender of a noun.

ugh sounds like hell to me already... on top of that i would never be able to pronounce anything in German without sounding like I'm about to spit.
But just a quick question- when you say gender don't you mean female male and neutral instead of neuter? isn't "neuter" the verb used when you take your pet to the vet to castrate it

Our grammar with it's large bunch of rules and the many exceptions of these rules and the few exceptions of these exceptions makes it one of the worst in the world. If you change one word in a sentence, it's most likely that you have to change half of the words in this sentence, inserting new, discarding others, exchange parts of the sentence, splitting words placing one half at the beginning of the sentence and the other at the end regardless if there's a multiple nested subordinate clause in the middle, ... Only to end up with some mumbo-jumbo that nobody understands anymore, making it easier to simple write that sentence completely from scratch.
All in all it was the worst language I've learned, even it's my native language

and I though English was a tough and mostly illogical language for foreigners. I shall be forever discouraged from taking German :(

SEELE wrote:You think that's bad try Latin. It's a mess. Female, Male, and Neuter genders and seven classes of nouns on top of that, over forty verb tenses and NO PUNCTUATION. All sentences and phrases run into eachother, and sentence structure is an suggestion not a rule.

yeah I also heard there's 42 ways (yes, FORTY-TWO) of saying "good" based on the context... thank god I didn't take Latin in high school- I never cared much about the SATs or sounding blue-blooded.

badc0de
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby badc0de » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:43 am

defiate wrote:ugh sounds like hell to me already... on top of that i would never be able to pronounce anything in German without sounding like I'm about to spit.
Nice description XD
defiate wrote:But just a quick question- when you say gender don't you mean female male and neutral instead of neuter? isn't "neuter" the verb used when you take your pet to the vet to castrate it

Neuter used as adjective is correct. Neutral is also not really wrong.
*google* http://german.about.com/library/weekly/aa042098.htm <-- Here was also the word neuter used.
defiate wrote:and I though English was a tough and mostly illogical language for foreigners. I shall be forever discouraged from taking German :(

See it as a challenge XD
Japanese is also a challenge for me. Actually I try to memorize the radicals... as a beginning of learning the kanjis. Oo
Well, and I shouldn't forget to learn the Japanese language. XD

SEELE wrote:You think that's bad try Latin. It's a mess. Female, Male, and Neuter genders and seven classes of nouns on top of that, over forty verb tenses and NO PUNCTUATION. All sentences and phrases run into eachother, and sentence structure is an suggestion not a rule.

Well, I've never said that German is the worst language. And I think I'm Latin affected enough already... my brother just couldn't shut his mouth while he learned it. :x

Rawinder
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Rawinder » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:22 pm

Request: Could you translate the Eva-00 and NERV sections?

Also, what exactly is the glossary? Is it like the Red Cross book?

defiate
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby defiate » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:09 am

Sorry Rawinder that's gona have to wait a bit- I'm in the process of packing my oversized suitcases, cleaning my room for the next tenant, mailing packages (or parcels, as Brits would say... I flunked my first English test in the US cause I used "parcel", "toilet" and best of all... "colour"), etc.
Anyways it's really a busy time for me and everything so I hope you understand. I'll be active on the board as soon as I get settled in New York (early September). Doesn't mean I won't post your translations before then though. :wink:

Apologies.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:18 pm

defiate wrote:mailing packages (or parcels, as Brits would say...

Incidentally, I use "parcel" from time to time. The term is even used at US post offices. (Parcel Post is a shipment option, I think.)

I flunked my first English test in the US cause I used "parcel", "toilet" and best of all... "colour"), etc.

"Colour." lol silly brits

Sorry I didn't reply to your PM, defiate. Things were batshit crazy over here while I was scrambling to sorta prepare for the Eva panel at Otakon. (Gawd, how nerve-racking that was...) I don't think I'm of sufficient brain power to look at it right now, either, but have you tried the poor fellows at www.animelyrics.com's Japanese forum? They've helped me a lot on my n00bscapades; a few pointed questions about the trouble spots just might fish you out.

BTW, I managed to find a copy of Chronicle #1 at the Kinokuniya bookstore's booth (in Otakon's Dealer's Room). So, apparently, there are ways of getting this thing in the US after all. Kinokuniya can probably special-order it, if they don't have it at their US outlets already. I might try e-mailing them about it, even though I think I'm probably not going to bother collecting them as they come up, and just get a full set off Yahoo! Auctions later (since I'll inevitably still be an Eva geek then).
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

reagen
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby reagen » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:14 pm

Ah. Finally I can get back here!! What up, guys!!

That would be awesome Reagen! Especially since I'm running out of space on free webhosting sites. Also since I'm outta here in August are you staying till next year? If so you could scan and post then I'll translate as much as I could (like 1-2 articles per day to keep my Japanese fresh). PM me or something and we'll work something out. (Just out of curiousity you studying the Kansai dialect over in Kyoto or just standard Japanese? Cause I'm dying to learn some of that)

I'm learning standard Japanese, but doing a little Kansai and Kyoto dialect. Anyway, here's a cover of Number 3. Just out like a week ago...

How's it, guys? This is what I get from my Nikon D50. If it's good enough, I'll start taking the mag's shot with this. Because I don't think I'll get a scanner anytime soon (I really want one, though....)
She Smell Like Angels Ought To Smell
The Perfect Woman, The Goddess...
Worth Killing For, Worth Dying For, Worth Going To Hell For....
------------------------------------------------------
I Can Only Love One Woman,
No Matter The Day, No Matter The Era
That Will Not Change...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:35 pm

HAY GUYS WATS UP. I HEARD THAT THEIR WAS THIS MAGAZINE CALLED CHRONCILES SO I BOUT SUM ISSUES LOL. IVE GOT ATE HOW MANY DO U HAVE?

Um... er... sorry.

I've got issues 01 through 08 so far. I haven't seen anything eye-poppingly ZAWESOME yet -- most if it seems to be really basic and/or obvious stuff.* There's so much here, though, that it's hard for me to say. I'll keep my eyes open.

I'm scanning pages here and there -- and these magazines are quickly showing how durable they are not -- principally for my own purposes, but I figured you guys would enjoy them. The scans are half-size (i.e., pretty big) to encourage translation, and the picture quality is kinda shitty (at least, me and my dusty, moire-challenged scanner did our darnedest) to encourage you to give Gainax more of your munnies.

Here are some for starters...

Chronicle 01
01, 02 ... 03, 04 ... 05 ... 06 ... 07 ... 08 ... 13, 14 ... 15, 16 ... 23 ... 24 ... 25 ... 26 ... 27 ... 28

* But the fact that they're slowly publishing the Proposal in large format is pretty sexy.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:58 pm

Complete scans would be oh so lovely to have!
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:59 pm

I wonder, is that square pattern on that first image near the bottom the supposed new NERV logo?
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:02 pm

AchtungAffen wrote:Complete scans would be oh so lovely to have!

So would translations, eh?

Trigger's Elysium wrote:I wonder, is that square pattern on that first image near the bottom the supposed new NERV logo?

I've never seen a bitten apple do that.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:05 pm

The new logo is supposed to be a bitten apple, then? Be there pics of said bitten apple?
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:06 pm

Reichu wrote:
AchtungAffen wrote:Complete scans would be oh so lovely to have!

So would translations, eh?

Sure, but letting the whole of this roam the internets gives more chance that someone will pick it up and translate it. I wonder if the guys from Tokyo3CN already started getting this thing ready for the internets.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:17 pm

Trigger's Elysium wrote:The new logo is supposed to be a bitten apple, then? Be there pics of said bitten apple?

There is nary a whisper of Rebuild in the issues I have.

AchtungAffen wrote:I wonder if the guys from Tokyo3CN already started getting this thing ready for the internets.

Eh?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:25 pm

Tokyo3CN is a chinese Eva site where a lot of juicy things get released. For example, the video of Miyamura Yuuko explaining the last line of EoE, the video of Anno playing Eva2 and some of the Eva OSTs in lossless format. If I could read chinese that site would make my day. Although it's been a while since I last visited it, might be down now.
My List @ AniDB

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”