1996 Anno interview

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

1996 Anno interview

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:35 pm

I know gwern's been working on this interview, but I was bored and thought I'd give it a shot. Here's the first two pages of the interview; more will hopefully follow. I'm several light-years away from native level, so caveat lector. The original source is here: http://www.evalegend.com/interview_anno96.php

SPOILER: Show
More than a child, not yet an adult….”Fourteen years old” symbolizes problems of the heart.

Neon Genesis Evangelion is a great wave which was born, around ten years ago, in the sea of anime. Already 17 years since the birth of the first series of Kidô Senshi Gundam. An epoch when adolescents filled the movie theaters to see Uchû Senkan Yamato or Ginga Tetsudô 999. That is to say: The years which formed the anime boom of 1980. For the most part, our current readers weren’t born or were still infants, and in that time, all young people accepted anime without reticence. A little while later, among young people, watching an anime became something “special.” In the middle of the 80s, with the appearance of the OVA, Japonese animation began to adapt itself to the needs of the fans and, insidiously, become a medium that the general public couldn’t partake in. To be sure, Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball are popular. But they are works that one considers “strictly for children." To be sure, the films of Hayao Miyazaki (and of studio Ghibli) draw viewers to the theaters each summer. But they are always films that one goes to see with complete confidence, like “a lover.” That is to say, the general public, like all anime fans, considers them first-rate. And each release of these films is awaited with impatience. Not only anime fans, but also “normal” children, sensible adults, and the fans from ten years ago who have returned to animation, all have supported Eva with enthusiasm. And still, when the airing of the TV series has finished, the movement continues to spread. It has been a month since the end of the series was aired, since the very controversial final episode, without the mysteries being clarified. Having passed the time dedicated to a certain routine, we have been able to interview the director, Hideaki Anno.

“My mood at the moment?...I am very tired. (laughs)”

Having told us this, Anno began to speak to us, choosing his words with prudence.

"The creation of Evangelion gives me the sense of a “live” concert. Whether the story or the creation of the characters, I did it all without a theory. During the direction of the series, all the while hearing different opinions, all the while analyzing my state of mind, I questioned myself. I went in search of concepts in this inventory to start out from. In the beginning, I thought I would produce a simple work about robots. But when the principal setting became a high school, this didn’t change anything in relation to other productions of the same style. In that moment, I thought I would really create a protagonist possessing two faces, two identities: at school and in the organization. The impression of a live concert, that the birth of Eva gives me, it allows me to catch up as I go along, like an improvisation: someone plays the guitar and, in the refrain, adds percussion and bass. The concert finished with the end of the airing of the TV show. We would not enter into the next script until the previous one had been finished. This took more time than a normal work. When we would finish a script, we would check it for continuity with the previous ones. When someone said “I don’t know about that there…” we would rectify it on the story-board. In fact, when the last episode approached, we did not even finish on time."

In conclusion, Evangelion has two sides: a narrative side, and one which would be like a documentary on the mind of Hideaki Anno himself. This refusal to lie to himself about the things which he wants to accomplish arose from his iron will.

The director Anno influenced Eva by bringing to light his “problems of the heart…”

"The reason that the main character is fourteen years old is that he is no longer a child but not yet an adult. He lives alone, but attached to others. Several centuries in the past, he would soon have had his majority. In that time, the life expectancy being fifty years, one had to become independent around fourteen years. Today, people live more than seventy years, and although the age of adulthood is twenty years, most people still depend on their parents at that age. One may wonder if it is not the parents who make them dependent, or for the parents, when they ought to fix the age of adulthood. Since I consider fourteen years to be the age when an independence of spirit arises, I found an opportunity to include that in my work."

The “Human Instrumentality Project is an allegory for the world of animation.

"Speaking of improvisation, when I came up with the “Human Instrumentality Project” which appeared in the second episode, and which would become the center of the story, I did not have any idea what would be "complemented.” (Note: the Japanese term is “Hokan,” which literally means “fill a void.”)

It was just a verbal bluff (laughs). In the Eva universe, the human population was cut in half, but by way of aphorism, one can say that worlds where the population has been diminished by half are typical of anime. I think that worlds isolated and cut into pieces or where, because of a catastrophe in the past, humanity has been decimated, are characteristic of Japanese animation."

On that subject, Mr. Anno already made an analogous comparison two or three years ago.In the world of “Gundam,” imagined by the director Yoshiyuki Tomino, Charles, who, like Don Quixote, struggles to free the people enclosed in the universe of the Space Colony (the animation companies), is the avatar of the director. In Eva the generals of the regular army are not able to destroy an approaching life form, and appeal to Nerv, a group of amateurs (the director Anno at the center of Gainax)

"Really?...well, whatever the point of view, Nerv is a group of amateurs. It resembles an army, but it isn’t one. I did not wish to create a military troupe. I found it strange that the anime magazines readjusted the image of Misato by writing that she is a “skilled soldier.” I think that she is more suited for other things…if she is competent, it is not as a soldier! However you look at it, her strategies are haphazard strokes of chance. It is nothing but a gamble. Really, the only person who plans their strategies at all is Ritsuko." Concerning Misato, she is a being combining the object and the subject, and in arranging things, she resembles me in certain points…despite what Masami Yuki, citing episode 7, wrote in your February issue, she is not so uncompromising, just like Nerv.
Last edited by Lucretius on Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:02 pm

Welcome back, Luc :)

Thanks for your work in translating this! Does it come as a surprise to anyone that the Human Instrumentality Project's meaning was made up on the spot?

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:20 pm

Part two:

SPOILER: Show
Now we synchronize ourselves with the world imagined by Anno, in Tokyo-3 in 2015. The town without a shadow of life (the world of animation) has become a little bit more bright thanks to the arrival of immigrants having seen Eva. But on the other hand, it is a fact that the anime fan within Hideaki Anno feels his frustration mounting…the problem of the “heart” was born with the society of comfort. The Human Instrumentality Project is a term that has a very “SF” allure. In fact, its true function was “complementation of the gaps in the heart” of the people of our epoch. We have not been able to hide our frank surprise before such a concept. At the beginning of the series, no one thought to imagine “the thing which people lack.” What inner pains must the director have had before pointing out this thing as being “the heart?”

“With respect to the problems of the heart, I didn’t realize it immediately, but a part of Japan and America is able to satisfy most of their desires, right? I think that it is a problem that has appeared after having found a certain serenity. For example, certain people of an exreme materialism do not reflect at all about whether or not they make other people hate them. I think that one ought to live more fundamentally. In our current material security, the problem of the heart thus becomes a topical issue. In making Eva, I arrived there for numerous reasons which I can’t detail. But concerning the original stories of episode 25 and 26 (the last), I was able to finish episode 25 as far as the script goes. Unfortunately, I had to abandon episode 26, which was still at the planning stages. I am reworking episodes 25 and 26, which will be on sale on LD and video next year, but concerning episode 26, it will be a complete revision, in order to make it more “visual.” I will redo it by destroying the original plan.”

“The episodes 25 and 26 aired on TV reflect perfectly my state of mind at the time. I am therefore very satisfied. I regret nothing.”

The message contained in the controversial final episodes of Eva.
On March 4, after the end of the post-dubbing of episode 25. On the initiative of the dubbers, the technical team, which was assembling the rest of episode 26, was invited to a “farewell party” near the Tavac recording studio in Okubo, Tokyo.

“At this moment, the script of the final episode was not yet finished. It would be the following week. Essentially, three days remained for planning. But in fact, I didn’t need to make drawings to represent my vision of things. The truth is, I would have been happy to express myself orally. I could have done it, but, fortunately, they refused. Without celluloid, we intentionally used the story-board drawings. It was not a question of having time or not. In any case, we succeeded in dispensing with celluloid animation. Celluloid is a symbolic argument. After having drawn Asuka with a pen, when Yuko Miyamura leant her her voice, she was Asuka more than ever. I came to hate myself when I lingered on the celluloid. But this didn’t mean not passing the drawing through the computer anymore. I wanted it to be known here and there that for animation, as much as any means of expression, line drawings can work. I wanted to say something to those happy imbeciles who say things like “since it’s not on celluloid, it’s unfinished” or “because it isn’t on celluloid, it was made quickly.” This freed me, destroying whatever the cost the type of received ideas that I myself possessed. With the prejudice according to which one can’t use anything but celluloid to represent people, one finally arrives at fetishism. The first time that we tried it, was through the “lines” in episode 16. An anime is composed of signs and thus, from the get-go, it is a false world, right? Nothing but an optical illusion. No one would imagine that it is a documentary. But to attempt to integrate on film a documentary aspect, it is my personal feeling of “live.” I think that the process of destroying these signs is rare in the anime which appear on TV. When we aired our line drawings, people regarded us as bunglers, when it was impossible to see that as bungled work. To not pay attention to the intent to make these line drawings a “representation,” that implies that there is not apparent any idea, any concept. In that case, the last episode would not emerge from the frame of a combination of aphorisms…I think that, looking at it methodically, there would have been perhaps something else…"

The 26th episode, which a portion of purist fans rejected…to be sure, it is true that fans resented them out of frustration for the absence of continuity with the original story. On the internet, and elsewhere, one can read numerous virulent critiques. But it is a fact: the spectators who saw the last episode (which had a record audience) exclaimed “Evangelion is really great!”

“Among the people who use the internet, there are many who have an obtuse mind. Because they are shut up in their room, they retain the sight which spreads across the entire world.”

Anime-fans must not be taken for idiots.

"But this does not pass the stage of simple “information.” Information without reflection, which makes one believe that one knows all. This complaisance is nothing but a trap. What is more, the sense of merit which conflicts with this information is found paralyzed. And from there one arrives at the demagogue. For example, someone cited my name, saying “Anno has died.” If that person were near me, perhaps I would hit him. On the internet, someone is always able to refute something, but all that remains on the level of bathroom graffiti. One doesn’t need to sign. It comes tranquilly direct to your home. It is the practice, that people without remorse use it without hesitation. Obviously, all the internet users are not like that. But since it is very difficult to find honest people, I am not sufficiently free to dedicate the time. I just want to say “return to reality and get to know the world.” For example, when we decided to to redo episodes 25 and 26, the news quickly spread from the Gainax server to the entire network. If we hadn’t announced it, completely hair-brained rumors would have arisen. But when we revealed the information, many incoherent claims like “they’re doing it for the money” landed in our faces. I realized my own hypocrisy when I convinced myself that, not knowing our financial state, this type of talk would only be just. Whatever one might say, I do not think that one can find any other negative points in Evangelion! (laughs) By not paying any attention to the puerile ideas that one subjects them to, one takes anime fans for fools. They do not go outside their universe. They think themselves secure. They have nothing solid on which to lean on. That is why I have attempted to come to the rescue of Japanese animation. I do not say, like Terayama, that I throw away my notebooks and leave town” but that I leave the town to meet people. What permits me to say that? I have noticed what is lacking in me, in my heart of hearts. For twenty-one years, I was an anime fan, and now, at age thirty-five, I notice with embarrassment: I am nothing but a fool (laughs)”

It is reluctantly that the interview arrived at its close. There were still many things which ought to be said. We are reflecting currently about continuations which must be appended to this interview with director Hideaki Anno. We desire to continue with this special supplement in the next issue.

Without a doubt you also desire to speak with Hideaki Anno. Your letters and postcards to Newtype will be welcome, whether they contain questions or critical opinions. The director will surely respond to their contents in the next interview.

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:37 pm

This stuff is just great; I'm not surprised at all that Anno resorted to storyboards and claiming it was to make his feelings purer for ep 26. Kinda makes his transition to Kare Kano more logical if that was indeed on his mind at the time.

Thanks a bunch Luc! :D
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

liquidus118
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby liquidus118 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:57 am

Wow, that was a great read. It's nice to hear Anno's view without the filter of a tv show or film. He seems a pretty damn smart guy.

Thanks for the translation, it's greatly appreciated.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:13 pm

It's so interesting to contrast the young, cocky, idealistic Anno with the old, humble, cynical Anno. I think I like the young one better, but appreciate that he grew into the old one.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

1996 Hideaki Anno interview

•      
  •      

Postby gwern » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:45 pm

Master copy: http://www.gwern.net/docs/eva/1996-newtype-anno-interview
Email ANN: http://eva.onegeek.org/pipermail/evangelion/2012-July/007204.html

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:28 pm

Anno wrote:On the computer messaging someone can still make a rebuttal, but this remains the standard of toilet graffiti.

So, uh...this should probably become the new EGF motto, right?
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:30 pm

Gwern, where do you get this stuff?
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby gwern » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:34 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:Gwern, where do you get this stuff?

As I indicate in the preface, this is from a French website.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:38 pm

The French get all the good stuff. . . At least, in this case.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”