What anime are you watching right now? Feb-Dec 2010

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:48 pm

Should have spoilered that pic Ornette. Nobody is going to read what you actually wrote in the post. :lol: (Whose ass is that btw?)
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:52 pm

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:Should have spoilered that pic Ornette. Nobody is going to read what you actually wrote in the post. :lol: (Whose ass is that btw?)

Can't remember, every female in that show is dressed that way and aside from "Lady", Cobras armaroid, there's maybe a couple of other main female leads throughout the entire TV series/OVAs.

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Allemann » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:52 am

View Original PostOrnette wrote:Can't remember, every female in that show is dressed that way and aside from "Lady", Cobras armaroid, there's maybe a couple of other main female leads throughout the entire TV series/OVAs.

The hot female design is quite recycled.

Kutta
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Kutta » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:25 am

View Original PostMerridian wrote:Haruhi was cool, but I found the broadcast order's creative use of nonlinearity to emphasize an overarching romantic 'plot' to be a very interesting structure that I've never seen before in anime.

Creative? Hell yes. But - sorry if it's a bit confusing - I think that the chronological order of Haruhi was the effective non-chronological order. I mean the original airing order is pretty awesome in its way of arranging episodes to create a sense of a plot and emphasize those overarching themes. You could say that the original airing boasts a more conventional plot progression, even though it was made possible by shuffling episodes (and making sure that inferential gaps are kept in bay). On the other hand the chronological order just destroys most impressions of progression and structure, and I think I'm happier with that, because in real life there is no progression and structure, despite our hunter-gatherer brains' constant urge to make overarching narratives out of nothing. By its structure or lack of structure, chronological Haruhi conveys the sense of "regular" days going on and on like few other work I'm aware of.
If I were to ask you on a date, would your answer be the same as your answer to this question?

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:39 pm

Macross Plus you can start anytime, really.

Sure about that? 'Cause I want to make sure I understand what happens in canon perspective. I'll most likely start next week once the second episode is recorded from Syfy.

Speaking of which I'm up to episode 16 in the original series, a lot happens with a bit more about the Zentradi being revealed with Quamzin proving he is probably the most arrogant field commander in any anime I've ever seen, or pretty much any form of media for that matter. That and apparent ace pilot Milia of the Zentradi gets an intro and hints that she's one of those disobeyer types kind of like the Earth Alliance trio in Gundam SEED. Needs some more action scenes, otherwise there isn't much to complain about.......outside of Minmay's singing. :pout:
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:42 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:.......outside of Minmay's singing. :pout:

Don't take 80s idol pop style as Iijima's fault. She's good singer.

Anyway, since you're already at ep 16 just watch SDF Macross & DYRL before Plus.

Remember to watch Frontier too. And Zero, of course

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:16 am

I feel weird now because of what happened last night. Just before midnight, I thought I was going to continue reading Tarkovsky's Sculpting in Time or begin reading Andre Bazin's articles or Virginia Woolf's Mrs. Dalloway. But even with all of this literary awesomeness ready for me, what did I do? I watched the first three episodes of Macross Frontier. Silly Kawamori, silly editing, silly Kanno, silly songs, silly characters.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:24 am

View Original PostOz wrote:I feel weird now because of what happened last night. Just before midnight, I thought I was going to continue reading Tarkovsky's Sculpting in Time or begin reading Andre Bazin's articles or Virginia Woolf's Mrs. Dalloway. But even with all of this literary awesomeness ready for me, what did I do? I watched the first three episodes of Macross Frontier. Silly Kawamori, silly editing, silly Kanno, silly songs, silly characters.

You forgot silly action choreographies :tongue:

as for Frontier watching overall... :mwahaha:

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:09 pm

I'm still waiting for Vol. 1 and 2 of TTGL to get here. After that, with my PC now hooked up to my theater, I'm pretty much open to suggestions for any anime I can download and watch.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

DoktaTenma
Embryo

Postby DoktaTenma » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:41 pm

I have seen every anime in existence.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:30 am

To say farewell to Boogiepop, I will be watching the movie... Yes, I read the manga before.(too lazy to buy the novel.) I expect major lulz to be had at the cheesyness of the film.

then onto Texhnolyze. Hopefully I'll love it.

ran1
Banned

Postby ran1 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:58 am

There's the Gantz Complete Seasons Uber-Box Set sitting at my local Best Buy for the paltry price of $30.00, and according to some people I know who watch anime a bit more casually than I do, Gantz is the 21st century God of the Action Animu (DBZ being the 20th century diety).

But, the internets sometimes tells me that Gantz is sometimes just a mess of lold33p. But, the internets have lied to me before (Oshii), so has anyone seen/watching Gantz? A review/opinion on the series would be awesome.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:40 pm

I have not watched Gantz; what I usually hear is "LOL GONZO ending". If you've calibrated Gumpy Jii-san's tastes, then you could try his review at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2x9g1zDXpw
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:25 pm

View Original Postran1 wrote:There's the Gantz Complete Seasons Uber-Box Set sitting at my local Best Buy for the paltry price of $30.00, and according to some people I know who watch anime a bit more casually than I do, Gantz is the 21st century God of the Action Animu (DBZ being the 20th century diety).
I tried to watch Gantz in December, but I found it very boring and not nearly as graphic as I was led to believe. I dropped it after four or five episodes, but I was also trying to get through Ideon as quickly as possible at the same time. Marathoning Ideon like that probably wasn’t the best idea, but despite my somewhat underwhelmed response to it, I’d still take it over Gantz any day.

And as Tines mentioned, I've heard similar complaints about the ending, but I didn't even get that far.

If you want good semi-mindless action animu, I’d recommend Samurai Champloo if you haven’t already seen it. And the action in Moribito was pretty awesome, if you dig Kenji Kamiyama (GitS:SAC)—but that doesn’t have a box set, yet. Or just watch GitS:SAC, since that’s got heaping amounts of everything that makes anime awesome. Especially the second season. Something tells me you've already seen GitS:SAC, though :lol:

ran1
Banned

Postby ran1 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:11 pm

Something tells me you've already seen GitS:SAC, though

Holy Shit Coincidence considering I just bought the 1st and 4th dvd in the set today for pennies on the fuckin dollars. I love the GiTS TV series so much that it hurts to see the mess Oshii made of it with his damned directing. I mean that show had it all, man, spot-on pacing, intellectual plotlines without getting overly didatic -- that anime made my adolescence.

Watching it on Adult Swim with a friend of mine and communicating about its epicness via IM is probably what got me out of the "Animu is just crazy Japanese shit" phase that so many people are in, basically paving my way to watching Eva, and I suppose indirectly, putting my ass on this board. Awesome shits.

I’d recommend Samurai Champloo if you haven’t already seen it

AABS. (Awaiting affordable box set).

And the action in Moribito was pretty awesome

I saw that at Best Buy for a pretty good price. I had no idea what it was about, but the spear lady and backgrounds looked pretty sweet judging from teh box.

if you dig Kenji Kamiyama

There are people who don't?

I have not watched Gantz; what I usually hear is "LOL GONZO ending". If you've calibrated Gumpy Jii-san's tastes, then you could try his review at

Yeah, I've seen his reviews, and I suppose my expectations are pretty on par with his concerning general animu.

As it stands, I'm gonna suspend Gantz in favor of Moribito.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:25 pm

View Original Postran1 wrote:Holy Shit Coincidence considering I just bought the 1st and 4th dvd in the set today for pennies [...] I mean that show had it all, man, spot-on pacing, intellectual plotlines without getting overly didatic -- that anime made my adolescence.
yeah, GitS:SAC is one of my favorite series, and apart from maybe NGE and Bebop (or shit, maybe even including those) it's the one I end up rewatching the most just because it's so awesome.

And I saw in the recent hauls thread that you're planning on picking up the other two vols if you can find 'em, but you might like to know that GitS:SAC has seven volumes. Same goes for 2nd Gig. Now there's an anime legends box out for each season, so you could probably just get 2nd Gig that way if you can't dig up uber-cheap used copies.

ran1 wrote:I saw that at Best Buy for a pretty good price. I had no idea what it was about, but the spear lady and backgrounds looked pretty sweet judging from teh box.
Kenji Kamiyama + mystical magic folk tale-ish Miyazaki like setting + sword & spear fights = win.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:36 pm

View Original PostMerridian wrote:And the action in Moribito was pretty awesome

Moribito is a troll series. It has badass action in the first three episodes and last two episodes, but in between those are 21 episodes of talking. If you go into this show expecting action or something with good pacing, don't bother.

ran1 wrote:I love the GiTS TV series so much that it hurts to see the mess Oshii made of it with his damned directing.

Thank you. At least one person agrees with me. Now if only more people would, the world would be a better place.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby LeoXiao » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:05 pm

Oshii is badass. Hence, I will see GITS 2.0 even though its a remake of the old one.

alabaster
Lilith

Postby alabaster » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:20 am

I'm almost finished Moribito and yeah, the middle has little action, but I'm just as much about the characters and the culture so I'm loving the series.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Alabaster

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:36 am

Holy shit Re: Cutie Honey’s insane. I feel like I’m watching an even weirder & lolJapan version of the Powerpuff Girls. I guess this is what happens when Anno channels Go Nagai and isn’t depressed.

BrikHaus wrote: Moribito is a troll series. It has badass action in the first three episodes and last two episodes, but in between those are 21 episodes of talking. If you go into this show expecting action or something with good pacing, don't bother.
I do remember it had a LOT of talking, but that’s pretty typical of any Kenji Kamiyama piece. GitS:SAC & 2nd Gig practically revolve around lengthy plot expositions through dialogue, and Eden of the East was heavy on the speaking as well. But even though Moribito didn’t have as much action as GitS:SAC, I still thought it had decent (if somewhat fuzzy) pacing, solid characterization, and well choreographed action sequences. The only things that turned me off from it were some of the characters (a few were pretty annoying), and aspects of the plot that just felt… lacking somehow. I still enjoyed it, though.

As it is, the action in Moribito is gonna beat a quite a bit of the other stuff out there, despite not having a whole lot of fighting. Like Gantz. Or Baccano.
ran1 wrote:(Awaiting affordable box set).
Amazon's having a sale at the moment. Could pick up the Samurai Champloo box set for ~$37 with free shipping. Or cruz internetz waiting for deal.

Return to “Old Stickies”