question about Rei and souls...

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
nyugvo6
Embryo

question about Rei and souls...

•      
  •      

Postby nyugvo6 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:04 pm

I was on a animecon today where was a stupid quiz:

which one of these characters doesn't have a HUMAN soul:
a, forgot this one
b, Sasuke (naruto)
c, Rei Ayanami
d, Vash the stampede (Trigun)

my answer was teh Rei of course. As far as I know Yui's soul is in unit 01, Lilith's soul is in Rei, and clearly Lilith is NOT a human.

turns out I was wrong since the answer was Vash, while I don't remember they were even discussing souls in it.

I asked them anyways afterwards. The guys said that Yui's soul has been halved and one half is in 01 and the other in Rei.

I never heard of this ever. so I need you guys to clear this for me, please?
one two, one two...

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:06 pm

100% Yui's Soul in Evangelion Unit-01.

Around 50% of Lilith's soul in Rei II, and a considerable amount more in Rei III (perhaps 100%). Not sure about Rei I.

The only thing Rei got in relation with Yui was physical appearance.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:42 pm

That quiz is fucking stupid.

To be FAIR, Lilith is technically a human, but Rei isn't a soul-split of Yui or any such thing.

nyugvo6
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby nyugvo6 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:20 pm

about that Lilith is human, I thought she's only as human as an angel/eva, 99%, and that is not a 100%
one two, one two...

DIDDY
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby DIDDY » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:26 pm

nyugvo6 wrote:about that Lilith is human, I thought she's only as human as an angel/eva, 99%, and that is not a 100%

http://wiki.evageeks.org/Human
ONLY SMART PEOPLE LIKE EVANGELION?

nyugvo6
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby nyugvo6 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:43 pm

DIDDY wrote:
nyugvo6 wrote:about that Lilith is human, I thought she's only as human as an angel/eva, 99%, and that is not a 100%

if you put it this way Rei always had a human soul...

anyhow, their argument is invaild, since they said Yui's soul's half is in Rei, and they were wrong, that's all what matters now.

thank you guys, you've been a great help :thumbsup:
Last edited by nyugvo6 on Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
one two, one two...

DIDDY
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby DIDDY » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:50 pm

nyugvo6 wrote:
DIDDY wrote:

if you put it this way Rei always had a human soul...

Or human souls. Or parts of them, I guess.
ONLY SMART PEOPLE LIKE EVANGELION?

Hiten777
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Hiten777 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:46 pm

Looking at Rei is very complex. To see her in any adaptation of the series (except the ones where she is portrayed as a distant relative or another character) is to look at her from her perspective and those of around her.
While Rei is said to house the soul of lillith, she does have a small portion of yui's DNA, but that only goes so far as making up her physical traits that slightly resemble yui. Being the soul of lillith, critics naturally think that she's lillith and not normal or that Rei Ayanami is just a name given to her and that she isn't really a person. But to see the real Rei is to look deeper.
Throughout the series Rei has demonstrated the ability to grow in both mind and spirit through her interactions with others. Although she started off as introverted and only serving of Gendo, she gets closer to other characters as well and shows more of her human side, demonstrating that Rei Ayanami is more than just the name she is given, it is her sense of self. Like Kaworu, Rei has shown that she can make her own decisions. Kaworu, despite being the host for adam's soul, had his own personality and spirit enabling him to freely choose to die instead of acting as others angels, even adam, and choosing to start 3I. Similarly, Rei has even grown to develop feelings for Shinji, something that has cause controversy among fans.
Rei's relationship with Shinji can be best described as a meeting of two people who have similar problems. Shinji has trouble facing the fact that his father won't accept him and desires to get closer to him. Rei, being raised by the Gendo, has been close to him since she was born and has grown to see him as her world. It is only through interaction with Shinji that Rei begins to see a world outside of Gendo's view and secretly desires to explore it, starting with her growing feelings for Shinji. The closing gap between the two pilots demonstrates that Rei has her own desires and feelings that form her own unique being and personality, whereas looking at her as Lillith only blinds people to the fact that though she has lilliths soul she is in effect her own unique self and only when she combines with lillith does lillith truly take effect.
Rei even comments on how her self "Rei Ayanami" is formed in the interactions she forms with others and grows to accept that as herself. Seeing this Rei is neccesary to truly seeing her as an individual, a 14 year old girl who has been taught to be introverted yet grows to develop friendships and even love with a person who truly sees her as a unique person rather than a combination of two beings or means to 3I.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Re: question about Rei and souls...

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:07 am

nyugvo6 wrote:I was on a animecon today where was a stupid quiz:

a, forgot this one
b, Sasuke (naruto)
c, Rei Ayanami

...turns out I was wrong since the answer was Vash,

Wow, that's down-right esoteric, I mean sure, Vash is a "plant" and all, never actually understood what that meant, but it's a far more, well, dark topic really than I figured these conventions to be bothering with. Isn't the point to have fun there (and slowly lose touch with reality for a while)? :ehh:
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

nyugvo6
Embryo

Re: question about Rei and souls...

•      
  •      

Postby nyugvo6 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:57 am

Alaska Slim wrote:
nyugvo6 wrote:I was on a animecon today where was a stupid quiz:

a, forgot this one
b, Sasuke (naruto)
c, Rei Ayanami

...turns out I was wrong since the answer was Vash,

Wow, that's down-right esoteric, I mean sure, Vash is a "plant" and all, never actually understood what that meant, but it's a far more, well, dark topic really than I figured these conventions to be bothering with. Isn't the point to have fun there (and slowly lose touch with reality for a while)? :ehh:

well, about the plant thing: I think it meant that he's an artifical human, grown just like a plant, that's all. the guys making the convention had other idiotic questions like: what anime/manga was portayed in hellsing's second volume's inner back, also which series has the biggest cast of named characters, etc. their point was to show narutards that they're not anime experts, or either portray them as some wise asses.

Hiten: thanks for the long answer, it made sense.
one two, one two...

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:33 am

The people on the spaceship even said Vash and Knives weren't human. They're from the same plants that are in those huge lightbulb things.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:18 pm

Of course, that has jackshit to do with Vash's and Knive's souls.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:03 am

If Vash and Knives are artificial humans then they are still humans. Regardless of how they came into being, they would still have souls that would be considered human.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:33 pm

They're not artificial humans ,though, they're "plants."

Of course, this is anime, where in pretty much every single one, there's an aesop how if it can think like a human, it pretty much IS a human. Ergo, all souls are human enough.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”