Why Was the Positron Rifle Never Reused?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Logan Payne
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Logan Payne » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:05 pm

That was working together as a team, which they did about as well as a square peg and a round hole in the first isfarael attack.

Misato could either get the two fools to shape up (Mostly Asuka, if you ask me) or go through a huge pain in the ass, and still have the same problem.

Fast Tony DeNiro
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Fast Tony DeNiro » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:06 pm

NAveryW wrote:The point isn't to justify everything, but to determine if something can be justified and, if not, if it's a plothole, an error in judgment, etc. There are several things in NGE that can't be completely justified, and this thread is just to determine if this is one of them.

I just wanted to point out, you have the greatest avatar, probably of all time.

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby schismatics » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:01 pm

Axell wrote:well israfel was incapacitated for a few days, they easily could have prepared another rifle for that

The probably could've killed him/her without even using the Evas then. Just wire up something to pull the trigger and boom! dead Israfel.

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:05 pm

well i guess the true answer is that the plot (almost) never called for its use again

steve_stevenson
Adam

this may be the n00best post ever

•      
  •      

Postby steve_stevenson » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:57 pm

if a fully charged shot from the positron rifle is enough to penetrate an AT field why couldnt they just rig it to be operated by a person?

I dont think getting enough power would be a problem if they had a week to prepare.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Re: this may be the n00best post ever

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:43 pm

steve_stevenson wrote:if a fully charged shot from the positron rifle is enough to penetrate an AT field why couldnt they just rig it to be operated by a person?

I dont think getting enough power would be a problem if they had a week to prepare.
You do raise a good point: the people who built the positron rifle didn't know it was going to be used by an Evangelion. Why was the trigger so big that no normal person could pull it? Shouldn't they have just installed a small button to push to fire it?
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

TheLobe
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby TheLobe » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:45 pm

NAveryW wrote:
TheLobe wrote:I think it was very uncertain that it would work. They used all of japans energy, and they weren't sure it would work.
But it did and it didn't break.

you obviously don't have much experience with technology screwing up. SOmetimes it just randomly stops and starts working again.

Logan Payne
Ramiel
Ramiel

Re: this may be the n00best post ever

•      
  •      

Postby Logan Payne » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:45 pm

NAveryW wrote:
steve_stevenson wrote:if a fully charged shot from the positron rifle is enough to penetrate an AT field why couldnt they just rig it to be operated by a person?

You do raise a good point: the people who built the positron rifle didn't know it was going to be used by an Evangelion. Why was the trigger so big that no normal person could pull it? Shouldn't they have just installed a small button to push to fire it?

That huge apparatus is probably designed so that it can eventually be an Eva's long barrel rifle. For example when they picked it up in 1.0.

@steve: I hope you're kidding

TheLobe
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby TheLobe » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:51 pm

they never state that it wasn't designed for evangelion. Maybe nerv commisioned weapons to be made for the eva. Either that or the created a massive prototype and were planning on downgrading it. Also why do you need an eva to use prog knives and rifles?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:06 am

TheLobe wrote:Also why do you need an eva to use prog knives and rifles?

Because they can use their ATFs at the same time.

Of course, real Evas only need the ATFs, but, zomg mecha genre, must have lots of other cool and heavily merchandisable shit in there, too!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Logan Payne
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Logan Payne » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:08 am

Reichu wrote:
TheLobe wrote:Also why do you need an eva to use prog knives and rifles?

Because they can use their ATFs at the same time.

Of course, real Evas only need the ATFs, but, zomg mecha genre, must have lots of other cool and heavily merchandisable shit in there, too!

Also, if you're building a mecha that is bankrupting nations as it is, you might as well throw in some gear in case of emergency...

You know...like...just in case.

Sammaeloo
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Sammaeloo » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:19 am

Maybe they could have one stationed on a giant turret inside of NERV as a last resort. Or better yet, attatch one to a satelite and have it store up enough power from solar panels for several months, then keep it stored until it needs to be used.
Seize the day.....by the throat....
I hate mcdonalds because their mascot is a creepy spooky clown who looks like he smells funny. Seriously every time I see ronald I think he's secretly some sort of rapist who turns people into hamburgers. Also their food sucks. -Defectron
Our plumbing is messed up and my dad will not call anybody because he's a cheap asshole. Fuck you old man, fucking call someone. Some of us want to stay sanitary. -backseatjesus

TheLobe
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby TheLobe » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:05 am

How do the neutralize an AT field when firing a rifle at them. come to think of it, I don't think they ever won using rifles.

Logan Payne
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Logan Payne » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:30 am

TheLobe wrote:How do the neutralize an AT field when firing a rifle at them. come to think of it, I don't think they ever won using rifles.

Episode 6

TheLobe
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby TheLobe » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:50 am

I didn't count ramiel because we were discussing that anyway.

obama
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby obama » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:54 pm

wasnt it used against arael?

anyway israfel had two cores so the rifle wouldnt work on him, how boring would the fight be anyway if he was kill with a rifle compared to the epic ballet that took place in that fight.

every other angel moves around a lot, in the ramiel fight it took years to focus on ramiel even though he didnt move.
Saving the world!

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:02 pm

So much of what takes place in NGE doesn't make sense.

I.E. In Episode 5 there's a giant freaking chalk outline of where Unit 01 fell during it's battle with Shamshel. Why? It seems like an utter waste. Did they really hire some poor guy to make an outline that's larger than a football field. And big waste of chalk is back in 1.0.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:14 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:So much of what takes place in NGE doesn't make sense.

I.E. In Episode 5 there's a giant freaking chalk outline of where Unit 01 fell during it's battle with Shamshel. Why? It seems like an utter waste. Did they really hire some poor guy to make an outline that's larger than a football field. And big waste of chalk is back in 1.0.
I never realized how hilarious that is until now. I feel kind of sorry for the guy who had to trace Unit 01's entire body. Actually, judging by the size, it was probably done by a car-sized machine dumping a large quantity of some unspecified white substance (i.e. paint) on the ground.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

TheWaffleCult
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby TheWaffleCult » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:15 pm

NAveryW wrote:dumping a large quantity of some unspecified white substance.

Shinji demonstrates this ability at the beginning of End of Evangelion.

The thing I never understood about the positron rifle was its actual purpose. The JSSDF seemed pretty pissed that NERV was taking it; but once it was actually put together and such, it's pretty clearly designed for an Eva. What was the SDF going to do with it, exactly? Strap it on top of a really big tank?

That, and Rei just waltzing in and lifting up the ceiling and grabbing the parts. That was pretty hilarious. As for never using it again... within the story, I'd assume that had to do with internal politics between NERV and the SDF, not to mention the hassle of tapping the entire nation's power every time they fired a shot. That would be absolute murder on power transformers, not to mention the (presumably) already fragile economy.

trueno_twentyone
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby trueno_twentyone » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:37 pm

just to remind you, in RoE, you saw how it was set up... and it was damn long and damn expensive, you can't set it up again and again...
and what would be the point of having tha ultimate weapon as described by Ritsuko, if you have a greater weapon than the ultimate...maybe the rifle was damaged in the process and the other rifle used by Rei was a small scale.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”