Love or Obsession Gendo & Yui

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:20 pm

DatDude wrote:You think to much of YuiChan I think.

Do not use my god's name in vain, lest thy evoke Her Wrath.

Watching the end of episode #19 again to take screen caps, I am once again in the grips of Yui-induced rapture. Ahhhhhhhhh... :low moan:

:laughs:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:12 pm

I would think it a tad difficult to debate whether or not Yui has a "God Complex" when not much is invested into her character that would point to anything but a God Character. Yui exists to provide a beacon of hope, and quite unapologetically. You rarely see her as anything but sunny when in her human form. It feels as though her very existence was not intended to be anything beyond a very large catalyst. Assigning somewhat dire awarness OR illness to her brings spice to where there was, for lack of better terminology, a Do-Good-Know-It-All-Yet-Know-Nothing Negligent Ninny. If she's simply as enlightened as she seems, then she's really not that interesting at all. Classically, one with vision as broad as hers would be deemed a villain. Avoiding that, she seems to be something undeemable, a lot like that most-loved of "unvillains", God.

It's like asking if God has a God Complex -- only if we assume that she shouldn't.
Last edited by Hexon.Arq on Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:17 pm

Hexon.Arq wrote:I would think it a tad difficult to debate whether or not Yui has a "God Complex" when not much is invested into her character that would point to anything but a God Character. Yui exists to provide a beacon of hope, and quite unapologetically. You rarely see her as anything but sunny when in her human form. It feels as though her very existence was not intended to be anything beyond a very large catalyst. Assigning somewhat dire awarness and pathos to her brings spice to where there was, for lack of better terminology, a Do-Good-Know-It-All-Yet-Know-Nothing Negligent Ninny. If she's simply as enlightened as she seems, then she's really not that interesting at all.

Yuis always felt incomplete to me we dont' get hardly anything about her inner demons/working of her mind like we do with Asuka, Shinji, or Misato.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:19 pm

Hexon.Arq wrote: You rarely see her as anything but sunny when in her human form.

We rarely see her in her human form at all; although, her "sunnyness" is not present in the DC meeting between her and Fuyutski. Anyway, I feel this whole villain arguement is nonsense. GAINAX clearly did not intend for her to be one, and as much as we want, we can not change the show.
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:20 pm

Soluzar wrote:"Insane" is not a term which has been used for a long time, in official circles, if indeed it ever was.

According to a USAn lawyer acquaintance of mine, speaking about 20 years ago, insanity was a purely legal term, denoting the ability to be ascribed guilt.

As for Yui & Gendo - I think whatever it was at the beginning, it became an obsession for him in the end.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:41 pm

Dave wrote:We rarely see her in her human form at all; although, her "sunnyness" is not present in the DC meeting between her and Fuyutski. Anyway, I feel this whole villain arguement is nonsense. GAINAX clearly did not intend for her to be one, and as much as we want, we can not change the show.

Be one what?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Carl Horn
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Carl Horn » Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:59 pm

Dave wrote:
Hexon.Arq wrote: You rarely see her as anything but sunny when in her human form.

We rarely see her in her human form at all; although, her "sunnyness" is not present in the DC meeting between her and Fuyutski. Anyway, I feel this whole villain arguement is nonsense. GAINAX clearly did not intend for her to be one, and as much as we want, we can not change the show.

But if one was given a similar limitation in, say, literature class--that is, if one had to go only by what was believed to be the author's view of what kind of people their characters were, without being allowed to argue one's own perspective upon encountering the work...

My negative view of Yui isn't based on a desire to change the show, but upon my own, perhaps different, evaluation of what the show is presenting me, and my continued reflection on it after almost ten years.

I love EVA as it is, but it may be that I have different feelings about it now than I did in 1995-97--not of the "in retrospect, it really wasn't that great" variety, but of the "I see it another way now" kind.

Soluzar
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:09 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:
According to a USAn lawyer acquaintance of mine, speaking about 20 years ago, insanity was a purely legal term, denoting the ability to be ascribed guilt.

They used "competent" or "incompetent" as far back as the 1920s, according to some sources that I have read, and even if "insane" was a legal term, which I can believe, I mean that it was not a term used by the medical establishment. Certainly, it is not used officially today. If you don't believe me, get a shrink, and say the word to him, and watch him have apoplexy. :twisted:

But if one was given a similar limitation in, say, literature class--that is, if one had to go only by what was believed to be the author's view of what kind of people their characters were, without being allowed to argue one's own perspective upon encountering the work...
Even in lit. class you still have to be able to make an argument based on credible evidence, rather than the varieties of evidence (non-existent) that you favour. I can tell you right now, that in a first-year paper you might get away with this theory, but in a proper debate, in class, or a paper for later years, you'd receive a low grade, and a stern warning to not build castles in the sky.

If you effectively become a god, do you still have a god complex?
That's what I said, only shorter. :)
Natsukashii, ne?

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:52 pm

Reichu wrote:Be one what?

A watermelon.
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:58 pm

Dave wrote:A watermelon.

You forgot to append "... dumbass" to the end of your sentence.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:41 pm

Even in lit. class you still have to be able to make an argument based on credible evidence, rather than the varieties of evidence (non-existant) that you favour.

Fucking world go boom. She be all smiley.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Crazy_Beserker
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Crazy_Beserker » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:27 pm

Hey people duno if anyone realised this but during the series it would seem like after Gendo lost Yui he became obessed with finding ways to keep some aspect of her alive so that he could live on...for example when Rei was trapped in the Eva after it went beserk in the reactivation test Gendo ran down and opened the burning hot entry plug and burnt his hands...then again during the end of the series i saw that during one of the flashbacks Ritsuko's mum realised that Rei was made in the image of Yui...does that seem like an obsession or just love lol... :?: thats bordering on obsession i think...

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”