Who does Rei Sync with in Episode 24?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Nukie
Lilith

Who does Rei Sync with in Episode 24?

•      
  •      

Postby Nukie » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:18 pm

Apologies if this has been discussed before.

I just watched episode 24' again recently, and noticed how odd it was that Rei was in her entry plug doing sync tests with Shinji and Kaworu. I had subscribed to the theory that Rei I was incorporated into Rei III, but does this throw a monkey wrench in that theory? Rei's sync patterns are also the same as before 00 blew up.

So if it wasn't Rei I, who (or what) was Rei syncing with?
-!

rberlin
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby rberlin » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:25 pm

I think since Rei's an angel that like Kaworu she can sync with an Eva that doesn't have a soul.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:53 pm

Huh, interesting question. Even when using the simulation bodies in ep13 I'm fairly sure they were still actually syncing up with their evas via some sort of remote linkage, but obviously that isn't possible for Rei at that point in the series.

If the pilots can usefully link up with evas other than ones they have a personal connection to that just raises much bigger questions. What exactly is entailed in resetting an eva's 'core data'... soul transference? Is there really any requirement for dead mothers and 14-year-olds at all?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Nukie
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Nukie » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:00 pm

rberlin wrote:I think since Rei's an angel that like Kaworu she can sync with an Eva that doesn't have a soul.

Yes, but the difference there is that Kaworu was syncing with a soul, albeit one that that wasn't active. I dont think its possible to sync with a soulless Eva, is it? With Eva 00, there's nothing physically left except the entry plug and some random remnants, so what's left? Which leaves the question of which Eva she is connected to.
-!

rberlin
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby rberlin » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:08 pm

Well, Kaworu said that he could control an Eva that either didn't have a soul, or one where the soul was shutting itself up.

Maybe the sync tests only measured the emotional distress of the pilots and matched it against data about the core to determine an approximate compatibility.

Or maybe they tested her against 01's core as she can intermittently sync with Yui.

That, or it was just a cartoon and my wife wants me to come to bed.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:13 pm

Yes, but we have 3 pilots and only 2 available evas.

This only works out if you use hot dog math.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

rberlin
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby rberlin » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:17 pm

Yeah, but like it's been said, they weren't in their Evas and we don't know much about the sync tests at all.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:20 pm

I'm using puppy math.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:30 pm

They have to be synchronizing with something... pretty much by definition.

Insane thought: Could Rei and Shinji BOTH be linked to Shogouki? That seems ill-advised at best, and potentially catastrophically bad for both of them and the instrumentality project as a whole.

Even more insane thought: Is Rei hooked up to the crucified Lilith? I don't think there is even a word for how bad an idea that would be.

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:14 am

Rei is obviously doing what all women can do, faking it.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:45 am

^

I see what you did there.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Oedipusfoot
Ireul
Ireul

Re: Who does Rei Sync with in Episode 24?

•      
  •      

Postby Oedipusfoot » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:51 am

Nukie wrote:Apologies if this has been discussed before.

I just watched episode 24' again recently, and noticed how odd it was that Rei was in her entry plug doing sync tests with Shinji and Kaworu. I had subscribed to the theory that Rei I was incorporated into Rei III, but does this throw a monkey wrench in that theory? Rei's sync patterns are also the same as before 00 blew up.

So if it wasn't Rei I, who (or what) was Rei syncing with?

I don't really get your question, but...

All the Reis are the same. Though they aren't emotionally (because of differnt meeting, environments) they are at the core psychologically the same (Ritsuko mentions to Shinji that Rei's room is an impression of the room she was 'born' in in Nerv, so the Reis all share this characteristic like they share a core identity). The Evas sync with someone who's subconscious makeup is compatible. So all Reis would sync in the same way, even though once one dies and another one starts, the starting one doesn't have experience.

What matters is the Rei I's emotions might have been incorportated into Rei II, though the ability to express them and preconscious memories weren't. They are different and aren't really 'merged' in the traditional sense.

Rei syncs with Unit-00's data, not physically Unit-00 (probably). The magi probably make the plug's conditions conform to the Eva's 'feel' while in the plug, so the pilots can practice syncronization. The magi probably mimics each Evas' requirements for synchronization. They'll store the data gotten during tests when the pilots are actually in the Eva (since there seem to be two different sync tests, ones in and out of the Eva. The tests in the Eva are taken more seriously because they show actual, real-time results. The ones just in the plug with mimic data are for check-ups probably).So Rei's still syncing with Unit-00 ('s data).

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:37 pm

It should be noted that Kaworu can sync the way he does because he "shares the same body" as the Evangelions, being Adam. Rei obviously doesn't have that trait. Most likely, they were just simulating sync tests, or perhaps she was also syncing up to Unit 01, since she's the backup pilot.

Twsa'teotu
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twsa'teotu » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:40 pm

NemZ wrote:Yes, but we have 3 pilots and only 2 available evas.

This only works out if you use hot dog math.

they probably were making Rei III sync with Eva-01, taking turns with Shinji, and just kept Rei III around as a backup pilot.
Question: "who the hell do you think I am?"
Answer: "My name is Mr. Snrub and I come from some place far away....Anyway, I say we invest that money back in the nuclear plant. "
"I like the way Snrub thinks!"

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:08 pm

But wasn't Yui rejecting Rei by that point? Unless Yui was just temporarily being moody (which honestly doesn't seem her style... I get the feeling that when Mrs. Ikari puts her foot down it stays down, no matter who she might be stepping on) I'm not sure that the 'sharing' rationalization is even possible.

Duke
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Duke » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:29 pm

I think Yui was just being a bitch in episode 19.

They probably have a simulation synchroniser. Remember the fake evas?

rberlin
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby rberlin » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:43 pm

AuraTwilight wrote:It should be noted that Kaworu can sync the way he does because he "shares the same body" as the Evangelions, being Adam. Rei obviously doesn't have that trait. Most likely, they were just simulating sync tests, or perhaps she was also syncing up to Unit 01, since she's the backup pilot.

But Rei can sync with 00 which is also Adam based. And Adam and Lilith can merge, so I'm guessing there isn't really all that much difference physiology wise between Adam and Lilith. Humans and Shamshel were somehow or another 99.89% similar despite being made of completely different mater.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:41 am

But Rei can sync with 00 which is also Adam based.

Rei's own soul is in 00. She's syncing with herself.

And Adam and Lilith can merge, so I'm guessing there isn't really all that much difference physiology wise between Adam and Lilith. Humans and Shamshel were somehow or another 99.89% similar despite being made of completely different mater.

Lilim and Angels can merge with each other too, but it's not part of our physiology. Besides, merging Adam and Lilith is EXTREMELY unnatural and taboo, anyway. This is all moot anyway; Rei actually has the worst syncing record. If anything, her being Lilith makes it difficult to sync with Adam's flesh.

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:03 pm

I thought syncing was based with the soul, not the body, and that Rei's low record was that she was ultimately just syncing with herself instead of someone else.

Duke
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Duke » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:20 pm

Well in EoE:

"Where's Rei?!"

"UNABLE TO LOCATE, PILOT OF UNIT-00 IS MISSING!"

seriously, why does it matter that she's the pilot any more? where would they put her? Unit-01 was gonna be filled with Shinji, Unit-02 had Asuka in it.... :/

Maybe they rebuilt an eva and just never used it?

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”