Evangelion Unit Airbone Transports

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Tabasco
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Tabasco » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:49 am

Alaska Slim wrote:It can lift nearly 1.5 MILLION pounds, that's like 750,000 tons! If it could carry just 40,000 lbs, it wouldn't be taking off with the Buron on it's back, which weighs an easy 250,000 itself. I have to say, the An-225 certaintly looks overengineered...

Missed a couple zeroes there, 1.5 million pounds goes to 750 tons. Which btw, is the all up weight of the An-225, not its payload capacity, which is closer to 250 tons, the weight of the Buran and its rocket booster.

That's not to say that an aircraft that -could- lift an Eva is impossible, though. A flying wing design the size of the An-225, like the carriers in the show, would probably be perfect for the job.
---
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one insists on adapting the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
- George Bernard Shaw

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:53 pm

Tabasco wrote:
Missed a couple zeroes there, 1.5 million pounds goes to 750 tons. Which btw, is the all up weight of the An-225, not its payload capacity, which is closer to 250 tons, the weight of the Buran and its rocket booster.

True, I thought the number was off... now I know problem, I kept inputing 1.5 BILLION into the calculator... As to the measure, that's the An-225's Maximium takeoff weight, the plane itself is 385,800 lbs, that still gives it an easy million. You also have to keep mind how it would carry Eva, which would probably be different from the Buran, perhaps closer to how the F-type equipment does it. 8)
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:42 pm

I'm not sure if an An-225 could carry an Eva for very long, but the flying wings seen are much bigger than even an An-225 and can carry a lot more since they're essentially huge wings. The larger the lifting surface, the more the lift. I estimate a fuselage length of around seventy meters for the flying wing, and a wingspan of over a hundred. An-225 is about 88 meters for both fuselage and wing.

The A380, of course, is much more recent technology than an An-225. As a matter of fact, the only completed An-225 could do with a major overhaul and re-engining.

Actually, the Flying Wing reminds me of a Northrop XB-49, a post WW2 flying wing whose design was updated much later for the creation of the B-2 spirit.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:28 pm

I think at least this much is clear: With these real examples of planes that can carry very heavy payloads, it is reasonable to assume that if they WANTED to build a plane that carries an Evangelion for long distances, they can do so successfully.

destroyer
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby destroyer » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:56 am

... they cloned a creature beyond their belief in both size and power. they created armor that could contain that creature, they created the technology to house and launch said creature, and even created weapons that could kill other creatures of similar size and even greater power... i'm sure at that point it wouldn't be a problem to build a plane that could lift something as big as an eva.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:24 am

UrsusArctos wrote:I'm not sure if an An-225 could carry an Eva for very long, but the flying wings seen are much bigger than even an An-225 and can carry a lot more since they're essentially huge wings. The larger the lifting surface, the more the lift. I estimate a fuselage length of around seventy meters for the flying wing, and a wingspan of over a hundred. An-225 is about 88 meters for both fuselage and wing.

The F-type euipment may be big, but what about the planes that launch those huge Anti-angel missles (I say "Anti-angel" because really, they couldn't of had any other purpose) ? You know the missile Sachiel split in half before exploding and which Unit-02 took in the face and punched another?

The missles themselves are at least 2/3 of the size of Unit-02, and it fit neatly into that planes' underbelly. 8)
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Tabasco
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Tabasco » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:17 am

destroyer wrote:... they cloned a creature beyond their belief in both size and power. they created armor that could contain that creature, they created the technology to house and launch said creature, and even created weapons that could kill other creatures of similar size and even greater power... i'm sure at that point it wouldn't be a problem to build a plane that could lift something as big as an eva.

QFT

The missile carriers just reinforce that there's nothing stopping the UN from developing a heavy lift transport to get the job done provided they could secure the funding, which they obviously did.

One point, though. The missiles might be 2/3 the -length- of an Eva, but they are much narrower in both width and depth. Since mass is a function of volume I'd guesstimate they only mass about one third to one half what an Eva does, especially given Eva-02 could take one to the face at full thrust to the head and not be instantly knocked flat on its butt.
---
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one insists on adapting the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
- George Bernard Shaw

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:05 am

Since mass is a function of volume

Mass is just mass. Weight is directly proportional to the amount of mass. More volume of the same density of mass will equal more mass, but mass is not proportional to volume unless the density is always constant. Thus when comparing 2 volumes, the mean density of both needs to be factored out. It's possible that the missiles were packed full of highly dense solid rocket fuel (1.35 g/ml), more dense than organic muscle and fat (1.06 g/ml, .9 g/ml), so who knows (we have no clue what the average density of Evas are, they could be "magic" and really weigh comparitively almost nothing).

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:08 am

I don't think Evas could get away with weighing an insignificant sum, considering how much the earth shakes below their feet.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:25 am

Reichu wrote:I don't think Evas could get away with weighing an insignificant sum, considering how much the earth shakes below their feet.

Well, comparitively. (is that even a word)? Something that huge (including some Angels) shouldn't even be able to support their own wieght, let alone moving with incredible speed and agility. Also, the "magic" disclaimer. And we're getting awful close to catgirl killing territory.

Tabasco
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Tabasco » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:57 pm

Ornette wrote:
Since mass is a function of volume

Mass is just mass. Weight is directly proportional to the amount of mass. More volume of the same density of mass will equal more mass, but mass is not proportional to volume unless the density is always constant. Thus when comparing 2 volumes, the mean density of both needs to be factored out. It's possible that the missiles were packed full of highly dense solid rocket fuel (1.35 g/ml), more dense than organic muscle and fat (1.06 g/ml, .9 g/ml), so who knows (we have no clue what the average density of Evas are, they could be "magic" and really weigh comparitively almost nothing).

Poor wording on my part, I apologize. What I meant was that two objects' mass correlates to relative volume much more than to any single dimension such as length.

Granted the missile very likely is more dense, but given the disparity in volumes the difference is a non-issue.
---
- George Bernard Shaw

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:06 pm

Ornette wrote:Well, comparitively. (is that even a word)?
Yes, but you misspelled it.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”