What do they really look like?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
n00dle
Ramiel
Ramiel

What do they really look like?

•      
  •      

Postby n00dle » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:19 pm

Never seen anyone ask this before, but what would the Eva's look like if you removed all that armor?

Actually, let me rephrase that: what would they look like if they never had the armor to begin with? Cause I have a feeling that just taking it all off would reveal a very unpleasant sight, what with the fact that Seele and friends decided to just bolt the stuff on. And I don't even wanna know what the upper back/neck looks like after the plug excavating has been done...

Anyway, just wondering if there is any fanart or official sketches or anything that would answer my question.
Gone away

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:49 pm

Oh dear, there's a WHOLE can of worms being opened up on this one.

Cue teh Reichu.

Ayana-Me
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ayana-Me » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:08 pm

I hear it's something like this: Image

In the manga, when right before Unit 01 goes berserker during the fight with Sachiel, Shinji has some kind of hallucination of what looks like an Eva without the armor. This terrifying image again appears in his dream while he is in the hospital recovering.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: What do they really look like?

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:10 pm

n00dle wrote:what would they look like if they never had the armor to begin with?

Darned smexy.

I've done a lot of fan-art in my time (including the linked one). There's some ancient stuff at my fossilized, abandoned homepage (see my profile), and some newer ones that I might post at a more opportune time.

Canonical (primary:series down to whatever the manga is) depictions of Evas in various states of undress leave something to be desired, IMHO, being heavily inconsistent with one another and oftentimes defying anatomical plausibility or practicality, etc. As a result, we end up with such dodginess as the EVA-01 face in #02 and the latest Chogokin figure -- and Sadamoto's manga is a veritable gold mine. Among other things.

For some reason, I have a vague recollection of there having been a naked Evas thread before, somewhere... (EDIT: Eh, this one, a little. Deleted images make the thread no fun now.)

Ayana-Me wrote:I hear it's something like this: <snip>

The Evas don't have anywhere near as much meat on their bones. (Proportionally.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:35 pm

Shouldn't all the Eva's look exactly like giant naked Kaworu? And Eva-01 look exactly like giant naked Rei?
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

n00dle
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby n00dle » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:07 am

Why would they? Rei and Kaworu are Lilim forms, why should the Eva's look anything like them?

But yeah, those sculptors are basically along the lines of what I was looking for. Sorta...damn...those disturb me...why, oh why did you give her antlers? You have way to much free time on your hands...
Gone away

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:40 am

BrikHaus81 wrote:Shouldn't all the Eva's look exactly like giant naked Kaworu? And Eva-01 look exactly like giant naked Rei?

No.

n00dle wrote:But yeah, those sculptors are basically along the lines of what I was looking for. Sorta...

I have straightforward fan-art that doesn't involve any sort of satire or perversion (well, arguably the latter), but that was an easy link.

why, oh why did you give her antlers?

Dominatrix-Santa rides her reindeer-girl. (Don't you see those sleighbells?) It's a play off the pony-boy/girl fetish, though, not being an enthusiast of the paraphilia, I'd never seen the Santa/reindeer combination before...

I would've preferred to have the antlers on an obvious headband or something, but that was beyond my capacities.

You have way to much free time on your hands...

I managed to get a grade for that one.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

n00dle
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby n00dle » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:59 am

O.o what kinda school do you go to? Wait...don't answer that.
Gone away

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:35 am

Reichu wrote:
BrikHaus81 wrote:Shouldn't all the Eva's look exactly like giant naked Kaworu? And Eva-01 look exactly like giant naked Rei?

No.

What's y'all's source?
Awesomely Shitty
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:01 am

BrikHaus81 wrote:What's y'all's source?

Brik-kun, why would the Evas look like giant, naked versions of the Lilim vessels the Seeds of Life were shoved into? That makes, like, no sense at all.

Since the Evas are supposed to be genetically based on Adam and all*, there should, feasibly, be a striking familial resemblance. (Unless you are a harpy and you pulled your head out of somebody's ass.)

n00dle wrote:O.o what kinda school do you go to?

The identity of the school doesn't have any relevance, in this particular case.

* Standard disclaimers apply, LOL.
Last edited by Reichu on Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:01 am

Ayana-Me wrote:INSANE PIC
:shock: [sarcasm] AAAAAHHHH! MY EYES! THE BURNING! MAKE IT STOP!! MAKE... IT... STOOOOOOOOP!!!![/sarcasm] (Btw, O-T and sober for a moment, what is it with the insanity this week. Is it starting to overtake EMF or something now? Is it spring fever? The 5,732.5 sign of the apocalypse? I'll go start a thread on this now.)
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:49 am

Reichu wrote:
BrikHaus81 wrote:What's y'all's source?

Brik-kun, why would the Evas look like giant, naked versions of the Lilim vessels the Seeds of Life were shoved into? That makes, like, no sense at all.

Since we don't know what they look like (if we did then this thread wouldn't exist) then how can you so easily dismiss the idea? To me, that is what makes no sense at all. You might as well just say, "Psssh, why would the Earth revolve around the sun?" In EoE we see Lilith jump off the big cross, and then she drops SEELE's mask, and we finally see that her face looks exactly like Rei's. What purpose would Lilith have to look like the "Lilim vessel?" (And would a big-ass-powerful life form such as herself adopt the traits of a puny Lilim vessel?) I don't think there would be any purpose to it. That's why I think that's what she (probably) normally looks like. And if the Eva-01 is a copy of her, then it should look the same. I imagine for Kaworu/Adam(?) something similar would be true.

Since the Evas are supposed to be genetically based on Adam and all*, there should, feasibly, be a striking familial resemblance.

Right. But what's the deal with Adam and the regular Eva's having pylons, but the MP Eva's not? And what's the deal with their wings, too? There's some crazy genetic engineering going on somewhere, that's for sho'
Awesomely Shitty

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:58 am

i don't think the pylons are an anatomical feature of the eva's. see shots of simulation bodies. This doesn't however explain why Adam has pylons. Maybe Adam wears inorganic armor as well?

Also, Lilith only looks like Rei after they merge. Lilith's other characteristics changed as well after they merged. before they merge, lilith has all those little human legs sprouting out, and appears to be pregnant, with bulky limbs and torso. After they merge, lilith takes on Rei's slender physique. All of this leads me to think that Lilith herself looks nothing like Rei. Remember, Rei has the soul of lilith, but in a body that shares most of its genetic material with Yui.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:09 am

BrikHaus81 wrote:In EoE we see Lilith jump off the big cross, and then she drops SEELE's mask, and we finally see that her face looks exactly like Rei's.
You may well be the only person who has watched that scene, and amazingly came away with the extraordinary conclusion that her assuming Rei's form somehow indicates that she actually looked like Rei all along. Lilith assumes the form of Rei because the time her soul spent as Rei has molded her into the person "Rei", as opposed to who or what Lilith was before her soul got put into a lilim vessel:
#25 wrote:Rei 2:
I am me.
Because I became who I am through the time I've spent
and the connections I've made with other people.

Rei 3 (OFF):
The current me has been molded through contact with other people.

Rei 2 (OFF):
Contact with people and the passage of time change the shape of my heart.
#26' wrote:Kaworu:
For it is the hearts of people that create their appearance.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:49 am

Shin-seiki wrote:
BrikHaus81 wrote:In EoE we see Lilith jump off the big cross, and then she drops SEELE's mask, and we finally see that her face looks exactly like Rei's.
You may well be the only person who has watched that scene, and amazingly came away with the extraordinary conclusion that her assuming Rei's form somehow indicates that she actually looked like Rei all along.

Hey, there's no need to act like such an ass. Please don't belittle my opinions because they don't fall in line with yours. I doubt I'm the only person to have reached this conclusion. Maybe just the only person on this forum.

Lilith assumes the form of Rei because the time her soul spent as Rei has molded her into the person "Rei", as opposed to who or what Lilith was before her soul got put into a lilim vessel:

So a soul can determine what you look like more than genes, bones, skin, muscle, and all of those sorts of things?

#25 wrote:Rei 2:
I am me.
Because I became who I am through the time I've spent
and the connections I've made with other people.
Rei 3 (OFF):
The current me has been molded through contact with other people.
Rei 2 (OFF):
Contact with people and the passage of time change the shape of my heart.

#26' wrote:Kaworu:
For it is the hearts of people that create their appearance.

When Rei is speaking she means her personality has been molded through contact with other people. It's not like when you interact with other people your physical body actually changes. And when Kaworu is speaking he is probably using the word "appearance" as a metaphor for personality. An "appearance" as how you are perceived by yourself or to others, and probably not a literally changing phenotype.
Awesomely Shitty

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:02 pm

BrikHaus81 wrote:
Shin-seiki wrote:stuff

Hey, there's no need to act like such an ass. Please don't belittle my opinions because they don't fall in line with yours. I doubt I'm the only person to have reached this conclusion. Maybe just the only person on this forum.

I agree with Shin-seiki on this, but you're taking it the wrong way. Hell I always had thought that Gendou showed up while Naoko was choking Rei and so he shot her. It never occured to me that she jumped, even though now it seems like the most obvious thing in the world.

Forgetting the why/if on the physical changes, Consider this proposition true, that underneath the mask Lilith looks exactly like Rei. That would mean that Yui's face and Lilith's face are nearly identical, which would make no sense whatsoever.

Also, what I said earlier about physical changes in Lilith apart from the mask.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:04 pm

@ Reichu: So, uh, since none of the images on that naked Eva thread don't work, do you think you could upload them or at least point to a place they are uploaded (somewhere on your site either the "forgetten" personal one or as an omake on FGC)??

I agree what you said on that theard that you might as well explore the Eva's sexuality, but I have a question about that. In that fic of yours, "Barb" (sangoki) and "Naoko zerogoki" end up falling in love (awww...) Do you also write up Yui-sama as getting into a lesiban realtionship? I'm just curious if that means Yui is considered bisexual in that story or to the Angels/Evas, gender and sexual oriteintion simply isn't a matter either way?

Anyway, at the topic, I personally always thought the "naked Evas" looked somewhat odd, probably because you don't see it a whole lot in the series. I personally like Reichu's version of them, and no I'm not just saying that.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:53 pm

BrikHaus81 wrote:So a soul can determine what you look like more than genes, bones, skin, muscle, and all of those sorts of things?

Uber-beings in NGE have the ability to transmogrify. See e.g. Sandalphon "abandoning human form", as his siblings all do off-screen. We know from their DNA that they are humanoids, but they can use metabiological magic (ATFs + S2 Powah) to reshape themselves into all sorts of bizarre things.

Accordingly, that blobby marshmallow of an uber-human, Lilith, is also able to change her shape after devouring Rei 3 and getting access to an S2. The drastic metamorphosis is easily observed. Incidentally, Giant Naked Rei only looks like the Rei we knew once, right before Shinji goes sploosh. (Disregarding the ghostly complexion and the Kaworu coming out of her back and all.) The rest of the time, GNR looks a little... peculiar.

It's also clear even from the Giant of Light silhouettes that Adam is a lanky Eva-esque humanoid. No resemblance to Kaworu, aside from being, well, humanoid.

The appearances that Lilith and Adam take for the 3I proceedings come from the Lilim vessels that their souls "ended up in" before being restored to their prior bodies. Those Lilim-vessels, in turn, owe their own appearances to Yui and... Kaworu's daddy. Lilith and Adam's Seed-bodies are those of non-mammalian humanoids and a far cry from those of teenage Lilim.

slothen wrote:i don't think the pylons are an anatomical feature of the eva's. see shots of simulation bodies. This doesn't however explain why Adam has pylons. Maybe Adam wears inorganic armor as well?

Ritsuko 'explains' in #19 that the pylons (and other armor too, I guess...) actually act to somehow "restraint" Eva's true power. In #19, the only thing Yui really stood to gain from popping them off was to assimilate Zeruel's organ and make it hers (assuming she couldn't do that without accessing "higher powers" normally kept in check). However, the restraining nature of the pylons is more obvious in EoE, when Sho pops them off and her two Wings of Light (= Visual Manifestations of Powah) instantly reform into four.

The pylons were more-likely-than-not employed solely for restraint purposes in Adam, since there was absolutely no need for the various accessory functions that the Evas' pylons serve.

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Do you also write up Yui-sama as getting into a lesiban realtionship? I'm just curious if that means Yui is considered bisexual in that story or to the Angels/Evas, gender and sexual oriteintion simply isn't a matter either way?

As things last stood, Yui and Zeruel were slated to get together. Despite the fact that (here, anyway) Zeruel is asexual in his transmogrified form. (Well, who ever said a human form once abandoned couldn't ever be reembraced...)

Anyway, at the topic, I personally always thought the "naked Evas" looked somewhat odd, probably because you don't see it a whole lot in the series.

Naked Evas in general, or...?

I personally like Reichu's version of them, and no I'm not just saying that.

Smexy, aren't they? Image

EDITS: Oh, the usual.
Last edited by Reichu on Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:58 pm

oh yeah.. wings. duh. So then when they found Adam, did she already have the pylons or were they placed there as part of the attempt to restrain her? Although honestly I doubt the creaters thought this deeply about it.

MAL Profile

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:02 pm

slothen wrote:So then when they found Adam, did she already have the pylons or were they placed there as part of the attempt to restrain her?

I would postulate heavily towards the latter.

Although honestly I doubt the creaters thought this deeply about it.

If it fits, I don't complain.

The initial storyboards for #12 actually left out the pylons and had shafts for wings instead. I wonder why they changed it.

Crap, speaking of wings, forgot this:

Brik-kun wrote:And what's the deal with [teh harpies'] wings, too? There's some crazy genetic engineering going on somewhere, that's for sho'

The wings are artificial. Look at the way they attach to the Evas' backs.

But crazy genetic engineering, indeed. As I already said, the harpies pulled their heads out of somebody's arse.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”