Fuyutsuki?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Karma Burn
Sachiel
Sachiel

Fuyutsuki?

•      
  •      

Postby Karma Burn » Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:12 am

Does anyone have any thoughts, comments, or insights on Fuyutsuki's character? Did he play a bigger role than what Anno originally lead people to believe?

Frankly, I always liked the old guy.
"Everyone but me has gone fucking nuts. I'm the eye of the goddam storm." - Tycho, Penny Arcade (Or a very irrate Fuyutsuki)

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:51 am

he is supposed to be the voice of reason and sensibility to gendo i think...

mike
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby mike » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:43 am

He's what Kaji would have become if he was bad with women but smart enough not to get himself killed.

Kiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kiel » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:52 am

Kozo Fuyutsuki has always been one of my favorite characters (along with the three techs).

There's just something about Kozo that's cool...

Maybe it's the fact that he's older and wiser,
Maybe it's the fact that he loved Yui as a student and person,
Maybe it's just because he's the man with the CHIN!

Like Bruce Cambell says: If chins could talk...

Hail to the Chin, baby! :lol:
The Amytiville Toaster

Makes Breakfast Spooky!

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:59 am

sadsadshinji wrote:he is supposed to be the voice of reason and sensibility to gendo i think...

I agree with this.

Asuka Langley
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka Langley » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:31 am

mike wrote:He's what Kaji would have become if he was bad with women but smart enough not to get himself killed.

You mean if Kaji had control over his charm? ;)

Anyhow, I did like Fuyutsuki's character.
He was a real contrast to Gendo, at the head of Nerv there.
Gendo seemed almost inhuman with some of his words and ideas.
Whereas, Fuyutsuki seemed like a very genuine, and considerate human being.

I found it ironic that he wound up at the top of Nerv together, no less.
Not having seen the anime for far too long, I'm not sure if something like this was said...
But in the manga Yui mentions that;
"It would be wonderful if someone like you could understand Gendo... could be by his side."
To which Fuyutsuki replies;
"I'm sorry. I'm not that man."

And look at where he ended up anyways. :|
It seemed like a very kind gesture that he did in favor of Yui tho. I thought I could respect that.
We'll see whachu' got.

http://xrl.us/ccnh

Karma Burn
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Karma Burn » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:41 am

Hail to the Chin, baby!

Hell yeah! (As I've said in the Live-Action Forum Campbell would make a great Fuyutsuki)

Fuyutsuki stuck to me because he seemed to be the only normal person there. Like Langley put it, Fuytsuki was just a genuine good soul. If I remember correctly he forced into become the Vice Commander of NERV, wasn't he?
"Everyone but me has gone fucking nuts. I'm the eye of the goddam storm." - Tycho, Penny Arcade (Or a very irrate Fuyutsuki)

Esion
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Esion » Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:25 pm

Karma Burn wrote:

Hail to the Chin, baby!

Hell yeah! (As I've said in the Live-Action Forum Campbell would make a great Fuyutsuki)

Fear the Chin.

I agree with what the rest of you have said. Fuyutsuki seems to be one of the most realistic characters in the series. He is the pillar of balance in the very surreal environment of NG:Eva.
Yea and God said to Abraham, "You will kill your son Issac." And Abraham said, "I can't hear you, you'll have to speak into the microphone." And God said, "Oh I'm sorry, Is this better? Check, check, check... Jerry, pull the high end out, I'm still getting some hiss back here."

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:11 pm

I just like his character for some darn reason...

Crazyman42
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Crazyman42 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:09 pm

He's character is the only one that everyone can relate to in Evangelion. All the other characters are hard to relate too. One of the amazing things about Evangelion is that it has such a large Fan base. Most of the characters are hard to relate to.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:02 pm

One thing people need to realize is that Fuyutsuki was trying to bring Seele and Nerv (then Gehirn) down. But then he learned the truth, and quickly joined with Gendo. I think that very fact shows that Gendo and Nerv have more honorable intentions than many realize.

Karma Burn
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Karma Burn » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:24 pm

I thought that Fuyutsuki was forced to join NERV because they would have killed. But it's been awhile since I've seen the series so I'll go with you on this one Eva Monkey.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:27 pm

I always though he'd turn on gendo at some point. Glad I was wrong though cuz that last Rei/gendo sceen in EoE was price less.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Asterix
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Asterix » Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:58 am

He's also one of the few (if not only) characters in NERV that was there from the start without intending to be. Gendo was trying to get Yui back after the activation bundoggle, and Ritsuko's mom was there for the science part of it. But Fuyutsuki didn't have any intention of joining at the start - he was planning on reporting Ikari for the whole thing, before he even knew anything about the project.

So yeah, he's the voice of reason for Gendo (and practically his conscious, in a way), but he's also sort of an insider-outsider, I guess - he's there working on it now, but when it comes down to it, what personal interest does he have in NERV itself? Misato wants revenge, Ritsuko wants to pick up her mom's work, and Gendo wants Yui. But Fuyutsuki doesn't seem to have a real personal connection to the whole system, other than maybe that it's the project that 'ate' (metaphorically and, in a way, literally) one of his favorite former students.
"why is it when an eva gets free will, the first thing it does is eat its own?"
"...tastes like chicken?"

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:03 am

And I doubt its because he wanted to be near Yui. Afterall, when he saw her for the first time in years, he walked right past her, barely spoke to her, and didn't look her in the eye. He wanted to avoid her at that point, so I doubt he stayed around just to be near her.

I think Fuyutsuki is one of the only characters in the show without an ulterior motive.

Asterix
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Asterix » Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:22 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:And I doubt its because he wanted to be near Yui. Afterall, when he saw her for the first time in years, he walked right past her, barely spoke to her, and didn't look her in the eye. He wanted to avoid her at that point, so I doubt he stayed around just to be near her.

If that's true, could that be possibly because for the first time he saw Yui and Gendo together? That could have possibly disgusted him a bit, despite already knowing about it, since at that point his opinion of Gendo still wasn't all that high.

Unless I screwed my timeline up there, it's been a while since I last saw that ep...
"why is it when an eva gets free will, the first thing it does is eat its own?"
"...tastes like chicken?"

mike
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby mike » Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:27 pm

Well, at the time Fuyutsuki thought Gendo was directly responsible for Second Impact and embezzlement of UN funds. He probably thought Yui was in on it as well, so he probably didn't think too much of her either at that point.

I do think Fuyutsuki partially stayed because of Yui, she was after all the last thing he saw in EoE, yet it's not a driving obsession like Gendo's. After Yui's death he actually tells Ikari to snap out of his grief and continue with the E Project.

Besides, if he quit NERV, Seele would have had him killed instantly because he knew too much.

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:53 pm

maybe he is just so normal...kind of..
its kinda sad how he likes yui and can never have her...Rei must be a torment for him...

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:51 pm

Gendo and Fuyutsuki, the two coolest characters in all of anime.

It was the scene in EoE, the conversation between him and Yui where I really recognized him as an appealing character.

I asked this before, but does anyone who can read Kanji tell me what his name means?
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:05 pm

Phaze wrote:I asked this before, but does anyone who can read Kanji tell me what his name means?

"Winter Moon". Or "Winter Month", but that's not as poetic.

I think that Gendou's intentions were, from the beginning, to prevent Seele from turning all of humanity into a "giant hive mind" (as a friend of mine has colorfully put it). This was Yui's intent, as well. In Yui's case, however, Seele caught wind of what she was doing and put her on the blacklist, which lead her to do the only thing she really could -- put herself into EVA-01, a non-expendable part of Seele's plan.

Of course, Yui's change of body created a change of plan for Gendou -- he wanted to control Instrumentality and use the body of EVA-01 as an Ark, to which the souls of humanity would have gone instead of to the Black Moon. Before it was over, though, he would have "pulled the plug" and kicked everyone out except himself and his beloved. Presumably, his intent to prevent the complementation of humanity would have remained intact -- although he would make everyone go through a lot of crap to achieve his own ends.

I don't know how much Fuyutsuki respected Gendou's whole plan to reunite with Yui, but he seemed to put up with it, because it did not involve the end of individuality that Seele was after. In the beginning, I suspect Yui and Gendou's goals were the same, and, as Fuyutsuki says to Yui in episode #21, "I support your intentions, not Seele's."
Last edited by Reichu on Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”