Shinji a Misogynist?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

Re: Shinji a Misogynist?

Postby jcmoorehead » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:28 am

I'd like to think that Kensuke probably does change over the course of time and realizes that him doing that was wrong. The funny thing is for me that's not even the worst thing Kensuke does during the course of the series, him having a go at Shinji when Shinji tries to leave the second time strikes me as really bad. Kensuke basically guilt tripping Shinji and not even making an attempt to understand why Shinji might be upset/leaving at that point.

As for the topic, definitely not. I think it's another case where people are looking a bit too deeply when there is no need to. Shinji has difficulty with people, all the cast do but it doesn't make him a misogynist.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:52 am

How is he supposed to know when nobody tells him anything? From Kensuke's perspective Shinji is just turning his back on everyone without the slightest consideration, willfully throwing away their friendship and abandoning his job as the city's protector from unfathomable destruction.

But yeah, that photo business is skeevy as hell.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

Postby jcmoorehead » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:03 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:How is he supposed to know when nobody tells him anything? From Kensuke's perspective Shinji is just turning his back on everyone without the slightest consideration, willfully throwing away their friendship and abandoning his job as the city's protector from unfathomable destruction.

That is true, I hadn't properly considered that Kensuke might not know anything about what has happened. I kinda went in under the assumption that Kensuke at least knew that Touji was put into Unit 03 and Shinji was forced to fight him.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:15 am

Kensuke manages to hack a fair amount of info, but not everything; this makes it hard to know just what he does or does not know unless the show tells us.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:46 am

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:Agreed on basically all counts, except Kensuke. I mean sure, the picture-taking was pretty skeevy but at the end of the day, he IS still 14. Everyone does shitty things when they're 14, and one slightly tasteless activity during adolescence shouldn't damn one forever (especially not when the whole sequence took place during the silliest part of the Action Arc and was almost certainly played exclusively for laughs). Pervert? Probably (but again, horny teenager). Woman hater/horrible person? No.

It's not "slightly tasteless activity," it's a criminal act that would get him jail time in the real world. Doesn't make him a misogynist, but it's hardly "no big deal".
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:16 am

I remember the skeevy screenshot thing being played for laughs in Ranma 1/2 as well, wherein Nabiki Tendo sold photos of her houseguest Ranma's female form to lovestruck Kuno-sempai. Not unlike in Eva, the one taking the photos views the act through a cold money-making lens, and the joke is on those buying such perverse goods. I wonder what the go-to social commentary regarding this trope is in Japan.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:38 am

...in both his forms, to any and all suitors. And her sister, on both sides of the transaction. Probably everyone in town of any market value, really. The photos were generally not on the same level of skeevy though, just casual shots around the house and town, nothing anyone in Nerima hasn't seen on a regular basis considering Ranma's typical life. And let's face it, it's not like Ranma had any qualms whatsoever using his curse to an advantage in any situation, including blatantly objectifying himself.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:35 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:It's not "slightly tasteless activity," it's a criminal act that would get him jail time in the real world. Doesn't make him a misogynist, but it's hardly "no big deal".

I think you are taking a one-off gag from the silliest part of an already silly arc just a little bit too seriously, Bags. This isn't some momentous point in the series with wide-reaching ramifications, it's a throwaway joke in a whole arc of throwaway jokes.

And again. Horny 14 year old boy. Everyone does inappropriate things when they're fourteen. Including you, I'm sure.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:12 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:I think you are taking a one-off gag from the silliest part of an already silly arc just a little bit too seriously, Bags.

How the show treats it has no bearing on whether or not it's a "slightly tasteless activity". I'm taking issue with your characterization of what Kensuke did, not the show's treatment of the matter. As a point of comparison, we see Asuka kick Shinji in the face multiple times in episode 11. As with the pictures it was clearly played for laughs, but I think we can all agree that kicking people in the face is a big deal in real life. The fact the show treats this as slapstick doesn't change that, and the same is true for the pictures.

And yes, kids do stupid things, but when those stupid things are crimes they're held accountable. Some stupidity is far worse than others, as those shitheads in Chicago are learning right now.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:19 pm

The show's overarching story concerns a shadow world government comprised of 12 people manipulating events and staging the death of half the population in order to fund the development of superweapons designed ultimately to murder all of mankind, and you're worried about how a teenager in it took some peeping tom photographs and how that's illegal.

Top kek m8. :asuka_thumbsup:
(Also what the flying fuck do the events in Chicago have to do with Evangelion?)
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:24 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:The show's overarching story concerns a shadow world government comprised of 12 people manipulating events and staging the death of half the population in order to fund the development of superweapons designed ultimately to murder all of mankind, and you're worried about how a teenager in it took some peeping tom photographs and how that's illegal.

Hey, you're worried about whether or not the protag is a misogynist, so who are you to criticize?

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:36 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Hey, you're worried about whether or not the protag is a misogynist, so who are you to criticize?

Worried? No. Baffled as to who the fuck has the time, effort and inclination to seriously draw up a theory as to why a fictional character is a "misogynist" (despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary)? Yeah, sure, why not. It's pretty pathetic, really. Not unlike, you know, comparing a fictional character taking skeevy photos to kidnapping and torturing an innocent man for his political views. :facepalm:
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:39 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:Worried? No. Baffled as to who the fuck has the time, effort and inclination to seriously draw up a theory as to why a fictional character is a "misogynist" (despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary)? Yeah, sure, why not. It's pretty pathetic, really. Not unlike, you know, comparing a fictional character taking skeevy photos to kidnapping and torturing an innocent man for his political views. :facepalm:

You're being a hypocrite, dude.

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:49 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:You're being a hypocrite, dude.

The sheer irony of this post coming from YOU of all people is just classic.

But please, continue to lecture me, you big strong policeman.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:24 pm

Temp-locking to curb back-and-forth and allow staff evaluation.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”