Episode 21 Second Impact dialogues

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Mbryo
Adam

Episode 21 Second Impact dialogues

•      
  •      

Postby Mbryo » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:17 am

I've been reading through the wiki pages on how "CI doesn't reconcile with the show", and I'm curious, how many 'overlapped' dialogues are there in the opening of episode 21? There seems to be multiple dialogues going on during the fake documentary-style recording of Second Impact, but the subs I can find only seems to translate the most discernable dialogue.

According to the wiki, there seems to be a dialogue mentioning "Adam's S2 Engine linking with an 'Explosive System'", but I can't find mention of such a dialogue anywhere else on the internet. Can somebody confirm if this was actually said?
FUS roh Duh.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Re: Episode 21 Second Impact dialogues

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:08 am

View Original PostMbryo wrote:According to the wiki, there seems to be a dialogue mentioning "Adam's S2 Engine linking with an 'Explosive System'", but I can't find mention of such a dialogue anywhere else on the internet. Can somebody confirm if this was actually said?

It was, yes. I believe this is in the platinum subs, and it's been confirmed by several of our Japanese speakers as well. It's still not clear why Adam's S2 linked up with the 'Explosive System', nor even why Adam had an 'Explosive System', but that does appear to be what was said.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:54 am

Maybe the research team had outfitted Adam with a self-destruct or explosive bolts like the Evas have as a failsafe, and Adam integrated them somehow when it awakened?
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:43 pm

Sachiel was able to intentionally self-destruct, and a few other Angels explode when their cores are destroyed. The term that the Katsuragi Team use may simply be referring to this intrinsic capacity. They make it sound like something mechanical, but the same holds for "S2 Engine" itself, which we know is completely organic.

There used to be a full breakdown of the episode 21' dialogues on the evacommentary site, but I guess that's gone and only exists somewhere in my backups now?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:18 pm

I could host it if you still have it.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:14 am

Found it. Sent Monk the files, but here's the dialogue any which way. You get to sort out the disparate conversations on your own, though.

SPOILER: Show
C305

Year 2000
The Continent of Antarctica

C306

REC
AUG 15 2000 09:31:06 ~ 09:31:53

The inside of a research facility. There is a basic table placed in a corner.
SE <<Ventilation and construction work noise>>
Man A "You mean the Super Solenoid Theory that Dr. Katsuragi proposed?"
Old Man B "It's just too far-fetched!"
Old Man C "And it's still in the hypothetical stage."
Man A "But only the S2 Theory can explain the motive energy of that giant."
Woman A "I heard that Ikari-san and his party are leaving on the 11th of next month."
Man D "We already have actual proof, however unintentionally."
Man E "I wish they'd locate the smoking corner a bit closer."
Woman A "There was talk about making the entire facility non-smoking, so just be happy with what you've got."
Old Man E "The fact that it exists means that it must be accepted."
Man E "I'd have to leave here if that happened. I can't work without my cigarettes."
Old Man B "I'll accept it when, and only when, all of the data's been verified."
Keel "'Scientists'... They put too much faith in their own ideas."
Woman A "It's cold, the food is bad -- this place really is at the end of the world."
Old Man C "What about the Spear of Longinus?"
Ikari "Is it self-righteousness?"
Man A "It's still where it was brought ashore after arriving from the Dead Sea last week."
Man E "Today is A Lunch again?"
Keel "So caught up in their dogma, they lose their grip on reality."
Woman A "Damn, I could kill for some Osaka sushi!"
Old Man B "Isn't some processing necessary before it's taken underground? Will it be okay?"
Man E "No way! Put me in for some Kyushu ramen!"
Ikari "Yet they are the ones who are searching for the truth. How ironic."
Man E "The contact experiment with the donor is scheduled for the 13th of next month. There will be time for any adjustments."
Woman A "Japan is just so small. Once you've seen it, it's all the same."
Keel "They are not so noble. Discovery is joy, and understanding leads to control. All they seek is their own exaltation."
Man E "That's right, your country's a lot bigger than ours!"
Old Man C "Today's experiment was on the ego threshold of that field, wasn't it?"
Man D "Yes."

C307

00:23:47:02 ~ 00:23:56:14

Several pipes in front. Iron plates outside flap about wildly.
Female Announcer (right) "State of emergency, state of emergency. All personnel, put on your protective gear. All workers in Level 2 and below, immediately evacuate to the upper area of Central Dogma."
There is a white light outside.
Man F (left) "Stop the surface luminescence! It's surpassing calculated predictions!"
Woman B (left) "The genes that dived into Adam have already undergone physical fusion!"
The camera is shaken. Heavy noise.
Woman C (left · radio) "All A.T. Fields are being released!"
A board goes flying.

C308

REC
00:33:22:29 ~ 00:33:26:16

Illuminated scene.
Old Man G (left) "The Spear! Pull the Spear back!"
A hand railing in front. The camera filming it is shaken, producing noise.
Man H (left · speakers) "It's no good! We can't maintain the magnetic field!"
Man I (right) "It's sinking in!"

C309A

With noise and flickering, the camera drops and switches over to a steel tower.
Man K (right) "The atomic components are breaking up at the quark level! Hurry!"
Woman D "Begin thermal dampening treatment as soon as the Doors of Guf open."
Blasts of hot wind pull upwards against it. The image is jumbled.
Man L "Incredible... It started walking."
Man M (left · radio) "Walking also confirmed on the surface!"
Man N (right) "Even if it's only for point one seconds, get it to use up as much of its Anti A.T. Field energy as possible!"
Woman E (left · radio) "The conversion system has already been set!"
Woman F (right · speakers) "Countdown is underway!"
Man O (left · radio) "The S2 Engine and the detonator are being linked! We can't stop it!"
Man P (left) "The wings are spreading! It's going to surface!"
Then, deeper in, two glowing hands enter.

C309B

The picture cuts off. The symbol of the United Nations and a warning appear.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

cody727kirby
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby cody727kirby » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:41 pm

Finished polishing up a Sources Page for an old YouTube video I did years ago, and in it, I attempted to piece together what exactly happened during Second Impact with all sources available, including Classified Information. Any feedback is welcome ^_^

[14] "Adam, the First Angel — and the cause of Second Impact — was discovered by the Katsuragi Research Team at the South Pole. It was courtesy of Seele's funding that the Katsuragi Team discovered the White Moon, which contained Adam and the Spear of Longinus." (Classified Information, Hideaki Anno)
"The contact experiment with the donor is scheduled for the 13th of next month. (Katsuragi Team member, Episode 21)
"The DNA that dove into Adam is already physically fused!" (Katsuragi Team member, as Adam awakens and begins Second Impact, Episode 21)
"The other Seed of Life, Adam, was awakened by mankind. The Katsuragi Investigation Team frantically attempted to reseal Adam using the Spear of Longinus, but failed. This is called the Second Impact." (Classified Information, Hideaki Anno)
Crew Member: “The Lance! Pull the Lance back!”
Crew Member: “It's no good! We can't maintain the magnetic field!”
Crew Member: “It's sinking in!”
[Adam begins to walk]
Crew Member: “Get Adam itself to squeeze out the energy that can interfere with its Anti A.T. Field!” (*)
Crew Member: "The conversion system has already been set!"
Crew Member: “The S2 Engine and the detonator are being linked!”
(Episode 21, After failing to reseal Adam with the Spear, and accidentally helping Adam to create its Anti A.T. Field when the Spear sinks in [see source 37b below], the team used their “conversion system” to overdrive Adam’s S2 engine’s power and interfere with its Anti A.T. Field, exploding Adam into an embryo. [Similar S2 overdrive explosions in the series: Various Angel self-destructions, and Unit 04’s destruction (installing S2 engine failed, Episode 17)]
“Ultimately, through the phenomenon of the S2 engine apparently going into overdrive by artificial means... [Second Impact] blew Adam completely apart” (Classified Information, Hideaki Anno)

[37b] NOTE: The Spear of Longinus can be a tool towards Instrumentality, rather than a security “locking” device, but only during an Impact (joining of Adam/Lilith). This happens in Third Impact with Shinji/Unit 01, but also in Second Impact with Adam (See Second Impact quotes below)
“The Katsuragi Investigation Team frantically attempted to reseal Adam using the Spear of Longinus, but failed.” (Classified Information, Hideaki Anno)
Crew Member: “The Lance! Pull the Lance back!”
Crew Member: “It's no good! We can't maintain the magnetic field!”
Crew Member: “It's sinking in!”
[Adam begins to walk]
Crew Member: “Get Adam itself to squeeze out the energy that can interfere with its Anti A.T. Field!” (*)
(Episode 21, implying that they had tried to impale/subdue Adam with the Spear after it awakened with Lilith’s DNA, but the Spear instead sank into Adam, and became a tool to actually help Adam create its Anti A.T. Field, just like it did for Shinji/Unit 01 in End of Evangelion)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-kuHQ ... sp=sharing
(End of Evangelion, The Spear becomes a tool towards Instrumentality for Shinji/Unit 01)

(*) Fixed mistranslation in “Crew Member” quote, regarding the reason for Adam’s explosion during Second Impact:
https://forum.evageeks.org/post/515450/ ... es/#515450

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:20 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Sachiel was able to intentionally self-destruct, and a few other Angels explode when their cores are destroyed. The term that the Katsuragi Team use may simply be referring to this intrinsic capacity. They make it sound like something mechanical, but the same holds for "S2 Engine" itself, which we know is completely organic.

Truly a wretched design flaw that Adam shouldn't have passed on to his offspring! :lol:
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Iuvenal
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Iuvenal » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:48 pm

SCENE: Two FAR are having drinks at a DIVE BAR.

FAR BOB: So Jim, we're putting the finishing touches on these seed things before we goop our souls and shove 'em in there. Anything notable R&D has added before the big kool-aid party?

FAR JIM: In fact we did, Bob. We added the ability for it to blow itself up.

FAR BOB: Uh, Jim, I don't quite see the point of that.

FAR JIM: Trust me Bob, it will come in handy if it runs into another seed and the two have to duke it out over control of the planet.

FAR BOB: What?! Why would that happen? And in any case, wouldn't it be way better in the extremely unlikely event that two seeds run into each other for one to go to another planet rather than kill off one seventh of our species in a brawl? What else haven't you told me?

FAR JIM: The explosion is shaped like a giant cross.

FAR BOB: Why?

FAR JIM: Because shut up, that's why!

Exeunt FAR.
Pkunk's not dead! Shake yer Rootz!

I carved A +S forever into my left buttock with a pocket knife. My right buttock is dominated by a tattoo of James Brown. - Chuckman

Who did 9/11? The FAR. - Reichu

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:35 pm

View Original Postcody727kirby wrote:Crew Member: “Get Adam itself to squeeze out the energy that can interfere with its Anti A.T. Field!” (*)

This is very different from existing translations, and following the link you provide I find I am mind = blown, even though I am the very next person to post in that thread after the post you've linked. I don't remember reading that in-depth analysis of that translation at all! Seems I got distracted by something else...
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”