Anno's answer to Who's more attractive: Rei or Asuka?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:47 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Rei's origins only increase her pathos. She's a thing, someone grew her in a lab. She was raised by the aloof and childish Gendo and the cruel Ritsuko who taught her to believe that she has absolutely no value.

Gendo is cold and aloof, but he's hardly childish. And Ritsuko isn't cruel either. Oh, and who is to say that Gendo and Ritsuko raised her? Gendo is the only one who's seen around her and it's possible that he and Fuyutsuki had other scientists or caretakers around Rei. With Rei's soul split apart, is it any wonder that Rei has so any issues? And with the only person she actually seems to be happy around is a man who doesn't value his own existence, is it any wonder that Rei doesn't value hers as well? (She values Gendo's, though, and actually smiles when he's around)

She lives in a partially demolished, filthy apartment because no one ever taught her to place any value in her own existence. It's terribly sad.

That apartment always makes me wonder...was it her choice to live there, or had Gendo sent her there? What would they get by letting Rei stay in a place like that?
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Ari
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ari » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:51 am

I can really relate to Rei, I'm a test tube baby. Lol! ;) :lol:

evanescenteõndine
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby evanescenteõndine » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:33 pm

Clearly the issue of Rei's room hasn't been answered by the show or the movie or the manga.
Gendo in the anime, obviously care enough for her to not let her live in that messed up room.
So I see this as a plot hole, though less important than others. Because Anno couldn't relate more to her(which is somewhat logical : he is not a girl, and Rei clearly represents the Female Eternal(Eternel Féminin in french), something like the Lady of the Lake in the Arthurian cycle. You can not reach out to her in a conventional romantic or sexual way, she's outside the natural cycle of womanhood(she can't bear children), just like she was to stay a child. Just like roman vestals(though forbidden to men, female lovers weren't as far as I've read).
You just have to read the drafts of the Ep with kawory and the interviews in JUNE of Anno about it, to see that Anno is either a young boy lover, or a half repressed one. No moral judgement.
I think Anno couldn't develop Rei more nor relate to her more, because he wouldn't be able to truly love her that much. Rei is the natural counterpart of Kaworu.
Embodied pure absolute love. To say she is "maternal love" is too simplistic to me, as eventhough she is the Mother of All, she is also the "woman that does not bleed".
I have two ideas : 1) the fact the room is so messed up, means that Rei isn't an ordinary character,
with a biography and the like . Proof : we have none on her. Of her upbringing, and so on.
Rei embodies a principle, an ideal, and in fact she is kind a goddess, isn't she ?
Kaworu too is an ideal, and in general Angels are, I'll post on the possible meaning of the names later.
The hell, some ideas of the drafts were so much clear about the true conceptions of Anno and boy's love. Goddamn homophobia.
2) the room of Rei symbolizes the unconscious : That ideal, the "Eternelle Féminin", is a really messed up and misunderstood one in our current culture. Roman were still living with it, same of Middle Age men, but now ... what the use of such an ideal in a world where it isn't rare for a woman to value her worth to the number of men she can be fucked by ? the Lady of the Lake can just go kill herself.

Well, it's not fanwanking because I believe Anno didn't want such a meaning, at least not in the entirety, and not that precisely. Inspiration simply doesn't work that way... Its creation overstepped him. C.G.Young would say these creations take part and tape into the collective uncouscious, and that the worth of the symbol is always greater than the actual understanding you have of it.
Evangelion is a modern legend, Anno is a modern Homer !
I wait your lovely(or not so ?) answer, this is my first serious post(don't worry I'll keep on Rei here).
Back to plain old NGE.
Death to the FAR stuff.
Let's rehabilitate Gendo
and ... death Yui's detractors !!

Mr. Jive
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Jive » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:38 pm

Anno once said he could relate to Asuka and Misato. So saying he can't relate to her being a female is a weak excuse. Rei is more human then most characters in eva, including the monster that created her and the monster him and his wife give birth to as well. Rei VA say it best about her when she say Rei has emotions she just don't understand them. Yet there are times when she shows them. Moment of truth is in episode 18 when the monster order her to take out the angle but it would also mean killing toji who is a innercent man so she didn't carry out the order. Which proves she values other lives more then half the cast of eva.

In eoe she try to get both her former eva pilots to see if they don't start making changes in their lives, they gonna end up just like the adults who are unhappy, lonely and dead. Shinj didn't get this due to being ignorant brat that cares for nobody and want everyone to die due to own unhappiness. Asuka does seem to get it. Which is why when she told shinj sorry ass off for being a loser she bought up how he runs away from people and Rei was one of them. Funny how the girls didn't get along yet both girls come to a understanding of one another. Both girls see Shinji for the monster that he is and rejected him like any smart person would. Nobody wants to be whit someone who don't have love in their heart. The only characters who seem to have love in their hearts in eva are Rei, toji, kensuke and Asuka, although her love is for herself, none, the less it's love.

Anno cames off as a guy who like to make up crap just to cover his own ass. He will never admit he did a poor job of Rei character cause he want people to think all went the way he wanted it to go. The fact the manga did a much better job then he did in the anime and movies proves he just full of it.
Kensuke not a saint but at least he's not a psycho jerking off to a girl in a comma.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:29 pm

View Original PostMr. Jive wrote:it would also mean killing toji who is a innercent man so she didn't carry out the order. Which proves she values other lives more then half the cast of eva.

Aside, for example, from Shinji (whom you're describing as a monster) who did just the same moments after.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:33 pm

View Original PostMr. Jive wrote:Asuka, although her love is for herself, none, the less it's love.

I wouldn't call vanity love, it's just vanity. And more to the point, Asuka doesn't love herself: she HATES herself. She makes it pretty clear she thinks very little of her place in the world, which is why she builds herself up so much. She is desperately trying to make herself noticed, to be important, to matter in the world. It's because she thinks she matters so little, so she's forcing herself on the world in an effort to rectify the problem.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:16 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:I wouldn't call vanity love, it's just vanity. And more to the point, Asuka doesn't love herself: she HATES herself. She makes it pretty clear she thinks very little of her place in the world, which is why she builds herself up so much. She is desperately trying to make herself noticed, to be important, to matter in the world. It's because she thinks she matters so little, so she's forcing herself on the world in an effort to rectify the problem.

Ayup. Asuka's treatment at the hands of Nerv is pretty fucking awful, and she does everything in her power to fight it. Unfortunately her power is limited, and the results are as might be expected when a teenaged girl is treated like a disposable asset.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:16 pm

View Original PostShoujo Kakumei Asuka wrote:Why can't a person have creepy origins and still be popular? For that matter, why do they have to have sexual appeal to be popular?

Seems a bit oversimplified. Vampire Hunter D, Guts, half of all shounen protags have what you could call "creepy" origins, and they're popular enough.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Drabant
Banned

Re:

•      
  •      

Postby Drabant » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:27 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:Seems a bit oversimplified. Vampire Hunter D, Guts, half of all shounen protags have what you could call "creepy" origins, and they're popular enough.

Because it actually is oversimplified, and the proof is right in front of us. Having creepy origins or a creepy nature is no real deterrent for a character's popularity and may even be a boon, and a well-written character like Rei (and the rest of the cast for that matter) makes use of that. Your examples, and more close to home, Evangelion's example of Rei are proof.

Hence such things are only ever brought up as a negative to fashion a poor and slanderous image of a character, and is in practice no different from an insult. It's to make a gross caricature with no real merit but to debase and degrade, a sort of dishonesty which brings us back to Anno's statements in this interview.

Very clearly, the source of Anno's often dismissive remarks regarding his own creation stems from his own favoritism rather than any insightful much less correct observation, something the self-contradicting and responsibility-denying statement in this interview also shows.

One wonders if he isn't being subtly called out by the person asking the question.

Bagheera wrote:Ayup. Asuka's treatment at the hands of Nerv is pretty fucking awful, and she does everything in her power to fight it. Unfortunately her power is limited, and the results are as might be expected when a teenaged girl is treated like a disposable asset.

Asuka's treatment at the hand of NERV is very easy to criticize, as is it for the other children in perhaps more obvious ways. However, the character of Asuka does not at all seem to fight it, and it's not as much her limited power but the character's delusional mindset that actually makes her insist on staying.
She is engrossed in the fantasy world where she's the greatest ace pilot with a near divine right to be so, and anything that would betray that fantasy is quickly rejected, and that includes fighting NERV.

When Shinji casts doubt on their role as pilots and their righteousness in the fight against the Angels, is promptly dismissed by Asuka as nonsense, she counters a good point with anti-intellectualism. Likewise, when Rei's proposed view in the elevator challenges the comfortable idea Asuka has of things, she responds by lashing out and making insults and accusations.

If anything, she continues to fight for her continued mistreatment rather than against it, and in the end she is unable to free herself from her strings.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Re: Re:

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:40 pm

View Original PostDrabant wrote:
Asuka's treatment at the hand of NERV is very easy to criticize, as is it for the other children in perhaps more obvious ways. However, the character of Asuka does not at all seem to fight it, and it's not as much her limited power but the character's delusional mindset that actually makes her insist on staying.
She is engrossed in the fantasy world where she's the greatest ace pilot with a near divine right to be so, and anything that would betray that fantasy is quickly rejected, and that includes fighting NERV.

When Shinji casts doubt on their role as pilots and their righteousness in the fight against the Angels, is promptly dismissed by Asuka as nonsense, she counters a good point with anti-intellectualism. Likewise, when Rei's proposed view in the elevator challenges the comfortable idea Asuka has of things, she responds by lashing out and making insults and accusations.

If anything, she continues to fight for her continued mistreatment rather than against it, and in the end she is unable to free herself from her strings.

This; Ovsly child soldiers are always inherently problematic and obviously Asuka was a relentless example of how the organization works their tools until they break, but ultimately the emphasis is somewhere else, mostly her own complex of tying self-worth to archievement and image and ultimately, the inner division that sometimes comes from your parents splitting up - Even more, her plot with the organization is ultimately subsidiary to that insignificance comples , the narrative has her crushed in the cogwheels of the uncaring system because that's a nightmare for someone like her.
(What Gob said is obviously also true)

But that aside, I think that this Anno transcript has been widely misunderstood. It's not, "Oh, that character is BS and you shouldn't like her", but, it's all artist speak and more among the lines of, "That character comes from a weird subcionscious, disconnected place and my relationship with writing her is weird", (He does cal it the "purest, most core" part of himself and in EoE proper she's identified with hope, so there's way more ambiguity there than "obvious schmuck bait" ) he further elaborated on this in one of the rebuild interviews saying that "When it comes to Rei I'm unconscious"/ That she practically writes herself ("Poka Poka" was supposedly her own idea ^^°)

So that his reaction to the reaction to this character would be influenced by his weird relationship with the part of himself she comes from, well, that's not necessarily indicative of ingratitude. If he started relating to his creations like an outsider does it wouldn't be genuine anymore.

Rei is just a slightly stilyzed good metaphor for certain personality types and issues & ways one can feel, it's not common for a silent, neglected, not socially gifted teen to feel like they're false and empty, or "different" from anyone else/ out of place, and obsly a metaphorical representation of that is making her a literal artificial space alien. It's not any more or less metaphorical or relatable as the over the top gruesome death of Asuka's mother as a standing for an experience of "You have no value on your own", and Shinji and Gendo as different parts of the creator's ego with a charge of real or perceived rejection between them.

Also, as for Rebuild, it's the same story told in different ways with different emphases/methods, while exploring things Anno was interested in at the time (Like the whole food thing (and Shinji's experience with field work, too) standing in for a person very disconnected from their body instincts and physicality appreciating some physical things/ sensoric pleasures) I don't think Q invalidates her at all because the difference between genuinely devoted, well-read, dreaming, thinking Rei and someone who's devoid of all that but still has all the "clone" attributes is much stressed. ReiQ is, at first, all like "I will read the books if I'm ordered to"/ "do everything you say & fake interest" and Shinji's reaction is, "Well fuck, the person I made friends with is not here."

Obsly then ReiQ goes the way of developement very late in the movie because it's more interesting than keeping her the way she was.

As for Rei's appeal, I concurr with her Va more or less, the beauty is that she still has humanity, in all its forms (caring, search for meaning etc) despite all that's been done to her also that, however briefly, she and Shinji were able to exchange some genuine warmth despite both their limitations. She and Kaworu weren't there for long, but, they played large roles in convincing Shinji - just barely - that good things are possible in thissometimes difficult world.

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:
That apartment always makes me wonder...was it her choice to live there, or had Gendo sent her there? What would they get by letting Rei stay in a place like that?

I'd say it was likely a mixture of both - Gendo left her to her own devices once he deemed her self-suficient, and Rei tried to replicate her lab of origin (As Ritsuko theorized)
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:48 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:I'd say it was likely a mixture of both - Gendo left her to her own devices once he deemed her self-suficient, and Rei tried to replicate her lab of origin (As Ritsuko theorized)

It never even occurred to me that Rei might have chosen her home! :lol:
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Drabant
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Drabant » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:15 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:But that aside, I think that this Anno transcript has been widely misunderstood. It's not, "Oh, that character is BS and you shouldn't like her", .....

It's clearly not misunderstood. There is zero reason to say such a thing without intending to have that exact effect. It's not "artist speak" or a misunderstood line, it's a contextually uncalled for remark that is guaranteed to be interpreted in a certain way - the same way it has been interpreted worldwide.

It's not the first or the last time it has happened - everyone's heard of the time he attended a convention in the US, where he uses the chance to add in a derogatory comment about Rei and the fans of Rei.

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Also, as for Rebuild, it's the same story told in different ways with different emphases/methods, while exploring things Anno was interested in at the time (Like the whole food thing (and Shinji's experience with field work, too) standing in for a person very disconnected from their body instincts and physicality appreciating some physical things/ sensoric pleasures) I don't think Q invalidates her at all because the difference between genuinely devoted, well-read, dreaming, thinking Rei and someone who's devoid of all that but still has all the "clone" attributes is much stressed. ReiQ is, at first, all like "I will read the books if I'm ordered to"/ "do everything you say & fake interest" and Shinji's reaction is, "Well fuck, the person I made friends with is not here."

Obsly then ReiQ goes the way of developement very late in the movie because it's more interesting than keeping her the way she was.

Rebuild's Rei Q is a non-character whose existence is solely based on the notion that she's an inferior to what one thinks of as Rei. Rei Q's "development" or lack thereof, only serves to point out that she's a puppet. In a more practical manner, introducing Rei Q has crippled Rei's character in Rebuild to the point that there is no reason to continue it at all. One can't afford losing out on a whole movie timewise, nor invalidating previous development. Rei Q is without any shadow a doubt a form of castration.

I'm fairly sure Anno wrote this or was aware that it was being written, and I take the fact that he left the situation in Rebuild out of his answer here to be proof that he's taking his chance with Rebuild to change who's popular and who's not. After all, I haven't heard him complain about anyone elses popularity in any setting whatsoever.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Re: Anno's answer to Who's more attractive: Rei or Asuka?

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue May 31, 2016 4:36 am

That's your interpretation, not a fact or direct statement, tho.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue May 31, 2016 6:33 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:That's your interpretation, not a fact or direct statement, tho.

The direct statement was that Rei was appealing during the show's original run due to her mystery, and that she's less so now due to lack thereof. I don't think that's terribly ambiguous, and I don't think anyone's misunderstood Anno's intent, either.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Drabant
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Drabant » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:40 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:That's your interpretation, not a fact or direct statement, tho.

If I may say so, I think it's a good interpretation. In fact, I dare say that it's the best interpretation, to the point that it should be taken as fact.

We've come to know Evangelion and it's creators for over twenty years now, and not once in those twenty years of recorded sayings, appearances or interviews have I (or anyone else for that matter) seen anything that would contradict it. That people think they (Anno&Co) are unpredictable is to me a joke, they are awfully consistent and will for all forseeable future continue to be so.

Quite frankly I tire of fans who do damage control on behalf of Anno because they side with his agenda to divide and conquer his fandom, or out of naivety believe that he'll turn around.

Because this:

View Original PostKendrix wrote:"Oh, that character is BS and you shouldn't like her"

is precisely what Anno is saying, and has been saying, ever since the 90's through either interviews, dismissals or rewrites of the original story. I'm not saying he's right, rather I think what he's saying is terribly wrong and that his behavior is the indirect cause of virtually all lacking quality in the franchise ever since the original story finished.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”