How are the Evas not sinking into the ground?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:00 pm

View Original PostUltrahuntr wrote:Just saying "rubber physics" and actually attempting to give an explanation as to what you mean by that are two different things though. I (and others) were trying to give an actual explanation, not just two words. ^_^

The explanations don't actually help, though - they just dress it up; which is fine in context, of course, but doesn't actually address the OP's question (to which there is of course no satisfactory real-world answer).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Ultrahuntr
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ultrahuntr » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:03 pm

I was trying to give more explanation based on the physics in-universe, not in the real world. When if comes to addressing what OP said you pretty much just said "anime magic" and walked away. Sorry I decided to put thought into my answer.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:41 pm

The two parts of the OP's question actually suggest both types of answer.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

Ultrahuntr
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ultrahuntr » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:07 pm

While it was implying one or the other, trying to debunk what I said by implying "just anime magic" isn't really productive to the topic at all, and is kind of rude to be honest.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:05 pm

Considering the inconsistent nature of physics in the Evaverse-- and most anime in general-- "rubber physics" isn't so much a rude term as a legitimate explanation of the work.

Ultrahuntr
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ultrahuntr » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:19 pm

I wasn't calling the term "rubber physics" rude, I was saying it was kind of rude to just try and devalue our opinions that we formed on the matter by saying that "this is pretty much rubber physics anyway". Do see what I mean?

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sorrow » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:36 pm

The implication there being that your opinions are to be accepted more so than "rubber physics," presumably because there was a bit of thought involved.

It wasn't an attempt to devalue your opinion, only to point out that it is unnecessary.

You'll do well to not be so easily offended.
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:48 pm

pwhodges wrote:The explanations don't actually help, though - they just dress it up; which is fine in context, of course, but doesn't actually address the OP's question (to which there is of course no satisfactory real-world answer).

OP does ask whether "ATF trickery is involved", so I'm a bit confused over this whole tangent. Working with the in-universe physics is fully on-topic and there's no need to shut down conversation with the "rubber physics, full stop" stuff.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: How are the Evas not sinking into the ground?

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:07 am

^ It's not my intention to shut anything down; sorry if it came over that way.

View Original PostSuperTechmarine wrote:Or is Gainax just ignorant in the way of Physics?

No, of course they are not; but in any science fiction, certain changes need to be made for the scheme to work. Gainax were actually a little unusual in having used a specific aspect of physics that much science fiction really does ignore when they made relativistic time dilation a major plot point in Gunbuster - but even there they ignored other physical constraints when it suited them.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:21 am

nano- i mean A.T. fields son!
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Ultrahuntr
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ultrahuntr » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:59 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:OP does ask whether "ATF trickery is involved", so I'm a bit confused over this whole tangent. Working with the in-universe physics is fully on-topic and there's no need to shut down conversation with the "rubber physics, full stop" stuff.

This exactly. Sorry that I got all offended, but what you said and continued to say just seemed to me like you were shutting down the conversation and saying "That's that." We were just trying to reply to the entirety of OP's post, not just saying it was rubber physics and being done with it.

Rodeo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Rodeo » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:54 am

Jet Alone didn't need an AT field to walk around with it's flimsy ass legs.
The Evas are operating under the same kind of laws as any other giant monster or robot that has ever appeared on the screen, anything else just overcomplicates things. And yes, the MP Evas were legit flying.

Ultrahuntr
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ultrahuntr » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:18 am

That's not the point of the topic. We were trying to engage in an actual conversation by attempting to explain it via how the physics MIGHT work. Just like the previous guy who said it, writing it off to "anime magic" doesn't help conversation at all.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:38 am

Well, it depends. :devil: Are the ideas suggested here (various uses of AT-fields for instance) actually something intended by the writers, or are they no more than fanwanking to make explanations that feel (without actually being) more convincing than the undeniable underlying "rubber physics"?

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:10 am

I don't see how the Evas can work without ATF assistance (Jet Alone notwithstanding). Forget sinking into the ground, they move like normal humans -- that just isn't possible at that scale. And the MPEs actually fly, which is simply absurd. But with ATF assist the Evas can move, the MPEs can fly, and everything's fine. And really, that's more-or-less what the ATF is supposed to do, anyway; it's a boundary between the subject and the world, one which gives it shape and movement. That's how it's supposed to work.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

SuperTechmarine
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SuperTechmarine » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:59 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I don't see how the Evas can work without ATF assistance (Jet Alone notwithstanding). Forget sinking into the ground, they move like normal humans -- that just isn't possible at that scale. And the MPEs actually fly, which is simply absurd.

Looked more like assisted gliding to me.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:23 pm

View Original PostSuperTechmarine wrote:Looked more like assisted gliding to me.

They take off from a standing start on the ground. That's powered flight, not gliding. Earlier, when they landed? Totally assisted gliding. But later on, before they munched Asuka? Nope.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:53 pm

It's anime physics. You gotta suspend disbelief.

K40s
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby K40s » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:17 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I don't see how the Evas can work without ATF assistance (Jet Alone notwithstanding). Forget sinking into the ground, they move like normal humans -- that just isn't possible at that scale. And the MPEs actually fly, which is simply absurd. But with ATF assist the Evas can move, the MPEs can fly, and everything's fine. And really, that's more-or-less what the ATF is supposed to do, anyway; it's a boundary between the subject and the world, one which gives it shape and movement. That's how it's supposed to work.
I'm not trying to be ironic, could you shed some light on why moving like normal humans is impossible at that scale and flying is just absurd? Again Dinosaurs moved and Pterodactyls flew... :huh:

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:27 pm

View Original PostK40s wrote:I'm not trying to be ironic, could you shed some light on why moving like normal humans is impossible at that scale and flying is just absurd? Again Dinosaurs moved and Pterodactyls flew... :huh:

Square cube law. Pterosaurs weren't nearly that big; the largest had a 50 foot wingspan and perhaps a 12 foot body, nowhere near the size of the MPEs. And the largest dinosaur was half the size of an Eva, and built like an elephant, not a human.

It's physics, basically.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”