Neon Genesis Evangelion is an Occult Grimoire

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
TheAdmiral
Adam

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion is an Occult Grimoire

•      
  •      

Postby TheAdmiral » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:01 pm

Hi Chuckman,

I'd like to thank you for taking the time, not only for the benefit others, but also for yourself in trying to look beyond the immediate to try to really understand the allegorical symbolism that NGE is trying to convey. I tip my hat to you, good sir! ^_^

It's a series worth watching and re-watching: every time I do, I notice something new, a detail that becomes a puzzle piece that helps to create a more complete picture. The series really is a blueprint, a path to enlightenment. The fact that you're able to see this tells me that you can go beyond seeing with your eyes to seeing from your heart, keep it up!

A few points that I'd like to add: the term angel was well and carefully chosen. They are not only divine messengers, but also guardians of evolution. Sometimes it feels like those divine messengers are trying to stomp us out, to destroy us, but in reality it's just that they have a greater perspective on things. They know that growth is sometimes accompanied by great pain and suffering, but that process will eventually bring us to something glorious.

You've caught some really interesting details in your analysis, and yes, the wounds received, especially by Shinji (and by extension EVA-01), are not random: they are specific to the evolutionary process that Shinji is undergoing. The mind, the emotions and the heart: always in that order ;)

In fact, I suspect that Anno was strongly inspired by Jodorowski's The Holy Mountain: a fantastic film, but perhaps a tad too "direct" for general viewing audiences.

In any case, keep up the great work!

SawItAtAge10
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SawItAtAge10 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:33 pm

View Original PostTheAdmiral wrote:In fact, I suspect that Anno was strongly inspired by Jodorowski's The Holy Mountain: a fantastic film, but perhaps a tad too "direct" for general viewing audiences.

Holy shit! You're like the ONLY person I have see yet who has brought up Jodorowski's magnum opus! I did to some extent here:

post/797717/If-______-was-directing-EVA/#797717

In addition to drawing connections to Marilyn Manson (this film's imagery/concepts were a HUGE inspiration to him) and his Triptych (Holy Wood, Mechanical Animals, Antichrist Superstar) and how the concepts parallel NGE and The Holy Mountain ins surprising ways...

For example, the video for The Dope Show where Manson destroys a bunch of mannequins of himself, a scene lifted from THM where the thief goes ape shit on a bunch of Jesus statues modeled after him, kind of reminds me of Ritsuko's destruction of the "Spare Rei's"

I would love to hear your insights on this if you have the time :)
FROM EVANGELION:
"Acts of Man are greater than acts of God!"

"I'm saying that I love you."

NOT FROM EVANGELION:
"You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold."

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:50 pm

...huh. Gonna have to add that to my list of movies to watch sometime.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

TheAdmiral
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby TheAdmiral » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:50 pm

View Original PostSawItAtAge10 wrote:Holy shit! You're like the ONLY person I have see yet who has brought up Jodorowski's magnum opus! I did to some extent here:

post/797717/If-______-was-directing-EVA/#797717

In addition to drawing connections to Marilyn Manson (this film's imagery/concepts were a HUGE inspiration to him) and his Triptych (Holy Wood, Mechanical Animals, Antichrist Superstar) and how the concepts parallel NGE and The Holy Mountain ins surprising ways...

For example, the video for The Dope Show where Manson destroys a bunch of mannequins of himself, a scene lifted from THM where the thief goes ape shit on a bunch of Jesus statues modeled after him, kind of reminds me of Ritsuko's destruction of the "Spare Rei's"

I would love to hear your insights on this if you have the time :)

In reality, NGE and The Holy Mountain both draw on the same source and teachings to convey their respective storylines. The latter is far more explicit with its depiction of specific symbols, rituals and ritualistic symbolism pertaining to a certain initiatory order. Actually, NGE is pretty blatant about that too if you know where to look, and the same goes for the Rebuild films which cut out much of the filler material. I've practically given it away at this point.

Eleven
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Eleven » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:47 am

View Original PostTheAdmiral wrote:Hi Chuckman,

I'd like to thank you for taking the time, not only for the benefit others, but also for yourself in trying to look beyond the immediate to try to really understand the allegorical symbolism that NGE is trying to convey. I tip my hat to you, good sir! ^_^

[...]

In fact, I suspect that Anno was strongly inspired by Jodorowski's The Holy Mountain: a fantastic film, but perhaps a tad too "direct" for general viewing audiences.

In any case, keep up the great work!

I have to agree with TheAdmiral's compliments. I really enjoy this thread.

O my, it's been a long time since I last thought of Jodorowsky. I think I was too young when I first saw El Topo and The Holy Mountain and therefore I plan on watching them again sometime soon.

@Chuckman: I am currently searching for some kind of encyclopedia of the occult, a book which gives a good overview of the most important aspects / mythologies / etc. But I have abolutely no idea how to identify a good one. ("good" meaning as objective as possible with this subject.) I need some kind of "starting point". Do you have any suggestions?

TheAdmiral wrote:In reality, NGE and The Holy Mountain both draw on the same source and teachings to convey their respective storylines. The latter is far more explicit with its depiction of specific symbols, rituals and ritualistic symbolism pertaining to a certain initiatory order. Actually, NGE is pretty blatant about that too if you know where to look, and the same goes for the Rebuild films which cut out much of the filler material. I've practically given it away at this point.

Given away what exactly? Would you like to elaborate?
I apologize for any grammar mistakes, as I am not a native speaker.

one-eyed
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby one-eyed » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:28 am

Eleven wrote:@Chuckman: I am currently searching for some kind of encyclopedia of the occult, a book which gives a good overview of the most important aspects / mythologies / etc. But I have abolutely no idea how to identify a good one. ("good" meaning as objective as possible with this subject.) I need some kind of "starting point". Do you have any suggestions?

I liked that idea, but I think people on the site may not like the topic, so just put a few key words and basic concepts taking a lot of Wikipedia, to be more accessible.

Seele – Cargo Cult.
When the Americans and Japanese began the war in the Pacific large quantities of military equipment and supplies that both sides were launched from aircraft (or taken by helicopter by airstrips) to troops. To these islands meant drastic changes in lifestyle of the islanders, many of whom had never seen anything of it before: manufactured clothing, medicines, canned food, tents, weapons and other goods arrived in large quantities to the soldiers, who often shared some of the supplies to the inhabitants of the islands of Tanna Island (Vanuatu) who were their guides and hosts or so stragglers crates they were simply found by the natives and used. This was true for the US Army as well as the Japanese army, at least initially, before relations deteriorated in most regions.

With the end of war, the military abandoned air bases and stopped falling loads. In response, charismatic individuals developed services between remote populations of Melanesia promising to grant his followers deliveries of food, weapons, vehicles, etc. The leaders of sects explained that the load would present their own ancestors, or from other sources, as had occurred with the hosts out. In an attempt to bring the load to fall parachute or land in planes and ships again, islanders imitated the same practices they had seen the soldiers, sailors and airmen use. Cult behaviors typically involved imitating the day -to-day and dress styles of American soldiers, as the realization of floor exercises parade with wooden rifles or recovered. The islanders carved wooden headphones and wore them while sitting in manufactured control towers. They waved the landing signals standing on runways. They lit bonfires and signal flares to illuminate runways and lighthouses. In a form of sympathetic magic, many built life-size replicas of straw aircraft and cut new tracks military-style landing out of the jungle, hoping to attract more aircraft.

Cargo cults are typically created by individual leaders or great men of culture of Melanesia, and this is not at all clear whether these leaders were sincere, or were simply running scams on gullible population. Leaders generally perform worship rituals well away from established towns and the colonial authorities, becoming reliable information on the practices very difficult to acquire. (Adapted from Wikipedia)

Evas - Golem
In Jewish folklore, a golem (/ˈɡoʊləm/GO-ləm; Hebrew: גולם‎) is an animated anthropomorphic being, magically created entirely from inanimate matter. The word was used to mean an amorphous, unformed material (usually out of stone and clay.)
The Hebrew letters on the creature's head read "emet", meaning "truth". In some versions of the Chełm and Prague narratives, the Golem is killed by removing the first letter, making the word spell "met", meaning "dead".
The golem activation phrase is usually:

Yahweh Elohim Amet - יהוה אלוהים אמת - The truth of the Lord Jehovah.

Yahweh Elohim Met - יהוה אלוהים מת - Lord Jehovah is dead.

(Adapted from Wikipedia)

The giant Rei / Kaworu – Rebis

The Rebis (from the Latin res bina, meaning dual or double matter) is the end product of the alchemical magnum opus or great work.
After one has gone through the stages of putrefaction and purification, separating opposing qualities, those qualities are united once more in what is sometimes described as the divine hermaphrodite, a reconciliation of spirit and matter, a being of both male and female qualities as indicated by the male and female head within a single body. The sun and moon correspond to the male and female halves, just as the Red King and White Queen are similarly associated. The dragon in alchemy represents the prime matter, as well as the third alchemical element sulfur. The winged dragon suggests ascension, a merging of material and spiritual. Fire is a common transformative symbol.

The Rebis image first appeared in the work Azoth of the Philosophers by Basil Valentine in 1613. (Adapted from Wikipedia)

The forbidden union of Adam and Lilith - Hieros gamos
Hieros gamos or Hierogamy (Greek ἱερὸς γάμος, ἱερογαμία "holy marriage") refers to a sexual ritual that plays out a marriage between a god and a goddess, especially when enacted in a symbolic ritual where human participants represent the deities.
Variations of this ritual appear in Hinduism, in Greek mythology, in Tantric Buddhism, in ancient Sumerian, etc.

An example would be the dream that Julius Caesar had before crossing the Rubicon river and dominate Rome: Caesar dreamed to rape his own mother and the augurs interpreted the dream saying he would rule Rome, the mother of all. In EoE, Gendo claims to have become one with Adam and performs Hierogamus with Rei, his "daughter", a clone of Yui, his wife, and Lilith, the mother of mankind. All aspects of the Goddess, submissive, moaning in pleasure at this "great man." I cannot imagine a better euphemism for rape and incest that "Forbidden Union".

Glyphs -Enochian
Enochian is a name often applied to an occult or angelic language recorded in the private journals of John Dee and his colleague Edward Kelley in late 16th-century England. Kelley was a spirit medium who worked with Dee in his magical investigations. The men claimed that the language was revealed to them by the Enochian angels. The language is integral to the practice of Enochian magic.

Instrumentality - Entheogen
An entheogen ("generating the divine within")] is a chemical substance used in a religious, shamanic, or spiritual context[5] that may be synthesized or obtained from natural species. The chemical induces altered states of consciousness, psychological or physiological (e.g., bullet ant venom used by the Satere-Mawe people). Entheogens can supplement many diverse practices for transcendence, and revelation, including meditation, yoga, and prayer, psychedelic and visionary art, chanting, and music including peyote song and psytrance, traditional medicine and psychedelic therapy, magic, and psychonautics.

外道 --- Gedou --- Heretical doctrine
The name Gendo is basically a paronym of his function to Seele in Eva. This I admit that's news to me. I checked with the Google translator and seems to be true, but if someone else can confirm I thank you.

Gashadokuro
Gashadokuro (がしゃどくろ, literally "starving skeleton," also known as Odokuro) are mythical creatures in Japanese mythology.
The Gashadokuro are giant skeletons that are fifteen times taller than an average person, said to be created from the amassed bones of people who died of starvation. These Yōkai roam after midnight, grabbing lone travelers and biting off their heads to drink their spraying blood. There is a tell sign as the victim would hear the sound of loud ringing in the ear. The Gashadokuro are said to possess the powers of invisibility and indestructibility; though Shinto charms are said to ward them off.[1][
As Shinji is called "gaki" (hungry ghost) I found it appropriate to mention this Japanese myth. I discovered this myth in a fanfiction when Shinji sees the cemetery of Evas.

Folk Devil
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Folk Devil » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:02 am

Doing research for this paper I'm writing caused me to stumble upon something rather interesting, this is a quote from “The Mortal Soul in Ancient Israel and Pauline Christianity: Ramifications for Modern Medicine,” by James L. Wright (The ramifications for modern medicine, though interesting, I'm sure, are irrelevant both to my paper and this post)

The Hebrew word that most closely approximates to what modernity would call the soul is nepeš. This nepeš though, had nothing to do with the Platonic concept of the soul as an ephemeral entity, separate and distinct from the physical body. Nepeš, rather, is a description of a psychosomatic unity which has no existence apart from the body. It is more accurately translated as a "living being", an individual life.

The nepeš could even be physical -- located in the blood. After the flood, Noah is permitted to eat meat, but "... you shall not eat flesh with its nepeš, that is, its blood. (Gen 9:4)

This completely explains why LCL - the physical manifestation of the soul (and the body, but according to this that separation is irrelevant) - is represented by blood.

The translation of nepeš as "living being" is also rather similar to chayot, the euphemism for "Angel" used by Ezekiel, which ties into humanity's equivalency to the angels.

"Because it looks cool" indeed.
The Creative Principle: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11251079/1/The-Creative-Principle

Iuvenal
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Iuvenal » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:04 pm

View Original PostFolk Devil wrote:Doing research for this paper I'm writing caused me to stumble upon something rather interesting, this is a quote from “The Mortal Soul in Ancient Israel and Pauline Christianity: Ramifications for Modern Medicine,” by James L. Wright (The ramifications for modern medicine, though interesting, I'm sure, are irrelevant both to my paper and this post)

Anywhere this paper can be found without a paywall?
Pkunk's not dead! Shake yer Rootz!

I carved A +S forever into my left buttock with a pocket knife. My right buttock is dominated by a tattoo of James Brown. - Chuckman

Who did 9/11? The FAR. - Reichu

Folk Devil
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Folk Devil » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:31 pm

Probably not, unfortunately.
The Creative Principle: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11251079/1/The-Creative-Principle

one-eyed
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby one-eyed » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:43 am

Tangfication - Metanoia ( μετάνοια) or repentance — undoing the sin of material existence and returning to Pleroma ("region of light", Greek πλήρωμα) (Instrumentality?). (Gnosticism)

Syzygy (Gnosticism), female-male pairings of the emanations known as aeons. Similar to Rebis.

Lilith’s and Adam’s Vessels: A yorishiro (依り代・依代・憑り代・憑代?) in Shinto terminology is an object capable of attracting spirits called kami, thus giving them a physical space to occupy during religious ceremonies. Yorishiro are used during ceremonies to call the kami for worship. The word itself literally means approach substitute. Once a yorishiro actually houses a kami, it is called a shintai. Ropes called shimenawa decorated with paper streamers called shide often surround yorishiro to make their sacredness manifest. Persons can play the same role as a yorishiro, and in that case are called yorimashi (憑坐 lit. possessed person?) or kamigakari (神懸り・神憑 lit. kami possession?).

Fighting Angels , Dead Sea Scrolls, Tree of life, etc. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibuSPtXG5dg

Wunderbar
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Wunderbar » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:54 am

View Original PostIuvenal wrote:Anywhere this paper can be found without a paywall?

Here you go.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8OZNm5Ff7sxa1hNcmpLVU9rLWc
Isn't it ironic?

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:56 pm

View Original PostFolk Devil wrote:This completely explains why LCL - the physical manifestation of the soul (and the body, but according to this that separation is irrelevant) - is represented by blood.

To be honest I always rred the LCL as instead being the body without a soul & AT-Field to maintain it- without (pseudo-)Aristotelian Form it returns to the original water of nothing of Thales and Afro-Asiatic cosmologies. I doubt that latter part is what Anno had in mind though, though I suppose it might be, since it is literally in the second line of Genesis.
I don't think it really matters at all.

I wish we knew what book it was Anno rred to get his religious references from.
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:39 pm

I feel that LCL was more consistently symbolized as amniotic fluid than blood before NTE.
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”