"Sample A-01"

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Replicator
Adam

"Sample A-01"

•      
  •      

Postby Replicator » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:26 am

This is a theory/fanwank that could be another possible explanation about the nature of the Adam embryo.

When the Adam embryo first appeared, Kaji says "It's restored itself this far", and the case holding Adam says "he is living" on it.

SPOILER: Show

Note there the container also says "Sample A-01", which could indicate there were "more" embryonic Adam samples (used for Project E?). Basically, what I am saying is that the embryo seen in NGE could have been one of several, grown from pieces of Adam after it exploded. In an old thread, someone also pointed out that this may indicate that the embryo was only one sample of Adam. Why? Kaji could have acquired "Sample A-01" from SEELE without SEELE getting nervous, because they also have at least one more Sample in their possession. As well, in Episode 24', SEELE says that "Adam's resurrected body is with Ikari", which is carefully worded enough to possibly exclude a reference to the "Original Adam" (which may have been destroyed during 2I). During EoE, Gendo says "We have both Adam and Lilith". He was not referring to the Evangelions, which theoretically are biologically equivalent to the Adam embryo. It's presumed that Gendo salvaged Tabris/Adam's soul after Kaworu died, and planted it into the Adam embryo. That's why he refers to it as "Adam" in EoE. We also see this elsewhere.

View Original PostReichu wrote:The Adam embryo might not have a core-like feature because it doesn't have a soul. Possibly related: the Evas are created soulless and apparently require cores to be grown separately and implanted after the fact.

This also explains why in NGE, Lilith apparently lacks a Core. After Lilith underwent some sort of transition following the creation of Unit-01 and Rei, it may have lost its Core and appeared in its form in NGE. Following this train of thought, its quite possible that Lilith's "True Form" may have been similar to Adam's (I'll explain later).

Discuss.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:03 pm

I think it's called that because the embryo was found with the organism that eventually became Kaworu. "Sample A-01" was the Adam Embryo ("A" for "Adam"), while "Sample A-02" was the Lilin organism which contained his soul, made using the DNA of the human "donor" mentioned in the Second Impact films. I assume the Evas were created from tissue samples taken from Adam before he went kablooey.

Can anyone read the rest of the script on the bakelite, especially the text near the line "he is living"? Also, could this make Adam's status as male canon?
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:27 pm

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:Can anyone read the rest of the script on the bakelite
"Who is man, he is ...., why?" Verb unclear; Reichu suggested "crying" some years back.

The text under Caution could be blurry kanji.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:10 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:"Who is man, he is ...., why?" Verb unclear; Reichu suggested "crying" some years back.

The text under Caution could be blurry kanji.

The missing word looks like "living" to me, but it could be something else. A higher resolution copy of the image would help here, if that's at all possible. I do see a couple of kana in the text in the lower right-hand corner of the image.
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:56 pm

I can confirm that 'living' looks more likely to my eyes. I also suggest that A-01 refers to Angel-01, not Adam-01. It's interesting that the Evas grew, and yet the original body of Adam is scarcely growing, and his adorable existence is even somewhat astonishing.
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

lclbloodtransfusion
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby lclbloodtransfusion » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:43 pm

who is your/Adam
He is living
why?
~ *

sum_exsanguis
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby sum_exsanguis » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:59 pm

couldn't the term who is you just be something they wrote incorrectly much like a certain caution sign?
No weapon against us shall prosper

DeadClones
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby DeadClones » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:42 pm

This is actually the first time I noticed those scribbles were English.

I can read:

ADAM

Who is you
He is Living
Why?

Kinda makes me think of:

"And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit."
1 Corinthians 15:45
I used to really enjoy swimming pools... until I saw the pool of Rei clones get disintegrated.

Can I get that feature in my pool?

sum_exsanguis
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby sum_exsanguis » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:55 pm

Quickening?

DeadClones
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby DeadClones » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:48 am

View Original Postsum_exsanguis wrote:Quickening?

It means to make alive or impart life. God (or more specifically Jesus) is the quickening spirit in this sense.
I used to really enjoy swimming pools... until I saw the pool of Rei clones get disintegrated.

sum_exsanguis
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby sum_exsanguis » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:29 pm

I know...isn't it also coincidentally the name of a certain 3rd movie

DeadClones
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby DeadClones » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:55 pm

View Original Postsum_exsanguis wrote:I know...isn't it also coincidentally the name of a certain 3rd movie

Yeah, I keep trying to read deeply into that. I don't hate myself that much though.

I'm done thinking until I see a copy that isn't missing half the damn screen!

sum_exsanguis
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby sum_exsanguis » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:18 pm

I think it can fit well enough off generalizations, but that is for a spoiler post in 3.0

ShIiNjI
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ShIiNjI » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:12 am

SPOILER: Show

who is you?
He is Living
why?

Reminds me of 2015: The Last Year of Ryohji Kaji, where he says: “I’m sure he is alive.”.

Lance of LoL
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Lance of LoL » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:09 pm

I actually played a game where you raised the Adam embryo like a friggin' tamagochi. Unfortunately due to my lacking skill in Japanese I think I just fed it a few times and then completely lost track of what I was doing.

Tangent aside, What I can make out of the text on the right is

Caution

Some things I can't read
+42 and some more stuff I can't read.

So either there's a Hitchhiker's reference in Eva, or there's math in dem thar frames. XD

What gets my attention though is the little tag in the upper right beneath the biohazard symbol, can anyone read that? it's some word then 510 from the looks of it.
Avatar: MAKE WAY FOR THE HOMO SUPERIOR!

>>>>Rebuild of Evangelion RP "If the only prayer you ever say in your entire life is thank you, it will be enough."~Meister Eckhart<<<<

Nuke-kun: I know not of this "civil conversation" bullshit you speak of.

ShIiNjI
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ShIiNjI » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:12 pm

View Original PostLance of LoL wrote:Tangent aside, What I can make out of the text on the right is

Caution

Some things I can't read
+42 and some more stuff I can't read.

I’ve tried to clear that part too. I’m pretty sure that the upper line is Japanese, but I can’t identify the kana.
In the bottom line I read a +42° (may be +92°, depending on the calligraphy) followed by an unknown/indecipherable symbol.

However, where does that image (first post/wiki) come from? I took a screen from my Platinum DVD's Ep.8 and the glare on the edges is at least twice as thick.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:23 pm

I tried putting the bottom right corner through some basic image modification options that I found on VLC, but I couldn't get it clear enough to see any distinct radicals that I could use to search for kanji. If anyone wants to give it a try, this site is a huge help.
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:41 pm

Hmmm... I'm starting to wonder if the last word is actually "why". It looks like it could be "joy".
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:32 pm

View Original Postthewayneiac wrote:Hmmm... I'm starting to wonder if the last word is actually "why". It looks like it could be "joy".

There's definitely an h in there.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

BlackberryMilk
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby BlackberryMilk » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:54 pm

View Original Postslothen wrote:There's definitely an h in there.

And "Joy?" Doesn't make sense to me, I don't think Kaji would promote sarcasm about something as serious as this.

If there was no question mark, I could see it. But there is a pretty clear 'H' and '?' there.
PSN: HTMLOL

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”