Feelings on alternate live action EoE segment...

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
rip3mwk
Tunniel
Tunniel

Feelings on alternate live action EoE segment...

•      
  •      

Postby rip3mwk » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:22 pm

I personally love the 11odd minutes of live action footage and find it to be a shame that it was chopped up just to make a trailer. Anyone know what happened here? - I guess all directors have their cutting board moments of retardation... So who out there would've kept it in and who would've chopped it off, I mean why get rid of it?

I think it really gives you a feel for the real world and the "alternate universe" deal going on in 25 & 26. This is one of the things that I believe to set Eva apart from your average anime, it's simple yet brilliant.

By the way, does anyone have this w/ a fan sub attatched in the video... I'd love to view it w/ subtitles. Yes, I've read the translation.
Last edited by rip3mwk on Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:51 pm

Probably worth editing the title to say "alternate live action segment" - as opposed to the crowd scenes and cinema audience that remain.

That section would have been the obvious equivalent/counterpoint to the panty-flash-Rei school AU segment of EoTV, even though I can't quite believe Asuka as an office lady, rather than a Ritsuko-style neurotic academic.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:09 pm

http://www.evamonkey.com/alternate_live_action.php

I believe the one there is subbed.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:11 pm

Why did Anno leave this on the cutting room flor again?
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Re: Feelings on alternate live action EoE segment...

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:12 pm

rip3mwk wrote:By the way, does anyone have this w/ a fan sub attatched in the video... I'd love to view it w/ subtitles. Yes, I've read the translation.

Here: http://www.evamonkey.com/alternate_live_action.php

While I enjoy what might have been, I just don't think it would have fit. Due to the length, and the fact that it is a fairly self contained, it would have disrupted the flow. I imagine this is in effect why it was removed in the first place. It was not meant to be. I think the use of live footage in the final product was more effective of achieving what Anno wanted, even if it is a bit more abstract.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:13 pm

I see your point oh wise monkey.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:08 am

DatDude wrote:I see your point oh wise monkey.
I think EM is on the right track, and I would also add that the LA characters are just too removed from who they are in the 'real' NGE world: Asuka is no longer 3/4 gaijin, Rei is just an OL, etc. It's not just a world without Shinji: aside from the characters names, and the relevance to Asuka's line in P3II, "Ah, I wonder if I'll be like Misato when I grow up?", it doesn't seem to be occuring in the NGE world at all. The differences are just too jarring, IMO...

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:09 am

And let's not forget the all important fact that Asuka, Rei, and Misato are portrayed by their seiyuus, and we don't want to give those fanboys any more encouragement by giving their favorite fwap material human form.

Heidroch
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Heidroch » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:17 pm

I personally enjoyed the extended LA sequence posted on this website, but I am glad that it was not included in the movie. The shortened version in the movie was just what was needed: Short and sweet.
That way the original LA sequence could be left for the hardcore Eva fans to find and think about.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”