Fuyutsuki's office

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Fuyutsuki's office

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:49 pm

Why doesn't Fuyutsuki have an office as Gendō? What I mean is that he always stands behind Gendō as if he has nowhere else to go, which is puzzling for a high official in an organization.

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:29 pm

On TV shows, out of sight = out of mind for the viewers. It's the same reason that Captain Picard and Commander Riker are always on the bridge at the same time on Star Trek: The Next Generation.

That, and the show uses Fuyutsuki for bits of exposition. Of course, that's because Gendo never says anything and Misato doesn't know WTF is going on behind the scenes for most of the series so it's pretty much by default.

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:42 pm

View Original Postsvenge wrote:It's the same reason that Captain Picard and Commander Riker are always on the bridge at the same time on Star Trek: The Next Generation.

It makes sense in a vehicle, but in a building, especially in main headquarters, an official must have a workspace. Misato has an office space, Ritsuko has an office space. Why doesn't Fuyutsuki?

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:48 pm

Fuyutsuki also doesn't have knees. Think about it dude, you never see him sit down. His entire lower body is a primitive cybernetic construct which can't actuate such a complex motion.

Also, is it just me or did you use to have only one "l" in your name?
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:56 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Fuyutsuki also doesn't have knees. Think about it dude, you never see him sit down. His entire lower body is a primitive cybernetic construct which can't actuate such a complex motion.

I know. Only because it isn't shown on screen doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. But his constant standing presence around Gendō is conspicuous.

Also, is it just me or did you use to have only one "l" in your name?

Yes I did. I edited my username by request.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Fuyutsuki's office

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:57 pm

We saw Fuyutsuki's office in episode 21.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:18 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Think about it dude, you never see him sit down.

You see him sitting on the trains in #11 and #17, at the very least.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Jornophelanthas
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Jornophelanthas » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:26 pm

Also, during the power outage, when the tech staff are complaining of the heat and admiring Gendo and Fuyutsuki for their unflappability, there is a close-up of Fuyutsuki's feet soaking in a tub of water beneath the commander's seat on top of the MAGI.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:12 pm

View Original PostJornophelanthas wrote:there is a close-up of Fuyutsuki's feet soaking in a tub of water beneath the commander's seat on top of the MAGI.

Fuyu and Gendo are in their usual places; Fuyu just happens to be standing in a bucket of water as well.

And a couple of additions to the "spot Fuyutsuki sitting" scavenger hunt:

- #15: when he's with Gendo on the helicopter
- a few times in the #21 flashbacks (won't note them individually, since they might "not count")
- #21 present-day, when he's bound to a chair for the Seele interrogation

Mr. Tines: I don't recall seeing a Nerv office for Fuyutsuki in #21.

NGE2 doesn't even give him his own office. In the game, "Gendo's" office is actually shared by both commanding officers. Though I wonder how Fuyutsuki gets any work done without his own desk. Maybe he does have one, but it can retract into the floor so Gendo can look more ominous whenever other people come to visit... [/not sure if serious]
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

r0ach
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby r0ach » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:16 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:You see him sitting on the trains in #11 and #17, at the very least.

He can also be sitting at his "office" in episode 21
"I knew a girl........... had a dozen guys. One of them found out about it, beat her up so bad she ended up in a hospital on Guerrero street."~ Mark

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:16 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:I don't recall seeing a Nerv office for Fuyutsuki in #21.
No, but he does have one in the university, pre-2I.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:24 pm

r0ach: The office, and when he's drinking with the other teacher, and when he's tending that ghetto post-2I infirmary.

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:No, but he does have one in the university, pre-2I.

Yeah, but... that's not what Al(l)eman was asking about.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:35 pm

I'm sure he has one somewhere for when Gendo's brooding gets to be a bit too much and he has to do all that bothersome bookkeeping crap. It just isn't important because he isn't important to the story, and nobody ever goes to visit him there for any reason that Anno felt like putting to film.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby chaosakita » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:56 pm

How do we know Fuyutsuki doesn't have an office? Maybe he goes there whenever he's not talking with Gendou.
Avatar: Shinji and Kaworu get ice cream

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:05 pm

I do not recall any scene to show or tell us that Fuyutsuki does or does not have an office. It is fair to assume his position would entail the use of an office, but it would likely be a spartan room kept similar to his office at the University in '21.
Voluntary Illusion.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Re: Fuyutsuki's office

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:41 am

View Original PostAllemann wrote:What I mean is that he always stands behind Gendō as if he has nowhere else to go, which is puzzling for a high official in an organization.

Not odd at all, he's second in command and has to be right there if Gendo takes off. There's no chair because standing like a sentry is a cooler visual.

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

•      
  •      

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:08 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Though I wonder how Fuyutsuki gets any work done without his own desk

He uses a clipboard, duh.
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:13 am

Fuyutsuki not having his own office would make sense of a lot of things I never really questioned. Fuyutsuki can be periodically seen doing all manner of things beside Gendo's desk that I would think he'd do more naturally in an office of his own if he had one. He often seems to just be lounging around at the commander's desk. Even the Vice President of the US is not supposed to hang out in the Oval Office as much as Fuyutsuki does in Gendo's. It would also say a lot about their relationship, because of how peculiar it is. As I write more about them in a fic I'm doing I notice how much they often seem like an old married couple but this really takes the cake :lol:.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

r0ach
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby r0ach » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:36 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:r0ach: The office, and when he's drinking with the other teacher, and when he's tending that ghetto post-2I infirmary.

Yeah, but... that's not what Al(l)eman was asking about.

Do you feel this thread would be more suitable for "Chit-Chat"?

Not that I'm not a little curious as to where his normal office could be.........oOh who am I kidding? this affects everything
"I knew a girl........... had a dozen guys. One of them found out about it, beat her up so bad she ended up in a hospital on Guerrero street."~ Mark

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:15 pm

Fuyutsuki likely has an office, but he never does anything interesting in there so we never have to see it.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”