"Anno intended Rei to be creepy"

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

Re: "Anno intended Rei to be creepy"

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:29 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Or simply has no experience of exposing emotion - think of the "smile" scene, for instance.

Hmm, that reminds me of that small interview of Hayashibara's in the extra-stuff at the end of volume 3 of the manga, where she talked about how Anno had told her, that it's not like Rei doesn't have emotion but that she doesn't know what it is (but once she learned them, she can develop them) - his tehnical request as a result, was to read her lines as flat as possible initially.

It's a pretty enjoyable read from what I remember, she delves into Rei's character quite a bit and then some.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:04 pm

Oh, that does sound interesting. Just give me more incentive to spend money on manga, why don't you :wink: .
My first fanfic: Neon Genesis Craig-Insertion
Kyoko's Melons: Currently being completely rewritten, so... if anyone liked it so far, great. I did too. But... not enough. ;)

EvaGeeks Discord server: https://discord.gg/MgA8Ev7

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:08 pm

Rei's character can be creepy at times, especially when it comes to her detachment and when she becomes a God (not to mention her "alien-like" nature) but outside of that and certain depictions, I never found Rei to be creepy. I found her largely sympathetic.

StrokeMeGoat
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby StrokeMeGoat » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:44 pm

View Original Postthe_seventh_child wrote:Hmm, that reminds me of that small interview of Hayashibara's in the extra-stuff at the end of volume 3 of the manga, where she talked about how Anno had told her, that it's not like Rei doesn't have emotion but that she doesn't know what it is (but once she learned them, she can develop them) - his tehnical request as a result, was to read her lines as flat as possible initially.

It's a pretty enjoyable read from what I remember, she delves into Rei's character quite a bit and then some.

Sounds like Alexithymia. Since Anno said something about Rei being inspired by symptoms from schizophrenia, you would typically think more then that she suffers from Blunted or Flat Affect, since it's a common negative symptom caused by schizophrenia. But, reading that, I would definitely agree that it seems more like she indeed is capable of and does have some emotions but is unable to properly identify them or explicitly describe what it is that she feels.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”