Rei's AT-Field

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
r0ach
Adam

Rei's AT-Field

•      
  •      

Postby r0ach » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:58 am

It seems she didn't really know she had one, or at least how to use it, until after her little run-in with Kaworu. She seemed to have a pretty good grasp of it when she blocked out his AT-field later in episode 24.

Anyway, what was it exactly that made her AT-field start to fall apart in EoE? Gendo mentioned it wouldn't hold it's shape much longer, hence why her arm fell of? Third Impact with the MP Evas seemed to be getting under way above ground, but that doesn't seem like a good catalyst for Rei to start falling apart.

any ideas?
"I knew a girl........... had a dozen guys. One of them found out about it, beat her up so bad she ended up in a hospital on Guerrero street."~ Mark

Stikuru
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Stikuru » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:06 am

Anyway, what was it exactly that made her AT-field start to fall apart in EoE? Gendo mentioned it wouldn't hold it's shape much longer, hence why her arm fell of? Third Impact with the MP Evas seemed to be getting under way above ground, but that doesn't seem like a good catalyst for Rei to start falling apart.

Well my personal opinion was that the whole MP Eva Third Impact thing going on WAS the reason for her AT field to start failing.

I was always just under the impression that her AT field dropping was one of the requirements for her to merge with Adam and return to Lilith, since AT fields are sort of like the barriers that seperate different forms of life.

I have basically no evidence to support this, but it just felt that way when I watched it. :/

rhfxz1s
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby rhfxz1s » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:00 am

I was always under the impression that she began to purposely weaken her AT field in order to allow Gendo in. Presumably, she had reached a point where she couldn't go back and it would eventually collapse in time.

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:03 am

View Original Postrhfxz1s wrote:I was always under the impression that she began to purposely weaken her AT field in order to allow Gendo in. Presumably, she had reached a point where she couldn't go back and it would eventually collapse in time.

Gendo's Adam palm, to be more precise.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:18 pm

I proposed an idea of what's going on with Rei's arm here.

ReiAyanami25
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby ReiAyanami25 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:26 pm

My opinion on Rei's AT field is that Rei one and two were not aware of it, or they possibly could not put it to any use. The reason I see for this is that Rei three seemed to possess the whole soul of Lilith, unlike the Reis that came before her, so perhaps she could only deploy her AT feild when she had Lilith's entire soul, perhaps the angel part of her being and form was not prominent enough until she became Rei three. Maybe this encounter with Kaworu
SPOILER: Show

-another being with an angel's soul in Lilin body, awakened an instinct inside her that made the deployment of her AT field possible. I am certain that she did not know of her AT field, perhaps because she did not even have one until Rei three appeared. It seems plausible that Rei's AT field was a crucial part of the successful combination of Adam and Lilith. Maybe Rei was only given the entirety of Lilith's soul when Gendo knew that third impact was drawing near, so he was able to make use of it. If Rei two had perished earlier than episode 23, perhaps they would have used a portion of Lilith's soul instead. During third impact, when Rei's arm fell off, we have reasons to believe that her AT field was weakening. Possibly the combination of Third impact beginning above ground, and maybe her Lilin body was not strong enough to sustain the AT field for long made the field weaken, hence Gendo's statement that they were running out of time.
生は、死の始まり。そして再生は、夢の終わり。
"I write only because there is a voice within me that will not be still." - SP

Rei Ayanami's beauty comes from the truth that she has feelings...the struggle to draw your feelings forth, the reconciliation between your surface and your death - that, I believe, is where we truly become alive, truly become human beings." -Hayashibara Megumi

Stikuru
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Stikuru » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:37 pm

perhaps because she did not even have one until Rei three appeared.

I don't really agree with this part, just because the way that Kaworu talked about AT fields made it seem like that anything with a soul had an AT field.

He specifically mentions that all humans have AT fields, and that they represent the "Light of the soul". I don't see why the same rules wouldn't apply to Rei I or Rei II, even if they contained only a small part of Lilith's soul and not even a human soul.

But the rest of what you said makes sense, Rei III could have been the only one to posess enough of the soul to merge Lilith and Adam. Just curious though, but if Rei III had all of Lilith's soul, whose soul did Lilith have? Or does the soul just exist in both at once? Because that might be a problem with the theory.

ReiAyanami25
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby ReiAyanami25 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:00 pm

View Original PostStikuru wrote: Or does the soul just exist in both at once?

Exactly that. Rei can possess Lilith's soul, and so can Lilith. That is what I believe anyhow.
Or perhaps the soul was shared between the two until Rei two was reincarnated into Rei three, after that event Lilith had been without a soul. This may have helped in Rei's transformation into GNR, because Lilith's body would have possibly been more easy to transform if there was no will left inside it to terminate the change.
生は、死の始まり。そして再生は、夢の終わり。
"I write only because there is a voice within me that will not be still." - SP

Rei Ayanami's beauty comes from the truth that she has feelings...the struggle to draw your feelings forth, the reconciliation between your surface and your death - that, I believe, is where we truly become alive, truly become human beings." -Hayashibara Megumi

GiftedPilot
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby GiftedPilot » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:24 pm

You could also think of this as Lillith escaping, and since Rei is now empty, Truly and Completely, she falls apart.
My three favorite NGE lines
"What are you, stupid?" -Asuka
""The cruel Angels Thesis, soon you will take flight from the windowsill" -Cruel Angels Thesis
"Takes one to know one. I wonder if only weirdos are chosen to be EVA pilots?" -Toji

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”