Evangelion WTF :S I am confused

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
flyingeagle666
Embryo

Evangelion WTF :S I am confused

•      
  •      

Postby flyingeagle666 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:21 pm

So I am pretty new to Evangelion

First I watched Evangelion 1.0 and 2.0

I then came on this site and was advised to watch the Neon Genesis series. I have now completed it. I was enjoying it until the last 2-3 episodes and now I am like WTF just happened? lol

I dont get it at all, it was an aweful ending imo. Seriously I dont understand what I just watched

Can someone explain things to me lol
Hello

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:32 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Evangelion WTF :S I am confused

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:36 pm

View Original Postflyingeagle666 wrote:I dont get it at all, it was an aweful ending imo. Seriously I dont understand what I just watched
Really you now need to watch the other ending to the series, the movie End of Evangelion.

After the last Angel is dealt with, there is still the conspiracy and counter-conspiracy to launch the Human Instrumentality Project -- as Gendo puts it in episode 21

Ikari: Right.
The way to become a god, which no one has achieved.
The Human Instrumentality Project.

That happens; as is explained in episode 25

Gendou: No,
It's not that everything returns to nothingness.
It's nothing but returning everything to the beginning.
Nothing but returning things to the mother which
has long since been lost.
All the minds become one mind, obtaining peace forever.
Nothing but that.

Misato: Is that the Instrumentality of Man Project?

Ritsuko: Right.
We always have a vacuum, something lost in our minds.

And so with all minds joined together, the characters get to work through the issues -- primarily about being unable to connect with other people -- and eventually resolve them.

It tells of how Shinji overcomes his lack of confidence and fear of opening up to other people.

And then after his cathartic revelation, ends.

Also, there were time and budget issues which meant that they had to scrape an ending together out of half-finished material. EoE was done after they had raked in the cash from their surprise hit.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

flyingeagle666
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby flyingeagle666 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:54 pm

thanks guys

Looks like I need to watch Death and Rebith and also End of Evangelion

I have to say that I am enjoying Rebuild a lot more than the anime itself, not that the anime is bad btw (except ending is confusing lol)
Hello

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:05 pm

View Original Postflyingeagle666 wrote:Death and Rebith
That's a clip show plus the first 30 minutes of EoE ending on a cliffhanger; not strictly needed.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Re: Evangelion WTF :S I am confused

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:59 pm

View Original Postflyingeagle666 wrote:Can someone explain things to me lol

If you want answers, you need to go to V's site.

Unfortunately, they won't be the right answers. But they will be answers, technically speaking.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Galaxy News Reidio
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Galaxy News Reidio » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:35 am

You know that feeling of "What the fuck"? Get used to it. It's a crucial part of Eva fandom.
Even in death, I still nerd.

liquidus118
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby liquidus118 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:33 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:That's a clip show plus the first 30 minutes of EoE ending on a cliffhanger; not strictly needed.

I'd disagree, if the OP hasn't seen the Director's Cut versions of episodes 21-26.
If you have then just skip it and go watch End of Evangelion. Though don't expect to be much the wiser for it first time.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:47 pm

There aren't director's cuts for 25 and 26. Only 21-24 have director's cuts, and 24's isn't really necessary.

Before you watch EoE, you should probably be aware of the concurrency debate. It's split into two distinct camps; no concurrency and strong concurrency. I think there's also a weak concurrency arguement, but no one cares about it.

No concurrency: Some people prefer not to think to much about it, so they don't. They believe that the endings are separate.

Strong concurrency: There are also people who prefer to have a detailed unmangled continuity, to the point of obsession. They believe the endings are the same.

The only thing the camps have in common is that they both have a very nasty habit of finding things that aren't really there.
The majority of this forum supports strong concurrency, but there are several notable heretics, such as Nemz and Mr. Tines. There are also heretics that aren't notable, because no one likes them, such as myself.

Enjoy your new cancerous confusion.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:39 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:The only thing the camps have in common is that they both have a very nasty habit of finding things that aren't really there.

Hey now, we have more in common than that! Sometimes we're good at ignoring things that are really there too!

Number 44
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Number 44 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:40 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:There aren't director's cuts for 25 and 26. Only 21-24 have director's cuts, and 24's isn't really necessary.

Episode 24 directors cut not necessary? Depends if you're watching the dub. I personally can't stand Kaworu's original dub voice! But if you've already suffered with the original dub, then yeah there's not much to gain from the directors cut of 24.

On another note, I agree on skipping Death and Rebirth. If it's your first time viewing End of Evangelion especially. You lose too much momentum by putting it between the series and EoE.

If you just watched the series, you don't need Death and Rebirth, since it basically only acts as refresher/review for the series.
No matter how many times you watch your copy of End of Evangelion, the ending is not going to change.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:16 am

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:24's isn't really necessary.

Why?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:22 am

It adds some dumb Asuka scene, a little bit of FAR bullshit, the plot hole-creating Seele scene, more Seele blahness, and a preview for a dumb movie.

Clearly not worth watching.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:05 am

View Original PostNumber 44 wrote:I personally can't stand Kaworu's original dub voice!

Yeah, that... that was just awful, and probably violated some kind of hate crimes legislation.
Last edited by Warren Peace on Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby chaosakita » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:07 am

Uh... Episodes 25/26 are just an alternate/concurrent version of instrumentality presented in End of Evangelion. There is nothing confusing about that.
Avatar: Shinji and Kaworu get ice cream

flyingeagle666
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby flyingeagle666 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:31 pm

Lol

I'm not sure if I am less or more confused guys ;) lol

Okay
So I watch in order after completing 1-26 of neon genesis

director's cut 21-24
death rebirth
end of evangelion

is this right then lol??
Hello

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:32 pm

Close, but don't bother with Death and Rebirth; there's effectively nothing in it that isn't also in the director's cut episodes and End of Evangelion.

Jornophelanthas
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Jornophelanthas » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:33 pm

View Original Postflyingeagle666 wrote:Lol

I'm not sure if I am less or more confused guys ;) lol

Okay
So I watch in order after completing 1-26 of neon genesis

director's cut 21-24
death rebirth
end of evangelion

is this right then lol??

Death & Rebirth is optional. However, if you are going to watch End of Evangelion, you should stick with only the first half of Death & Rebirth (i.e. "Death"). There's a credit roll in the middle, so you'll know where to stop.

("Rebirth" is basically the first 30 minutes of End of Evangelion with inferior image quality.)

Galaxy News Reidio
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Galaxy News Reidio » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:01 pm

And after that, you can move onto Rebuild, and jizz in your pants every time there's a closeup of a hand, or a certain piece of background music is used.
Even in death, I still nerd.

flyingeagle666
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby flyingeagle666 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:45 pm

View Original PostGalaxy News Reidio wrote:And after that, you can move onto Rebuild, and jizz in your pants every time there's a closeup of a hand, or a certain piece of background music is used.

Lol the thing is the Rebuild was the first things I watched lol.
Eva 2 is my fav film/anime ever
Hello

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”