[LAEM] Three movies? Impossible!

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

JinKazama
Adam

Postby JinKazama » Mon May 30, 2005 8:03 am

If they use teenage actors then I'm afraid they are going to muck it up by turning Eva into a kids movie(since the central characters are all teenagers) it su*ks to watch movies like HarryPotter neither do I like anything of LOTR(except for the computer special effects).

And I can be sure to say that if they use teenage actors in the movie they will make it another sci-fi movie for kids, as what most of those ppl making the film cared about are only million dollars box office.

Though no doubt they have very talented artists making cool computer special effects, but for Evangelion I think visual and sound both play big roles but they are not all parts of it, having a good movie director who can aprreciate the philosofical side of Evangelion more than the others would probably make all the difference and in LOTR I'm sorry to say that they had failed to show any artistic tastes in their filming though the screenplay didn't gave them enough room for that but they'd have made it way better while keeping all the cool special effects.
--== P.F.P. ==--
Philosophy of Freedom Project
.... If The Third Impact is an imagining of mankind in search for the ultimate freedom and individuality, it's clear that The Philosophy of Freedom Project will be the only solution in reality ....

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Dave » Mon May 30, 2005 12:56 pm

The LOTR movies did the books justice, JinKazama. What you have to remember is that a screen and a book are two entirely different mediums. If Jackson had stayed 100% true to Tolkien the movies would have taken 12 hours and put everyone to sleep.
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby thewayneiac » Tue May 31, 2005 12:39 pm

Dave wrote:The LOTR movies did the books justice, JinKazama. What you have to remember is that a screen and a book are two entirely different mediums. If Jackson had stayed 100% true to Tolkien the movies would have taken 12 hours and put everyone to sleep.

While I enjoyed the movies, they could have been a lot better. Your main point is correct; the essense of filmmaking is to tell a lengthy story in shorthand, but I feel that some of the decisions Jackson made in making the transition from book to film were poor. For instance, his turning Denethor into a grotesque parody of the character from the book was a blunder, as was his padding out The Two Towers with so many extra battles that there was no time for a resolution to the Saruman subplot in the theatrical cut. (And they had to shift it into the next movie in the extended cut.) I find it curious that Jackson paced the story so that the movie that should have taken us 2/3 of the way through ended at aproximately the same point as Ralph Bakshi's disaster, which was supposed to cover half of the story.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Dave » Tue May 31, 2005 12:55 pm

How exactly did Jackson ruin Denethor? Personally, I felt he portrayed him as perfectly as possible. In both the book and the movie Denethor is a proud, arrogant, angry king who has lost all hope, (that scene where Denethor feasted as Faramir fought for his life was beautiful) . And yes, some of his decisions may have been poor, but I'm sure you or I would have made a hell of a lot worse ones given the chance.
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby thewayneiac » Tue May 31, 2005 2:16 pm

Dave wrote:How exactly did Jackson ruin Denethor? Personally, I felt he portrayed him as perfectly as possible. In both the book and the movie Denethor is a proud, arrogant, angry king who has lost all hope, (that scene where Denethor feasted as Faramir fought for his life was beautiful) . And yes, some of his decisions may have been poor, but I'm sure you or I would have made a hell of a lot worse ones given the chance.

I think you've mis-judged Denethor as portrayed in the book.

In the book he doesn't start treating Faramir like dirt until he realizes he let the ring get away; in the movie he treats him that way all along.

In the book he's genuinley concerned for his people, and has sent for Rohan even though he knows that the legitimate king is with them. In the movie he refuses to send for badly needed help and Gandalf has to send Pippin to light the signal becons.

In the book he doesn't break down entirely until he sees the approaching pirate fleet in his palantir and looses all hope of victory. (He doesn't realize that Aragorn has defeted the pirates and the ships are full of friends.) In the movie he looses it while the outcome of the battle is far from certain.

Jackson turned Denethor from tragic to reprehensible.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

rip3mwk
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby rip3mwk » Tue May 31, 2005 2:44 pm

Well... either way I think LotR movies were nicely made and put together in a great extended DVD set.
Nothing would make tears of joy run down my cheeks more than having Eva LA pull off the same stunt (plus the box office would be smashed just like LotR. It is the smartest move financially.).
Would you honestly want it any other way - to be honest, I would like three series films and a fourth (movies) film. I am making myself soo excited for that which may/will never come.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Tue May 31, 2005 5:46 pm

1 movie = a joke
2 movies = suckass
3 movies = slightly compressed; unevenly paced, but competent
4 movies = a bit long; no pacing trouble; room for new elements
5 movies = likely to get boring; entering "intrusive sequel" territory
6 movies = totally not the same animal, for better or worse

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Prons
Embryo

Postby Prons » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:06 am

anatrok wrote:Ok, so I'm fifteen years old, and by the time the movie comes out I'm gonna be at least eighteen. I like plugsuits, but I don't want to feel like a pedaphile looking at a 14 year old in a plugsuit.

Not a problem. Everyone else who watches the movie will also be looking at 14 year olds in plug suits. Especially during the scenes where they are the only things on screen.

coff wrote:They will probably wait to see how the first one does, and if it makes enough money, they will film the next 2 together.

Two problems I can think of though, is that not only do they have to find a good ending point for the first movie, and a second one. It'd be unwise to pick a cliff hanger ending if the first movie bombs like I predict it will.

Winslow Leach
Adam

Postby Winslow Leach » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:41 pm

I for one totally support the idea of making two or three movies shot similtaniously like PJ did with Lord of the Rings. Here are some of the advantages:
-The films can be releases six months to a year apart.
-It can be accurately portrayed that the story takes place over the course of around a year.
-The kids won't age too much as the series progresses.

The only problem with it is that studios will have to pay around $300 million upfront for the project and we all kinow that an Evangelion movie is a very risky investment. Other than that, though, it's the perfect way of making the films.

bioweapon680
Adam

Re: Three movies? Impossible!

Postby bioweapon680 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:51 am

Dave wrote:The child actors would be 17 by the end of the third movie, a noticeable difference. I don't really see any way around this. I am just totally ignorant of how movies are made, or am I right in assuming we'll only get one movie with fourteen year old actors?

One huge problem is that the actor that are planned to be used will be of European descent, not Japanese, and the names will fricken CHANGED.
e.g. "Ray" instead of "Rei".

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neon_Genesis_Evangelion_(live-action_movie)

As for the ages, that is a problem producers had to go through in the Harry Potter series too.

I don't think it can be solved unless some practical time freeze gadget is invented.

I'm hoping the movie won't get fricked up. I'm hoping for a tasteful and accurate (including ethnicity and body structure) movie loyal to the EVA anime storyline. (Sorry, I don't like the manga storyline too much.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0aQB4rNV_w Read the vid description b4 watching

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:53 pm

"Oh OH thread necromancy, I'm going to cooooooooooooome!"

but srsly, unless someone like James Cameron, Steven Spielberg, Jerry Bruckheimer, or even George Lucas comes along who(m) can throw in some mad, mad money into LAE, we're not going to see a single American-made, live action film adaptation of Evangelion in our lifetime

the only way I could see this actually happening with ADV paying the bills would be if they did a quasi-suicidial, go-for-broke, we're-going-out-of-business-if-this-does-not-profit-or-even-break-even-because-the-creditors-will-totally-pwn-us kind of project (sig worthy?)

if I ever get such mad money on hand, I might try to help it happen though
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Skullraper
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Skullraper » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:19 am

Can you imagine LAE directed by George Lucas? I’m laughing just thinking about it. I can just picture one of the angels as a giant CG ewok.

So when did LAEM die anyway? It’s probably for the best.
"Politicians should read science fiction, not westerns and detective stories." - Arthur C. Clarke

"Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right." - Isaac Asimov

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

Postby slothen » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:07 pm

One of the reasons the special effects were so successful was that WETA workshop threw their hearts and souls into it. Thats a good sign for LAEM, because whoever decides to bankroll it will know that LAEM will have the best and most epic effects seen before EVER.

The problem is, LotR had sold more copies than any other book in the history of mankind, second only to the Bible, while NGE is more or less unknown. LotR also is a classic adventure story, with heroism, action, and humor, where good eventually conquers evil, and both sides are easily identified. Evangelion is no such story. It is gruesome and horrifying, it questions our morality and the very state of our existence. Instead of our characters becoming heroes, they are tormented and destroyed, and are ultimately powerless to stop the calamity they've been fighting to prevent. If I was an investor, I would never expect to get back any of the money put into LAEM, especially when you consider the reactions to the original series and EoE.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby master_lloyd » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:53 pm

slothen wrote:One of the reasons the special effects were so successful was that WETA workshop threw their hearts and souls into it. Thats a good sign for LAEM, because whoever decides to bankroll it will know that LAEM will have the best and most epic effects seen before EVER.

The problem is, LotR had sold more copies than any other book in the history of mankind, second only to the Bible, while NGE is more or less unknown. LotR also is a classic adventure story, with heroism, action, and humor, where good eventually conquers evil, and both sides are easily identified. Evangelion is no such story. It is gruesome and horrifying, it questions our morality and the very state of our existence. Instead of our characters becoming heroes, they are tormented and destroyed, and are ultimately powerless to stop the calamity they've been fighting to prevent. If I was an investor, I would never expect to get back any of the money put into LAEM, especially when you consider the reactions to the original series and EoE.

Well sure if you put it THAT way...
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

Evangelion__x
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby Evangelion__x » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:06 pm

I thought the LOTR movies were a masterpiece. Definitely Peter Jackson's best films. I didn't really like King Kong though - that bombed, for me, but incredibly amazing special effects. I can't wait for Halo! ^-^

You know, I've been reading through other site's forums and they were arguing that Michael Bay was a HORRIBLE director; all he was good at doing was blowing stuff up. And if he ever got his hands on this project they would die. I personally don't think he's a bad director, infact I think he's great! Not for LAEM, I don't think that's really for him, but nether less he's not as terrible as people make him out to me. Remember Armageddon, people? >.< I loved Transformers, anyway.

bioweapon680 wrote:One huge problem is that the actor that are planned to be used will be of European descent, not Japanese, and the names will fricken CHANGED.
e.g. "Ray" instead of "Rei".

Yeah, I don't like that. Besides, Ray is a MAN'S name. =/

They could at least change the spelling to Rae.

Iron Rooster
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby Iron Rooster » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:34 pm

I loved Transformer! If Michael Bay was responsible for how well the action scenes went, then he should be involved with Eva. If he could help turn a line of toys into a good movie, then it should be hard for him to turn a respectable show into a great movie. Hmmm, maybe Michael Bay should be paired with someone if he ends up on the project, I think he was working with Stephen Spielburg on it.
STROOPWAFELS!!!!!!!
Don't trust a prince on a white horse. He probably likes to rape dolls.
Dumbest thread I've ever started

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

Postby slothen » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:50 pm

Michael Bay?
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000881/

there is nothing on his list that is substantive or even thought provoking. Its all generic action-entertainment.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Iron Rooster
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby Iron Rooster » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:03 am

^
I'm sure he sucks at anything not action oriented. If he did get involved, I'd think it'd be best for him to work with another person for sure. LAEM would indeed end up being lame if it was only Bay.
STROOPWAFELS!!!!!!!
Don't trust a prince on a white horse. He probably likes to rape dolls.
Dumbest thread I've ever started

Evangelion__x
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby Evangelion__x » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:21 am

Iron Rooster wrote:I loved Transformer! If Michael Bay was responsible for how well the action scenes went, then he should be involved with Eva. If he could help turn a line of toys into a good movie, then it should be hard for him to turn a respectable show into a great movie. Hmmm, maybe Michael Bay should be paired with someone if he ends up on the project, I think he was working with Stephen Spielburg on it.

Me too, I thought it was great action and story wise! :D

I think Michael Bay should just be in charge of all the action scenes and stuff like that... but he's not a bad story teller. He'd probably be interested in LAEM.

As for Steven Spielberg... heck, I'd choose Peter Jackson over him AND Michael Bay any day!

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:54 am

Bump because this seems to be the most relevant thread.

Hearing all this talk about how amazing Dark Knight makes me wonder: What's the possibility of the directors/writers trying their hand at LAEM? If they were to be a part of it instead of just those Batman films, would they do Live-action Eva justice?

Personally (though I haven't seen that first Batman film yet that Dark Knight is a sequel to, or Dark Knight) I think it would make LAEM EPIC instead of well...lame. ;)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”