[LAEM] It's all up in the air

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:48 pm

I'm not sure if David Fincher would want to do it either after the Alien 3 production debacle
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

JupiterCallisto
Lilith

Postby JupiterCallisto » Sun May 02, 2010 8:54 am

I've been curious on this for a while so I think it'd be best to ask it here...

Didn't they get Stephen Spielberg to look into the project after the first Transformers came out?

ran1
Banned

Postby ran1 » Sun May 02, 2010 10:17 am

View Original PostJKun76 wrote:I've been curious on this for a while so I think it'd be best to ask it here...

Didn't they get Stephen Spielberg to look into the project after the first Transformers came out?

I think the interest was certainly raised since Transformers came out, upping interest in giant robot live action films, but I don't think Speilberg himself was actually approached about the project.

Speilberg, if he had a creative vision for the project, would probably never have wanted to go through the double ring of fire of GAINAX, and the ADV-WETA partnership.

But David Lynch, Sion Sono, Kinji Fukasaku, and Stanley Kubrick are the only ones who could have properly directed LAEM. And since two of them are dead, and one of them (Sono) is supposedly involved already in another project, chances of LAEM being anything but an example of directorial mediocrity are very slim indeed.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby cat42 » Sun May 02, 2010 11:28 am

Not if Anno himself directed it! :asuka_thumbsup:

Of course the likelihood of that happening is pretty damn low...
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

AchtungAffen
Banned

Postby AchtungAffen » Mon May 03, 2010 8:23 am

Anno directing live action < Anno directing animu
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Mon May 03, 2010 12:31 pm

Keep Speilberg way from this movie, sorry but he has lost his movie magic touch after 2002. I don't want him to give us another Indy 4.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon May 03, 2010 1:30 pm

Well, Spielberg was kinda directing Indy 4 for George Lucas' sake. Being college buddies and all.

His War of the Worlds wasn't bad. Granted, the subject was about normal people running away from the action. (I mean, that's what normal people normally do, right?) And Tom Cruise was in it. Blech But Spielberg's handling of the components, both visual and character, was pretty honest.

If he was doing an Eva movie, it obviously would have characters heading toward the action. ("I mustn't run away! I mustn't run away! I mustn't run away!") And I doubt Tom Cruise would be in it. But I can see the visual scale of Spielberg's WotW being used quite nicely for an Evangelion-esque movie.

But I've already stated why I don't think LAEM would give the elements in the story justice.

SenorSquiid
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby SenorSquiid » Mon May 03, 2010 8:00 pm

There is absolutely no way this will ever be made. Seriously. There is no way at all to make it profitable. It's going to be expensive as hell to produce, so it won't be independent. To get the kind of budget it would require would require making it audience friendly to a point where it would not even be Evangelion. Not saying that Eva isn't something people would enjoy, but I don't see any studio taking the kind of perceived risk it would entail. it can't be done in a single film, and if they make one I bet dollars it would not be successful enough to warrant a 2nd. It's not unfilmable, but it's unproducable. You could only make it if you could find a bunch of people about to have a bonfire with a Transformers-esque budget and convince them you have a much better way for them to lose their money, but explain there is a very small percent chance they might make a small profit, which would probably upset them, so it really can't be done. It can't be done like Dragonball, as a cheezy lo-budget martial arts flick, because giant fucking robots and monsters everywhere, and it can't be done as a subdued character piece, because giant fucking robots and monsters everywhere. Worry not, we are safe.

But there will be abortive attempts made to do it until we are all dead, and long after.

But if they did I just realized the guy who did District 9 would be about perfect for it.
fnord

---
I will never stop trashing Magma Diver.
Ever.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Mon May 03, 2010 8:25 pm

Anything is possible if you can imagine it..... at least that's what my Society and Technology teacher says.

SenorSquiid
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby SenorSquiid » Mon May 03, 2010 8:27 pm

View Original Postbackseatjesus wrote:Anything is possible if you can pay for it.....

Is what they should have said.
fnord

---
I will never stop trashing Magma Diver.
Ever.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Wed May 05, 2010 3:41 pm

View Original PostSenorSquiid wrote:Is what they should have said.

Money is paper. PAPER. If you dedicate your life to a dream, it will happen.

flapjack
Adam

Postby flapjack » Thu May 06, 2010 4:46 am

This may be arrogant of me, but i don't think we'll see an ELAM till we see a Gundam LAM. And if there is a GLAM (lawls glam) in the works, point me to where i can camp out for firsty tickets.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu May 06, 2010 9:04 am

View Original Postflapjack wrote:This may be arrogant of me, but i don't think we'll see an ELAM till we see a Gundam LAM. And if there is a GLAM (lawls glam) in the works, point me to where i can camp out for firsty tickets.

It's called G-Saviour.

Welcome to a decade ago.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

flapjack
Adam

Postby flapjack » Fri May 07, 2010 2:27 am

Thanks for the notification, the movie was satisfying.

Maximilian
Adam

Postby Maximilian » Fri May 07, 2010 12:12 pm

View Original Postran1 wrote: And since two of them are dead, and one of them (Sono) is supposedly involved already in another project, chances of LAEM being anything but an example of directorial mediocrity are very slim indeed.

David Lynch isn't dead. And considering his most current work is being a cast member of The Fucking Cleveland Show, I doubt very much that it would be terribly difficult to get him involved with a project that would pay his bills.

... satisfying.

No.

ran1
Banned

Postby ran1 » Fri May 07, 2010 5:25 pm

View Original PostMaximilian wrote:David Lynch isn't dead. And considering his most current work is being a cast member of The Fucking Cleveland Show, I doubt very much that it would be terribly difficult to get him involved with a project that would pay his bills.

I never said he was dead. I said Fukasaku (d. 2002) and Kubrick (d. 1999) are
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed May 12, 2010 10:38 am

If there was ever a live action Evangelion movie being made in Hollywood, it would look like this movie here.

So why bother?

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Wed May 12, 2010 2:06 pm

The teaser for that movie looks pretty cool even though I know nothing about it. I still have hope for this movie, and if this movie does start filming next year then I hope we get more info at the comic con this July.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu May 13, 2010 8:53 am

It's been "Filming Next Year" since 2003. When the economy was much more appealing and studios were willing to take gambles on big budget entertainment (I don't believe we'll ever again see a studio pull what New Line did with Lord of the Rings- give a $300+ million budget to a relatively obscure director to make an untested trilogy of films in a genre that is unpopular with mainstream audiences. Pre- LOTR and Harry Potter fantasy was a box office poison genre. And to boot allow the director to film these movies outside of Hollywood and out of their genuine intervention.)
Today Hollywood's focus for big screen blockbusters fall into two categories. Comic book movies and retreads of popular Western works. It's weird but right now movie studios want to live in a Marvel world. A Marvel world that happens to be set in the 80s. (How can one of the biggest films of the year be TRON:Legacy? A sequel to a kitschy- though effects wise it's incredible- film?)
I'm still quite certain any actual development on a live action Evangelion film is YEARS away. Right now studios are trying to spend less on their blockbusters and only give real money to films with a proven success record. (Hell, even the new Pirates of the Caribbean film is being given a few budgetary trims. A good portion of the film is being forced to shoot on soundstages as opposed to the previous three films greater focus on location shooting.) Anime is still a niche audience in the states and a studio is not going to finance a (minimum) $120-150 million film in an unproven field while they can assure themselves easy profits by doing Comic Book Movie #109.

Either way, if LAME happens now it'll happen. But it won't happen anytime soon. And disregard anything Matt Greenfield, ADV, talentless Texas voice actors, or some small time home video producer say otherwise, if there was actual development going on with LAME there would be serious grumblings in the industry. This film would not be cheap. We'd of heard something real whether it'd be in Variety, Hollywoodreporter, or on some other film based website. Animenewsnetwork doesn't have a pulse on the film industry.

So don't get your hopes up for a 2011 release if you have it. All the large scale 2011 releases have started production already (Martin Scorsese's December 2011 film THE INVENTION OF HUGO CABRET starts shooting next month) and the large scale 2012 releases are deep in pre-production at the moment. A movie of this scale to do right would roughly take 3 years from a finalized script & director hired to finished film. So unless LAME (it would be) starts serious production next week don't expect it anytime before 2013 at the earliest.

...Ugh. By that time everything will be either A) A remake B) In 3D or C) A Marvel movie

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu May 13, 2010 9:42 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:...Ugh. By that time everything will be either A) A remake B) In 3D or C) A Marvel movie

This gives me more incentive to break into the film industry. Somehow, someway, it WILL happen.

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”