Starcraft - Maps, Mods, etc?

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Vegeta 20XX
XX0↊ ɐʇǝƃǝɅ

[Video Games] Starcraft - Maps, Mods, etc?

•      
  •      

Postby Vegeta 20XX » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:01 am

I've just recently gotten back into Starcraft, and I cobbled together a map in my spare time:

Ludicrously Difficult Starcraft Map

Has anyone on the forum ever made any Starcraft maps or mods? If so, would you share them?

(also, Starcraft 2 in seven days - WOOT)
Avatar: Apophis' shifty-looking gaze as he invades the SGC.
Vegeta 20XX: Actually pixelated, and the self proclaimed "King of the screw up". - Fazmotron
The most awesome thing ever. Seriously.
I witnessed a young girl ohhh about 12 years of age or so fall off a snowbank then proceed to say "Fuck you snowhill that hurt" - Dataprime
For those who put things like "Chuckman x Chuckmen" and "Follower of the Chuckman x Chuckman pairing" in their signatures: All you need is fuck.

Gamer137
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer137 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:28 am

Seven days! WOOOOOOOOOOT! Been waiting over a decade for this.

I don't have any custom made content though. ;(

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:46 am

7 days! :w00:

Don't know much about map making though. Tried it in the original when I was much younger.
REBUILD ≠ SERIES! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK F***ING SKULLS!! :fistshake:
MyAnimeList

Xeroko
Forum Maid
Forum Maid

•      
  •      

Postby Xeroko » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:39 pm

"Hell, it's about time..."

This is probably one of my most anticipated games ever
Clocks and Maids
Don't believe in yourself, believe in the maid who believes in you! <3
The Ewan McGregor and Jaime Lannister Fangirl of EGF
My cakes will pierce the heavens!
Maidly Quote: "I'll punish you in high heels!"

[url]http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt111/Xero103/1297051910683.jpg[/url]
~=Gothic Lolita=~
EGF's Herald of Slaanesh

Vegeta 20XX
XX0↊ ɐʇǝƃǝɅ

•      
  •      

Postby Vegeta 20XX » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:34 pm

View Original PostXeroko wrote:"Hell, it's about time..."

This is probably one of my most anticipated games ever

Right up there with Duke Nukem Forever. I doubt that Blizzard is going to withdraw Wings of Liberty this late, but it could happen - hell, Forever looked pretty damn good and it got shitcanned anyway.

It sucks that they pulled the Dragoon from normal gameplay, but they ARE leaving it in the Map Editor, so I guess I "can return" in my own time. I just fucking hope that my computer can actually RUN SCII.

Also, it's a shame that you guys don't really have any maps or anything. I'm hoping that the level I made isn't flat out impossible - three Hive Clusters, a shitload of enemies, Spore and Sunken Colonies, and Defilers. Lots of Defilers.
Vegeta 20XX: Actually pixelated, and the self proclaimed "King of the screw up". - Fazmotron
I witnessed a young girl ohhh about 12 years of age or so fall off a snowbank then proceed to say "Fuck you snowhill that hurt" - Dataprime
For those who put things like "Chuckman x Chuckmen" and "Follower of the Chuckman x Chuckman pairing" in their signatures: All you need is fuck.

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:46 pm

View Original PostVegeta 20XX wrote:Also, it's a shame that you guys don't really have any maps or anything. I'm hoping that the level I made isn't flat out impossible - three Hive Clusters, a shitload of enemies, Spore and Sunken Colonies, and Defilers. Lots of Defilers.

I would not go that far to say that: I made a couple of maps back during late middle school - early high school. The one map that I wanted to make as my magnum opus was really huge, featured slightly buffed-up units, and took place sometime during the first game. The problem is that it's partly unfinished, it's mostly empty, and the writing and plot is sub-par compared to what I am capable of right now. I wanted to finish it, but then Evangelion came along...

I'll try out your map some time, though with such huge odds against you in the beginning, I'm not sure how I'd fare.

Oh yeah, and I can't wait for Starcraft II! It'll be interesting how I'll be able to use the Thor when the first game comes out!

Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Avatar of Dreams » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:53 am

View Original PostVegeta 20XX wrote:Also, it's a shame that you guys don't really have any maps or anything. I'm hoping that the level I made isn't flat out impossible - three Hive Clusters, a shitload of enemies, Spore and Sunken Colonies, and Defilers. Lots of Defilers.

I just played your map. Standard AI does not use defilers well, kept plagueing my scvs and throwing up dark swarms in random areas. It was fairly easy for me just to attack move stim into the base with 5 control groups of +3/+3 upgraded medic+marine.

Also standard AI does not rebuild destroyed buildings so after you kill the hive base, it just sits there and does nothing.

A few map building tips:
-Make minerals formation into an arc, not a cluster. This allows optimal mining conditions (unless of course you want mining to be hard on the player).
-Player bases should have a choke of some kind. Not so important against dumb AI that just does suicide attacks but in any player v.s. player situation, it allows easier defense until the player is ready to move out and take riskier expansions.

And yea, Starcraft 2 almost here, yay!

Velefor
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Velefor » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:02 am

Few more days and decade long waiting will be over. So I wouldn't be able to get my copy of it until I visit Moscow in the middle of august. :shinchair:

By the way, is it true that single player would also require monthly fee ?
"The only frontier that has ever existed is the self."
- Helios, DE:IW
"Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude."
- Michel Eyquem de Montaigne

Xeroko
Forum Maid
Forum Maid

•      
  •      

Postby Xeroko » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:05 am

The day it comes out is the first day after I finish my summer class, and I don't have work, so needless to say I will vanish that day and show up randomly somewhere in the everglades.
Clocks and Maids

~=Gothic Lolita=~
EGF's Herald of Slaanesh

Gamer137
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer137 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:08 pm

View Original PostXeroko wrote:The day it comes out is the first day after I finish my summer class, and I don't have work, so needless to say I will vanish that day and show up randomly somewhere in the everglades.

Lucky you. I am buying a digital copy, which will start being sold around 10AM that day, but I still have school till noon, and twenty minute travel time, and install time.

Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Avatar of Dreams » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:45 pm

View Original PostVelefor wrote:Few more days and decade long waiting will be over. So I wouldn't be able to get my copy of it until I visit Moscow in the middle of august.

By the way, is it true that single player would also require monthly fee ?

You can buy a digital copy from battle.net you know.

Single player requires a one time connection to battle.net to verify your copy and then you can play offline all you want (no charge). Multiplayer requires a constant connection to battle.net (no LAN because blizzard is stupid).

Gamer137
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer137 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:48 pm

View Original PostAvatar of Dreams wrote:You can buy a digital copy from battle.net you know.

Single player requires a one time connection to battle.net to verify your copy and then you can play offline all you want (no charge). Multiplayer requires a constant connection to battle.net (no LAN because blizzard is stupid).

Now, I was only eight or so when Starcraft came out and I was not a part of the 90s LAN craze, but how is a private B.net match different from a LAN match? Even if everyone wants to stay in the same house, they can share a wireless router.

I will admit it is stupid to not add a simple standard gaming feature, so I'm not defending Blizzard.

Velefor
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Velefor » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:40 pm

View Original PostAvatar of Dreams wrote:Single player requires a one time connection to battle.net to verify your copy and then you can play offline all you want (no charge).

If that is the case I don't even need to buy anything in order to play single player. Russian piracy is pretty efficient and quick working. They would certainly post a few hacked versions in a couple of days after official release.

Though I will still follow your advice and buy a digital copy because I love online battle and definitely want to conquer the battle.net

Gamer137 wrote:I will admit it is stupid to not add a simple standard gaming feature

It sure is. I will miss LAN games.
"Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude."

Starasp
Lilith

Re: Starcraft - Maps, Mods, etc?

•      
  •      

Postby Starasp » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:42 pm

View Original PostVegeta 20XX wrote:

(also, Starcraft 2 in seven days - WOOT)

AND I HAVE NO MONEY!!!

:asuka_sad:
My handwriting is atrocious, so I cannot sign my signature. Sorry for any trouble this may cause.

"We do not experience fear, but we understand how it affects you." -Legion

"The point is that I am now a perfectly safe penguin, and my colleague here is rapidly running out of limbs!" - Ford Prefect, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:07 pm

South Korea is going to fucking explode

Vegeta 20XX
XX0↊ ɐʇǝƃǝɅ

•      
  •      

Postby Vegeta 20XX » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:03 pm

View Original PostAvatar of Dreams wrote:I just played your map. Standard AI does not use defilers well, kept plagueing my scvs and throwing up dark swarms in random areas. It was fairly easy for me just to attack move stim into the base with 5 control groups of +3/+3 upgraded medic+marine.

Also standard AI does not rebuild destroyed buildings so after you kill the hive base, it just sits there and does nothing.

A few map building tips:
-Make minerals formation into an arc, not a cluster. This allows optimal mining conditions (unless of course you want mining to be hard on the player).
-Player bases should have a choke of some kind. Not so important against dumb AI that just does suicide attacks but in any player v.s. player situation, it allows easier defense until the player is ready to move out and take riskier expansions.

Well, I'm going to have to look at other sources to figure out how to make more complex AI for this map. As far as minerals are concerned, I sure as hell don't want to make mining EASY, and the base isn't supposed to be well defended at all, requiring the player to build a base quickly. The map isn't really made for player vs. player matches, though.

View Original Postbackseatjesus wrote:South Korea is going to fucking explode

...and that's how North Korea defeated it's southern counterpart. It was a Zerg vs. Protoss match.

Velefor
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Velefor » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:07 pm

Just played across first two campaign missions in SC II. God, it's ten times cooler then I have expected! Blizzard I love you guys I really do for making such quality games.

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:50 pm

Got it, playing it, probably won't see light of the sun for a while.
REBUILD ≠ SERIES! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK F***ING SKULLS!! :fistshake:
MyAnimeList

Xeroko
Forum Maid
Forum Maid

•      
  •      

Postby Xeroko » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:31 am

My compute can just barely run it thankfully, also the collector's edition is pretty rad, and quite heavy...

The game is amazing though, I'm loving it so far.
Clocks and Maids

~=Gothic Lolita=~
EGF's Herald of Slaanesh

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”