Final Fantasy series

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:35 pm

What Do You Want To See In The Next FF?

Game that isn't piece of shit. That'll work as refreshing change.

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:54 pm

I don't think there should be another one. In fact, they ought to burn every copy of all the games aside from the first, time travelling back to prevent their very existence, before committing mass suicide and rendering the copyright eternal to ensure that the title actually makes sense.
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:57 pm

That's a little harsh.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:11 pm

View Original Postnervshatter wrote:I would love it if they released more in the same style as 4,5, and 6 If Capcom can keep releasing 8 bit Megaman's than why cant Square?

Because the people that made those games have moved on and the focus of the series has changed completely in the turnover and the success of FF7 (the first one they actually fucking advertised worth a damn, go figure). For their target market FF is now synonymous with overwrought CG nonsense, endless cutscenes and introducing ridiculous new gameplay systems every game. The only place to get the classic style now is in the projects they farm out to other studios for handhelds and phone aps.

That said, FF Dimensions doesn't look too bad. I get a phone upgrade next month so maybe I'll be picking that up soon.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Redtophat » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:59 pm

Yamato Damashii!

nervshatter
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby nervshatter » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:10 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Because the people that made those games have moved on and the focus of the series has changed completely in the turnover and the success of FF7 (the first one they actually fucking advertised worth a damn, go figure). For their target market FF is now synonymous with overwrought CG nonsense, endless cutscenes and introducing ridiculous new gameplay systems every game. The only place to get the classic style now is in the projects they farm out to other studios for handhelds and phone aps.

That said, FF Dimensions doesn't look too bad. I get a phone upgrade next month so maybe I'll be picking that up soon.

Unfortunately I'm not too big on handheld gaming so I doubt i'll ever play Dimensions or any other one available on those systems, I agree with everything else you wrote I never really got into the changes to the gameplay system or to the series overall, hell last FF I truly played was 9.
Last edited by nervshatter on Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:16 pm

As a huge fan of the FF series myself (as if my avatar wasn't proof enough :lol: ) , I don't have a lot of qualms about what comes out next for the series, and this is coming from a guy who thought FFXIII was fine, and I really liked FFXIII-2, especially the DLC. Yes, it wasn't the best game, but it wasn't the worst game either. Come on, who doesn't agree that Lightning is probably one of the better Female characters to come out of the series. :)

I personally own all of the Final Fantasy games in some form or another, except FFXI and FFXIV, so I can't really complain about them.

For me, I personally hope that they plan to remake FFV and FFVI for the 3DS. Come on, they did remakes for the first 4 games, why stop at FFIV? People would spend their life savings in these remakes, cause they're some of the best entries in the series!
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:23 pm

View Original Postnervshatter wrote:Unfortunately I'm not too big on handheld gaming so I doubt i'll ever play Dimensions or any other one available on those systems, I agree with everything else you wrote I never really got into the changes to the gameplay system or to the series overall, hell last FF I truly played was 9.

That's a shame, because handhelds (specifically DS/3DS) are were the classic gameplay lives these days. Honestly the tactical and old-school RPGs are perfect for handhelds, being great time-fillers when you're stuck somewhere tedious like on a train, waiting in line, or just taking a bathroom break. I generally don't give a shit about consoles anymore. The Wii was the last console I bought and I largely was disappointed, finding the vast majority of my time with it spent on downloadables and ignoring the 'real' games.

FF9 was the last game of the main series I've played, 8 was the last one I bothered to complete and 6 is the last one I had enough desire to replay to not trade it back in at Gamestop.

xanderkh wrote:For me, I personally hope that they plan to remake FFV and FFVI for the 3DS. Come on, they did remakes for the first 4 games, why stop at FFIV? People would spend their life savings in these remakes, cause they're some of the best entries in the series!

I think you're confused, man. Square just licensed and published these; They had no hand in development at all, which is why they aren't the same overdone emo melodrama bullshit they make everything into lately.

FF1&2, 4, 5, and 6 were remade for GBA by TOSE, the same development studio SE had do the collected remakes of 1&2, 4&CT, 5&6 for PS1 and more recently did the DS remake of CT. They also are the studio that made DQ's spinoff games Rocket Slime and DQM series, as well as the the GBC remakes of DQ 1-3.

FF3 and 4 were remade for DS by much newer company Matrix Software, the same guys who made 4 Heroes of Light with that same game engine (and killed the line by failing hard on that one) before being put on the phone games line, including FF4:TAY and the recent Dimensions game. They also made Nostalgia for the DS (again with that same game engine), a charming little Ghibli-esque steampunk RPG that unfortunately devolves into a tedious grindathon after a while.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:32 am

Before they even think about making any more new games they need to fire Motomu Toriyama, and hire somebody who can actually write a coherent JRPG story nowadays.

Seriously, when freaking Damon Lindelof and his script for Prometheus is more coherent than all of your work combined, it's time to stop writing.

nervshatter
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby nervshatter » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:49 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:That's a shame, because handhelds (specifically DS/3DS) are were the classic gameplay lives these days. Honestly the tactical and old-school RPGs are perfect for handhelds, being great time-fillers when you're stuck somewhere tedious like on a train, waiting in line, or just taking a bathroom break. I generally don't give a shit about consoles anymore. The Wii was the last console I bought and I largely was disappointed, finding the vast majority of my time with it spent on downloadables and ignoring the 'real' games.

FF9 was the last game of the main series I've played, 8 was the last one I bothered to complete and 6 is the last one I had enough desire to replay to not trade it back in at Gamestop.

Well I was considering getting a 3DS but the region locking sort of killed it for me also did you play 7? I ask because you didn't mention it.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:13 am

What i would like to see in the next FF game?
A bit harder and more complex?

Also, i don't support the idea of making remakes from previous titles.
Just make new ones with different concepts/ideas and stuff, but make gameplay: hard and great.

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:30 am

Until they return the series to a turn based fighting style RPG I won't touch the series. XII was so boring and I hated the fighting system so much I didn't even get halfway through it before selling it off to Gamestop. That was probably the last console RPG I bought due to the fighting systems they use for RPG's now just keep getting worse. I want to plan out my party's moves, not run around and mash buttons. I just stick to my hand held RPGs now.

Unfortunately for the FF series I think they will go the way of Dragon Quest and make the next one into a MMORPG. And as such I will not even acknowledge its existence.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:45 am

Dragon Quest had an MMO?

Also Square-Enix already did make FF MMO's: FF11, FF14, and what's essentially a remake of FF14 because the original game bombed so hard that Square-Enix literally came out and publicly apologized for making it.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:34 am

DQ9 and 10 are both MMOs of a sort. Why the hell they went back to the convoluted and mostly pointless job system from 6 and 7 after making such great progress in 8 is a mystery.

View Original Postnervshatter wrote:did you play FF7?

Yes, I just didn't see any need to talk about it separately. I played it, beat it (skipping quite a bit of the side content like weapon fights, chocobo breeding/racing and the final summon you really don't need anyway), and traded it back in. Story was decent but I absolutely hated the materia system and as such have no desire to play it again. I could rant about this stuff for quite a while, but that should be enough for now.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:21 pm

Tetsuya Nomura not being allowed within fifty miles of a pencil and drawing pad, and writing that's at least a level above that of a 13-year-old.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:32 pm

Yeah, less zippers and loldorama :coffee:

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:37 pm

I'm gonna be honest, I thought the story was one of the strong points of FFXIII and XIII-2. Also, they had Lightning, one of the best female characters we've had for a while.

But that's just me.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby arkiel » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:54 pm

Retro art style. I don't give a shit if it takes 4 years to design a fully HD overworld. Eat a dick. Just emulate Mode7 graphics and sequelize FF6.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:12 pm

View Original Postarkiel wrote:Retro art style. I don't give a shit if it takes 4 years to design a fully HD overworld. Eat a dick. Just emulate Mode7 graphics and sequelize FF6.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU1W7b4B2tY

so good.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:29 pm

I'm torn on 6. It was a great game, no question, but it's also where the first hints of everything wrong with 7 was set up.... magicite clearly became materia, desperation attacks became limit breaks, and the more involved nature of some charecter's skills led to those limit breaks becoming annoying minigames. The cursed shield is also clearly where 9/TA/TA2's retarded learn your abilities from equipment idea came from. It also probably had too large a cast, especially in the proliferation of bluemage/geomancer/whatever variants that have to go out and find their skillsets.

8 was really onto something with GFs, but completely fucked it up in execution... because of the draw/junction mechanic players were actually encouraged to ignore magic and just buttonmash to victory in every fight by spamming GFs and tossing in the occational limit break just for shits. Yawn. Now I love the idea of espers/summons/whatever being what gives characters much of their abilities, but it should a permanent choice to bond with one, affecting the character's magical affinities and stat growth for the rest of the game. They also shouldn't be the only factor; each character should be not just graphically but mechanically distinct in their own right.

See, the thing is that when I play a game with multiple characters I want each to actually be unique and to stay that way. That's my problem with job/class/sphere/dress/license/whatever systems... give me some choice in how they develop, sure, cool, but don't allow everyone to be everything.

The perfect game for me is somewhere between FF4, FF6, Chrono Trigger and Saiken Densetsu 3. Give me unique individual characters with limited growth options bonded to espers that give them specific elemental/magical focus. Give me an evolved form of CT's turn-based positional/combo combat system with 4 charterer slots and the ability to move my characters a bit on their turns and with terrain features that actually matter. Bonus points if you can give me an intricate plot with moments of choice that permanently change the narrative's direction so I have reason to want to play it again beyond experimenting with different character builds.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”