Metal Gear Solid

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Re: Metal Gear Solid

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:20 am

Okie dokie. Thanks! ^_^

Probably gonna keep using Naked Snake fatigues (not in pic) until I can upgrade enough to use a sneaking suit or one of his other MGS3 type outfits. Oh, Venom's wearing the GZ sneaking suit for now. :)

EDIT: Ahh, I love the editing he did for this one! TPP "movie" cut scenes out: http://youtu.be/fvqeEYEtXAk 9 hours makes it longer than MGS4's 7 hour cut scenes as MGS Reddit noticed.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:13 pm

Get ready for HideoTube!

http://gematsu.com/2016/01/hideo-kojima ... be-program

It's going to be the new Kojima Station, and the first episode is now in the works.
[Redacted]

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:03 am

Also: MGSV avatars for 50 cents are now on PSN. I'll probably get Quiet and Zap'll get Chicken Hat Venom :D

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:18 pm

^
Nice. Too bad PSN requires you to make a $5 minimum money transfer to your online wallet.
[Redacted]

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:46 pm

I'm very late but, I have finished MGSV! I don't really have much to add aside from saying I agree with many of the complaints I've seen around the Internet(specially the never ending side ops, good God I miss Peace Walker) but that I still enjoyed my time with the game, although it's certainly not one of the best in the series.

I was specially impressed by the
SPOILER: Show
Huey story line. Went from an okay comic relief character in Peace Walker to an horribly broken human being in V. What an evolution!
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:10 pm

Metal Gear Online will be adding playable Quiet and 3 new maps in an update in March.

http://gematsu.com/2016/01/metal-gear-o ... maps-march

Some pretty funny custom animations are also being added. The first 2 maps look really cool, but I don't know about that third one.

Also I broke down and bought the Ocelot and Sahelanthropus avatars. I do not regret doing so.
[Redacted]

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:20 pm

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:33 pm

I put upwards of 150 hours into MGS5, beat every mission and Side Op, and I may even go back and try to S-rank all the missions. And yet every week or so, I still watch the E3 2014 "Nuclear" trailer and long for the game it seems to be promising, which is most certainly not the game I played.

It's hard to understand how a game can somehow be both really good and catastrophically disappointing, but trust Kojima to figure it out.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:15 am

Not Your Kind of People trailer > Elegia trailer > Nuclear trailer

:biii:
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:19 am

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:It's hard to understand how a game can somehow be both really good and catastrophically disappointing, but trust Kojima to figure it out.

It doesn't take a Kojima. This seems to be a common complaint with a lot of games, which is why I try not to pay attention to the marketing of any game I already know I'm gonna buy. (I say "try" because sometimes I fail spectacularly -- as has been the case so far with the FF7 remake.)
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:15 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:It's hard to understand how a game can somehow be both really good and catastrophically disappointing
I feel pretty much the exact same way about the game. The story was so disappointing, but the gameplay alone gets the game an 8/10 as far as I'm concerned. :lol:
[Redacted]

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:25 pm

Even the gameplay had major flaws - the open world is conspicuously empty outside of the handful of outposts and lacks flavor and variety outside of its overall geography, the Side Ops are hugely repetitive padding, there was very clearly meant to be at least one more area in addition to Afghanistan and Angola-Zaire Border Region, there are virtually no boss fights despite that being a Metal Gear staple, enemy AI is unimpressive to say the least, and any semblance of balance or difficulty in the game disappears once you gain access to decent gear or just Quiet's upgraded weapons. And that's saying nothing of glaring missed opportunities like having multiple factions on the map at once as in MGS4, or missions where you can actually pilot one of the Metal Gears that the game spends so much time obsessing over, or the ability to actually go inside Mother Base.

It's still a really good game, because the core gameplay loop of open-ended infiltration is just so well-realized. But it's also so hugely flawed and incomplete in every respect. Again, it's a contradiction that could only arise from a developer as ambitious and experienced as Kojima biting off more than he could chew.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:06 pm

One of Kojima's writers dishes on the plot of MGSV, clears up little besides Kojima's superficial understanding of Moby Dick

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:41 pm

With all the criticism/praise of MGSV I'm actually conflicted about whether to get the game or pre-order the much-hyped but-maybe-fail No Man's Sky for half the price -o-;
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:01 pm

Take the criticism in its context -- it only exists because the rest is so good that anywhere it falls short sticks out.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

GAP
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby GAP » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:09 am

Agreed.
Fall into GAP! Guernsey Adams Pierre

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:38 pm

PSN is having a big MGS series sale. Prices for every MGS game on PSN are slashed.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/metal- ... n=homepage

Too bad PO and PO+ aren't compatible with PS TV, I'd snap them up if they were.
[Redacted]

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

The Game That Got Away: The MGSV Game I Wish I Got

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:53 pm

MGS V is one of my, hands down, favorite games. In spite of it's almost crippling story and characterization flaws, and the fact that you spend a lot of time in some of the most inactive warzones on record (who the hell are all these Rhodesians and Russians fighting, anyway?)...and that the resource management system is simultaneously engaging and infuriating in ways that make it broken...I love MGS V. I love it to pieces, which is one of the reasons why it drives me crazy that I feel like it was only the parts of a truly fantastic game.

Just pondering it, I could see the sinews (from previous MGS titles) of a game I would have liked to see, but did not get. So, I thought of what I would have wanted to see in MGS V.

Having a stagnant warzone is not in itself problematic: many hot wars are currently simmering right now in stabilized fronts or well-established DMZs. This was true for the bush wars and proxy wars of the Eighties. So, having that element is not a problem.

The problem is, there are no sides. There's just Big Boss, and everybody else. It does wonders for paranoia, but, considering the anti-war slant that Kojima clearly has, it would have benefited the game to have multiple sides. War is a gray and gray prospect much of the time, and the Eighties, being a clash between the ideals of capitalism and communism, were hardly a time of straight good guys and straight bad guys. The Mujaheddin we supported became the nascent core of the Taliban that we fought a fifteen year war against, the the African guerillas that we opposed, while often vicious and freely using child soldiers, were also fighting against the oppressive and racially restrictive regimes of apartheid South Africa and Rhodesia.

Allowing Big Boss to try and navigate this murky world as a true mercenary, bouncing back and forth between both the Soviets and the Americans, being a true proxy fighter, having a fundamental impact on the war, while trying to navigate back and forth across the lines...THAT would've been interesting.

Also frustrating was the distinct lack of civilians and population centers. They gave an in-story reason for why they weren't there, and removing the ability of the player to commit war-time atrocities is not a decision I oppose (I actually applaud Kojima for refusing to give in to a temptation a lot of other games freely allow). Still, having civilians caught in the crossfire, allowing Big Boss's actions to either save them, harm them, or simply leave them to fend for themselves...there's some moral ground to explore there that I think the FOX engine would have been good for exploring.

Small unit tactics would have been nice, too. Sure, you're a super soldier, but...you have an army. And there's a lot of space on your helicopter.

You can't drop in with a squad? Or buy some twin-rotor helicopters to deploy some jeeps? Imagine a little tactical or strategy side game inside of MGS.

My heart...she yearns....
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:00 am

^
This post just reminds me how great MGSV could've been with more time/less Konami meddling(?), though I still enjoy what we got.

At least Death Stranding sounds like it'll be excellent from what little we know.

Honestly, I'm concerned what Konami is planning for the 30th Anniversary of MGS (well, Metal Gear 1 Ahaaab~) next year. More merch, I'm fine with, but...

That pachinko (I hate that I called it), man...At least they look pretty and not just dead soulless eyes like initially, but ugh it still hurts:

Stupid sexy Ivan... Play Arts Kai or Figmas of The Boss and Eva are a must, at any rate. :tongue:

Just sayin' hi real quick!

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:14 am

So, a listing for MGSV: Definitive Ex (sic) was put on Amazon and taken down. Hopefully it turns out to be Kojima directed chapter 3 and we were all rused.

Who am i kidding; it's probably freaking Ground Zeroes and TPP packaged together with maybe the DLC added by default god i wish i was aborted
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”