Goldeneye XBLA/Wii - Make it happen!

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Indigo Arcangel
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Goldeneye XBLA/Wii - Make it happen!

•      
  •      

Postby Indigo Arcangel » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:14 pm

I've heard rumours about this for a while now, but I only just looked it up. Rare had worked on compltely remaking Goldeneye 007 with improved graphics, which would be released on xbox live arcade. The title would be published by Activision, the current holders of the 007 license. Rare also planned and offered to release the title on the Wii virtual console. However, at near completion state, Satoru Iwata said that under no circumstances should the game be released on a non-nintendo console. Technically, he has no right or power to prohibit such a thing from happening, but Activion was aparently scared of losing their relationship standing with nintendo, and pulled the plug.
Here's a link to the famous Xbox World 360 article - http://www.n4g.com/xbox360/ViewImage-O117057-I117059.aspx

Here's a link to a petition, which currently has 32000 signatures: http://www.petitiononline.com/rare007/petition.html
I am also planning to write letters to nintendo and maybe even Activion on the matter (which may do more good than you would think, from my own experience - I still beleive that a letter from me was the mastermind behind the release of the Zelda Collection for the gamecube {undeserved smugness})

Please help this dream for gamers everywhere come true!
Last edited by Indigo Arcangel on Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Normality is overrated

Kaworu/Asuka - give it a chance!
(Clarification - I still like Asuka/Shinji)

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:41 pm

petitions aren't going to make this happen, though I agree that this SHOULD happen

that game IMO was the best FPS EVAR, no joke

however, a Icahn/T. Boone-type with a few futures contracts offshore who decides to cross a pump-and-dump scheme with an unusual form of ransom, things could get interesting :money:
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Hal, I think I love you...

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:31 pm

THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:petitions aren't going to make this happen,

I dunno dude. Remember back when TLOZ: Wind Waker was announced, and the entire Nintendo fanbase freaked out? It was petition's and complaining that lead to Twilight Princess and NOT Wind Waker 2.

Point being, if you bitch enough, even the stubbornest mules (Iwata) will listen.

that game IMO was the best FPS EVAR, no joke

Agreed. Laughably bad framerate aside, I've never enjoyed a FPS as much as I did Goldeneye (except for maybe Bioshock). It'd be sweet if they released it for Xbox Live with online multiplayer.
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

Indigo Arcangel
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Indigo Arcangel » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:35 am

It'd be sweet if they released it for Xbox Live with online multiplayer.

Not to mention hugely imroved graphics. And I think a petition would really help in this case - in my opinion, the situation really is in the hands of the fans.
Normality is overrated

ThroneofDravaris
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ThroneofDravaris » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:51 am

I doubt it would be any fun to play now days.
BEWAREOBLIVIONISATHAND

Indigo Arcangel
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Indigo Arcangel » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:22 am

ThroneofDravaris wrote:I doubt it would be any fun to play now days.

Are you kidding?! I just picked up my old copy, gave it a whirl, and it's STILL incredible!

And think how much better it will be with improved graphics, controls and framerate, as well as online multiplayer!
Normality is overrated

Zerogoki
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Zerogoki » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:32 am

Have signed the petition already, but what effect do Satoru Iwata's actions currently have on the Wii release? Is an all-or-nothing deal? (i.e. both consoles or none?) Or is the Wii release still possible even if the X-box release fails?
zerogokiru theories make Zerogoki want to hit walls...
#I've got a soul,
But I'm not going to tell you whose...#

"It was originally Happy Magic Virtue Shield." NAveryW on the heap of odd that is the Enchanted Shield of Virtue...
Brikhaus: "I would use Eva-02 (because it's red) to deliver toys to all the good little girls and boys of the world on a single night. That night? September 19th, which is Talk Like a Pirate Day."

Indigo Arcangel
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Indigo Arcangel » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:40 am

I'm pretty sure it's an all or nothing deal. I'm guessing that Rare needs Microsoft's permission to release on a nintendo console, and so the conditions are that it is released on XBLA first. Then, Rare have stated that they would be glad to release it on the Wii virtual console, as well as their whole back catalogue.

Preventing it from releasing on XBLA is one thing, but to prevent it from releasing on Wii as well...It's no wonder that there's been such an outcry.
Normality is overrated

Zerogoki
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Zerogoki » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:23 pm

Isn't that a little (or a lot) counter-productive of Satoru Iwata? I mean, assuming the intention was to protect Nintendo's interests, what it's actually achieved is to prevent a brilliant game (plus back-catalogue) from being released on a Nintendo console! :crazytwirl:
zerogokiru theories make Zerogoki want to hit walls...
#I've got a soul,
But I'm not going to tell you whose...#

"It was originally Happy Magic Virtue Shield." NAveryW on the heap of odd that is the Enchanted Shield of Virtue...
Brikhaus: "I would use Eva-02 (because it's red) to deliver toys to all the good little girls and boys of the world on a single night. That night? September 19th, which is Talk Like a Pirate Day."

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:09 pm

remember, Rare was the developer of the game but it was bought up by Microsoft in 2002

the current rights holder to all Bond video games is actually Activision

Rare blames Nintendo for not sorting through all this and putting it out on the Virtual Console
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Indigo Arcangel
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Indigo Arcangel » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:07 pm

Zerogoki wrote:Isn't that a little (or a lot) counter-productive of Satoru Iwata? I mean, assuming the intention was to protect Nintendo's interests, what it's actually achieved is to prevent a brilliant game (plus back-catalogue) from being released on a Nintendo console! :crazytwirl:

That's what sucks so incredibly much - the only reason he's prohibited this is for the sake of pride. I can understand being remembered as a company that turned out one of the best FPS's ever made, but I seriously doubt re-releasing it on other consoles Ten Years after it came out would change that.
Normality is overrated

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”