What are you currently playing?

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:11 pm

I've been playing Dead Space 2 this week. Although tonight I pulled Die Hard Arcade for Saturn off the shelf. Good times.

Ironfoot
Armisael
Armisael

Postby Ironfoot » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:21 pm

Command and Conquer 4...this game is weird so far. It's as if 29 separate people made something and then they threw it all together. No unified style.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:26 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:I've been playing Dead Space 2 this week.
What do you think of it? Everyone I’ve asked hasn’t been terribly impressed with it, so I’m interested to know if you feel the same way.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:35 pm

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:What do you think of it? Everyone I’ve asked hasn’t been terribly impressed with it so I’m interested to know if you feel the same way.

I'm enjoying it a lot. It feels like there's more emphasis on scripted events, and less on exploration. It feels more like an interactive movie. Although the added Unitology stuff is really interesting. The only thing I dislike about it is that I don't know who it is that's leading me along. I liked the way the first game established things, whereas the second game feels a bit sloppy in how it just throws you mercilessly into the fray. I think I liked the tram system for delineating the chapters, rather than the way they flow together in 2. I didn't even realize the chapter had advanced until I saved and noticed, "oh, I'm on chapter 2 now".

Overall, really enjoying it. Definitely worth the purchase. Hell, my girlfriend is enjoying just watching me play.

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

Postby Clover » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:52 pm

Currently deciding if I want to fork over enough money to hook myself up with a PSP and Birth by sleep. Zero good LPs on youtube to watch of it.

Have I posted this before...? I always get this weird sensation that I'm making repeat posts and threads are too big to search through. Oh well.

The Abhorrent
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby The Abhorrent » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:19 pm

Not sure if anyone else around here has tried it yet, but I've been having a lot of fun lately playing Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. It's surprisingly good, but very different from the various "Metroidvanias" which have dominated the (successful) games of the series since Symphony of the Night. The reports of it having derivative elements aren't understated, but it still manages to implement those very well. If you're willing to overlook those details (or haven't really played God of War), the game ends up being quite fun to play. The length of the game is said to be a bit on the long side for a hack-and-slash game (20-25 hours, even if you don't bother with the entirely optional trials & backtracking for items), which may turn out to be a good or bad thing. The story so far is progressing nicely, but is quite heavy on the foreshadowing.

The game certainly has a very old-school feel to it, very challenging and definitely unfriendly towards any sort of button-mashing. A fairly high focus on defensive tactics, and they're needed because every enemy in the game thinks Belmont is on the menu. As for the boss battles..... they're too damn fun. It's almost unfortunate that the Titans (those bosses which could easily be from Shadow of the Colossus) are so few in number.

Maybe it's just me, but I think this game is more than a little underrated. There some fairly good reason for that, but it certainly doesn't stop it from being fun to play.

Perhaps it's just a silly side note, but the Combat Cross is essentially the most badass incarnation of the legendary Hookshot I've seen in any game. It can be used as to attack (in the usual whipping style, both focused lashes and sweeping strikes), swing and climb from grapple points, pull smaller enemies towards you, pull yourself bigger ones (and turn them into impromptu mounts). That thing does everything.
He who isn't afraid to stand by his ideals...
Isn't afraid to stand alone.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:30 am

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Hell, my girlfriend is enjoying just watching me play.

Why, are you getting owned? :rimshot:
Voluntary Illusion.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:43 am

View Original PostClover wrote:Currently deciding if I want to fork over enough money to hook myself up with a PSP and Birth by sleep. Zero good LPs on youtube to watch of it.

Just get a PSP-2000/3000 used from a GameStop or something, they don´t cost that much anymore.
As for Birth by Sleep, I opted for Aqua and then I dropped it after the first World.
But that is just my little worthless opinion.

ShadowGT
Lilith

Postby ShadowGT » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:24 am

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:I've been playing Dead Space 2 this week. Although tonight I pulled Die Hard Arcade for Saturn off the shelf. Good times.

I would be playing Dead space 2 right now..........if it didnt keep crashing >_>
PSN: ShadowGT-R
Steam: Fatpizza20

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:26 am

Are you playing on a console or pc?
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

ShadowGT
Lilith

Postby ShadowGT » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:42 am

PC
PSN: ShadowGT-R
Steam: Fatpizza20

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:03 am

I thought so. It would be weird if it were the console version. Not to mention grounds for a string of lawsuits.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:16 am

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:Why, are you getting owned? :rimshot:

Not especially... The game is pretty unrelenting. The quick time events are more challenging than anything, because you have very little time to figure out what to do before something rips you in two.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:10 am

So, if I spend some special time with one girl, I get to date other girls with no repercussions at all?
Sweet.

It´s "Ace Combat, the Animu edition" time!
(Well, both are from NamcoBandai, so it figures.)
You get all Macross "stories", yay!
Fuck yes, Zentran operator, fuck that Brunette operator shit, I´m going deculture tonight.
You get to choose between normal flight and real flight mode where you have to turn and tilt your aircraft to get around.
I chose real flight mode because I am a masochistic bastard.
Stuff is bought from the Nyan Nyan store.
(Modification points, BGMs, etc.)
You get to modify stats on your Valkyrie(Missile Section).
(Kanji. Yay. Joy.)
Painting your Valkyrie black might seem like a good idea at first, but it really isn´t.
You can´t see yourself even if you squint your eyes really hard.
The "Menyuu" is in engrish, no problems here.
Mission Select Screen, you get to pick different timelines, too.
Mission begins(Macross F 1st Movie), Sheryl sings Usagi no Black sexy flag something:

Zentran Operator, I raabu yu.
(ENEMY EXISTS, lol)
Ozma Lee and [s]his Butt Slave[/s] Alto. Joy.
(ALLIED ARMY APPEARED, lol again)

Random gameplay:
You get to shoot incoming missiles too.
That´s pretty cool, I guess.
(That guy in the portrait on the right is me.)
Keikaku Dorii.

Xeroko
Forum Maid
Forum Maid

Postby Xeroko » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:22 am

Mega Man X3 as part of my MMX series playthrough
Clocks and Maids
Don't believe in yourself, believe in the maid who believes in you! <3
The Ewan McGregor and Jaime Lannister Fangirl of EGF
My cakes will pierce the heavens!
Maidly Quote: "I'll punish you in high heels!"

[url]http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt111/Xero103/1297051910683.jpg[/url]
~=Gothic Lolita=~
EGF's Herald of Slaanesh

liquidus118
Zeruel
Zeruel

Postby liquidus118 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:25 am

Deus Ex on PS2. I bought it a while back but never got past the first half an hour or so. I've restarted and am a bit further now, though. In the actual city.
The game seems pretty darn good so far, and very promising.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:32 am

View Original PostShadowGT wrote:I would be playing Dead space 2 right now..........if it didnt keep crashing >_>

At the risk of sounding like I'm hating on PCs:

This is why I play my games on consoles.

View Original PostXeroko wrote:Mega Man X3 as part of my MMX series playthrough

You're such a tomboy.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:00 pm

View Original PostXeroko wrote:Mega Man X3 as part of my MMX series playthrough

You should probably stop at 4, btw. 5 & 6 are obvious budget-cut letdowns and 7 is an unmitigated disaster. If you persist, however you'll find that, 8 while objectively just 'okay', feels like a prize by comparison to the last few.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:09 pm

^ Seconded, although X7 left a bad enough taste in my mouth that I haven't tried 8 yet. Nice to know it doesn't suck as much.

Speaking of which, I think it's time to dust off the ol' SNES. Maybe some Secret of Mana and The 7th Saga to start, with Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals for a chaser.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

MasonFighter
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby MasonFighter » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:59 pm

I actually enjoyed up to X5.

Minus the whole.. ACDC names thing.
"In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same."
"Wars are rarely fought between good and evil; Most are between one good and another good."

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”