What are you currently playing?

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Too bad I suck at fighting games. *nurses thumb*

Postby Killer Bee » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:58 pm

Just picked up BlazBlue: Continuum Shift for $20 at Best Buy. Been meaning to play it since forever.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:24 pm

View Original PostGalaxy News Reidio wrote:Turn off DJ.
Turn up radio.
Suddenly, best driving game ever.

I actually really like DJ Atomika. His voice is pleasant, and he doesn't say one of ten repetitive, useless comments over and over like in Ridge Racer:

"That was tight!"
"That was wicked!"
"Looks like someone got too close for comfort!"
"You got some crazy moves!"
"Watch out! Nitrous!"

Also, Ridge Racer 6 has temporarily stolen me from Burnout Paradise. Things are getting more interesting as I get into the class two cars.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:43 pm

^
Not if you´re playing the german version.

The german dub has some very out of place woman for DJ Atomika saying stupid things in a very annoying fashion.

Nyeeh
Adam

Postby Nyeeh » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:36 pm

Even though I got it for christmass, I've only just gotten round to playing Vanquish.

Very fun. I'm a little concerned though. Either I've gotten better at videogames or the AR bullet time makes normal difficulty is a bit too easy (I died very little during the whole playthrough).

That said, I'm looking forward to the next playthrough on God Hard.

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:40 pm

I finished Assassin's Creed 2. It was hugely entertaining just as the first one was. There were some gameplay quirks that was annoying such as locking on to enemies, performing certain moves, but overall it was fun.

Regarding the character improvement (gaining new skills, weapons), I didn't think it was that great. At least in AC 1, near the end you were unstoppable killing machine where in AC 2 you pretty much have the same set of skills throughout the game. Oh, and the weapon system shit was underwhelming, "oh you can steal the other guys weapon, but it sucks".

I was hoping Altair's armor would just be a costume to make you look like altair but its not. Also being able to buy Altair's sword (wtf??) but not his dagger is gay (that was my favorite weapon in AC1).

FUCK THE FEATHERS, I AIN'T DOING IT.
FUCK UBISUCKS DRM SHIT.

and lol at nonsensical story twist.

Plus
-good single player length
-"awesome" storyline
-upgrading city and collecting art was fun (not enough shit to buy though)
-hidden blade poison, very entertaining
-nice addition of moves (killing people in haystacks, killing from ledges)
-puzzles were very entertaining
-taunting enemies

Minus
-boring (nonexistent) development of character's fighting ability
-shitty side characters who pretend to do shit but really make me do everything.
-still can't get me to use whores, thieves, mercenaries when I can simply murder everyone by myself
-# of weapons in this game is stupid, only really 3 categories (sword, dagger, mace) that only range from shitty to less shitty.
-lock on system is utter trash. Makes fighting in large crowds unreasonably gay.
-notoriety crap, getting rid of posters and bribing heralds is stupid waste of time and makes me want to kill fat civillian women.
-why can't I manually aim my goddamn gun? I shouldn't have to be 5 feet from the bad guy to lock on, aim, then shoot him after he alerts everyone else.
-UBISUCKS drm system is the worst thing I've ever seen. Once I played for 4 hours then internet disconnects, say goodbye to whatever progress you've made in those 4 hours. Autosave sucks.
-drm on a fucking single player game. I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO BE CONNECTED ONLINE THE WHOLE TIME I WANT TO PLAY A GODDAMN SINGLE PLAYER GAME. This is even worse than the games for windows I had to endure while playing bioshock 2.

Conclusion
This was a decent enough game to make me sorta excited to get assassin's creed brotherhood whenever they feel like releasing it for the PC. Even then I'll probably wait till huge steam sale so I can get the game for under 25 bucks.

Oh and FUCK YOU UBISUCKS AND YOUR SHITTY DRM.

EDIT: congrats to myself for making the longest goddamn post in my EGF career.

EDIT2: I should probably give a vague numerical value of how much I enjoyed the game.
Assassin's Creed 2 gets a score of 7/10 toksters.
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:03 pm

Just played Phantasmagoria of Flower View (Touhou Bullet Hell) with a friend for 3 hours straight(Splitscreen).

SPOILER: Show
6 LIVES, ONLY MARISA, FINAL DESTINATION

Both my eyes and hands hurt really bad now, but it was well worth it.

Maybe I should get Scarlet Weather Rhapsody for the netplay.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:55 pm

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood.

Awesome, but over too quickly. I'll check out multiplayer in the next few days and what that's all about.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:28 am

The unofficial sequel to Chrono Trigger, Flames of Eternity.

It is actually quite good. I have a mental list of spit-and-polish requests, but when you arrive at your sixth hour of playing a hacked rom, you have to admit something has been done right.

The author, I understand, adapted the game from game playthroughs of unreleased Crimson Echoes.

On a completely unrelated note, Square-Enix can eat a bag of dicks.

bigbadtyrant
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby bigbadtyrant » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:37 am

Medieval 2: total war, rocking the english campaign
the game is from 07 but is still awesome due to its replyability :grin:

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:14 pm

^
Medieval is kickass but right now I'm playing...Empire Total War. Heh...I just love being able to conquer the world with the Dutch.
Movin' Right Along

Tokpile Quohog

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:49 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote:Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood.

Awesome, but over too quickly. I'll check out multiplayer in the next few days and what that's all about.

Was the single player shorter than AC2? Is the story better or worse than AC2? Did they try to improve the combat system or is it the same?
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

MasonFighter
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby MasonFighter » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:24 pm

View Original Postarkiel wrote:The unofficial sequel to Chrono Trigger, Flames of Eternity.

I may pick this up. I'd never even heard of it before, but I played through the original 4 or 5 times, so.
"In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same."
"Wars are rarely fought between good and evil; Most are between one good and another good."

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:26 pm

I'm currently playing through Killap's Fallout 2 Restoration Project mod again as I have numerous times, it fixes most of the bugs in the original Fallout 2, adds cut-content and adds some mods that complement it like allowing your NPC companions to wear certain armours.

Other games I've been playing recently include: BattleField: Bad Company 2, though I hate what they've done to the class system, just doesn't seem right. Gonna do another playthrough of Fallout: NV, complete Dead Rising 2, Just Cause 2 and perhaps try and get BlazBlue: Continuum Shift.

But my college work comes first so...

liquidus118
Zeruel
Zeruel

Re: Too bad I suck at fighting games. *nurses thumb*

Postby liquidus118 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:32 pm

View Original PostKiller Bee wrote:Just picked up BlazBlue: Continuum Shift for $20 at Best Buy. Been meaning to play it since forever.

Thoughts on it? I gotta say I was disappointed. I presumed they'd make it more balanced than Calamity Trigger but it's a helluva lot more unbalanced than CT ever was.

OT I've been playing a lot of Fallout New Vegas lately, and am loving it. Never really enjoyed Fallout 3 for some reason (Whenever anyone describes their time playing it they seem to have been playing a completely different game it seems, so maybe I just went a different direction to everyone else after Megaton) but a, thoroughly enjoying exploring the Mojave desert.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Re: Too bad I suck at fighting games. *nurses thumb*

Postby Tankred » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:13 pm

View Original Postliquidus118 wrote:OT I've been playing a lot of Fallout New Vegas lately, and am loving it. Never really enjoyed Fallout 3 for some reason (Whenever anyone describes their time playing it they seem to have been playing a completely different game it seems, so maybe I just went a different direction to everyone else after Megaton) but a, thoroughly enjoying exploring the Mojave desert.

Yeah, I've been loving NV a lot more than Fallout 3, I get the feeling I usually get when I play Fallout 1 & 2 when I play NV, due to it being made by the same guys.

The feeling that the Wasteland will kill you is back as well, especially when you wander off the roads... damn cazadors.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:01 pm

I've been playing NV too. First Fallout game I've actually really dived into. Haven't played Fallout 3 yet.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:06 pm

View Original Postbackseatjesus wrote:I've been playing NV too. First Fallout game I've actually really dived into. Haven't played Fallout 3 yet.

There are a lot of problems in Fallout 3, mainly related with the companion system that annoys me. I'd get the Game of the Year Edition if I were you (that's if you are planning on getting it).

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:39 pm

View Original PostTokpile Quohog wrote:Was the single player shorter than AC2? Is the story better or worse than AC2? Did they try to improve the combat system or is it the same?

Sorry I didn't play AC2 so this was my indoctrination into the franchise. However, I loved the storyline and single player took me about thirty hours (although I spent a lot to time doing side-quests.) so I would highly recommend the game.
Movin' Right Along

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:40 pm

I may actually try and finish S.T.A.L.K.E.R. : Shadow of Chernobyl.

Though right now I've just gotten back into Total Annihilation again; an RTS game that was released in 1997... Also gonna play some MDK 2.

liquidus118
Zeruel
Zeruel

Postby liquidus118 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:44 pm

Another game I've been playing is Beyond Good and Evil on PS2. I'm assuming that - what with that title - it's going to start pulling some Nietzsche on me pretty soon. So far I'm really enjoying it but have been kinda busy so haven't played too much of it, though.

Naturally 2 days after I buy it they announce the HD version for PS3, too...

I also bought Deus Ex for PS2, too. Played very little of it due to the previously mentioned business, but now I have some more free time so am hopefully gonna get through them both over the next week or so.

Fitting this in between Fallout NV and rewatching NGE should make for an unproductive but entertaining few weeks.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”