The Elder Scrolls Saga Thread

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Re: The Elder Scrolls Saga Thread

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:12 pm

Ahh, I'm so excited to have Skyrim again. The remaster is beautiful, and I particularly love the improved depth of vision. My normal build is a medium battle mage (Breton, one handed sword, destruction/restoration magic, medium armor, and a bow), but that seems a little bit too "middle of the road" to really take advantage of the roleplay aspect (it really is the most well-balanced build, IMO). I was thinking about doing it again, but once I actually made my character I found myself leaning more toward light battle mage (Breton, one handed mace, all magic types, robes/light armor, no bow). I have no particular plans for the order in which I'm going to tackle the quest lines, as I think I'm just going to wing it, but I do think I'm going to start the Dragonborn DLC rather early. Still not sure if I want to do a No Fast Travel challenge, but if I did it would be a helluva lot easier than Fallout 4 since Skyrim has horse-led carriages.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:21 am

I haven't bought the remaster yet and probably won't bother (as my Skyrim installation is quite mod-heavy) but I need to get back to playing it. My current character is a Breton heavy armour/two-handed character (yes I know it's not exactly the best build to go for with a Breton, but A: Bretons are my favourite aesthetically of the human races in the game, B: the innate resistance to magic is nifty, and C: magic is for pansies) based loosely on a character from a book I'm planning on writing. For extra challenge/flavour/FUN, I adjusted her height to make her slightly shorter than average (I use a more in-depth character creator via a mod) which makes things surprisingly different. On the one hand, I'm a bit harder to hit. On the other hand, I have to jump to pick up items on high shelves, which is hilarious.

One thing that does annoy me a bit about Skyrim, actually, is the lack of weapon variety- even with the Immersive Weapon Mod, you're still limited to "swing weapon" and "swing weapon a bit harder". There's a lot of different types of weapons I'd have liked to have seen in the game, notably polearms (the IWM does add spears and staves but in practice they're just fast, light-hitting warhammers) and "flexible" weapons, notably flails. I suppose a flail would have been hard to code given the fact that you're no longer dealing with a static lump, but even so, it would have been neat.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:43 am

Finally got it running. Except there were some caveats.

* Textures were upscaled but in the wrong way
* Sound quality is terrible, too much compression done for no apparent reason except to reduce the size of the game, thus some are literally copying over original Skyrim audio to SSE.
* Some mods may not work properly without the appropriate tool for conversion and uploading, which in this case the SSE version of Creation Kit
* Some other mods require extensive rebuilds due to some new file formats.
* Owners of SSE for the PS4 are SoL because although they have the best audio available compared to the XB1 and PC versions, the downside is that mods can only be plugins because of Sony's edict forbidding third-party/external files.
* Too much black crush in the color palette

Now the only saving grace with SSE is unprecedented stability, which means even if you spawn 5000 bandits on a mid-range PC, you won't crash but suffer only a framerate drop. Normally with "classic" Skyrim, you'll crash even with 100 NPCs spawned.

The only mod managers that'll work with SSE are either Wrye Bash or Nexus Mod Manager; I personally don't feel having better control with the in-game mod manager, but it'll be useful for cross-platform mod development.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:25 pm

I've got a free download but not in a hurry to do so... still playing fallout 4 off-and-on.

Last time I did a vampire Breton focused on light armor, stealth, archery, one handed (x2 swords), conjuration (bound weapons and necromancy), illusion, and restoration (necromage). After around level 60 or so I had to started branching out and it lost all semblance of 'build', and adding crafting to the mix very quickly made all challenge a joke. Legendary ancient dragons killed with a single arrow.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:53 pm

I dunno if it's because I'm quite low level but holy shit I never remembered Skyrim being this hard. Trying to get to High Hrothgar and out of nowhere a Snow Bear and a pack of fucking Werebears attacks! Every time I try to slay the beasts I end up dead, and going the long way round takes me to...more bears.

Fuck bears.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:21 pm

I currently have SSE but I'm just sitting on it at the moment until we at least get SkyUI for it, and maybe only after Bethesda delivers a fix for the sound issue. My main issues with SSE are that it can somehow look worse than my heavily-modded version of the original with the High Res Texture Pack and simple 2k texture mods while also running considerably worse, and the fact that some of my favourite mods simply won't be ported over because the original creators probably don't have time to go digging through their old stuff again to make the necessary alterations (RIP Unlimited Blade Works mod). I can probably get the framerate down by cutting out some of the less necessary new graphical elements and I can probably enjoy the game without several of my old mods, but I'll probably wait it out until these issues are at least mildly alleviated by new mods.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:18 pm

I recently got started on my copy and I'm having a blast. The only mod I've used so far is "Alternate Start - Live Another Life" to skip the lengthy intro sequence. The game is (as expected) delightfully roleplayer-friendly; I've enjoyed doing that thing I do with most games where I make my decisions based on what makes sense for the character in-universe, but this time it's with a game that's actually accommodating that style. After the first dragon-slaying, my character finally got his first chance to eat and sleep since the game began, because unlike far too many RPGs, the plot of this one actually took a break from the constant pressure of "You must go here now! Lives are at stake!" to give my character reason to stop and smell the roses.

I made a Nord named "Dovahkiin", by the way -- I'm looking to have the most quintessentially Skyrim experience possible. (And it's working; the Greybeards called out to me by name! :heehee:)
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:12 pm

That has to be the Nord equivalent of naming your child ridiculously overconfident things like "Epic" or something similarly obnoxious. :tongue:
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:32 am

Skyrim SE, random observations from a complete Skyrim newbie:

* When I take parts from dead animals, why do they not change? I just took this goat's pelt, horn, and meat, and the whole goat is still there as soon as I leave the menu. 5 years since the game came out and this wasn't the chance to make the game more cohesive? Without a touch like that, the game's own systems feel like mods rather than an integrated whole.

* It's a nice touch that the innkeepers actually show me to my room.

* It's not a nice touch that once I'm in a room that's supposedly mine for the night, nothing in it is marked as mine except one bed. Some idiot before me left gold coins out in the open on the table and the staff keeps such an eye on them that if I take them I'm a thief? Don't leave them there. There's a practical drawback to this oversight too: I can't use the chest in the room to store my stuff. :(
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:38 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Skyrim SE, random observations from a complete Skyrim newbie:

* When I take parts from dead animals, why do they not change? I just took this goat's pelt, horn, and meat, and the whole goat is still there as soon as I leave the menu. 5 years since the game came out and this wasn't the chance to make the game more cohesive? Without a touch like that, the game's own systems feel like mods rather than an integrated whole.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who found that annoying. I mean I understand why they did it (saves time on coding/modeling etc and keeps the gore factor down a bit) but it's still irritating.

* It's a nice touch that the innkeepers actually show me to my room.

* It's not a nice touch that once I'm in a room that's supposedly mine for the night, nothing in it is marked as mine except one bed. Some idiot before me left gold coins out in the open on the table and the staff keeps such an eye on them that if I take them I'm a thief? Don't leave them there. There's a practical drawback to this oversight too: I can't use the chest in the room to store my stuff. :(

Huh, I've never actually used one of the inns so far so I hadn't noticed that, but that is a daft oversight. Maybe there's a mod to fix that?
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:08 pm

After fiddling with my settings and a lot of modding, I've managed to get the game to run as well as vanilla Skyrim while also looking a fair bit prettier. I wouldn't necessarily call it a great upgrade, but it was definitely what I needed to get back into the game.

I will say that the SE has given me the opportunity to discover a lot of awesome mods that I never even heard of in the original, such as a mod that gives all books unique covers or a mod to add in tons of unused relationship conversations.

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:

It has always bothered me that random bits of food in the inn can't be eaten without stealing, especially since you can just order many of those same food items from the bar. You might be the hero who saved the town from dragons and vampires, but if you so much as touch that stray bread loaf you'll be a wanted fugitive. I guess you could just go into the dev console and change who owns the items so you can take them without penalty, but it doesn't seem like there's any way to do it in the base game.

One of the reasons I try to grind up enough gold to buy a house as quickly as possible is because until you get one there isn't anywhere to leave all your loot, and until then I usually have to make sure to sell any heavy items I don't desperately need pretty quickly to ensure I can still move quickly.

And I'm nothing like you

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:12 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:After fiddling with my settings and a lot of modding, I've managed to get the game to run as well as vanilla Skyrim while also looking a fair bit prettier. I wouldn't necessarily call it a great upgrade, but it was definitely what I needed to get back into the game.

Tips please. I've been trying to get the game to look better but the "Tetrachromatic Reshade" mod I downloaded (more like a hack patch, really) made so little difference to me that when I first loaded up the game after installing it I wasn't sure it had made a difference. I don't want to spend minutes let alone hours of my life tweaking endlessly to get marginal returns so I'd rather learn the secret from someone who has already succeeded at it.
System Administrator

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:02 pm

I just generally go to the Nexus Mods hub for most of my mods. Of the cosmetic/aesthetic mods I've bundled together this time, I'd reccomend:

SSE Texture Pack-Osmodius: Upgrades many in-game textures to 2k with minimal performance issues (you might gain, like, a frame but if your system is decent you won't notice). I'd say it's much better-looking than the 2k mod I was using on original Skyrim, particularly due to its much greater detail on most of the ground textures, although it's not quite as extensive yet due to still being relatively new.

Enhanced Textures Detail (UV-Tweaks): This makes a lot of paved areas, stone walls and the like look a lot more textured and less flat. It's great to look at and doesn't cause any apparent performance loss. Some changes won't be noticeable if you're not looking closely but I find it really helps immersion.

Static Mesh Improvement Mod: Much like in the original, this just modifies some objects like chain links or windmills to give them a bit of depth. It makes them look more realistic and less flat (ie: chain links will now clearly join together and hold up a sign rather than being smudgy or flat; a windmill has clearly articulated blades rather than 2D flat ones). It's great if you want to give background objects a bit more realism.

Total Character Makeover: This mod aims to make characters look more realistic. I can certainly say it makes them look more like characters in recent/more modern games. I prefer it, but I think installing this one depends on if you're fine with the original character faces or if you prefer the slightly upgraded ones the mod offers. These aren't drastic changes but they do subtly alter the general style the characters have- some seem a bit less rough now, although perhaps I just haven't tried all the different weathering options. I just installed this because it incorporates parts of the old Eyes of Beauty mod which I would consider a vast improvement over vanilla eyes.

And I'm nothing like you

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:44 pm

Thanks for the recs; I'll start trying those out. And yeah, I use Nexus too.

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Total Character Makeover: This mod aims to make characters look more realistic. I can certainly say it makes them look more like characters in recent/more modern games. I prefer it, but I think installing this one depends on if you're fine with the original character faces or if you prefer the slightly upgraded ones the mod offers. These aren't drastic changes but they do subtly alter the general style the characters have- some seem a bit less rough now, although perhaps I just haven't tried all the different weathering options. I just installed this because it incorporates parts of the old Eyes of Beauty mod which I would consider a vast improvement over vanilla eyes.

Now this... This sounds right up my alley. Just the other day I was walking around in the game and kept thinking about how much I'd like to visually upgrade the characters, especially their faces.
System Administrator

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:13 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Skyrim SE, random observations from a complete Skyrim newbie:

Unfortunately, you can loot but the appearance of dead game doesn't change. However, a mod called Hunterborn can change that by trying to make hunting and skinning more realistic.

That's one problem in that some houses have the entire contents of it marked as owned. However, if you befriend an NPC by helping with mini-quests, he or she'll be willing to share some items that you can take for free or allow you to sleep in their beds.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:11 am

Having a lot of fun with the SE now, although after using SkyUI for so long the generic interface is really, really annoying to use.

I did realise that now that I'm going to be using SE to play Skyrim for the forseeable future, I can also sacrifice my vanilla game for the Enderal total conversion mod, which should be fun.

And I'm nothing like you

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:28 am

I never played the original Skyrim (except for the intro sequence) and never installed any mods for it, so I have the benefit of not knowing what I'm missing when it comes to big, famous unported mods like SkyUI, but I also happen to be using a gamepad for the time being so I assume I wouldn't benefit from it anyway.
System Administrator

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:48 pm

I recently discovered something fantastic and had to share.

http://www.prequeladventure.com/

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:52 pm

Having gotten Mod Organizer working well (I highly recommend it; it's tricky to learn how to use but it is SO much more powerful than NMM) I've resumed my silly adventures in Skyrim, wreaking havoc on unsuspecting wolves and physics-fudging my way up mountains with my courageous (if diminutive) Breton character, Tan-Tan.

Here she is, staring into space like a muppet.

Of course, I couldn't just have a normal character- that wouldn't be nearly contrarian enough for me. So instead I used RaceMenu to make her a midg-

Arrow whistles past head

...Petite. To make her petite.
Here she is next to Lydia (whose skin is for some reason phasing through her armour)- and no it isn't perspective playing a trick, she's really that short- about halfway in height between the kids and the average NPCs. Which I suppose makes her a teenager. It also makes the game a lot more interesting- besides being smaller and harder to see (which makes sneaking much easier), it also makes picking up objects on high shelves...challenging.

Later on she decided to be cool and edgy by donning ImmersiveArmour black ringmail (very good armour if I do say so myself) and a completely pointless eyepatch. Bloody rebellious teenagers, intentionally impairing their depth perception.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:39 pm

I really should get back into Skyrim, now that I've done most of Dark Souls and moved on to Bloodborne.

And I'm nothing like you

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”