Currently playing 4: Guns of the Patriots

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:33 pm

Completed my first playthrough of Lollipop Chainsaw. An extremely fun game, if a little short and somewhat frustrating at times.

SPOILER: Show
I'm pretty annoyed that it looks like I'm going to have to play through it all over again to get the good ending though. This is a tactic that really annoys me about a lot of Japanese games; rather than make the game longer, they just make you play it through multiple times to unlock all the goodies/the best ending etc. It just seems kinda lazy to me.

Still, a very good game, and I wouldn't mind a sequel.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby IronEvangelion » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:17 am

I just finished MGS3. This time the experience was bittersweet. The game is still excellent in the story department, but after 10 years it is starting to show its age in terms of gameplay, game mechanics, and presentation. What really struck me this time (which must be my 10th playthrough or so) was how bad the animations are. Snake looks like a robot when moving around, and the lip movements for some characters are poorly done. There were times when Eva was talking and her lips barely even moved. The clunky controls and twitchy aiming nearly drove me batshit insane this time, I didn't remember them being anywhere near this bad. The bike segments with Eva have aged very poorly as well. You can easily tell that the bike is being dragged along on rails and the movements are so unnatural. Looking at it now I'm surprised they put it in the game looking like that.

Despite all that it was still a lot of fun to replay, and the story itself still shines. Now it's time for me to move on to Portable Ops, which I will be playing via an emulator this time instead of on my PSP.
[Redacted]

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:37 pm

This is taking up my time this week, instead of playing Ys: http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/17087/AGDQ-SGDQ-Games-Done-Quick/

A little sad we didn't get any discussion going last time around.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:46 pm

Life is strange episode 4: Dark room
What the fuck.
No really WHAT THE FUCK.
So Blue angel baby is dead, fuck.
You thought it was nathan BUT IT WAS ME JEFFERSON!

Normally i would care more about the fact that chloe is dead but she has died like 3 times not if you count alt!chloe, if the solution to the tornado problem is "chloe or max has to die" im fucking done because that plotpoint is so fucking overused now and doesn't make any sense because kate isn't being killed from what i can see, and we used our powers to save her, plus there are so few games where i get to play as a hella gay MC, i don't want to see that MC or her probably girlfriend if all this crazy shit wasn't happening die thank you very much.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:21 pm

Just finished Transistor.

That was a sad story.

"If I say anything funny, you just ignore me, okay?"
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:47 am

^I hear you buzzing, a fly on the wall...
In through the window, and out through the hall....

A lot of people seem to dislike Transistor in comparison to Bastion but personally I prefer Transistor's soundtrack much more than Bastion's. Perhaps it's just that I like the style of the music....
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby IronEvangelion » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:46 am

On Tuesday I went to Gamestop and managed to feed my PS4, PS3, and PS TV for $50. I bought Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (physical copy) for PS4, Persona 4 Arena for PS3, and Freedom Wars for PS TV.

Just finished Wolfenstein: The Old Blood tonight, and it was damn good for a $20 game/expansion. People say it's about a 5-hour campaign, but I play slower than some people and managed to get almost 8.5 hours out of my first playthrough (and I still only got 53% completion!) In terms of level design I actually prefer TOB over TNO, probably because TOB is closer to a classic Wolfenstein game. The contrast between the two was very interesting as well, since TNO's plot is technology-centric and TOB's plot is supernatural-centric. The final boss of TOB was really disappointing, though. Once I learned how to dodge both of its attacks (which are very easy to read and have a big wind-up), coupled with the fact that it's blind and only attacks your last known position, there's basically no challenge. It can only detect you by sound, so if you aren't shooting at it, it has no idea where the hell you are and basically just cycles through its idle animations.

7.5/10 overall, a great game especially for the price.
[Redacted]

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:58 am

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:A lot of people seem to dislike Transistor in comparison to Bastion but personally I prefer Transistor's soundtrack much more than Bastion's. Perhaps it's just that I like the style of the music....

Transistor was a slower paced, more thoughtful form of Bastion, at least in terms of gameplay. My problem with the former was the fact that the game felt it was necessary to pause the game after every encounter with The Process. This seemed especially counter-intuitive, considering how the introduction worked out.

I loved the art-style though, and Supergiant Games have always done a fantastic job with their lore. They're a creative bunch.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby IronEvangelion » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:23 pm

I've been playing Freedom Wars, A.K.A. Totalitarian State Simulator. Basically it's a Monster Hunter-style game set in a group of post-apocalyptic totalitarian states called Panopticons. As soon as the game starts your character nearly dies from a blow to the head and loses all their memories, which according to the Panopticon of your choosing is A SERIOUS CRIME! They penalize you for losing your memories with a 1,000,000 year prison sentence (no joke), which you apparently spend the rest of the game working off while putting up with the ludicrously strict laws of the Panopticon (you too can be sentenced to an additional 10 years for taking more than 5 steps inside your cell!) The goal of the game is to do missions and contribute to the Greater Good to reduce your sentence and gain entitlements (rights). By doing missions I've recently acquired the right to take more than five steps and the right to sleep laying down. Hoo boy, I'm really going places!
[Redacted]

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby Joy Evangelion » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:04 pm

Been playing the hell out of Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 for the PS2. Bought a copy of it on my birthday back in 2002, traded it in for a measly 20 dollars or so in 2009, re-bought it a couple weeks ago for basically its originally price. Also picked up a copy of Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 for the PS3 but I can't really get into it; it includes none of my main fighters from 2, and I don't care for the art style or the controls. Maybe I'll get into it some day, but probably not.

But yea, most of my free time is spent towards fighting the annoying, blocking computer with my "squad" of Jill, Sakura, and BB Hood. I can air rave pretty decently and I can actually perform throws when I want to and my team has a pretty sweet delayed hyper combo which is very satisfying to connect with. I thought I was actually getting a bit better at the game but then I went to an arcade bar that has the MvC2 cabinet last Friday and got wrecked by some dude using Storm and Blackheart and then some girl using Sentinel and Blackheart, though at that point I was pretty sauced. Doesn't help that my team is pretty weak, though it is nice to destroy classless players with Sakura. Such a fun game though, so I don't care much when I get owned. If I ever get tired of getting wrecked I'll probably start using Cyclops and Rogue, but hopefully that won't be for some time.

The games really renewed my love for fighting games so for that I'm super glad. Thinking of picking up Persona Arena or a Guilty Gear title one of these days, so I'll probably bring that up here soon too.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby IronEvangelion » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:19 am

View Original PostJoy Evangelion wrote:Thinking of picking up Persona Arena or a Guilty Gear title one of these days, so I'll probably bring that up here soon too.

Both are great choices. As far as Persona 4 Arena goes, I'd recommend getting P4A Ultimax, which is actually a sequel to the original P4A and not just a super edition. I recently bought the original, but I was a bit let down by the fact that there's only 13 playable characters (one of whom is just a boss version of one of the others). In Ultimax they appear to have nearly doubled the roster of playable characters, and if you want the story from the original it's supposed to be available as DLC for Ultimax.

Oh, and about P4A's story mode: Don't select it unless you really want A STORY. There may be only 4 or 5 fights on each character's route, but each route still takes about 30 minutes to an hour to finish because of the sheer amount of speech blurbs. Best wall-of-text simulator I've ever played. :lol: I recommend Arcade Mode if you want to actually fight, because even Arcade Mode has as much story as most fighting games' story modes.
[Redacted]

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:59 pm

My big brother Steam-gifted me new Sierra/The Odd Gentlemen The King's Quest series a few days ago :w00t: It's awesome, very nostalgic for me growing up with those old games. Play-style is similar to Telltale Games, which works for something that was a point and click (or typing commands -o-; ) series. Taking a little break from Ys because of this, but I'm super happy all the same.

Can't recommend it enough! Really hope they'll do Quest for Glory in a similar fashion--my personal favorite Sierra game! (Shadows of Darkness, # 4, was my favorite in-series.)

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:39 pm

GETTING MY PS4, HDTV, BLOODBORNE, AND ARKHAM KNIGHT TODAY!! I'M SOOOO FUCKING PUMPED!

I'm also going to a kickass seafood restaurant
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:09 pm

PS4 is seriously like stepping into the future. Enjoy it! :D

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby IronEvangelion » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:18 am

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:GETTING MY PS4, HDTV, BLOODBORNE, AND ARKHAM KNIGHT TODAY!! I'M SOOOO FUCKING PUMPED!

Enjoy gaming on a console that isn't based on 2005's computer technology. I know I do!
[Redacted]

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:40 pm

Wen't on an Nintendo Shopping spree today, I bought Persona Q, Shantae and the Pirates Curse, and Zelda: Oracle of Seasons.

Oracle of seasons was a game I always wanted to play but my parents didn't let me have it because they didn't want my fragile little mind being warped by 'magic' in my entertainment. I had to beg them to let me have pokemon and a game boy.

But I have it now, and Its been too long. I'm looking forward to playing it.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby IronEvangelion » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:05 am

I finished Portable Ops on Friday. Holy hell that game was so much more fun on my laptop than it was on my PSP. I did get occasional framerate stutters (in the comic book cut scenes of all places!), but the rest of the game ran at a blistering 20fps (which is actually the game's max speed.) I've now moved on to Peace Walker HD, and I'm already on Chapter 2 in that.

Last night I also broke down and bought Persona 3 FES from PSN for $10. I've only just started, but it's great so far as expected.
[Redacted]

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:35 pm

Bought Huniepop for the simple reason it was on offer, and it's exactly the kind of games that feminists would absolutely hate. I have yet to play it but I'm going to enjoy it simply on principle.

Edit: played a little bit of it. It's an interesting blend of dating sim and puzzle game. Quite fun and quite challenging, although I see it getting boring fast.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:04 pm

Just played Tales from the Borderlands: Episode 4.

Well, this was a mixed bag in many ways.

Major spoilers for TftB and possible future Borderlands installments  SPOILER: Show
Well, this episode hits you with a gut punch in the first act by killing off Scooter. I have no idea why the fuck they would do that other than for emotional impact and it's probably going to be very controversial, but there it is. At the very least the death scene was very dramatic and gives you various options to say goodbye, and I actually felt something whereas in TWD Season 2 death felt really cheap; however that may just be because of attachment to the character from previous Borderlands installments rather than Telltale's storytelling. The long and short of this is that Scooter will probably not be back in the next Borderlands game, and I will feel really, really guilty whenever I need to get a car from the Catch-A-Ride whenever I replay BL2 or BL1.

The story then advances by revealing that Yvette was trying to get Rhys killed to get the Handsome Jack AI in his head for much of the story, which I was unexpected and reveals her as a manipulative bitch in stark contrast to Vaughn.

There's more stuff from Jack which is pretty well-done, although like most sane people I kept shutting him down.

There was a rather humourous finger-gun action sequence which was cool but was an odd interruption in narrative flow.

And in the ending Jack basically becomes SHODAN. AI with a vocal problem, absolutely insane, in charge of a space station with a big laser, yup.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:33 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Just played Tales from the Borderlands: Episode 4.

Well, this was a mixed bag in many ways.

Major spoilers for TftB and possible future Borderlands installments  SPOILER: Show
Well, this episode hits you with a gut punch in the first act by killing off Scooter. I have no idea why the fuck they would do that other than for emotional impact and it's probably going to be very controversial, but there it is. At the very least the death scene was very dramatic and gives you various options to say goodbye, and I actually felt something whereas in TWD Season 2 death felt really cheap; however that may just be because of attachment to the character from previous Borderlands installments rather than Telltale's storytelling. The long and short of this is that Scooter will probably not be back in the next Borderlands game, and I will feel really, really guilty whenever I need to get a car from the Catch-A-Ride whenever I replay BL2 or BL1.

The story then advances by revealing that Yvette was trying to get Rhys killed to get the Handsome Jack AI in his head for much of the story, which I was unexpected and reveals her as a manipulative bitch in stark contrast to Vaughn.

There's more stuff from Jack which is pretty well-done, although like most sane people I kept shutting him down.

There was a rather humourous finger-gun action sequence which was cool but was an odd interruption in narrative flow.

And in the ending Jack basically becomes SHODAN. AI with a vocal problem, absolutely insane, in charge of a space station with a big laser, yup.

Not sure how i feel about tales from the borderlands having important plot details in it, i play borderlands for the crazy, stupid fun 3rd person shooter and the humour second but i still enjoy the plotline so it's continuation being pushed behind an adventure game with more focus on click-click instead of bang-bang kinda puts me off the whole thing.
I'm not the biggest fan of point and clicks, i only really tolerate it with life is strange and TWD season 1 because i love the characters and story so much.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”