Currently playing 4: Guns of the Patriots

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:45 am

Sure you don't have to play them, but you don't exactly have to play MGS2 to begin with either.

Calling it overhyped is kind of odd too, since MGS2 is one of, if not the single most, criticized modern video games ever made. It's gaming's equivalent to Evangelion in a lot of ways.

Katana
Banned

Postby Katana » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:00 am

I know about it, I mean the series in general, I don't see anything special about it, and I've never been good in stealth games, even in AC, I used to play it as anything but a stealth game.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:03 am

MGS2 is the sixtine chapel of video games

Katana
Banned

Postby Katana » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:11 am

See what I say. :lol:

Mt Olympus
Lilith

Postby Mt Olympus » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:14 am

So I bought Guns of Icarus Online a few days ago from the GMG sales going on and DAMN this game is fun as hell. I've only played a handful of matches but so far it's been so fun.

This guy got me interested in buying it, but didn't want to pay full price so I waited for a good sale.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaLLFVV114E

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:33 am

View Original PostKatana wrote:I know about it, I mean the series in general, I don't see anything special about it, and I've never been good in stealth games, even in AC, I used to play it as anything but a stealth game.

Assassin's Creed, at least when I last was into the games (Which was partway through AC2 before I just quit with them altogether), was hardly a stealth title. You could literally take on 15-16 enemies at a time and still come out victorious without much effort. I think the devs even came out and called them straight-up action games even, though I'd have to find a source on that.

Unless you're playing on like Easy and below, MGS games actually requires sneaking to some degree. What makes it different that other contemporary franchises is that the games uniquely put a large emphasis on its storytelling, which while it always isn't particularly good (MGS4 and Peace Walker come to mind here), the amount of material and the level of convolution (Which is not necessarily a bad thing) it has means there simply isn't anything like it. MGS2 in particular has a story with a lot to say, and there's a reason people started looking at it again in the wake of bills like PIPA and SOPA last year.

That doesn't mean you have to like any of the games of course, but they're a pretty unique combination of gameplay and storytelling that other game series simply don't do in the same way.

CX1329
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby CX1329 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:47 am

I don't know anybody who plays AC as a stealth game. Personally, I'm fond of mowing down entire small armies like it's just practice. Once you get all the upgrades and all the best equipment, even the toughest grunts begin to give off the impression that all their training amounts to a couple of fencing lessons they got for free at Community Day.
Sapientiam autem non vincit malitia.

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:01 am

You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:50 am

Played some Hawken, played 2 Matches of TDM and got MVP with twice with the starter mech.

Pay2Win my ass

Fun game, feels a bit clunky but that's an intended thing I guess.
Could pick up & play as a FPS fan no problem, doesn't play like a mech sim at all though, honestly

What I do dislike is that you have to have a considerably fast computer to run this properly

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:27 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:doesn't play like a mech sim at all though, honestly

Really? I think it does. Doesn't feel at all like any FPS I've ever played. What would you say feels like a mech game?

What I do dislike is that you have to have a considerably fast computer to run this properly

Odd. I can run it on max np and my comp isn't very good these days.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:05 pm

I wish I were good at Hawken. . .

Fuckn' CRT mech :irked:
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:35 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:Really? I think it does. Doesn't feel at all like any FPS I've ever played. What would you say feels like a mech game?

I don't know, I just can't shake the feeling that it's just like any other FPS, just in a bigger scale and poorer handling. if that makes any sense :|
In the end you just point, shoot and jump around, just like in any other arena shooter.

Yeah, it's a mech game, but it sure as hell isn't a mech sim.
But then again, what would a simulator of something that doesn't exist be like so um yeah nvm

Odd. I can run it on max np and my comp isn't very good these days.

On 1920x1080?

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Final Messenger » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:45 pm

SPOILER: Show
[URL=http://s1156.photobucket.com/user/finalmessenger/media/IMG-20130701-00443_zps9d89cdaf.jpg.html]Image[/URL]
[URL=http://s1156.photobucket.com/user/finalmessenger/media/IMG-20130701-00445_zpsa85830ba.jpg.html]Image[/URL]
[URL=http://s1156.photobucket.com/user/finalmessenger/media/IMG-20130701-00446_zpsf7315491.jpg.html]Image[/URL]
I'm self inserting the shit out of you Makoto

but yeah just finished chapter 2 and maxed out the Kirigiri social link first, I can say I love the game even more now that I actually am able to play it now. It's really fun to actually play through the trails now but if I do have to list one complaint there were two moments in trail 2 that had me going "huh" guess it was due to being a weird translation but oh well I'm just really happy to be playing Dangan Ronpa now.
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

nervshatter
Banned

Postby nervshatter » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:44 pm

View Original PostFinal Messenger wrote:
SPOILER: Show
[URL=http://s1156.photobucket.com/user/finalmessenger/media/IMG-20130701-00443_zps9d89cdaf.jpg.html][/URL]
[URL=http://s1156.photobucket.com/user/finalmessenger/media/IMG-20130701-00445_zpsa85830ba.jpg.html][/URL]
[URL=http://s1156.photobucket.com/user/finalmessenger/media/IMG-20130701-00446_zpsf7315491.jpg.html][/URL]
I'm self inserting the shit out of you Makoto

but yeah just finished chapter 2 and maxed out the Kirigiri social link first, I can say I love the game even more now that I actually am able to play it now. It's really fun to actually play through the trails now but if I do have to list one complaint there were two moments in trail 2 that had me going "huh" guess it was due to being a weird translation but oh well I'm just really happy to be playing Dangan Ronpa now.

VN's on PSP? how do you do this magic? I have emulators but I never knew about this.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:27 am

It's a game that was originally developed for the PSP, you know :rolleyes:

Not sure if there are any VNDS psp emulators but maybe there are dunno

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:45 am

M-M-M-Morrowind

So I took the Moon Sugar from Caius Cosades's table. He attacked me, and continued to do each time I went back to his house. In lieu of any obvious means of offering apology, is it actually possible to fix something like this or do I have to reload an earlier save to continue the game? Lol.
Voluntary Illusion.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:02 am

W-w-winners don't take drugs

Katana
Banned

Postby Katana » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:09 am

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:W-w-winners don't take drugs

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:27 pm

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:is it actually possible to fix something like this or do I have to reload an earlier save to continue the game? Lol.

Use the dev console to change his aggro state (pretty sure that's allowed), or a mod. Otherwise, yes.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:57 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:W-w-winners don't take drugs

Pardon?

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Use the dev console to change his aggro state (pretty sure that's allowed), or a mod. Otherwise, yes.

I haven't used the dev console yet, but I'll have a look. Thanks.
Voluntary Illusion.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”