What are you currently playing? [3]

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

Postby Kaminoyouni » Mon May 06, 2013 6:02 pm

Having a Blast with KH: HD Remix as I imported it, the animation are so much smoother then before, and altering the game to utilize the triangle button for speech and opening cheswts is a welcome change. otherwise, its plays just like KH:FM. Which I'm glad other US players are finally gonna be able to experience the KH:FM titles.

Blood Dragon was so delightfully cheesy and all the in-jokes and references were just awesome, and its has the most awesome tutorial in gaming history. Just wish though Blood Dragon had some replay ability, finding all the collectable is a breeze since they're all marked on the map, and the fact you do everything in a single play through with no sort of new game plus feature or even achievements for beating the game on the different difficulties.

As far as Halo Goes, I' haven't been on Halo 4 for a while. but I have a lot of nice memories of Reach, as for Halo 3 I only wish I could go back and get the last few achievements I need to halo 3 100% done. That and I've been going On with Gears lately, going back to 3 and hoping to finish some Achievement I still have left there.
Proud Member of F.A.P.
"A twenty-nine year-old woman having her way with a fourteen year-old boy? This is perversion! This is ephebophilia!"
"Ephebophelia...? This is SHOTA!"

WARNING: Brik is being incredibly awesome

Join the Evageeks discord!

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby CorporalChaos » Mon May 06, 2013 11:07 pm

View Original PostKaminoyouni wrote:Blood Dragon was so delightfully cheesy and all the in-jokes and references were just awesome, and its has the most awesome tutorial in gaming history. Just wish though Blood Dragon had some replay ability, finding all the collectable is a breeze since they're all marked on the map, and the fact you do everything in a single play through with no sort of new game plus feature or even achievements for beating the game on the different difficulties.

I really don't mind the fact that there's not a lot of replay value in Blood Dragon. It was only $10, and at that price it's like buying a couple of DVDs of terrible action movies that you're only going to watch once or twice.

Honestly, the only thing I would have changed is to add another step in the main campaign. I was liberating a few garrisons in between each chapter of the campaign, and then I got to the Dragon Blood Temple and was like "That's it? Better go liberate the rest of the garrisons, then." It kind of turned into a grind by the last couple of outposts.

Other than that, I had a ton of fun with it. Tracking down Dr. Carlyle's notes to see how nanites gave him ED and seeing what the rental VHS movies were were nice easter eggs.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Mon May 06, 2013 11:25 pm

View Original PostKaminoyouni wrote:its plays just like KH:FM.

This isn't completely true. Are you aware of the changes to the damage formula that equipping Zero EXP provides?

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

Postby Kaminoyouni » Tue May 07, 2013 4:59 pm

View Original PostThe Killer of Heroes wrote:This isn't completely true. Are you aware of the changes to the damage formula that equipping Zero EXP provides?
I haven't actually noticed that much change in damage, as I played on Proud in the original KH:FM as well as now. Plus I don't use the EXP zero ability, I'm not that much of a glutton for punishment.
Proud Member of F.A.P.
"A twenty-nine year-old woman having her way with a fourteen year-old boy? This is perversion! This is ephebophilia!"

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Wed May 08, 2013 7:06 am

Zero EXP actually allows you to take MORE damage than not having it equipped in KH:FM HD. Enemies that would kill you in 1 hit, even at Level 100, now take 2-3 hits (Which is useful for bosses like Kurt Zisa and Lance Bassiroth) at Level 1 with Zero EXP equipped.

From what I hear the damage reduction is a constant as well, so you can level the party up to 100, and then equip Zero EXP to take less damage.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Wed May 08, 2013 2:36 pm

As I looked into the distance, I could see the setting sun
I do not remember if the sun was out when I took off into the air
Do not remember what the fight was like
But now I just sit here
Clenching the shaking stick with my numb fist
Basking in the warmth of the sun
Gently swaying on the winds
With the smell of burning greenery and gasoline in my nose
As my commander shouts through the radio

The battle's over
The enemy has been routed
Return to Base

I wonder
If I can
go home now

This is what playing War Thunder while listening to melancholic post-rock(GY!BE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZwQeZh6rP0) does to you, I guess :lol:

Nice WW2 flight sim, but aerial manevers are a bitch to master.
WoT's almost child's play compared to this.

Haven't felt that exhilirated in a while by playing online video games, pulled a 5 air win streak in a single plane one match while dogfighting and dodging left and right, shit gets really intense

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Wed May 08, 2013 2:43 pm

Going for teh Rei, eh?

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Wed May 08, 2013 2:49 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:Going for teh Rei, eh?

You know I have a boner for historical vehicles

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

Postby TehDonutKing » Wed May 08, 2013 10:43 pm

I just beat Metal Gear Solid 2. Everything after
SPOILER: Show
Vamp stabs Emma
was easily one of the best endings i've seen to anything, rivaling that of EoTV and 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors. I also didn't find the ending all that confusing. It was weird as all hell, but not confusing. As for the Snake vs. Raiden debate, i really can't pick a favourite. Snake is a gruff, cold badass with a heart of gold. He is the archetypical action hero, the kind of guy i want to be. Raiden is a wimpy, troubled, Shinji-esque man who doubts himself constantly. He's the kind of guy i can identify with. I like Snake, i love him to death even, but i can't place myself in his shoes. When i played MGS1, i became Snake. I felt like a badass action hero. But when i played MGS2, Raiden became me. I identified with him, and understood a lot of what he was going through. Aside from his bloodguilt and past as a
child soldier,
i really felt like he was me.

If i had to pick a favourite for some reason, though, i'd go with Raiden because he's hot.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Wed May 08, 2013 11:02 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:I just beat Metal Gear Solid 2. Everything after
Vamp stabs Emma
was easily one of the best endings i've seen to anything

YES.

Come to think of it, there hasn't been anything quite like it in gaming since.

And in retrospect, yeah, it's a lot like EoTV.

I remember being so mindbended watching it. Mindbended in a way I would not be again until EoE a year or two later.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Thu May 09, 2013 9:35 am

I haven't played a video game in over a month. I'm suffering so bad from withdraw right now.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Fri May 10, 2013 6:03 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:MGS2

It's ending truly is EoTV of video games as a medium and genuinely impressive artistic thriumph in many ways, yeah, but when you're 11-12 old and English is not your first language I can assure you the experience isn't fun at all but confusing, scary, confusing, weird, and confusing. :lol:

Finally forced myself to grind through my second playthrough of Mass Effect 1 last weekend and got done with the game for good. Started a bunch of different games now but I'm mainly now focusing on Macross 30 which is, against expectations, fun as hell and I enjoy every second of it for the glorious action on its own. Add on top of that it being Macross and all and I have really good time with it.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Fri May 10, 2013 10:53 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Finally forced myself to grind through my second playthrough of Mass Effect 1 last weekend and got done with the game for good.

This proved a bridge too far for me, finally. I had been looking forward to Ilos which is probably one of my favorite areas in any game ever from an art-design standpoint, but the interminable slog that is the trademark Bioware midgame finally broke me around the 9000th shout of ENEMIES, EVERYWHERE! Maybe I'll return to it over the summer when I am genuinely bored as opposed to just procrastinating.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

sephiros
Lilith

Postby sephiros » Sat May 11, 2013 1:37 am

All the MGS2 talk made me go back and try finish Peace Walker. PW's fun, but the mech battles are a little bland when compared to Dead Cell, Cobra unit, etc. and just a pain when going for a 0 kill playthrough. All that aside, I alms=ost died laughing when I unlocked this weapon.

It's not a story spoiler, but if you plan on playing PW, you're probably gonna wanna see this yourself.
Godzilla never had an AT Field!!
You dumbass, what the hell else do you think I'm talking about? We're gonna combine!!
If the demon is truly big, then we are no match for it. It's irrational. It's impossible. It's against my religion.
Your victory was a Deus Ex Machina, ergo that cake is a lie!

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Sat May 11, 2013 2:00 am

I keep trying to like Peace Walker, but christ I cannot get past how un-Metal Gear-ish the gameplay feels.

It plays less like a stealth game and more like some action game with arbitrary stealth mechanics thrown in. Even the Acid games retained the stealth mechanics better than PW did.

nervshatter
Banned

Postby nervshatter » Sat May 11, 2013 3:45 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:broke me around the 9000th shout of ENEMIES, EVERYWHERE!.

:lol: You forgot "I WILL DESTROY YOU" and 'YOU MUST DIE!"

View Original PostThe Killer of Heroes wrote:I keep trying to like Peace Walker, but christ I cannot get past how un-Metal Gear-ish the gameplay feels.

It plays less like a stealth game and more like some action game with arbitrary stealth mechanics thrown in. Even the Acid games retained the stealth mechanics better than PW did.

Ironically this is what I have heard about MGS4.
*sigh* just kill me already.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Sat May 11, 2013 4:41 pm

View Original Postnervshatter wrote:Ironically this is what I have heard about MGS4.

Really? MGS4 is crazy-stealthy. You've got more stealth options than ever. Almost too many. Or maybe that's what makes it not stealthy enough.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

Postby Kaminoyouni » Sat May 11, 2013 11:03 pm

View Original PostThe Killer of Heroes wrote:Zero EXP actually allows you to take MORE damage than not having it equipped in KH:FM HD. Enemies that would kill you in 1 hit, even at Level 100, now take 2-3 hits (Which is useful for bosses like Kurt Zisa and Lance Bassiroth) at Level 1 with Zero EXP equipped.

From what I hear the damage reduction is a constant as well, so you can level the party up to 100, and then equip Zero EXP to take less damage.
Actually they redid the voice over for Sephiroth for the HD so its Toshiyuki Morikawa and not Lance Bass, hopefully for the English release they'll have George Newbern do some voice work for the HD Remix.
Proud Member of F.A.P.

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby MAGI_01 » Sun May 12, 2013 3:50 am

Playing Dust 514 right now.

Gosh this game feels so much better now that it's just about out of Beta stage (I've been playing since it was Alpha haha) With the big update for it on Tuesday it will be officially launched.
"If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid." - Me
"Has anyone ever told you how pretty your eyes are?" - Akio's most famous line.
Akio in Lance of LoL's Rebuild RP
Steam/PSN: MAGI_01 Origin: MAGI_02
Interested in a FMA based RP? Then check this out!

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Sun May 12, 2013 1:16 pm

View Original Postnervshatter wrote:Ironically this is what I have heard about MGS4.

It kind of applies to MGS4 as well. Kind of hard to want to be stealthy in literal war zones.

They do encourage you to use the "Rambo" approach in that game more than any previous Metal Gear before it. Gone is the idea of a lone figure infiltrating a massive enemy fortress with on-site procurement. Now we have mission structures and buying bullets from the fucking pause menu.

And sadly MGS4 brought to canon the kind of bullshit seen in cutscenes in The Twin Snakes (Specifically with Raiden. What MGS4 did to his character is unforgivable).

Snake Eater was the last true MGS game as far as I'm concerned, and would have served as a perfect conclusion for the series. Though The Phantom Pain looks promising so far...

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”