What are you currently playing? [3]

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Redtophat » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:42 pm

View Original PostJustacrazyguy wrote:The sequel(Book of Shadows) uses point and click gameplay.
That's good, I may get it if I like the first game enough. Only character that I have liked so far though is Seiko, everyone else are pretty vanilla.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:01 pm

Found Rhythm Doctor through azuritereaction's channel on YouTube. It's only in demo currently, but even that was pretty fun while it lasted.

Note: Play the game in any browser but Chrome. Chrome's version of Flash produces a bit of lag for some reason, and the timing for this game is very precise.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:48 am

So I noticed my brother picked up his copy of Pokemon Black 2 again.

Looks like the time of battle will (finally) soon be at hand...
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

liquidus118
Zeruel
Zeruel

Postby liquidus118 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:32 pm

Just completed Bioshock Infinite.
Enjoyed it immensely once I'd stopped trying to play it how I used to play Bioshock.
Whenever the game opened up and gave you loads of skyrails and enemies and loads of different ways to deal with a situation it was some of the most fun I've had playing a game in years.
The story was great too, fortunately the spoiler I'd seen led me completely astray. I think I'll be replaying it in the Summer.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:33 am

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Looks like the time of battle will (finally) soon be at hand...

Three games in a row. Piece of piss.

:hahaha:

More info coming soon.
Warren Peace, #643919

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Redtophat » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:41 am

My Gawds, Fate/Extra CCC looks glorious, Nasu pretty much stopped pretending that TM stuff isn't all about the magical-supernatural pantsu with this game. In this game to open a door you basically have to strip yourself of your undergarments. Aksys, please localize this gem now.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:04 am

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Three games in a row. Piece of piss.

More info coming soon.

MY EXPECTATIONS
- you have EV trained your Pokemon
- you make some informed pre-battle decisions (team, items, strategy)
- you make some informed in-battle decisions (timing of moves / switches)
- you had a good set of battles and didn't just 6-0 your opponent (because that is boring)
Voluntary Illusion.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:28 am

Nope, yeah, kind of and, uh, damn...

-o-;

So my brother's line-up:
SPOILER: Show
-Starmie
-Haxorus
-Mienshao
-Emolga
-Chandelure
-Serperior

We had three battles - The first two times, I used my White 2 team:
-Zoroark
-Scolipede
-Reuniclus
-Lilligant
-Carracosta
-Emboar

And the third time, he asked to fight one of my other elected rosters:
-Milotic
-Scizor
-Electivire
-Magmortar
-Donphan
-Venusaur

We just did those IR flat battles using the C-gear and events pretty much went as follows...

-Battle One-
Swept whole team with Zoroark masquerading as Reuniclus. I thought 'Nasty Plot' would've given me away dead but I didn't lose Illusion until Zoro was hit, out-sped by Serperior.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Battle Two-
This was the interesting one, as I lead with Scolipede having done so with Zoro before. Opposing first up was Starmie, who I manage to OHKO with a 'Swords Dance' boosted 'Megahorn'. Then also took out his Chandelure. But then came Haxorus.

:|

It survived the 'Megahorn' and landed a critical hit 'Dragon Claw'. Ouch.

Things got a bit messy here and definitely not the "piece of piss" I made it out to be, haha. Things basically descended into a shit-fight. Ended up coming down to our two starters and Emboar's 'Flare Blitz' easily won out.

Carracosta was KO'ed by his Serperior. I was cocky enough to think the 'Shell Smash' boost would've had just enough of a speed increase. I really was unaware of how fast Serperior was. Had it out as more a tank in my mind, but lesson learned.

:tongue:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Battle Three-
Brother once again lead with Starmie. I tried to out-bulk him with Milotic and to some sucess, even surviving many 'Thunderbolt' attacks, regaining enough health with 'Recover' where necessary and poisoning Starmie with 'Toxic'.

Unfortunately, he quite randomly decided to use 'Ice Beam' which froze Milotic. So I switched with Electivire, who was promptly hit with a 'Thunderbolt' (hehe) triggering his ability Motor-Drive. Starmie then died of poison - The last bit taking nearly a quarter of its remaining health.

I was then able to sweep the rest of his team with a Motor-Drive boosted Electivire; 'Wild Charge' and 'Ice Punch' like a boss.
Warren Peace, #643919

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:05 am

At first your brothers' line-up seems decent... but then you see 'Emolga'. I don't think anybody uses Emolga. It's just so... I mean, what does it do? *checks Smogon* Okay, so apparently it can run a Baton Pass set... in NU. In case this isn't clear, NU is the tier for Pokemon that are more or less Never Used. But there is another electric / flying type to consider: Rotom-S. Sure, its ability is useless, but at least it can take a hit and/or use a choice item to decent effect.

Also it is so weird to see you using Electivire and Magmortar together... and on that point I should say it is probably time you raised some new Pokemon. I don't have any specific suggestions other than that you should try to avoid anything that would replace the ones you already have.

And umm. Yeah. Cheers for the battle post.
Voluntary Illusion.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:27 am

Yeah, I was working on putting something of a "bench" together when I was playing last. And now that I've picked it up again, I may get round to finalising them:
-Slowbro [Done]
-Porygon-Z [Done]
-Tangrowth [Done]
-Metagross
-Swellow
-Nidoqueen

Plus a couple other Pokes I don't really no what to do with; Weavile, Ursaring, Pikachu, my old Charizard from FireRed, Poliwrath, Exeggutor, etcetera.

FWIW here's a little cap of all the Pokemon I have anyway:

At first your brothers' line-up seems decent... but then you see 'Emolga'.

I think I recall last time you called out Emolga as being the only weak point in that team, and I agree. I've mentioned it to him and he's looking into replacing it with something else. Should be pretty interesting to see what he comes up with in that regard.

I don't have any specific suggestions other than that you should try to avoid anything that would replace the ones you already have.

Any suggestion you can sling this way would be greatly appreciated though!

^_^
Warren Peace, #643919

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:25 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Any suggestion you can sling this way would be greatly appreciated though!

Okay, let's see...

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Metagross

I have had an AgilityGross for on SoulSilver for a year or two now. I've mentioned I use it in the Battle Arcade, but as I'm not shifting it to 5th Gen I don't have much else use for it. I will say though that you ought to run at least one of its STAB moves (Meteor Mash, Bullet Punch, or Zen Headbutt) alongside a staple like Earthquake if you are going to make good use of it. The standard 5th Gen OU set is Stealth Rock, but that it isn't mandatory if you're just going to use it in-game.

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Swellow

Outclassed by Staraptor in just about every way except the Guts strategy, so unless you're using it for that, go Staraptor.

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Nidoqueen

If you are going to use any Nido; a) use Sheer Force, b) use special moves only Dragon Tail being the accepted exception

As for the other things you mentioned... forget Pikachu.

For Exeggutor, consider its ability as you could use it alongside Drought Ninetales in a sun team; ditto for the Flower thing but Exeggutor is generally better in that regard.

You should be aware by now that 4th Gen arcanine is outclassed by 5th Gen Arcanines that can learn Close Combat as an Egg move , but all Arcanine can learn Wild Charge by TM.
Between Emboar, Magmortar, and Charizard, if you're going to pick one to keep using in serious battles I'd say Emboar. All three should be useful for the PWT Fire Type Expert challenge (if you're doing doubles), but otherwise, of the fire-types you have Arcanine would be the most reliable but it faces competition from Chandelure if it isn't running Extremespeed, Morning Sun, or one of the other moves I mentioned.

I don't remember if your Crobat has Brave Bird or not. If it doesn't, it's all the more reason to raise a Staraptor.

You'll have to tell me what set you're using on Slowbro. I have one on each gen, and I have to say I have not used it much as I didn't raise it myself, I won it in a giveaway in Smogon

If you're tired of dual screens on Magnezone you could train it to be a scarf or specs user (i.e. teach it Volt Switch).

Swords Dance Sceptile could use an upgrade in the form of the Flying Gem + Acrobatics combo, see the Smogon RU/UU sets for examples on how to run it.

Oh, Tangrowth, Torterra, and the flowery thing. Dream World Venusaur would be better than all three of this, but since those are a) only Japanese) and b) only male, the one that you have has to be doing something specific in order to be better than them, and that is usually as a special wall - the Smogon 5th Gen sets don't include Overgrow, so look at the 4th Gen UU/OU sets to see what I am talking about. Though, Torterra is fine to continue using Rock Polish.

I'm not too sure about your water-types but between Poliwrath, Carracosta, Slowbro, and Milotic; it's clear you need something more upper-tier. As most water-types are orented toward bulky sets, you're more or less going to be looking at stuff that is regarded as better than what you already have - and that's not exactly encouragement, is it? So what you need to do is fill in the gap and get yourself a Gyarados. Unlike the water-types you already have, Gyarados does not have to 'set up' on the first turn to be dangerous - Intimidate does that for you. The other option is of course Moxie, but this is a dream world ability and you haven't mentioned if you're using that so I don't know if you can do that.

I could have also recommended Drizzle Politoad, and while you might not have Swift Swim users (though this combination is banned in Smogon standard play, it isn't in the Nintendo VGC/doubles ruleset) Magnezone and Scizor appreciate the extra protection from Fire type attacks. These two weather users are also handy in countering the common weather setter known as Tyranitar. Of course, Tyranitar does a great deal more than just that, so perhaps you could consider it as well.

there's mah halp
that'll be ten dollahs plux
Voluntary Illusion.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:34 am

Pokemon  SPOILER: Show
View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:I have had an AgilityGross for on SoulSilver for a year or two now. I've mentioned I use it in the Battle Arcade, but as I'm not shifting it to 5th Gen I don't have much else use for it. I will say though that you ought to run at least one of its STAB moves (Meteor Mash, Bullet Punch, or Zen Headbutt) alongside a staple like Earthquake if you are going to make good use of it. The standard 5th Gen OU set is Stealth Rock, but that it isn't mandatory if you're just going to use it in-game.

Yep, I was planning on going with the Stealth Rock set:
~ Stealth Rock
~ Meteor Mash
~ Pursuit
~ Earthquake / Hammer Arm (Whichever gets better general coverage).

I really need to get around to finishing it off though - But it's one of the Pokes I have that has the Pokerus virus. And I feel a bit of trepidation screwing up its EV stats more so than I would than just levelling it up normally. I probably mentioned all that to you before, haha.

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:Outclassed by Staraptor in just about every way except the Guts strategy, so unless you're using it for that, go Staraptor.

Guts strategy was the plan, but I haven't really seriously considered Staraptor before. Might just end up rolling with that instead.

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:As for the other things you mentioned... forget Pikachu.

Hehe. He's only there for emotional support.

:tongue:

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:You should be aware by now that 4th Gen arcanine is outclassed by 5th Gen Arcanines that can learn Close Combat as an Egg move , but all Arcanine can learn Wild Charge by TM.

Yeah - I've found a lot of my movesets didn't hold up in the transition from 4th to 5th generation. Arcy's set looks a little something like this, which is super standard:
~Flare Blitz
~ExtremeSpeed
~Wild Charge
~Toxic

Being able to breed one with 'Close Combat' and 'Morning Sun' would be master race.

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:I don't remember if your Crobat has Brave Bird or not. If it doesn't, it's all the more reason to raise a Staraptor.

Naw - Acrobatics set. But yeah; Staraptor it is then.

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:You'll have to tell me what set you're using on Slowbro. I have one on each gen, and I have to say I have not used it much as I didn't raise it myself, I won it in a giveaway in Smogon

Another boring/basic set:
~ Thunder Wave
~ Surf
~ Psychic
~ Slack Off

Smogon's suggested for B/W aren't that radically different however.

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:If you're tired of dual screens on Magnezone you could train it to be a scarf or specs user (i.e. teach it Volt Switch).

Still loving the Dual Screens stratagem and I've actually got 'Volt Switch' in there already:
~Thunder Wave
~Light Screen
~Reflect
~Volt Switch

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:Oh, Tangrowth, Torterra, and the flowery thing. Dream World Venusaur would be better than all three of this, but since those are a) only Japanese) and b) only male, the one that you have has to be doing something specific in order to be better than them, and that is usually as a special wall - the Smogon 5th Gen sets don't include Overgrow, so look at the 4th Gen UU/OU sets to see what I am talking about. Though, Torterra is fine to continue using Rock Polish.

Quite fond of "the flowery thing", as it can smash once it sets up properly (INB4 only Grass-type attack; I know, I know).

Dream World Venusaur sounds amazing but is well outside of my realm of resources and influence.

Rock Polish Torterra is staying as is for the time being. It hasn't had an outing yet since it smashed my brothers mate's Rayquaza, but that victory is still fresh in my mind, haha.

Love that Poke, man...

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:I'm not too sure about your water-types but between Poliwrath, Carracosta, Slowbro, and Milotic; it's clear you need something more upper-tier. As most water-types are orented toward bulky sets, you're more or less going to be looking at stuff that is regarded as better than what you already have - and that's not exactly encouragement, is it? So what you need to do is fill in the gap and get yourself a Gyarados. Unlike the water-types you already have, Gyarados does not have to 'set up' on the first turn to be dangerous - Intimidate does that for you. The other option is of course Moxie, but this is a dream world ability and you haven't mentioned if you're using that so I don't know if you can do that.

I could have also recommended Drizzle Politoad, and while you might not have Swift Swim users (though this combination is banned in Smogon standard play, it isn't in the Nintendo VGC/doubles ruleset) Magnezone and Scizor appreciate the extra protection from Fire type attacks. These two weather users are also handy in countering the common weather setter known as Tyranitar. Of course, Tyranitar does a great deal more than just that, so perhaps you could consider it as well.

I've never been interested in a Gyarados but Politoed does intrigued me, especially complimenting Scizor or Magnezone, two members I'm particularly proud of.

I'll do some looking-into and let you know what I end up doing anyway man. Also, I'm sure my brother will come back for more battles soon.

What about you, EF? Been playing any more of Black 2?
View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:there's mah halp
that'll be ten dollahs plux

wots yr paypal

Thanks again though EF!

^_^
Warren Peace, #643919

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:19 am

@BlueMonday:

POKESMONS  SPOILER: Show
View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Yep, I was planning on going with the Stealth Rock set:
~ Stealth Rock
~ Meteor Mash
~ Pursuit
~ Earthquake / Hammer Arm (Whichever gets better general coverage).

I really need to get around to finishing it off though - But it's one of the Pokes I have that has the Pokerus virus. And I feel a bit of trepidation screwing up its EV stats more so than I would than just levelling it up normally. I probably mentioned all that to you before, haha.

I probably mentioned this before but in 5th Gen you really need to use the dream world if you want a reliable source of EV-reducing berries. I probably mentioned the serebii page for training spots and the psypoke stat calculator for keeping track of your EVs (if you know your IVs - if not, start using Pokecheck). Pursuit isn't useful in casual play unless your opponent has a psychic-type that they are going to switch out, so you could run both Earthquake and Hammer Arm - or increase its utility by tutoring it Zen Headbutt, ThunderPunch, or Ice Punch.

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Yeah - I've found a lot of my movesets didn't hold up in the transition from 4th to 5th generation. Arcy's set looks a little something like this, which is super standard:
~Flare Blitz
~ExtremeSpeed
~Wild Charge
~Toxic

I hardly ever think about Toxic on Fire-types, but it's there so you may as well use it. Also is it running Intimidate or Flash Fire?

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Being able to breed one with 'Close Combat' and 'Morning Sun' would be master race.

I RNG Bred one with Intimidate last year. Earlier in the month I got around to raising it some more and it is more or less ready for EV Training (which I'll do before I use a Fire Stone). I'll show you once I have a version up on Pokecheck.

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Smogon's suggested [sets for Slowbro] for B/W aren't that radically different however.

No, they aren't - the one I have is in 5th Gen has a similar set, and I can say the same about the one I trained for Platinum some years back. Of course the VGC '12 set is a Trick Room, but other

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Quite fond of "the flowery thing", as it can smash once it sets up properly (INB4 only Grass-type attack; I know, I know).

Lilligant sort of does one only thing but very well under the right play conditions.

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Dream World Venusaur sounds amazing but is well outside of my realm of resources and influence.

It's outside of my resources, too - of course there are a few free ones (trained or untrained) that you can download from Pokecheck, but really, like everyone else I'd like to see an international release of the Kanto and Hoenn starters hopefully before 6th Gen (as I don't have any plans to upgrade to a 3DS).

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Rock Polish Torterra is staying as is for the time being. It hasn't had an outing yet since it smashed my brothers mate's Rayquaza, but that victory is still fresh in my mind, haha.

It's pretty good stuff. I have been considering RNG breeding and raising one for Platinum sometime... or I could just check on the one I raised as a starter, which would probably be more considerate of my time.

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:I've never been interested in a Gyarados but Politoed does intrigued me, especially complimenting Scizor or Magnezone, two members I'm particularly proud of.

Acquiring your own Drizzletoad is fairly straightforward - if you're not using the dream world your best bet is to wait for one from the outer Pinwheel Forest Hidden Grotto, and use a Bold/Modest/Calm/Timid/Quiet synchronise lead for your desired nature. If you're breeding, the only egg move that people put any weight on is Encore but otherwise as long as you don't use Ditto as a parent (if you use Ditto, the Dream World ability won't pass down) it should turn out fine.

In case you are wondering I do have my own Politoed, but apart from EV training it I haven't really used it for anything. I imagine I'll use it once I acquire an appropriate Ludicolo as a team mate - I've thought about RNG capturing one in 3rd or 4th Gen but I haven't had the time to learn RNG for that.

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:What about you, EF? Been playing any more of [s]Black 2[/s] White 2?

I have been doing small activities on all of my 4th / 5th Gen games, but on White 2 specifically, I've been steadily filling in Pokedex entries along with White - up to around 540 caught / 595 seen on White 2, I saw all of the Unova Dex Pokemon ages ago but I still have a few to evolve/trade to fill it. I have been leveling up the Join Avenue too, and steadily building up my Dream World home - just got the castle keep on Friday so I'm now free to spam EV reducing berries, but I'll need to earn some BP for the other three EV training items. Once I've got that I'll be ready to start EV training on White 2, which will make it easier once I have time to revisit RNG abuse for it.

Oh, and I did do one of the Type Expert tournmaments in the PWT - the Bug type one, in doubles.
Since you've been sharing your line-ups and sets, here's a rough outline of mine:

Volcarona - Timid - Quiver Dance / Bug Buzz / Flamethrower / Hidden Power Rock 70
Escavalier - Adamant - Megahorn / Iron Head / Quick Guard / Pursuit
Scolipede - Jolly - Megahorn / Rock Slide / Spikes / Toxic Spikes
Galvantula - Timid - Thunder / Bug Buzz / Energy Ball / Hidden Power Ice 70

I would have used a Scizor if I had one as it more or less has perfect coverage over the other Bug types in Technician boosted Bullet Punch + Aerial Ace, so yeah, if you go to do the Bug type tournament have it on your team for sure.

Also in parts of this post I've been trying to link to my Pokemon on my Pokecheck account, but something about the [url] [/url] tags on this site has been messing up the urls so *shrug* I guess not.
Voluntary Illusion.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:20 am

So, I took a break from my slow-as-hell second playthrough of Mass Effect in order to revel in superior Japanese game design and culture in form of 2010 (or was it 2011) rerelease of Rance II with updated art etc.

I had no idea it had been translated which is why I hadn't touched it before

I started playing the game saturday evening and had long and very involving gameplay session from then to 7 in the morning. Reached final chapter, now I need to start grinding a bit before I head final dungeons proper.

Needless to say it's more of a dungeon crawling RPG than "strategy game" Sengoku Rance represents - as far as I know that is the case with all Rance games sans Sengoku.

It's fun and the completely overhauled art is very good and in line with Sengoku

NOT GAHAHAHA AT ALL/10

:irked:

What I really can't get over is this game having arguably far more vigor and better writing than Mass Effect - that really gives rise to so many confused feels.

Well, the hero has his responsibilities to take care of so this is it for now

GAHAHAHA!

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:31 am

View Original PostXard wrote:Image
GAHAHAHA!

That is wrong on so many levels...
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:38 am

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:That is wrong on so many levels...

Nonsense. Rance is exemplary gentleman and personification of chivalry:

As a matter of fact the fun time Rance is referring to with that line is unselfish act of goodness as it's a way to release innocent maiden from demonic spell controlling her. His aspirations are of noble character.

Unsurprisingly Rance is actually the masculine ideal of male protagonists in general and a proper target of emulation and idolizing:

Rance is a good guy. Now you want to know what is wrong on so many levels"? Rance knows:

You'll learn eventually, young padawan
Last edited by Xard on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:41 am

What's wrong with medieval fantasy office ladies?

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:43 am

Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Redtophat » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:34 am

It's not very hard to outdo Mass Effect :tongue:
This series has me interested though, how long would ya say Sengoku Rance is?

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:47 am

Not counting re-dos because you fucked up your kingdrom repeatedly through a string of bad decisions?

Not really that long if you know what you're doing or unless you are playing through all the routes

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”