Fallout

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:18 am

They should bring back eye crits.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:13 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Like seriously it's ridiculous how many headshots I sometimes had to do to kill an ordinary human target when I was at low level. I remember why I liked Fallout Wanderer's Edition so much for FO3.

Really? I'm currently just over level 10 using a mostly unmodded Glow Sights 10mm pistol with a point or two in the Gunslinger perk and I can kill most humanoid enemies in one or two headshots.

Fort Hagen spoilers  SPOILER: Show

I managed to easily murder Kellogg in the first few seconds of the boss fight by immediately entering VATS and landing 5 consecutive headshots with my snubnosed pistol. An added bonus was the fact that he automatically turned invisible while I was shooting him to death as per usual, but since I was still locked on him in VATS I got to see my character scoring 2 final headshots on the invisible bastard.

One thing I am finding annoying in the game is Ghouls, because whenever I try to shoot them in VATS the target usually does some sort of weird convulsion and dodges the attack entirely. Rad damage is minimal at first but is annoying from the higher level breeds such as Roamers.

SPOILER: Show

I went into Hubris Comics to get the Silver Shroud costume; what I didn't know was that the place would be full of Feral Ghouls, and that the costume itself was guarded by a frickin' Glowing One.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Lorkhan
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Lorkhan » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:09 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Really? I'm currently just over level 10 using a mostly unmodded Glow Sights 10mm pistol with a point or two in the Gunslinger perk and I can kill most humanoid enemies in one or two headshots.

On higher difficulties, enemies can take a lot more damage then they would otherwise. Though, I still haven't had that much of a problem with headshots not doing what they need to do, except against enemies either outside my level, or are just giant marauding tanks to begin with. >_>

One thing I am finding annoying in the game is Ghouls, because whenever I try to shoot them in VATS the target usually does some sort of weird convulsion and dodges the attack entirely. Rad damage is minimal at first but is annoying from the higher level breeds such as Roamers.

Can't say I had the same problem. My attacks in V.A.T.S against them has always hit its mark.

Oh, but I found myself a full set of T-51 power armor! I always loved that model, so when I stumbled across it, I was overjoyed. Good thing I did though, because I immediately got into fairly nasty fight with a bunch of super mutants. That was handy.
"Oh Aka, for our shared madness I do this! I watch you watching me watching you back!"

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:01 am

I wish this game had a better save management system. I guess I could start naming my saves, but I want to more conveniently switch back and forth between playing my craft scientist lady and a brutish idiot that demands caps and fucks faux irish pit fighters.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:39 am

View Original PostLorkhan wrote:On higher difficulties, enemies can take a lot more damage then they would otherwise.

Ugh, I hate bullet sponge psuedo-difficulty. Can you at least still change it mid-game so you can start off low and slide it up as your damage curve inevitably outpaces your enemies?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:52 am

You can change it on the fly.

The combat in this game is better but that's not even why I like it. Bethesda makes great sandboxes, real fun for just fucking around.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:57 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I wish this game had a better save management system. I guess I could start naming my saves, but I want to more conveniently switch back and forth between playing my craft scientist lady and a brutish idiot that demands caps and fucks faux irish pit fighters.

The saves aren't already grouped by character? I haven't tried a second character yet, but I remember seeing some button instruction allowing me to switch character that led me to believe all saves for a character would be grouped together.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:14 am

In the pipeline they say a patch is coming right up.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:15 am

Yeah whenever you name or rename your character it creates a new folder for saves related to that character. My blank character template is named "Blank Character," but whenever I create a new character from that template and rename him/her, then save in a new slot and return to the title screen, I'll have a new folder for the new character.
[Redacted]

Lorkhan
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Lorkhan » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:32 pm

So I just discovered a new quirk in the Settlement system. You know your defense rating? I didn't think much of it but always tried to fufill it anyway, if only because it improves the Settlers happiness. Well, turns out, there's actually something to it. Once you progress farther into the Minutemen quests, you start getting reports that the Gunners are scoping your places out. Once you complete that, you're Settlements will begin to come under attack if the Gunners think that they'll face minimal resistance. I don't know if it happens often, since I only just encountered it, but that does seem to be a thing.

And the Gunners are just nasty enemies in general. They come in high numbers, pack decent weapons (A lot of automatics across the board), have good armor on them, and will chuck grenades very often.
"Oh Aka, for our shared madness I do this! I watch you watching me watching you back!"

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:55 pm

^ Good thing I'm investing in putting up a wall around the entire circumference of Sanctuary. When I'm finished the only opening will be where the bridge is, and that already has 3 guard towers at the end of it. I'm just starting with the settlement building, but I want to be prepared when the thugs start showing up.

I'm also building a huge-ass metal tower near the center. When finished it will hopefully be the tallest building in the Commonwealth, and allow me to scope out the entire wasteland (or as much as the draw distance allows).
[Redacted]

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:28 pm

I'm going to purposely keep Sanctuary fairly small. I've already opened up two other settlements that are in more build friendly/defensible locations and I know there's more down the line. I'm going to try to get them all running before I make any of them huge.

Lorkhan
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Lorkhan » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:08 pm

I have a giant trade route that encompasses most of the northern settlements, loops around the coast, and back up to Sanctuary. Its been useful. My hope is to deck them all out with artillery so I can rain hell down on anyone and everyone no matter where I'm at. Oh, and if you ever find a siren out there in the world and decide to turn it on for kicks, don't. After I did, the noise drew a Deathclaw and a Alpha Deathclaw to it. I don't know if they were in the area, but that was a unpleasant surprise.

By the by, and Quincy is utter hell, but it was quite a bit of a learning experience. There's a quest that sort of takes you down that way, so be careful if you find yourself down there. The place is swarming with plasma mines, high level Gunners, and three boss characters, two of which are wearing Power Armor. Everything that makes fighting the Gunners horrible is amplified. I swear, it felt like I was dodging grenades every five seconds.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:47 pm

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:I'm also building a huge-ass metal tower near the center. When finished it will hopefully be the tallest building in the Commonwealth, and allow me to scope out the entire wasteland (or as much as the draw distance allows).

That's a thing? You can do that? I haven't tried building upwards, but that sounds awesome.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Lorkhan
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Lorkhan » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:52 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:That's a thing? You can do that? I haven't tried building upwards, but that sounds awesome.

I'm pretty sure there's an upward limit on it. IIRC, that limit was like, five floors or something, so I don't think that's actually possible. I could be wrong though, since I haven't tried it for myself.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:57 pm

Yeah unfortunately there is a ceiling on the buildable area. You can only build 5 stories high. Although, I did manage to add a partial 6th story by glitching the hell out of the ceiling's hitbox (and using furniture as stairs). So I still managed to make a pretty impressive tower, but not the glorious 15-20 story monster I was planning on building. I was able to justify the costs by integrating it with the town's defense systems. The stair landings have turrets on them. I'll try to post some pictures later on.

There's also a limit on how many walls of any type you can put up. I hit it well before I finished my fortifications, and it would not let me place any more of what I had been using despite having more than enough materials and plenty of space left on the size meter. I still managed to finish the wall by half-assing it using fenceposts, but the goal was accomplished. Now the only way in is the bridge, which is covered by 4 turrets and 3 guard towers. :devil: I also made a brahmin pen using an old house foundation, some wood fencing, and a couple feed troughs. Now to lure in some brahmin...

@ Bethesda: Please remove these absurd artificial limits you put on the settlement building mode. If I have the materials and the space left on the size meter, I should be able to build whatever the hell I want however high I want.
[Redacted]

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:11 am

If you're on PC you can hit TGM to remove the material requirement and height limit, if you are so inclined. I haven't done this myself but a lot of the fancy builds you're seeing screenshots of were accomplished that way. (You'd need ten times the amount of cement bags in the game to surround Sanctuary with the concrete foundation blocks, ffs)

I'm planning to make

The Castle

my headquarters but I hear that's a pretty tough fight.

The limits are probably there so console hardware doesn't shit itself.

I haven't actually started the MQ yet with this character (beyond going to Diamond City to pick up Piper), I've just been doing sidequests and radiant quests. I'm sure they'll wear on me in time but the radiant quests from the Minutemen really aren't that bad. I guess the settlements will run out, though.

The last one I was assigned before I quit was from a settler in Sanctuary Hills. That was convenient. :D

I've picked up
Companion Spoiler  SPOILER: Show
Curie from Vault 87. She's basically useless but she (a Mrs. Handsy robot) has a romance option and I want to see what they do with it. I'm pretty sure it'll involve getting her a humanoid body.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:05 pm

My little town of Sanctuary is starting to become quite the community.
I put up various walls to patch up the brick wall by the creek to reduce access by enemies in unwanted places and to direct traffic to the bridge, where I have a couple guard posts and turrets. At this point I'd say the entire southern portion of the town is fortified; and considering that there's not much map to the north and west, I'd say this was the majority of work to be done.

Behind the main house with the workshop, there's a small fenced backyard, which I've turned into a melon and gourd patch that overgrows into the side of the house as well. Between that house and the protagonists pre-war house, I have a weapons shop, armor shop, clinic, and general trader set up, which is usually where Trashcan Carla's caravan comes by to visit as well.

I'm getting used to supply lines, and have a small web extended to the few other settlements I've bothered to spend time fortifying. The supply lines make it way more convenient for stashing insane amounts of junk at just one workshop and having it still connected to other settlements.

And as far as story goes:
I put off going to the Glowing Sea for the longest time, but when I finally did, it eventually lead me to cross paths with the Railroad. It couldn't have happened more conveniently, because I had literally just encountered them in my sidequest travels. When I did end up meeting them, I ended up doubling up quests, some for the main quest and some for them, and would get two or more quests done for the same location in one trip!

I finished Nick Valentine's quest, and so once Deacon offered to join me I let Nick go. I'm already missing having him around to hack into the advanced terminals, but Deacon is a pretty entertaining companion.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:10 am

Ok, so wow. Haven't been on in like two weeks, and nothing has changed regarding Eva.

First off I'll say, I am posting no spoilers here.

Anyhow I completed the game, and currently have like 55 hours logged onto the Xbox One of just Fallout 4. I want to say I've completed almost every side quest I can find, key word is find because I am outright looking for quests to do in the game.

Also achievement wise I have 6 more achievements to get, 5 quest achievements by following the other factions and the achievement to get settler's happiness to 100%.

Game has been great. Although I want to honestly do everything in the game, like all the side quests. I haven't been able to find a completed list of quests in Fallout 4, and if anyone could help with that, it would be appreciated. Also I can't seem to find the total number of fast travel locations that are unlockable, I have 200+ but I want to find them all, I think I am close and it really wouldn't take long.

Besides that the OneGuide on Xbox says I am done around 84% of the game, but I don't know what that includes, and there is nothing to tell me.

Edit- @Sachi, With supply lines I am glad there is a feature to share supplies between settlements, because in my case I have everything at Sanctuary Hills and then few resources else where. Besides the Drive-in because that has like 17 people at it for some reason, and is on par with Hills.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:52 am

Something random and amusing (at least to me) that I did:

In Diamond City, there's a homeless looking guy named Sheffield who asks you for a Nuka Cola to help him quit alochol. It's just a misc quest, but afterward, if you talk to him, you can send him to live in any of your settlements. I sent him to sanctuary, and ultimately I assigned him to my clinic. Whenever I go to trade with him, my character says "I'm looking for chems".

The homeless alcoholic is now my town chem dealer. Lol

Also, Preston Garvey tends to the melon patch as a hobby, like a certain favorite character. Eva has to always creep in somehow.
- Sachi

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”