What are you currently playing? [2]

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:06 am

View Original PostXard wrote:So, I finished the "Near Side" storyline of Tsukihime which means I did Arcueid and Ciel routes and got both true and good ends for them.
[...]
Oh well, I'm glad that's finally over. Now I have the Far Side route left and I'm expecting a lot of sickness and Nasuverse fucked upness from its storyline. Can't wait for that
Ah, so you finished the intro. Nice.

IIRC, there's only like one "good" ending and one "not that bad all things considered" ending on the far side, with the other three or so being depressing as hell. But damn, save that good ending for last, because it's the shining field of sunflowers at the end of grim nightmares of bleak sadism and the near certainty of horrible, fated, indiscriminate character death. Fuck yeah.

And Ciel sucks. The backstory was nice, but it seemed wasted on a character whose motivations were executed in ways that either came off as weak and incompetent or cumbersomely ineffectual. I guess that was part of her character, but if it's established early on that the whole crux of an antagonist's character is failure, then there's no point in trying to build up much tension around her and Arcuied in the first place. "Character A is a total failure at everything pretty much all the time, and has consistently lost to this particular enemy, so what'll happen when Character A has to take on Character B--who is pretty much a god incarnate?" The cards are so stacked against that the route seemed pretty pointless. In the end, Shiki did all the work either because of or in spite of Ciel's uselessness. It makes you wonder what she was there for in the first place. Like you say, she worked alright in Arcueid's route basically because of this reason, but as a heroine, she's terrible.

Even her character design sucks. Paint on tattoos? Come on, man.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:21 pm

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/829/tsukihimeepilogue.png/]Image[/URL]

Finished playing/reading Tsukihime. Did the remaining three routes in course of yesterday and today and just finished the epilogue, "Eclipse".

I'll probably post more in Tsukihime topic later but all in all I'm happy I went with this VN. I was a bit disappoint it didn't turn out to be Kara no Kyokai in VN form in terms of complexity + mindfuck and Fate is clearly superior out of the two if you ask me but overall the stories were well crafted and cast excellent. As for Nasu's prose there were some really well written scenes (Shiki killing Arcueid in Near Side sequence, the coffee drinking scene with SHIKI in Kohaku route, Eclipse etc.) mixed with at times repetitive and never-going-anywere shitty writing that could be seriously aggravating. Less said about sex scenes the better, I really skimmed through those :hahaha:

The biggest flaw would be the rather low quality of CGs and effects but maybe it's just FSN spoiling me. I doubt most doujin VNs stand up against Tsukihime in terms of this quality.

I'm really happy I ended up downloading the Ever After rearranged OST release because the music was of much higher quality than what comes with the original release and very enjoyable.

All in all: I'm glad I spent as many days as I did playing Tohno Shiki, that dirty rapist murderer. :hahaha: Ryougi is still far superior Shiki though :lol:

View Original PostMerridian wrote:Ah, so you finished the intro. Nice.

I'm not sure if you could call it "intro", given that Near Side storyline with its two routes is at least equal in lenght to all three routes of Far Side storyline. :P

View Original PostMerridian wrote:IIRC, there's only like one "good" ending and one "not that bad all things considered" ending on the far side, with the other three or so being depressing as hell. But damn, save that good ending for last, because it's the shining field of sunflowers at the end of grim nightmares of bleak sadism and the near certainty of horrible, fated, indiscriminate character death. Fuck yeah.

Guhhhhhh yeah. While Far Side didn't reach the general level of disgusting Heaven's Feel did overall the whole storyline was pretty damn hard hitting and the endings were just... depressing is the word indeed.

Thankfully the "shining field of sunflowers" route is the last one to be unlocked so I naturally finished with it. Akiha Normal and Hisui's True End were just :dejected: :dejected: :dejected:

(despite the darkness Hisui's true end was probably my favourite from the game and the final twist/revelations hit me really hard)

Funny thing is for some reason I'd seen the epilogue before but reading Eclipse after finishing the whole game it just ment much, much more. Very fitting coda for the game.

View Original PostMerridian wrote:And Ciel sucks. The backstory was nice, but it seemed wasted on a character whose motivations were executed in ways that either came off as weak and incompetent or cumbersomely ineffectual. I guess that was part of her character, but if it's established early on that the whole crux of an antagonist's character is failure, then there's no point in trying to build up much tension around her and Arcuied in the first place. "Character A is a total failure at everything pretty much all the time, and has consistently lost to this particular enemy, so what'll happen when Character A has to take on Character B--who is pretty much a god incarnate?" The cards are so stacked against that the route seemed pretty pointless. In the end, Shiki did all the work either because of or in spite of Ciel's uselessness. It makes you wonder what she was there for in the first place. Like you say, she worked alright in Arcueid's route basically because of this reason, but as a heroine, she's terrible.

Yeah, what I liked about Ciel were her backstory and the revelations her route gave about Roa's character. Beyond that though it was easily the worst route of the game, no questions asked. Now I really understand what Sacchin's "even lost to Ciel in popularity poll" means :hahaha:

Speaking of "god incarnate", non-shiki'd Arcueid is supposedly one of the "hidden bosses" (ie. hidden boss in RPG that is far tougher than other opponents in the game including the real final boss) of the whole Nasuverse and I don't doubt that given what we know about her ridiculously overpowered wtfhax abilities and skills. Apparently these kind of characters are called "Types" or something akin that which is why my TM fag friend summed up Arcueid's character pretty well with "if Saber is king moe then Arc is Type moe" :lol:

View Original PostMerridian wrote:Even her character design sucks. Paint on tattoos? Come on, man.

seriously, those tattoos/magic circuits looked pretty good on their own even but that paintjob was just ugly as hell :hahaha:

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:36 pm

Speaking of VNs, I've recently started playing Muv-Luv...

which button do I press to stop hitting the osananajimi

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:57 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:Saved Malik

It took me HOURS.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:30 pm

I used a tricked out 10 mm with x3 damage, Armour piercing, and a laser sight. Go for headshots. Blew up ALL the barrels too. Took me 2 times to get it.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:29 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:Saved Malik

I tried to do that a few times but after a certain number of tries I just gave up and thought it wasn't possible. Found out I was wrong later but didn't bother me. I wasn't a fan of Malik, don't quite get the love she receives.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:35 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:don't quite get the love she receives.

Neither do I, but I feel good saving people. Especially those who I know personally, as well as remain a useful asset to my aims (cold yes, but is true).
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:36 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:Neither do I, but I feel good saving people. Especially those who I know personally, as well as remain a useful asset to my aims (cold yes, but is true).

I just can't stand the mole.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:00 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:I just can't stand the mole.

Oh wow. I thought she was pretty cool girl.

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:21 pm

View Original PostTankred wrote:Oh wow. I thought she was pretty cool girl.

For the record I'm half joking. While I find the mole unattractive I also find her personality rather bland.

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:18 am

View Original PostCJD wrote:I tried to do that a few times but after a certain number of tries I just gave up and thought it wasn't possible. Found out I was wrong later but didn't bother me. I wasn't a fan of Malik, don't quite get the love she receives.

It took me a while, but I think saving JC Denton's brother from the MIB was tougher...
But it's been a while.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:11 am

View Original Postarkiel wrote:It took me a while, but I think saving JC Denton's brother from the MIB was tougher...
But it's been a while.

I could not disagree more. I played that part of Deus Ex fairly recently. Compared to saving Malik, it was a breeze. Not easy, but by comparison. It's easier to come prepared in DX1, for one thing.

(Funny that Paul "dies" even if you save him, due to the killswitch, but he still lives anyway for the sequel, so he both dies and lives whether you save him or not! I keep forgetting how that retcon worked... and also I hope that's not a spoiler, surely there's a statute of limitations, plus it wasn't a major plot point or anything.)
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

liquidus118
Zeruel
Zeruel

Postby liquidus118 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:34 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:I could not disagree more. I played that part of Deus Ex fairly recently. Compared to saving Malik, it was a breeze. Not easy, but by comparison. It's easier to come prepared in DX1, for one thing.

(Funny that Paul "dies" even if you save him, due to the killswitch, but he still lives anyway for the sequel, so he both dies and lives whether you save him or not! I keep forgetting how that retcon worked... and also I hope that's not a spoiler, surely there's a statute of limitations, plus it wasn't a major plot point or anything.)
SPOILER: Show
You got the killswitch deactivated, remember? Paul was just closer to kicking the bucket than you were so was pretty weak by the time it got deactivated.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Dream » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:09 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:(Funny that Paul "dies" even if you save him, due to the killswitch, but he still lives anyway for the sequel, so he both dies and lives whether you save him or not! I keep forgetting how that retcon worked... and also I hope that's not a spoiler, surely there's a statute of limitations, plus it wasn't a major plot point or anything.)

SPOILER: Show
What i found even more funny is that the game registers him as dead even if you save him from the MiB Agents if you happen to take the wrong road (Going out of the apartment through the window instead of the front door) I simply can't see how such a mistake can be made. But i'm pretty sure that the killswitch never kills him though.

Anyway, to be honest i found saving Paul relatively easy (At least it wasn't ridiculously hard) As far as i remember i just set a few gas and explosive grenade/mines next to the door and set myself in the corner of the hallway, then spamming them with bullets when they came, either shooting at them with an assault rifle pointing from the pecs upward, or running around with an auto shotgun. I don't remember what amplifications i had, altough knowing myself i surely chose the speed and "bullet shield" amplifications.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Xous
Lilith

Postby Xous » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:53 pm

Just finished getting all of the achievements for Dark Souls. It took to New Game+++++, but I finally did it. If I'd done my research before, it probably wouldn't have taken this long. xD

This'll probably mark the end of me playing Dark Souls for a while unless I'm looking for a game to just pick up and play. The game became too easy after NG++ (except Four Kings - they'll never be easy), and it doesn't help that now I've pretty much stocked up on a family of Zweihanders (Fire+10, Lightning+5, Magic+10, Divine+10, Regular+15, Chaos+5) and I'm building up Faith which is making my Darkmoon Bow and Moonlight Greatsword killing machines.

Aside from Dark Souls I've been playing more Pokémon Black as I get ready for Black/White 2, but there's really not much else to do but EV train things or save up BP for items (which are easier to get in BW2 anyway).
Current Eva-related project: Drawing Angels #1 - 17. Progress: Sketching Ireul. [On Standby]

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:39 pm

Playing Wolfenstein on the browser...... so good.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Love Not Given Lightly
Embryo

Postby Love Not Given Lightly » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:45 pm

Twilight Princess. I got the guide and a poster for Christmas six years ago but I've only got the game last month. It's wonderful, 15 hours of playtime and I'm just entering the third dungeon.
There are no stupid ideas, only stupid executions.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:11 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:which button do I press to stop hitting the osananajimi

Why would you stop? This girl is pretty annoying.

scholar wrote: One thing that is absolutely critical and worth mentioning right here and now is that this is obviously not the Muv Luv you’re here for. Extra is a romantic comedy-esque harem hentai game. Each character is very shallow and their interactions range from overtly melodramatic to annoying, each arc drags as if to spite anyone playing just to get to Alternative and events seem to work on a “because it said so” basis, which in the end doesn’t matter much in a romantic comedy.

mfw I have to suffer through Extra to get to the Unlimited and Alternative

also, anyone who thinks chrome hair was a good idea should be shot.

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Justacrazyguy » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:37 pm

Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles is just to good! No matter the number of times I beat the game, it never gets boring(probably because of the music).

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Final Messenger » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:32 pm

So I have decide to actually play something other than persona for a change. Recently I have started to play fate/stay night I have made little progress so far so I can't really say much about it but I am enjoying it so far.
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”