What are you currently playing? [2]

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Fri May 25, 2012 4:54 pm

View Original Postliquidus118 wrote:Well you picked two games that seem to have a lot of repetitive grind and one that's only fun with people who can't play it, so it's inevitable you'd be bored.

Try something completely different to RPGs, that doesn't need levelling up or grinding. Try out Tribes Ascend or some other action-y game that you have/ can easily get. You'll probably enjoy yourself again.

I can't think of any time-sink games that are action focussed at the minute, but if you can then you should try those out. Red Dead Redemption or some other sandbox game might do the trick.

It's a wierd thing to describe, but what I really don't want to play any other games. I've got more than enough, I just want to play one of those 3. Not sure if anyone else has ever experienced something like this, but it's a common occurrence for me when game releases are close together.

Omegagouki
Shikigami of the Castle
Shikigami of the Castle

Postby Omegagouki » Sat May 26, 2012 2:52 am

Not exactly what am I playing, but more what 'm watching being played, Speed Demos Archive is having its latest charity marathon and they're speedrunning plenty of games all the way through Monday~
PSN/Steam: Zentillion | Tum8lr
8luh 8luh
Sill (and always) promoting Homestuck

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun May 27, 2012 3:16 am

Been playing some Metal Gear Peace Walker...

FUCKING TRIANGLES TAP THAT MOTHERFUCKING TRIANGLE TAP IT

liquidus118
Zeruel
Zeruel

Postby liquidus118 » Sun May 27, 2012 4:56 am

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:Been playing some Metal Gear Peace Walker...

FUCKING TRIANGLES TAP THAT MOTHERFUCKING TRIANGLE TAP IT
I haven't played Peace Walker in a while, when did you have to tap triangle a bunch?

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun May 27, 2012 5:50 am

SPOILER: Show
Torture Chamber and Peace Walker Horse chase

liquidus118
Zeruel
Zeruel

Postby liquidus118 » Sun May 27, 2012 6:20 am

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:
Torture Chamber and Peace Walker Horse chase
Now I remember.
MGS4  SPOILER: Show
I prefer how that was handled in the microwave scene in MGS4. One of the only examples of Kojima effectively combining gameplay and story. And arm pain.

ronri
Embryo

Postby ronri » Sun May 27, 2012 10:04 am

View Original Postliquidus118 wrote:Now I remember.
MGS4  SPOILER: Show
I prefer how that was handled in the microwave scene in MGS4. One of the only examples of Kojima effectively combining gameplay and story. And arm pain.

Yeah I gotta agree, while the torture scenes are classic MGS, the way it was implemented in MGS4 was.........pretty good.
April 1995. I met her.

Ceimoa Nan
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Ceimoa Nan » Sun May 27, 2012 10:12 am

I had my own idea for a refreshing twist on the "tap triangle rapidly" scenario, based on a canonical event in MGS's history.

Metal Gear Solid 5: Daughter of the Philosophers. You are the Joy, soon to be known as the Boss, at the start of your mission to take out V2 rocket installations (and investigate rumors of a secret bipedal wunderwaffe) in Nazi-occupied France. But during the first hours of D-Day, you are shot in the gut and go into labor. Your faithful Cobra teammates have formed a tight perimeter, protecting you from the Nazis, but the baby needs to come out now! The Sorrow urges you to tap triangle rapidly and PUSH!

Actually, pushing is probably unnecessary when continuity demands she has a cesarean going up to her ribcage, and I don't know enough about OB/GYN to know whether or not failing to push would result in a swift "game over" in her situation, but I would love to see something so over-the-top in a video game. You wouldn't actually see the birth, just the Boss's first-person view of the surroundings. And bonus points if, while pushing, you can aim your pistol and shoot the Nazi who's sneaking up behind the Sorrow as he's delivering young Ocelot. I just can't imagine "the Boss going into labor on the battlefield during D-Day" being any less awesome.

liquidus118
Zeruel
Zeruel

Postby liquidus118 » Sun May 27, 2012 11:43 am

View Original PostCeimoa Nan wrote:
Metal Gear Solid 5: Daughter of the Philosophers. You are the Joy, soon to be known as the Boss, at the start of your mission to take out V2 rocket installations (and investigate rumors of a secret bipedal wunderwaffe) in Nazi-occupied France.
I so wanted the next MGS to be about The Boss. Kojima even said it was one of the ideas he was throwing around but that ultimately didn't make the cut.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Sun May 27, 2012 12:56 pm

The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

ronri
Embryo

Postby ronri » Sun May 27, 2012 6:54 pm

Sounds really interesting. I won't lie though, I feel like with Solid Snake, Kojima actually felt rather restricted with all the hype and reputation Snake had as a character. Hence the cynical tone of MGS4 of having an "old" and tired soldier in a "new" battlefield. I personally enjoyed it, it was also funny how he used it to pretty much critique on FPS games. Still he did complain how he didn't get to make MGS4 into an open-world due to certain limitations at the time.

That's where Big Boss comes in. Ever since Snake Eater I've realised that Kojima somehow found something new to play with, someone who was free from the hype which would allow him to experiment with creating more games. So while I'm sad that Solid Snake's story had ended (and not the way that Kojima exactly wanted it to be like), I'm still glad he's finding something new out of Big Boss and it looks like Kojima is actually planning to do exactly what he missed out of in MGS4 (what with the mention of a potential open-world setting).
Last edited by ronri on Sun May 27, 2012 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
April 1995. I met her.

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Sun May 27, 2012 9:00 pm

View Original PostCeimoa Nan wrote:The Sorrow urges you to tap triangle rapidly and PUSH!

Oh fuck. If that were to happen, it would turn out to be one of the defining moments in the history of gaming.

The WW2 premise is even good enough to warrant retconning another needless Metal Gear prototype into what's essentially a plot so convoluted that "tangled mess" is an affectionate understatement.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Mon May 28, 2012 11:23 am

Since the Moonwalk is gone and you guys are already talking about Metal Gear:

liquidus118
Zeruel
Zeruel

Postby liquidus118 » Mon May 28, 2012 11:54 am

View Original PostMugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:Oh fuck. If that were to happen, it would turn out to be one of the defining moments in the history of gaming.

The WW2 premise is even good enough to warrant retconning another needless Metal Gear prototype into what's essentially a plot so convoluted that "tangled mess" is an affectionate understatement.
I feel bad for Kojima, I really do. Since the mid 2000's (heck, the 80's and 90's too) he's been trying to get away from the Metal Gear series and try other things and yet he keeps getting pulled back to it. At least he's finally been able to make a new Zone of the Enders game, though I have a feeling it's going to limited to being either the 3DS or - more likely due to the pre-existing relationship and Sony's desperation - the Vita.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Dream » Tue May 29, 2012 12:05 am

So, lately i've been playing Katawa Shoujo, mainly to see what was all the fuss about, as well as because of it's vague relationship to 4chan, but what made me decide to dowload was this page (For some reason)

And it's freaking beautiful.

I didn't really know what to expect, since i never played anything like a Visual Novel, but somehow, with it's apparent simplicity, i'm surprised at just how potent and how emotional can the story be at times*. And, even if i might not want to admit this, not to my family or others at least, the girls are the main reason i'm so enchanted by the game. I'm really glad i found this game, i think it's one of the best things i've found in my life.

That said, there are some things that i think... Could have been better.

I freaking hate the "The deep end" ending from act 1 (The one you get should you fail to be friends with one of the girls by the time the festival comes) Not only that, but i think it's ridiculous. I'm glad i didn't get that one first, or i might probably not have played much more of the game. Also, altough a minor thing, i'm somewhat bummed that you can't really go beyond act 1 alone. And also, some actions/thoughs of Hisao bother me a little.

*Spoilers (I think):
A few things i particularly liked are how act 1 ends with/leads up to the festival, Rin and Lilly's festival road/choices, And the scene of Hanako telling you her story. And of course, as painful as they may be, Hanako's panic attack and the many tragedies that seem to be coming are quite a great addition, altough for some reason i think they didn't plan that at first

Somehow tough, for whatever reason i have the lingering feeling that something really dark lays beneath the superficial appearance/the first parts of the game, i don't know if this for a reasons or just because i watched NGE, but i just can't avoid feeling something terrible, sad and painful hides behind all the smiles and the cuteness.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Tue May 29, 2012 2:42 am

View Original Postliquidus118 wrote:I feel bad for Kojima, I really do.

You really think at this point in his career, he'd have enough clout and financial stability to try something else, right?
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

liquidus118
Zeruel
Zeruel

Postby liquidus118 » Tue May 29, 2012 11:08 am

View Original PostMugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:You really think at this point in his career, he'd have enough clout and financial stability to try something else, right?
This is what I really don't get. He's Hideo fucking Kojima. Hideo Kojima wants to move away from making Metal Gear games, but for some reason doesn't. Is Konami forcing him to make Metal Gear games since they're about the only source of income they have? Can't he get the financial backing for other ideas? Does he want to move away from Metal Gear in the same way Asuka hates Shinji? Has he just changed his mind since Guns of the Patriots? I really don't get it.

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Tue May 29, 2012 11:35 am

View Original Postliquidus118 wrote:This is what I really don't get. He's Hideo fucking Kojima. Hideo Kojima wants to move away from making Metal Gear games, but for some reason doesn't. Is Konami forcing him to make Metal Gear games since they're about the only source of income they have? Can't he get the financial backing for other ideas? Does he want to move away from Metal Gear in the same way Asuka hates Shinji? Has he just changed his mind since Guns of the Patriots? I really don't get it.

Disclaimer: I don't actively follow him.

Anyway, anytime I see Hideo Kojima discussed it's always about him acting rather meek. I see people post shit from his Twitter a lot, and then there was the whole VGA's incident, I gotta wonder whether Kojima is just a huge push over. Like, no one's even forcing him to do it, they're just giving him a shove in that direction and he's not resisting it.

Poor Kojima, so moe.

ronri
Embryo

Postby ronri » Tue May 29, 2012 7:11 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:Poor Kojima, so moe.

HAHAHAHAHAHA that last line just cracked me up!

In all seriousness though, Kojima could just have an Asuka-Shinji relationship with MGS. I recall Kinoko Nasu of Type-Moon feeling a bit embarassed of his original work (apart from being his earliest work, something about him pouring all his beliefs and feelings into the story at the time when he made it) yet he admits that it really has a special place in his heart which is why he still loves it. Could just be the same with Kojima in this case. The case being that he's just tsundere about it.
April 1995. I met her.

liquidus118
Zeruel
Zeruel

Postby liquidus118 » Wed May 30, 2012 7:41 am

View Original Postronri wrote:(apart from being his earliest work, something about him pouring all his beliefs and feelings into the story at the time when he made it) yet he admits that it really has a special place in his heart which is why he still loves it.
God, I wonder how Anno feels about Eva then. He must have been cringing for the 10 or so years it took him to start work on Rebuild.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”