Shinji X Asuka

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:49 pm

>> I don't think many people dislike Asuka per se. They just disapprove of her possible relationships with Shinji

Fixed.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Digitalex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Digitalex » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:07 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:>> I don't think many people dislike Asuka per se. They just disapprove of her possible relationships with Shinji

Fixed.

LOL! ...and you sound like a protective father.

Father Tines wrote:I've not seen any real Asuka bashing here, and I'm usually quite sensitive to slights to my little girl.

:wink:
Alex D.

Ryo
Matarael
Matarael

Postby Ryo » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:36 am

... Can I just say that I'm a hardcore Asuka/Shinji shipper and leave it at that?
Asuka > Rei

Titus
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby Titus » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:39 am

*preps brass knuckles and loads gun...*
"I say Evamonkey did it himself. After seeing that Titus had more Eva images than him, he was driven into a fit of jealousy that led him to set this up in the hope of infecting everyone with a trojan that automatically rooted through their harddrives and sending him any images he didnt already have." - Space Penis
"some of the most intelligent people I know are complete fuck ups, and some of the less intelligent ones are incredibly interesting and promising." - The Eva Monkey
"Titus I love you!" - Zugzwang
"TITUS + ADSL = Disaster" - Timesplitter 01

Ryo
Matarael
Matarael

Postby Ryo » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:40 am

*readies katana and steps forward into a fighting stance*

Bring it.
Asuka > Rei

Titus
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby Titus » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:45 am

It's like that huh?

*Pulls 2 lightsabers from belt*

*click, click, ttzzzzzzzzzz*

*runs at ryo*

HHAAAAARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!
"I say Evamonkey did it himself. After seeing that Titus had more Eva images than him, he was driven into a fit of jealousy that led him to set this up in the hope of infecting everyone with a trojan that automatically rooted through their harddrives and sending him any images he didnt already have." - Space Penis
"some of the most intelligent people I know are complete fuck ups, and some of the less intelligent ones are incredibly interesting and promising." - The Eva Monkey

RuaDragon
Adam

Postby RuaDragon » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:16 am

Trowa_Ayanami wrote:
RuaDragon wrote:Whoever mentioned that Shinji/Rei would work because they are similar (and used the same reason to say Asuka/Touji would work), IMHO you are an idiot. Having a similar temperament isn't the only thing, in fact some people break up because they're too similar, and other members just finished discussing this exact same thing, geez! :x AND WHERE THE HELL DID YOU GET THE IDEA THAT Asuka WANTS SOMEONE TO BEAT HER AT HER OWN GAME!!! DO YOU EVEN WATCH THE SHOW!

:evil: WELL, EXCUSS ME FOR EXPRESSING MY OPINION!!!!!! :evil:

For Christ sake, I was just saying why I felt Shinji/Rei suited better since like I said in another post in this topic, some opposites don't always attract. Like K2Grey said, similiarities are better than opposites for a relationship.

As for the Asuka/Touji suggestion, it was just a case with Asuka's personality from before we know about her past. Whenever Asuka gets into her usual ranting, I felt that she belonged to someone who actually had the balls to fight back to her at her own game and Touji was the one that sprung to mind.

These were just opinions of mine that I expressed and you start to chew on my ass about it? Jeez.

Sorry. That was quite rude of me. It was pretty late when I wrote that, and I was tired (you can tell by the exclamation points), and when I'm tired I tend not to be my usual polite self. I misinterpreted your comment about Asuka and Touji. By "beat her at her own game", I thought you meant someone to overpower her (for lack of a better term), just another example of the belief that a woman, no matter how strong, really wants - no - needs a stronger man to dominate her. That kind of thinking hits a really sensitive nerve with me. Which is basically why I blew up at you. Again, I apologies for my rudeness.
"Dying is not romantic, and death is not a game which will soon be over...Death is not anything...Death is not...It's the absence of presence , nothing more...The endless time of never coming back...a gap you can't see, and when the wind blows through it, it makes no sound..."
- Guildenstern

Trowa_Ayanami
Lilith

Postby Trowa_Ayanami » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:46 am

RuaDragon wrote:
Trowa_Ayanami wrote:
RuaDragon wrote:Whoever mentioned that Shinji/Rei would work because they are similar (and used the same reason to say Asuka/Touji would work), IMHO you are an idiot. Having a similar temperament isn't the only thing, in fact some people break up because they're too similar, and other members just finished discussing this exact same thing, geez! :x AND WHERE THE HELL DID YOU GET THE IDEA THAT Asuka WANTS SOMEONE TO BEAT HER AT HER OWN GAME!!! DO YOU EVEN WATCH THE SHOW!

:evil: WELL, EXCUSS ME FOR EXPRESSING MY OPINION!!!!!! :evil:

For Christ sake, I was just saying why I felt Shinji/Rei suited better since like I said in another post in this topic, some opposites don't always attract. Like K2Grey said, similiarities are better than opposites for a relationship.

As for the Asuka/Touji suggestion, it was just a case with Asuka's personality from before we know about her past. Whenever Asuka gets into her usual ranting, I felt that she belonged to someone who actually had the balls to fight back to her at her own game and Touji was the one that sprung to mind.

These were just opinions of mine that I expressed and you start to chew on my ass about it? Jeez.

Sorry. That was quite rude of me. It was pretty late when I wrote that, and I was tired (you can tell by the exclamation points), and when I'm tired I tend not to be my usual polite self. I misinterpreted your comment about Asuka and Touji. By "beat her at her own game", I thought you meant someone to overpower her (for lack of a better term), just another example of the belief that a woman, no matter how strong, really wants - no - needs a stronger man to dominate her. That kind of thinking hits a really sensitive nerve with me. Which is basically why I blew up at you. Again, I apologies for my rudeness.

Apology accepted. I see what you meant that it was late. Since when you posted your flaming comment at me, it was at 11:47am from where I am (Northern Ireland) and it must have been, what, 5:47 or 6:47 in the morning from where you were. Again, that's OK. Not everyone has the same opinion and I understand completely.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:31 pm

Digitalex wrote:...and you sound like a protective father.

Well, that is how she made me feel : something to do with the age difference, I assume.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby DatDude » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:04 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:

Well, that is how she made me feel : something to do with the age difference, I assume.

Awww Mr Tines want to give Asuka a hug and make the mental truma go away ^_^

Thats cutie.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

K2Grey
Adam

Postby K2Grey » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:18 pm

Trowa_Ayanami wrote:As for the Asuka/Touji suggestion, it was just a case with Asuka's personality from before we know about her past. Whenever Asuka gets into her usual ranting, I felt that she belonged to someone who actually had the balls to fight back to her at her own game and Touji was the one that sprung to mind.

Asuka, being human, is a pretty complex person. It's not easy to figure out who she would have the best relationship with (although the plot kinda forces them together, despite the growing antagonism after ep. 15 and even after two separate attempts by one of them to kill the other). Whether a more argumentative person would have better luck with her, I dunno. In "Both of you, dance like you want to win!" Shinji and Asuka were continuously bitching at each other, yet it didn't necessarily improve things. For sure, after Shinji had the number one synch ratio, Asuka would have been mad pissed whether Shinji avoided her, acted like nothing happened, or rubbed it in (in fact, the latter might trigger a murder attempt or something) and that event, on its own, probably blew away all chances of a good relationship between them, barring something dramatic like a Third Impact totally shaking things up.

Mr. Tines wrote:S/R is a much more other-focussed relationship, both in the hesitant beginning in ep#6, and the sub-canonical vol#8 of the manga. Asuka's use of Shinji is much more selfish, in that respect - she acts out of out of quiet desperation, to try and fill an inner void, in a world where there is no-one else quite like her that she might seek sympathy from.

S/R is also the relationship where even by episode 23 they don't really know anything about the other, what the other is like, or anything in particular at all, because they're so afraid of damaging the relationship. Then again, there were quite a few sensitive topics between them, such as "Hey, my alter ego took out Touji for you, you should thank me", "How did you make a completely unexplained sudden appearance on Tokyo-3's streets when you were supposedly in the hospital bed?", and "Shinji, I am your mother!" Still, in order for them to get together they have to start calling each other "Shinji" and "Rei" first, instead of "Ikari" and "Ayanami".

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:05 pm

K2Grey wrote:that event, on its own, probably blew away all chances of a good relationship between them

That was just the vicious circle cutting in, after the debacle of the previous episode.

K2Grey wrote:S/R is also the relationship where even by episode 23 they don't really know anything about the other

At least in part because Kaji put the ki-bosh on that relationship just about as soon as it might have started.

TsubasaNoKoikokoro
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby TsubasaNoKoikokoro » Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:08 pm

Anyone else notice that Rei is important from episode 1-7 and then she becomes a background character for the most part?

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:26 pm

Tsu-chan wrote:Anyone else notice that Rei is important from episode 1-7 and then she becomes a background character for the most part?

Depends how you define "important". In terms of decibel level and onscreen presence, yes Rei is rather much a background character.

However in terms of overall impact on the story as a whole Rei is pretty much key. In fact while it may, in some warped and twisted way, be possible to edit Asuka out of evangelion while retaining the meaning of the story, Rei's deletion would leave everyone looking rather silly.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby DatDude » Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:30 pm

Tsu-chan wrote:Anyone else notice that Rei is important from episode 1-7 and then she becomes a background character for the most part?

Yep I noticed this, I was glad when she was replaced with an imported modle :)
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Digitalex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Digitalex » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:16 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:

True true...

So how would you feel if you were just a few years older than her than? Brotherly then?
Alex D.

Titus
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby Titus » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:07 am

DatDude wrote:Yep I noticed this, I was glad when she was replaced with an imported modle :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, Germany makes the best imports/replacements no?

TheBlueTree
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby TheBlueTree » Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:02 pm

AxS as a acouple... that would be exactly like the eva comics (link on the front page here) i love those comics... cus knowing the both of them... thats probly what would happen...
Mr. Bud
"Suits? You've got to be kidding me.
Mighty Morphin' Ev-an-gel-i-ooooonnnn!"

Seele 08
"Is it a sign that you might be an otaku when your betta fish are all named after anime characters? One betta is named....Gendo. No wonder my mom and freinds think I'm a nut case."

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:42 pm

Not only does that follow the stereotypical storyline (boy meets girl; brash outsider intervenes; then, in the stereotype at least, true love wins through); but if Shinji were to become close to Rei, then he - and we - would probably find out too much too soon.

Digitalex wrote:So how would you feel if you were just a few years older than her than? Brotherly then?

Depends on "a few" - the pivotal incident that meant that I really felt Asuka's pain I didn't suffer until I was about 5 years older then her; before then I would most likely have been a drooling Rei fanboy instead. After that, then I might well have wanted to be her white knight.

A thirty-something Asuka and me now - I could think she was hot, though more than that would depend on how she grew up - neurotic like Ritsuko, slutty like Misato, or totally centred (and probably quiet frankly scary with it).

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Space Penis » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:48 am

I think we can all agree that this is the cutest couple ever:
:P
Tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise!

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”