Eva on Blu Ray?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

facespace
Lilith

Eva on Blu Ray?

•      
  •      

Postby facespace » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:39 pm

Have they re-released NGE on Blu Ray? I have it on dvd, but I would love to have a copy of the show in a higher rez and better sound quality.
PEWPEWPEW

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:51 pm

Amazon doesn't show NGE in anything other than regular DVDs and VHS. I think that only Rebuild is in Blu Ray.
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Gamer137
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer137 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:58 pm

View Original PostKnightmareX13 wrote:Amazon doesn't show NGE in anything other than regular DVDs and VHS. I think that only Rebuild is in Blu Ray.

Shows really are retro when they have VHS copies. Just a random thought.

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:40 pm

Currently, there is no Blu-ray edition of Evangelion or an official announcement of a future release, but it's obvious that there will be one.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Re: Eva on Blu Ray?

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:55 pm

View Original Postfacespace wrote:Have they re-released NGE on Blu Ray? I have it on dvd, but I would love to have a copy of the show in a higher rez and better sound quality.

Evangelion was shot on 16mm film, which is insufficient for HD. If they do make one, you will be spending money on something in a different format that is only slightly better.

Just get yourself a Thinpack DVD set. That will have you set.

Blu-Ray of The End of Evangelion on the other hand...

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Killer Bee » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:06 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Blu-Ray of The End of Evangelion on the other hand...

Just what we need, High Octane Nightmare Fuel in glorious 1080p resolution. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, that'd be so awesome to see. Does Manga Entertainment still have the rights to EoE? Or are we now waiting for Funimation to pick it up?

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:35 pm

A Blu Ray re-release would be nice to see, but I'm not sure how it will turn out on screen. I hear most anime series on Blu Ray are not that much different from the normal DVD's you get.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:26 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Evangelion was shot on 16mm film, which is insufficient for HD.
Errr, why? HD TVs are the equivalent of a 3 megapixel camera, while 16mm would be roughly 10 megapixels...
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

facespace
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby facespace » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:55 am

I thought that 16mm was able to scale a bit higher than 1080P (Like barely). But there are processes to upscale film, they did that for films that are shot on 30mm and are upscaled to 70mm for imax purposes.
PEWPEWPEW

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:30 am

There's a lot of threads on the AVS forums about film to digital transfers. Although physically there's enough detail on 16mm to do a 2k scan or higher, the problem is mostly the number of "quality" pixels, which all comes down to the type of film, the speed, the process of the filming, what you are filming, your lenses, the amount of light, whether there's a tripod or handheld, etc. There was one guy who does these transfers and said that he sometimes got less than a megapixel of quality pixels from 16mm motion film, and sometimes it's closer to 6 or 7. This is why they prefer doing 35mm to digital transfers because you're guaranteed to get enough quality pixels for something like 1080 HD.

I've never seen it myself, but there are people on AVS that claim the scenes from Morocco in the movie Babel were shot on 16mm film while the rest of the movie was 35. Maybe you can tell the difference.

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:01 am

I haven't done so myself, but check out how The Hurt Locker looks on Blu-Ray. That film was completely shot in 16mm. In fact, it's the only film to win Best Picture to have been done so. Could be a gauge of how Eva would look on Blu-Ray.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Corb
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Corb » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:07 am

What I would do for End of Evangelion on Blu... it would probably end up the favorite disc in my entire collection.

Too bad the chances of that are practically nil with all the attention on the Rebuilds now.

If the original series ever ends up in high def, I think they could make it look good, but it better maintain it's original aspect ratio. Gainax has been good about that though, the Gunbuster Blu maintains it's original ratio - and looks amazing.

The pan-n-scan in Evangelion: Death is really blah, imo.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:22 am

Hell, with EoE I'd be happy with a DVD that didn't look like it was shot through the sticky white blob in Shinji's hand.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

facespace
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby facespace » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:22 am

View Original PostBomby von Bombsville wrote:I haven't done so myself, but check out how The Hurt Locker looks on Blu-Ray. That film was completely shot in 16mm. In fact, it's the only film to win Best Picture to have been done so. Could be a gauge of how Eva would look on Blu-Ray.

Except for the extreme slow motion explosion in the beginning of the movie. That was shot on a phantom camera all digital.

Well I am surprised that haven't tried something about up scaling the video.
PEWPEWPEW

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:13 pm

View Original Postfacespace wrote:Well I am surprised that haven't tried something about up scaling the video.

If you're talking about Evangelion, there was an HD broadcast of the TV series maybe a year or 2 ago on BS11 channel, I think. It was 4:3 and simply upscaled.

Halicat
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Halicat » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:51 pm

View Original PostKiller Bee wrote:Does Manga Entertainment still have the rights to EoE? Or are we now waiting for Funimation to pick it up?

Their rights to the movie has expired, hence why the DVD is out of print and usually selling for so much despite it's awful quality [I unknowingly bought it for £28 not realising it was so awful or the existence of the Renewal version :boohoo: ]

EoE on blu-rei would make me SO DAMN HAPPY. I nearly fell all over myself upon discovering Akira was on blu-rei, granted, when I compared it to Manga Entertainment's digital remaster from 03 there was only a slight upgrade in quality [Mostly a lot of the background detail which was very blotchy in the remaster but beautifully crisp in HD, it's worth it when you consider the level of detail of the entire feature.] I can only imagine how a film like EoE with such stunning visuals would look with even more crisp detail. :heart:

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:18 pm

View Original Postfacespace wrote:Except for the extreme slow motion explosion in the beginning of the movie. That was shot on a phantom camera all digital.

Completely incorrect. The film was shot with four 16mm cameras all running simultaneously. The Wrestler was also shot entirely in super 16.

I can cite Professor Jeff Smith of the University of Wisconsin and these articles:

http://www.imago.org/index.php?new=197
http://www.fujifilm.com/products/motion_picture/information/1031_03.html
http://www.patriciathomson.net/AC-Hurt_Locker.html
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:56 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:There's a lot of threads on the AVS forums about film to digital transfers. Although physically there's enough detail on 16mm to do a 2k scan or higher, the problem is mostly the number of "quality" pixels, which all comes down to the type of film, the speed, the process of the filming, what you are filming, your lenses, the amount of light, whether there's a tripod or handheld, etc. There was one guy who does these transfers and said that he sometimes got less than a megapixel of quality pixels from 16mm motion film, and sometimes it's closer to 6 or 7. This is why they prefer doing 35mm to digital transfers because you're guaranteed to get enough quality pixels for something like 1080 HD.
Excellent post, Ornette. I once read that megapixels and film resolution ultimately only give you an idea of the MAXIMUM quality that any given frame can contain, but it comes down to the very things you list (type of film, speed, processing, lenses, etc.) that determine whether you actually DO get the maximum out of it. That said, I think the point is that 16mm certainly has the potential of offering much higher quality than even blu-ray can achieve.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

facespace
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby facespace » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:44 pm

And that I why I always shoot RAW files.
PEWPEWPEW

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”