Favorite/Least Favorite Eva Episodes and Why

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:24 pm

That includes a separate discussion of Shinji, too...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Ideograph
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ideograph » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:40 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:That includes a separate discussion of Shinji, too...

He's easily the most polarizing character on the show, bar none.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:04 pm

View Original PostIdeograph wrote:He's easily the most polarizing character on the show, bar none.

Depends on where you go. Around here that's true for the NTE version of the character, but it's far less cut and dried with NGE. I would say Rei and Asuka are equally polarizing in their own ways around here, Asuka perhaps more than the others. But that's to be expected since we're relying more on the sub than the dub and thus aren't unduly swayed by Spencer's horrible rendition of the character.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:46 pm

Y'all episode 9 haters can go to hell, it was directed by Seiji Mizushima and is everything a comic relief episode should be. Provided elasticity in the tone (and did it gracefully) while still containing critical advancements in character development. In fact, some of that character development might not have been possible if the show wasn't able to approach it lightheartedly (real people laugh and cry).

If there was any episode that didn't really need to be there it was eisode 7, and even that had the Misato wedding-angst subplot.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

ReiAyanami25
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby ReiAyanami25 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:16 am

I wouldn't call any episodes 'the worst,' however, I dislike the first half of Episode 14 due to its general tediousness.
生は、死の始まり。そして再生は、夢の終わり。
"I write only because there is a voice within me that will not be still." - SP

Rei Ayanami's beauty comes from the truth that she has feelings...the struggle to draw your feelings forth, the reconciliation between your surface and your death - that, I believe, is where we truly become alive, truly become human beings." -Hayashibara Megumi

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:42 am

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:If there was any episode that didn't really need to be there it was eisode 7, and even that had the Misato wedding-angst subplot.

You're thinking of [s]14[/s] 15. The subplot of 7 was Shinji bonding with Toji and Kensuke and discovering that Misato is his new "family".
Last edited by Reichu on Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:27 am

Nah, both of those things are established in other episodes, even if 7 reinforces them. 14 is actually important because it gives us our first extended look at SEELE and strong foreshadowing of Rei's forthcoming existential crisis and the show's shift in tone.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:16 am

Did I say 14? I meant 15. -o-;

But 07 is when Shinji fully accepts Misato as "family". The final scene spells it out.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”