Favorite/Least Favorite Eva Episodes and Why

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:21 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:The arcs in NGE are generally fanon, though.

The link was in reply to
Born of Lilith wrote:I didn't know that a 26 episode-long anime could be divided into "arcs,"

Higurashi (also mentioned in that article) is 26 episode and has 6 arcs.

Fireand'chutes77
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fireand'chutes77 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:31 pm

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:It IS my favorite of the "action arc" (or "Act II" as I'd call it). I've always thought it was a lot like WarGames, and I do think it was an essential episode for developing Ritsuko's character.

Agreed. I haven't watched it for a few weeks so the specific details are a little faded (though this is thread is encouraging me to watch it again!), but I clearly remember it being a highly effective nail-biter. Yes, it's the episode precisely halfway through the series, so we know how it's going to turn out, but the tension was well done nonetheless.
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. JSDF attack ships on fire during Operation Yashima. I watched particle beams glitter in the dark near the Geofront. All these moments will be lost in time. Like LCL in rain. Time to die." ~ ANT Pogo
Asuka: founder of

Born of Lilith
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Born of Lilith » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:34 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:The link was in reply to

Higurashi (also mentioned in that article) is 26 episode and has 6 arcs.

Good for Higurashi?
SWAG
ME
THE
FUCK
OUT

Ramiel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ramiel » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:05 am

Twenty-six episodes is definitely enough for multiple arcs. The arcs that people have made for NGE seem to fit what's going on pretty well, too. I like to think of them as 'shit is about to hit the fan', 'shit is currently hitting the fan' and 'shit has hit the fan'.

On topic, though, episode 13 is pretty great. EvangelionFan has already shown us one good reason (also, in that scene, is it just me or is the security camera turning back on as they walk naked?). Underage nudity, hooray!

Ahem.

As Stryker said, NGE is not solely about the Childs. This episode is an important one for Ritsuko especially, but the bridge bunnies get some precious screen time, too. The moment where Maya is wowed by Ritsuko's typing speed sticks out in my mind. It may not be all that significant, but it does help to emphasise her admiration for Ritsuko and it's little bites of characterisation like that that can help make the characters seem fuller.

There's also the whole 'the MAGI are three different aspects of Naoko' thing, which as mentioned is introduced in this episode. It makes sense that she would have some sort of presence after her death - after all, she is the only parent other than Yui and Gendo that we actually get to see over the course of the series (correct me if I'm wrong here). It's sensible in-universe, too. She was the one to design the MAGI after all and it's understandable that she would want to give such powerful machines some essences of humanity. Who better to donate said essences than herself? Plus, it probably crossed her mind that a part of her would be immortalised if she gave it her brain. That must've seemed like a pretty cool idea.

The action in this one is awesome, fyi. Never before have I been so interested in a bunch of programmers programmin'. I suppose haters gonna hate and waiters gonna wait and so on, but I was impressed by the intensity of the keyboard tapping. Rits' "I have a whole second to spare" line makes me smile, too. I'd also like to mention the sound effects made by Iruel. Those are pretty wicked.
I frequently herp where I should derp. Also music.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:39 am

View Original PostRamiel wrote:On topic, though, episode 13 is pretty great. EvangelionFan has already shown us one good reason (also, in that scene, is it just me or is the security camera turning back on as they walk naked?).

I believe it is, yes.

As Stryker said, NGE is not solely about the Childs.

Julia?

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:25 am

Not for me it's not. There is already a thread about Ep. 11 being "ass": i like to think about these two episodes in a bundle. Showing that the soft underbelly of Nerv is their dependence on the technology they use, along with some hints of shady "behind the scenes" going ons would be enough for me to classify these eps as cool, but, as others have mentioned, they both have tons of character development going on.

Plus, Ep. 13 also helps give the show a veneer of sci fi-ness. This window dressing is ultimately unimportant when analyzing the main narrative, sure, but it does help in making NGE more intriguing, spicing up what otherwise would be a soap opera about parental issues.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:50 am

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:Edit: Shinji in the middle. Shinji sandwich. Maybe Shinji and Asuka did it and accident went into each others' shower cubicles afterwards.

...Nah, they just wanted to compose that scene with Shinji in the middle.

Yeah, he probably wouldn't look like he's trying to cover himself if they had done it. He'd probably feel more comfortable to let it all hang out.

I dunno. I kinda liked episode 13. it's not my favorite and "can't you see the genius???" or anything like that. I do like the animation where Rituko is on her back and opening the hatch to her mom's brain while Misato was talking to her. It looked so detailed in it's movement.

Beyond that, it did seem like the series was only exploring a sci-fi aspect of the show just for the sake of it. Though, if that episode didn't happen the way it did people might be asking "couldn't the angel just infest the system?" And we wouldn't want a plot hole this early in the game now, would we?

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:30 am

View Original PostBorn of Lilith wrote:I mean, if you really want to segregate the different stages of the show into "lighthearted beginning," "things getting serious" and "shit just went down," go for it, I guess.
It's not exactly uncommon in fiction to separate a single work into multiple arcs or acts. Elizabethan theater usually had 5 acts, and their plays are much shorter than NGE. Hell, every episode is divided into two halves because of the TV format. It's good because it's helpful to create smaller structures within larger ones so it doesn't get unwieldy. NGE actually follows a 5-act structure much more closely than a 3-act one. See here.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:06 pm

View Original Postesselfortium wrote:Julia?

Wait.. what? I don't get it.

Anyways, Episode 13 may be "ass", but it is still important. I myself am not amused by programmers typing extraneously to save the world, but it ultimately shows that, "There are more then just robots in this story".
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:15 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:"There are more then just robots in this story".

You're totally setting yourself up here. But I'm too lazy to do the honors.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

bigbadtyrant
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby bigbadtyrant » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:30 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:"There are more then just robots in this story".

I die a little more on the inside for everytime someone calls the super advanced, money consuming, cyborg mechs ROBOTS!!!
From the shadows i come!!!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:48 am

BTW, the commentary-thingies that were written for the Renewal release of NGE refer to story arcs. Here's an example (CTRL+F "arc").

http://www.evamonkey.com/platinum_vol2_episode_commentaries.htm
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

BC Baron
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby BC Baron » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:25 am

View Original Postesselfortium wrote:Julia?

Wow. That takes me back to the good old days when my whole family would gather around the television every weekend to watch her cook dishes I couldn't pronounce on PBS.

Now then, getting back to episode thirteen. Well, FWIW I liked it and I feel that it contained some interesting contributions to where the series was heading toward the second half of its run. For example:

Ireul seems to display some traits (infection/infiltration) that would also later be observed in Bardiel. I suppose you could even argue that it was the first of several angels to follow that would attempt some sort of 'contact' as an element of its attack.

By concealing the existence of the eleventh angel, Gendo seems to take his first overt steps (unless I'm not giving enough weight to earlier actions) at trying to feed SEELE misinformation/undermine their scenario/throw off their interpretation of the Dead Sea Scrolls.

It's been a while since I've seen the episode, but as far as the strategy to defeat Ireul was concerned, I recall a discussion took place between NERV's command staff and bridge crew which involved artificially steering the angel's evolution down a path of extinction. Now, depending on how much you want to read into it, I wonder whether some viewers see this as foreshadowing of what is later learned about SEELE, their opinion of the human race, and their version of the Instrumentality Project.

Finally, Ritsuko gets a lot of character development here, which had been somewhat lacking up to this point in the series. We see her deal with some serious deadline-related stress and she basically assumes the role of protagonist for the duration of the episode, since she is the first and only person to successfully defeat an angel without utilizing any of the Evas. While she reveals quite a bit to both Misato and the audience regarding memories of her mother and its accompanying residual emotional baggage, you can't help get the feeling that it was only the tip of the iceberg. I believe that this type of episode was necessary to properly set the stage for what we later find out about Ritsuko's hidden affair with Gendo, her secret agenda, and her eventual nervous breakdown in episode twenty-three.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:28 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote: "There are more to the series then giant human beings of near-godlike power in this story".

dar, i fxd et.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:17 pm

I liked Episode 13, probably because it appealed to the computer savvy person I am. Plus it was a nice change of pace to focus on other characters than the Children.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Combs
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Combs » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:46 am

I love all episodes equally. Yes, my opinion has changed on them since the ranked episodes thread. ... it's time for a rewatch.
Proud founder, and sole member of A.I.D.S
"Can you bond with someone, over a television show? ...neuuugh?" -Craig Ferguson
"her BREASTS are like THE MAJOR'S from GHOAST In the MACHINE, She is like a person with CYBORG RADIATOR BREATSTS that do not WORK unless EXPOSED or in TIGHT CLOTHING or else the EXPELLED HEAT managed to SET THINGS ON FIRE" -chee, on misogyny

SenorSquiid
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Episode 19 is ass

•      
  •      

Postby SenorSquiid » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:54 pm

Ass-Kicking!

Hurr durr

Please don't hurt me.
fnord

---
I will never stop trashing Magma Diver.
Ever.

Grimmjow
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Grimmjow » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:05 pm

I get all the honnies with my Zeruel tentacles.

AshPhoenix
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AshPhoenix » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:05 pm

SenorSquiid wrote:Please don't hurt me.

Too bad. :sadomaso:

In all seriousness, though, episode 19 is pretty awesome.
Ritsuko: It can't be...an Angel devoured an Eva? That's impossible!
Maya: That's strange. The target's identification signal is turning into Zerogouki's!
~Once again proving...you are what you eat.~

(After adding something sexual to a perfectly normal post) "Fixed." --Apparently everybody on this forum.
It is unnerving to be proven wrong, particularly when you are really right and the person who is really wrong is the one who is proving you wrong and proving himself, wrongly, right. Right?

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:07 pm

I agree. It was a great episode.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”