The most powerful scene in any Evangelion media

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Velefor
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Velefor » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:14 pm

EoE, Shinji strangle Asuka and starts instrumentally. Komm, süsser Tod playing and humanity as we know it vanishes. I was never able to forget this moments. I believe that I even a have shed a tear while listening to the song.

By the way since then I always listen to it after having break up with lover or friend.
"The only frontier that has ever existed is the self."
- Helios, DE:IW
"Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude."
- Michel Eyquem de Montaigne

supershinjiasukashipper
"doggy"

•      
  •      

Postby supershinjiasukashipper » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:17 pm

View Original PostVelefor wrote:
By the way since then I always listen to it after having break up with lover or friend.

So do I, that and Sukiyaki performed by Utada Hikaru.
SPOILER: Show
I wank to the fantasy of her coming to comfort me if ya know what I mean. I love Utada Hikaru, she is hot.
Interesting Quote:
ANTA just went full BAKA - Tines-sans reaction to my MS paint thread fail.
my fanfic.net account, enjoy my work, praise me! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2164682/
Forgive my spelling errors, my keyboard acts quite weird weird.

Dirty Mick
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Dirty Mick » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:25 pm

The scene Yui is floating away delivering her little existential speech, then you hear those bombastic horns play a small part of that sad piano song they play whenever Rei's on screen. It reminds me of this
Asuka's crazy, crazy mama.
Komm Feaking Todd. I did not see that coming.
Shinji and Asuka dancing like they want to win. Suck on THAT Dancing With The Stars!
Also the very first scene of the show with the lined up on the coast.

BeoX2
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby BeoX2 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:35 pm

View Original PostDirty Mick wrote:The scene Yui is floating away delivering her little existential speech, then you hear those bombastic horns play a small part of that sad piano song they play whenever Rei's on screen. It reminds me of this
Asuka's crazy, crazy mama.
Komm Feaking Todd. I did not see that coming.
Shinji and Asuka dancing like they want to win. Suck on THAT Dancing With The Stars!
Also the very first scene of the show with the lined up on the coast.

I think that music is "Rei III" or one of the previous ones.

Rei I: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l12TvP5nMVg

Rei II: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw4zx9dGlx8

Rei III: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlL2Soci6eY

Rei Opus V (From Rebuild): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvBUxLEN-qk

My guess is Rei III, but you'd know better than me.
"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with his experience."

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:36 pm

TV/EoE:

~Asuka's mindrape. Upsetting, but it's still fascinating insight into her character.

~Episode 26 "Congratulations!" sequence. Shinji finally reaching self-acceptance; his parents being shown last implying he came to terms with them both and isn't dependent on either of them anymore... Beautiful stuff.

~Misato's pep talk/dying words to Shinji, in both EoE and the Eva2 game. I'm not sure how to articulate this one other than it's my favorite scene in the first half/episode 25' of EoE.

~EoE Kitchen scene. Tragic with how both Asuka and Shinji have reached their breaking points.

~Visually-speaking--not just dialogue and visuals--Eva-01 breaking free from GNR and making things right. That sequence is damn powerful, espeically with the fitting, somewhat uplifting, piece Expansion of Blockage. (Shinji and Yui parting ways is powerful too, but it doesn't automatically come to my mind. At any rate, Shinji's final words is amazing stuff while Yui's explanation for Eva-01 is bittersweet.)

~EoE's final scene. What a way to end the series.

Manga:

~Nothing from Sadamoto's manga really sticks out except for Misato's death. Taking out some JSSDF soldiers as a means of preventing Shinji/other Nerv staff was bad ass on her part.

~Shinji and Asuka's confession in Angelic Days/GoS2 manga, volume 4, is "daww"-worthy.

~Likewise, I really feel for poor Ritsuko and Rei in their chapter in volume 6 with their unrequited loves. The other chapters featuring the various couples are just adorable and never fail to make me smile with their ending(s). (I don't see why ADV manga insisted on translating 大好き ("I like you a lot/I really like you") as "I'm crazy about you", but whatever I guess.)

Game(s):

~One scene in particular comes to mind. It's from Shinji's first scenario (Angel Attack)--which is based on series events--in Eva2. After Kaworu dies (there isn't a way to save Kaworu/have him join fighting alongside Nerv, considering it's TV-based), Shinji panics while sitting in Eva-01 and starts to call for Kaworu frantically. He asks, in a close-to-tears voice why this has to be Kaworu's/their fate, then lets out a long-ass scream of the damned.

It's a very nice yet heart-wrenching scene. Director's Cut 24' should have included something with Shinji in such agony, I think.

New Movie Edition:

~Shinji telling Rei to smile at the end of 1.11. Prettier graphics and better facial expressions make it as moving as the accompanying sequence in Episode 6 and Death.

~Bardiel battle in 2.22. The juxtaposition of a children's song (Kyou no Hi wa Sayonara) with the upscaled violence managed to make the battle all the more disturbing--let alone the fact Shinji's aware of who the victim is this time around.

~Operation Rescue Ayanami in 2.22. Delicious irony is delicious.

EDIT:

The music that plays from the LCL Sea scene up until Yui says "It'll be alright" (the shot of the Spear lit up by the sun) is Expansion of Blockage (that's how my Refrain of Eva CD translates the piece as). Yes, this features the motif from Rei I.

Shinji and Yui parting ways features the song A hole in the Dream (Yume no sukima) which is another variation of Borderline Case. (EoE by itself has like, 5 variations of that piece.)
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

supershinjiasukashipper
"doggy"

•      
  •      

Postby supershinjiasukashipper » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:39 pm

Thanks Star Dust-sama, I almost forgot that final scene from episode 26, it always gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling. I love it so much.
Interesting Quote:
ANTA just went full BAKA - Tines-sans reaction to my MS paint thread fail.
my fanfic.net account, enjoy my work, praise me! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2164682/
Forgive my spelling errors, my keyboard acts quite weird weird.

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:59 pm

Unfortunately, I have more than one:
EoE:
EVA-01 face to face with Lilith (GNR) (flowing, terrifying, suspensful, perfect)
The Third impact when all humans die and the souls are collected on the Black Moon
The Collapse of The "Air" sequence: the middle of the battle of EVA-02 vs. Mass-produced EVAs
...oh, F it, all of the scenes of EoE are my favorite! :rei_hissyfit:

NGE:
Episode 18: Battle of EVA-01 vs. Bardiel (EVA-03)
Episode 19: Battle of EVA-01 vs. Zeruel
Episode 22: Asuka's mind-rape attack by Arael :asuka_sad: I feel you're pain, too, Asuka.
Episode 24: Showdown of Kaworu vs. EVA-01

Rebuild (if you haven't seen Rebuild yet, do not read this yet!):
Evangelion 1.0:
EVA-01 vs. Sachiel (yes, I prefer this over the NGE version.

Evangelion 2.0
EVA-01 vs. Bardiel (more F***ed up than the TV version.)
Entire Showdown of EVA-01 vs. Zeurel

Yep. These scenes always made me excited and scared at the same time. :eva01_roar:

KLVTZ
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby KLVTZ » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:54 pm

The part when Rei has N2 Bomb and runs towards the angel to destroy it, for some reason that always touches me of her self-sacrifice to kill the Angel. but the deaths in the Evangelion universe is pretty powerful, and the mindfucks as always are a big moment impact.
"It's good to be open minded......but not so open that your brain falls out."-physicist Richard Feynman

Ironfoot
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Ironfoot » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:57 pm

The live action sequence with "Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring" playing gets me every time I watch it.

Starasp
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Starasp » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:30 pm

The scene where Asuka walks into the room and finds her mom's corpse, hanging from the ceiling. When that door slammed, I jumped. Not from it scaring me, but the fact that I was so enthralled by it, the sharp noise threw me out of it HARD.
My handwriting is atrocious, so I cannot sign my signature. Sorry for any trouble this may cause.

"We do not experience fear, but we understand how it affects you." -Legion

"The point is that I am now a perfectly safe penguin, and my colleague here is rapidly running out of limbs!" - Ford Prefect, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:20 pm

View Original PostStarasp wrote:The scene where Asuka walks into the room and finds her mom's corpse, hanging from the ceiling. When that door slammed, I jumped. Not from it scaring me, but the fact that I was so enthralled by it, the sharp noise threw me out of it HARD.

:asuka_sad: You have to bring up that very emotional scene, don't you? Gets me every time I see this clip.

Rei Makes You Go Splat
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Rei Makes You Go Splat » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:09 pm

Man oh man, where do I begin? There are so many scenes in Eva that enthralled me the first time I saw them, I can't just narrow it down to one scene while ignoring the others. Here's my top 10, which is most certainly likely to change any time soon:

1. Komm Susser Tod - the most perfect sequence in the history of everything.
2. Unit-01 vs. Zeruel - 'Nuff said.
3. Post-Third Impact World - I was trembling when I first saw it. A perfect way to end the series.
4. Shinji reconstructing his world - You know, the "existential" scene in Episode 26. Gainax cleverly found a way to win you over with beautiful imagery on such a low budget.
5. Unit-01 vs. Unit-03 - A bit emotionally manipulative, but who didn't start fantasizing about Unit-01 biting Gendo's head off after watching this.
6. Misato's death - You can't help but feel like you've lost a great friend after this scene. I came close to tears the first time I watched it.
7. Kaworu entering Terminal Dogma - The most pretentious death scene of all time? Sure, but I was still utterly captivated the whole time, mainly because I really thought that Kaworu was going to make contact with Adam.
8. Unit-01 breaking free from Leliel - At this moment, one really felt that all hope was lost for Shinji, and the way it bursts through is just amazing. I remember the first time I saw it, I thought "Holy crap, that's a lot of blood."
9. Asuka's mind-rape DC - This scene is so emotionally charged it's truly disturbing. The combination of music and imagery leaves you dazed.
10. Kaji revealing Lilith - At this point, you knew that there was much more to the series than you originally assumed. A real shocking plot twist.

Unfortunately, you can only see this scenes for the first time once.
Evangelion extends life. Evangelion expands consciousness.

Six Winged Angel
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Six Winged Angel » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:23 pm

1) Episode 26 congratulations scene. We were literally crying like babies the last time we saw it.
2) Leliel bloodbath. Simply Fan-fakin-tastik, made me wanting to scream from the obsessive ownage it delivered, lol

3) Scenes from the later half where Eva-01 breaks out of GNR, grows wings and alters instrumentality. Multiple shivers up and down, hands down

4) Climax scenes from ep 18 and 19 and many more
~But someday you will come to understand that on your back, there are wings with which you can fly on the distant future.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:05 pm

Shinji demanding his freakin' GF back in 2.0

Heroes save teh chicks all the time, but if it's Shinji doing this, it blows up your head.

The episode 19 version of it (EVA going berserk) is not too un-traumatizing either.

...And of course, anything involving Kaworu. So little screentime. So MUCH EPICNESS.

Mari & Rei vs. Zeruel is also quite powerful.
I hardly list battle scenes, but Mari just IS that cool and Rei stating
that she wants to make sure Shinji never has to get into an EVA again after the bastard left her to sulk in his emo corner
is not too unimpressive also.

The "You did this" Moment ant the end of episode 25.

"Congratulations"

The times-of-the-Day-scene from ep. 26, for some weird reason...

Mayumi(from the Game): "I am... here..."
after Shinji foils her suicide attempt.

Any introspective thing. Asuka's Mind Rape, Episode 20, Rei's Poem... my fav is the one episode 16. "But it was YOU who ran away!"

But honestly, Evangelion is filled with impressive things to the brim. We can only talk about which moments are 'a tad more' impressive.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:47 pm

Shinji demanding his freakin' GF back in 2.0

Heroes save teh chicks all the time, but if it's Shinji doing this, it blows up your head.

I think its an understatement to suggest the music in said scene helps :P

Nyeeh
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Nyeeh » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:12 pm

I'm surprised that a certain scene in episode 21 hasn't been brought up.

Near the end of the episode, Misato returns home and notices there's a new message on her phone. She hesitates. Given the events of the episode, she is likely aware (at least subconsciously) of what this means.

Kaji's final message plays.

And Misato breaks down in tears.

Add to that the fact that Shinji is listening in on all of this but is too afraid to do anything and you have a really powerful scene. It’s definitely one of my favourites.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:32 pm

Heh, i could give the same answer as my last post in another similar thread which was 'Most of EOE' but ill plump for:

Rei's smile, ep 5 - With one simple action a character becomes an icon and make an entire generation of fanboys go all gooey inside.

Also the 'Good Morning Tokyo 3' scene in 2.0. This is the stuff that makes Eva so great. When would any western sci-fi film, let alone an animated one have such a beautiful put-together sequence of people simply off to work? You can have all your Bardiel-bashing and Rei-rescuing but for me its this that raises Eva to Ghibli levels of quality.

Music's great too in 'Good Morning...'. That scene, the kids song on the bardiel fight (a bit heavy handed that one but nevertheless) and Tsubasa wo kudasai are a mighty triumvarate of lump-in-the-throat musical moments. Especially the last one - it takes a strong will indeed not to leap up and go 'Oh yus!' as Shinji pulls Rei out as the choir and strings zoom off into the stratosphere.

ShadowGT
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ShadowGT » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:54 am

For me pretty much Most of EoE.

Also the scene where Asuka starts verbally abusing Shinji in his dream (the scene where she tells him he can masturbate infront of her if he wants) and tells him that he can have her but can have no one else ever or something like that. my memory is a little hazy right now.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:59 pm

View Original PostShadowGT wrote:For me pretty much Most of EoE.

Also the scene where Asuka starts verbally abusing Shinji in his dream
Checking with the screenplay translation at http://www.evaotaku.com/html/screenplay.html it goes like this

Asuka:
Idiot! I 'know' about your jerk-off fantasies of me.
Do it again like usual... I'll even stand here and watch.

(Rei, Asuka and Shinji inside an empty train - Asuka standing over Shinji, her breasts thrust in his face)

Asuka:
If you can't be all mine, then I don't need you!
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

ShadowGT
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ShadowGT » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:59 pm

Yup thats the scene. Thanks :)

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”