What You Did NOT Like About Evangelion

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: What You Did NOT Like About Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:23 am

I suppose Kaworu goes through a similar process as Rei after dying.
With Kaworu it seems he became wiser somehow. I think he also learned new things by becoming one with Rei.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:12 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:I think he also learned new things by becoming one with Rei.

This sounds horribly horribly wrong
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:24 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:This sounds horribly horribly wrong

Now that you point it out...yes lol
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:01 pm

^ If you replace Rei with god, it doesn't seem so... dirty.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:23 pm

I hate that we didn't get to see Kyoko.....In actual human form and no, that one scene with her in the hospital with the doll doesn't count. We only saw a glimpse, her profile.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:29 pm

^ At least Sadamoto showed her to us in the bonus chapter of the manga, albeit before she had Asuka. But it would have been nice to see her during one of Asuka's memories doing mom stuff with a precocious redhead.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:46 am

View Original PostRei IV wrote:I hate that we didn't get to see Kyoko.....In actual human form and no, that one scene with her in the hospital with the doll doesn't count. We only saw a glimpse, her profile.

It might be worth reading the manga version as you get to see way more of Kyoko and the EOE scene where Asuka meets her is way better as you get to see Kyoko's whole profile not a quick vision and the scene is much longer and more meaningful and the hosbital flashbacks are also better as there darker and reflect young Asuka pain of not being able to speak to her.

I'm not surprised that the Ikari Rising Manga and Campus Apocalypse both use Sadamoto's design for Kyoko and beef her character out even more as its just a much better version in my view as she clearly loves Asuka and its shown very deeply.

SPOILER: Show
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:00 am

So, the past 3 times I’ve watched NGE it was all 26 episodes + EoE within the span of one day. In that context, I’ve started to not like Episode 22’. Like, not at all. Don’t get me wrong, the episode is stunningly well executed and is one of the most powerful moments in the whole franchise, and watching NGE slowly over the course of a week or a month will allow you to enjoy it for all of its nuances and genius moments. But in the context of a day-long binge, it doesn’t feel like you’re enjoying great art anymore. It feels more more like great art has locked all the doors and windows and suffocates you until you begin to pass out. And all of the episodes following that are all downhill from there, sending you on a dizzying and numbing journey into the bitter depths of emotional turmoil and existential emptiness.

Other than that, Episode 11 looks really weird and sloppy for being animated by Studio Ghibli.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:02 am

I had forgotten about Kyoko's appearance in the manga. LOL. It was actually one of the things the manga did better than the series.

:facepalm:

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:08 am

View Original PostRei IV wrote:I had forgotten about Kyoko's appearance in the manga. LOL. It was actually one of the things the manga did better than the series.

:facepalm:

Well, Mari's appearance does sort of overshadow the smart sexy blonde, but it was nice to see her nonetheless. She's also in the Shinji Ikari Raising Project manga, but she naps a lot, so she's not around a lot there either. But she totally ships Shinji/Asuka.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:19 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:But in the context of a day-long binge, it doesn’t feel like you’re enjoying great art anymore. It feels more more like great art has locked all the doors and windows and suffocates you until you begin to pass out. And all of the episodes following that are all downhill from there, sending you on a dizzying and numbing journey into the bitter depths of emotional turmoil and existential emptiness.

Dat lance thro tho.

I enjoy that about Eva. It's depressing but beautiful in how honest it is. Also makes the (imo) positive conclusion all the more powerful.

Other than that, Episode 11 looks really weird and sloppy for being animated by Studio Ghibli.

I've often heard this, is it confirmed? I mean the eyes look like Ghibli-eyes.
The animation will depend a lot on which specific artists are working on it, time, budget, etc. So I can see that happening even to Ghibli.

ACGT-Samael
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ACGT-Samael » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:57 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:I suppose Kaworu goes through a similar process as Rei after dying.
With Kaworu it seems he became wiser somehow. I think he also learned new things by becoming one with Rei.

Seeing as Lilith's a Fruit of Wisdom type being I'm not surprised Adam became more wise by fusing with her. I mean, this is a guy so flighty he forgot SEELE told him Adam was fused into Gendo the moment he got to Terminal Dogma.

Also, if metatextual stuff is valid... my new biggest gripe would be the myopic viewpoints harboured by some portions of the fanbase because of the show's weird nature. Like a while back I tried to talk about Eva with a guy on another platform and he straight up told me Eva is a character drama, no more no less, and discussing any of the Sci-fi elements of the show is missing the point of it and therefore makes you stupid for not getting that.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:11 am

^ Well all the Angels to some extent act like feral beasts with little sense or purpose beyond merging with what they perceive to be Adam. We also have no indication that SEELE is aware that Gendo has fused with Adam's embryo.

ACGT-Samael
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ACGT-Samael » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:14 am

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:^ Well all the Angels to some extent act like feral beasts with little sense or purpose beyond merging with what they perceive to be Adam. We also have no indication that SEELE is aware that Gendo has fused with Adam's embryo.

Right, so when Kiel told Kaworu at the lake that Adam's body existed within Ikari, he was just saying random stuff to motivate Kaworu and didn't know it was actually true.

But this is kind of off topic, we should use a thread about discussing the Fruits.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:22 am

^ Yes, but that happened in the Director's Cut. In the original episode, Kaworu implies he was lied to about Adam being crucified in Terminal Dogma.

But you're right, this should probably be continued in a different thread.

ACGT-Samael
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ACGT-Samael » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:28 am

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:^ Yes, but that happened in the Director's Cut. In the original episode, Kaworu implies he was lied to about Adam being crucified in Terminal Dogma.

But you're right, this should probably be continued in a different thread.

Thing is, EoE specifically follows the Director's Cut, and Kaworu himself is a good indication of that. As originally presented, he was just another Angel; the DC established his soul as being that of Adam, which are eventually reunited with its embryonic body. THIS is why Kaworu appears as part of GNR; like Lilith, Adam has come to see itself as Kaworu because of his time spent under that identity. If Kaworu were just a random Angel, as the on air version implied, he'd have no reason to be part of that being.

/end tangent

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:26 pm

Like a while back I tried to talk about Eva with a guy on another platform and he straight up told me Eva is a character drama, no more no less, and discussing any of the Sci-fi elements of the show is missing the point of it and therefore makes you stupid for not getting that.

Tell that guy that several episodes are named after sci-fi novels, including the last ones.
Even if the sci-fi isn't the central topic, it serves the story and is worth analyzing.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:00 am

Toji losing an arm and a leg after being critically injured by Dummy Plug Unit 01. I was hoping they could find a way to manually eject his plug before it got to that phase and maybe he could fight again with the main trio of chosen children.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:18 am

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:Toji losing an arm and a leg after being critically injured by Dummy Plug Unit 01. I was hoping they could find a way to manually eject his plug before it got to that phase and maybe he could fight again with the main trio of chosen children.

So do you dislike the manga's take on those events even more than the anime's?

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:30 am

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:So do you dislike the manga's take on those events even more than the anime's?

I know about the manga's take and while it displeases me, for some reason I seem to be indifferent to it... The anime version is the one that I pay more attention to.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”